Feeling overwhelmed with So Cal vac planning!

kymom94

Earning My Ears
Hello. I'm a newbie, but have followed this website on many an occasion for WDW trips.

We are making our 1st trip to CA. We are flying into LAX in early June and have 2 days planned at DL. Then we are heading south. We fly home 9 days later out of SAN. Our kids are 7, 5, & 5. We want to do LL, SW, maybe the zoo. We can't decide about a city pass, or maybe getting a go card. I am thinking 2 days LL and 2 days SW. We also want to do the beach, maybe whale watching, seals, USS Midway. I am having some difficulty deciding where to stay (what part of town). I don't know if any of the parks would be a good choice on the weekend.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I don't have any advice...just know you're not alone!

We're going in late July/early August for 10 days. We're spending 5 days in San Diego to start and then 5 days at DL. We're flying into and out of SNA.

Right now I have booked at both Homewood Suites Carlsbad as well as West Inn and Suites in Carlsbad. Neither have great prices for that time ($189 and $239 a night respectively) but they both have great reviews on Tripadvisor. We decided on Carlsbad because we are going to do 2 days at Legoland and because it seemed like a good location--easy to get to everywhere from there.

Legoland is opening a water park in June so we're going to do our first day in SD at Legoland...then do Sea World...then the Zoo...then do Legoland Water Park...then our last day will be a beach day. We'll switch that all around if the weather looks like another day is better for a beach day.

For DL we are staying at the Hyatt Regency Orange County. Reasons...I like Hyatts...I wanted a shuttle...they are part of the buy 3 get 2 days free deal--so we got 5 nights, 5 day park hoppers for $1300 which I thought was pretty good.

:)

Used to live in SD and visited SW last summer. I personally would not recommend 2 days there. One is enough. I wrote up some of my thoughts last summer here:

After a Sea World Visit, Why Do I Always Feel Like I Never Want To Go Back There?

As for LegoLand that is not my thing. My kids loved legos but never had any desire to visit there.

Where to stay? You better get on that soon. It will be summer and all.

Do you want a conventional hotel? Condo with kitchen? Near or on the beach?

Have a great trip! :wizard:

So are you planning on staying in Carlsbad and commuting to SD the other days? That's what we can't decide cuz we want to split our days at LL like you. We thought about staying in Carlsbad for a couple of nights then going to SD and staying closer to SW the rest of our vac. The last day we would just commute to LL.

As for DL we are staying at HoJo, but only doing 2 days at DL. HoJo has a water park and shuttle, but is only an 8 minute walk. We are Hilton/Hampton Inn people but this hotel has come highly recommended. Sounds like you got a great deal on DL!

Thanks hydroguy for your post!

So, are you guys more of a Disney family? We LOVE all things Disney, but have only been to WDW. I was thinking my kids would really enjoy LL. We were thinking of buying a 1 day tix and upgrading to another day if it goes well. Thanks for the advice about SW. Since we have never been (even in Orlando) I have no idea what to expect.

As for hotels, I am more in need of direction of what part of town to stay in? How is the commute from SD to Carlsbad? I don't want to sit in traffic for 1-2hr each way. I would rather be closer to the park. I know I have to get hopping on the reservations, it is coming up quick, but with no inside info, I am finding it overwhelming! It seems not many people in KY vacation to CA!
We are looking more for a conventional hotel, not to condo, maybe just a frig & microwave, and yes, near the beach for at least some of the time (ie if we stay @ Carlsbad for 2 nights and the rest at SD, maybe stay near the beach in SD). So what do you think about what city to stay in? Half way? We were looking at a Hampton Inn in Potaway since we can get 4 free nights there with DH hotel points. Is that in close proximity or easy access to beach, Carlsbad, SD?

What is your take on a go pass? (includes unlimited visits to SW, Zoo, WAP, Legoland, but NOT disney) What about a city pass (includes 3 days Disney, 1 SW, 1 Zoo or WAP, and 1 US but not LL) We were planning on skipping US cuz I think my kids are too young and too short to enjoy the rides for the price?

Also, being a local, any advice on something not to miss? But just a reminder, we have 3 kids ages 7, 5, & 5.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hojo doesn't have a shuttle...that's one of the reasons we decided not to stay there. I just went with my gut and hope I made the right decision!

We're going to commute the other days--I understand it's only a half hour drive. We just decided it would be worth not changing hotels in the middle of the week so we'll stay there.

As for Sea World...my husband and I would skip it if we could. Our daughter really wants to go--so we will go for one day. We have been to the Aquarium in Vancouver and she loved it, I think she thinks it will be like that--but I don't think it will be anything like it. We're also going to do one day at the Zoo.

So are you planning on staying in Carlsbad and commuting to SD the other days? That's what we can't decide cuz we want to split our days at LL like you. We thought about staying in Carlsbad for a couple of nights then going to SD and staying closer to SW the rest of our vac. The last day we would just commute to LL.

As for DL we are staying at HoJo, but only doing 2 days at DL. HoJo has a water park and shuttle, but is only an 8 minute walk. We are Hilton/Hampton Inn people but this hotel has come highly recommended. Sounds like you got a great deal on DL!

So, are you guys more of a Disney family? We LOVE all things Disney, but have only been to WDW. I was thinking my kids would really enjoy LL. We were thinking of buying a 1 day tix and upgrading to another day if it goes well. Thanks for the advice about SW. Since we have never been (even in Orlando) I have no idea what to expect.
Yes and no. I am a Disney fanatic and my kids all love it to some degree. But DW and I have tried hard to get them real world experiences as well - skiing/snowboarding, camping, rafting, snorkeling, scuba, sailing, etc. We do not vacation at Disney. We do Disney for fun.

We still have family in SoCal (grandparents, cousins, etc) and usually visit in the summer and head down to Oceanside/Carlsbad for a week at the beach. We will be there first week of August this year, with a few DLR days the week before.

My kids do like SW and do like USH, but being teenage boys really like rollercoasters (they rave about Cedar Point in Ohio). We do SWSD and USH on day trips once every four years or so. We have never done SW or US in Orlando. When we go to Orlando we go for Disney.

They have never expressed an interest in LL and I have heard it really appeals more to the under 12 crowd. So we have never gone.

As for hotels, I am more in need of direction of what part of town to stay in? How is the commute from SD to Carlsbad? I don't want to sit in traffic for 1-2hr each way. I would rather be closer to the park. I know I have to get hopping on the reservations, it is coming up quick, but with no inside info, I am finding it overwhelming! It seems not many people in KY vacation to CA!
We are looking more for a conventional hotel, not to condo, maybe just a frig & microwave, and yes, near the beach for at least some of the time (ie if we stay @ Carlsbad for 2 nights and the rest at SD, maybe stay near the beach in SD). So what do you think about what city to stay in? Half way? We were looking at a Hampton Inn in Potaway since we can get 4 free nights there with DH hotel points. Is that in close proximity or easy access to beach, Carlsbad, SD?
Do not do Poway (I think that is what you meant?). It is too far out of the way for where you want to go and not near the beach - well 10 miles away.

The commute from Carlsbad to SW and the zoo can be a zoo. The traffic flow is from Carlsbad to SD on morning weekdays and from SD back in the evenings. If you get caught in that traffic your kids may hear some language from you that you wish they hadn't. It is really slow. Could take 90 minutes or more to cover that 30 miles.

So if you want to limit moving around it would be better to stay in SD and drive up to LL (goes against the traffic direction). But if you do LL two days that will be a bit of a hike. Not sure if it is worth moving.

A place we stayed at in Carlsbad when our kids were small was here: http://www.beachterraceinn.com/. We stayed there 4 or 5 summers.

Also, spend some time at the beach! Build sand castles and throw around frisbees or footballs. Get some sun. Go in the water.

In SD for hotels there are many choices. Hotel Circle has lots of options and is not that far from SW or the zoo (3-4 miles). Near the beach but not on the beach. There are options much closer to the beach. Do a google search. DW and I stayed at here once http://www.islandpalms.com/ when we left kids with grandparents.

If you want something more halfway you might look in Del Mar or nearby. Lots of options up and down the coast.

What is your take on a go pass? (includes unlimited visits to SW, Zoo, WAP, Legoland, but NOT disney) What about a city pass (includes 3 days Disney, 1 SW, 1 Zoo or WAP, and 1 US but not LL) We were planning on skipping US cuz I think my kids are too young and too short to enjoy the rides for the price?
Never done the passes and I have no opinion. :confused3

WAP is cool but sort of like AK. Worth it? If you have time, I guess. I like the SD Zoo better.

Would your kids enjoy USH? If they are into movies, yes they would enjoy it.

Also, being a local, any advice on something not to miss? But just a reminder, we have 3 kids ages 7, 5, & 5.
Former local. Born and grew up in the area, but now I love my Colorado Rocky mountains. :goodvibes

Thanks to both Erinbharris and Hydroguy. Definitely something to chew on. I really appreciate the info regarding the traffic and Poway (sorry about earlier misspelling). Those are both things I had no idea of. This will help us make our decision, hopefully in the next couple days!

See the things I didn't think about? Our days will be Wed/Thurs/Friday/Sat/Sunday in SD area...so I guess we'll do LL first and then the beach and then venture to SD on the weekend trying to avoid the traffic.

Reading all the posts as I am also a newbie to SoCa. My situation is a little different than yours as we are staying in the San Diego area 3 nights and Disneyland for 4 nights. I have teenage kids- DD15 and DS12. My kids are too old for LL so we are skipping it. We are going to buy the SoCa pass and visit SW, SD Zoo, USH, and DL.
It was overwhelming deciding what to do and where to stay. In San Diego we also want some beach/snorkel time and I want to visit Seaport Village. I have decided -- after looking at dozens resorts and hotels-- to stay in Coronado Beach. I got a great rate at the Glorietta Bay Inn. We were going to stay in La Jolla but all the really nice hotels were very expensive there. Hopefully getting from Coronado to SW won't be too bad. We can either go on a Friday or Saturday. Any advice from Cali natives?? We plan on visiting the zoo on our drive on Sunday to Anaheim.
Good luck with your planning!!

I have been trying to make this very same decision all week - so am anxious to hear any suggestions. TIA!!

I am thinking 2 days LL and 2 days SW.
Yikes. I wouldn't spend 2 days at each. One will be plenty. Sea World is actually pretty small.

I have decided -- after looking at dozens resorts and hotels-- to stay in Coronado Beach. I got a great rate at the Glorietta Bay Inn. We were going to stay in La Jolla but all the really nice hotels were very expensive there. Hopefully getting from Coronado to SW won't be too bad.

Coronado to Seaworld will be an easy drive. Just go over the Coronado bridge. :)

Yikes. I wouldn't spend 2 days at each. One will be plenty. Sea World is actually pretty small.

Yes, for locals with a fun pass, 2 days at LL and SW would be too many.

I tried to SW in one day with my sister last summer, and we didn't end up being able to fit everything in. For a one-time trip, I think SW works better for 2 days - I think there are 5 shows, 4 major rides, smaller rides, then at least a dozen exhibits (rocky point, penguins, otters, rays, seals/sea lions, aquariums, sharks, etc...)

LL you can do in one day if you skip the shows. I live 10 minutes from LL and have never gone to a show...I don't know what you'll be missing! But if you want to do SeaLife and maybe the new water park you'll probably need the 2nd day. LL rides load slow, and weekdays they are innundated by groups until 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

I agree with the advice about not staying in Carlsbad - I'd try to find somewhere further south. Sorry, no recommendations!

This forum has been sooo helpful. I think we have finally decided. I will share our itinerary for those who are planning and are interested:

We wound up buying the City pass. It was cheaper for us in the long run. Arrive LAX staying at HoJo, DL 3 days, US 1 day. Heading South to SD going to beach, USS Midway, whatever for a day. We are staying in downtown SD and are going to SW 1 day, LL 1 day and the zoo 1 day. Since we are staying close to the beach in SD, I am hoping for some evening time at the beach as well. I think the parks close early in early June.
Again, I appreciate everyone's insight about traffic, time spent at parks, and just sharing ideas. This has been wonderful!

We wound up buying the City pass. It was cheaper for us in the long run. Arrive LAX staying at HoJo, DL 3 days, US 1 day. Heading South to SD going to beach, USS Midway, whatever for a day. We are staying in downtown SD and are going to SW 1 day, LL 1 day and the zoo 1 day. Since we are staying close to the beach in SD, I am hoping for some evening time at the beach as well. I think the parks close early in early June.
Again, I appreciate everyone's insight about traffic, time spent at parks, and just sharing ideas. This has been wonderful!

sounds good! :thumbsup2 what beach are you planning on going to?

One more thing for those familiar with SD. What is your opinion on the trolley system? We are staying downtown and are considering using it to get around. It looks like it goes everywhere we need to go in SD~ SW, zoo, La Jolla, even LL! Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks again!

One more thing for those familiar with SD. What is your opinion on the trolley system? We are staying downtown and are considering using it to get around. It looks like it goes everywhere we need to go in SD~ SW, zoo, La Jolla, even LL! Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks again!

The trolley doesn't go to those places. Downtown, Old Town, La Mesa, Santee, down to the Mexico border and Mission Valley area.

Not up the coast.

The trolley doesn't go to those places. Downtown, Old Town, La Mesa, Santee, down to the Mexico border and Mission Valley area.

Not up the coast.
I am on the MTS website. It has line 8 & 9 going there. Is this a bus service? Not really for tourists?
The reason we are asking is that we were going to stay downtown. There is a $12 a day parking fee. If we stay at the SW airport hotel, the cost is about the same, but parking is free. I would rather be on the line downtown if we are going to use it though.

Thanks for the advice!

We are definitely going to La Jolla. In the evenings or if we have some free time Ocean beach is closer. Is this a good beach? Sound we stick with Mission Beach?
Strongly recommend Mission Beach over Ocean Beach. OB always seemed more grungy and run down to me. As you go north to Mission Beach and Pacific Beach the beaches are more upbeat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter