Feeling overwhelmed, can you help with a starting point?

tycopj

Mouseketeer
I'm really hoping a few of you can help me out. We have decided that we want to visit Disney World in April, we want to stay at the All Stars Movies resort and we would like hopper tickets. I'm pretty sure we don't want the dining plan, that's about all we know. Our dates aren't set in stone so we have some flexibility.

I have a AAA card, Costco card and Disney Visa. Which of these, and/or any combination of these will be helpful.

I'm not sure if I should book a package or put it together separately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really don't even know where to start :confused3

Oh, if it matters, there will be 2 adults and 2 kids (10yr and 5yr):)

Easiest answer to what will get you the best discount is to call CRO and ask them. They can tell you what rates are available for each discount.

I agree. Price some things out on your own and then call Disney direct and see what they can do.

I found the planning to be very frustrating and overwhelming. :( But it's all worth it in the end! :)

I always quote my trip via CRO/Disneyworld.com first so I know what my starting point is and I use that as my foundation.

I'd then call AAA and see what they quote you and how that compares to your original quote. I know that you can get a decent AAA package price and if you hop over to the codes and rates section of the board you might have better luck with more AAA related questions. The one complaint I hear the most is that everything via your reservation has to go through AAA and that Disney themselves doesn't actually see it until a few days prior to check-in/if that. This can be a hassle when you need to make frequent changes/requests/etc.

I'd then stay posted to any new packages via CRO directly and your Disney Visa. Your Disney Visa will sometimes release "exclusive" packages, but mainly card holders will recieve a 3-day headstart for booking a package. This was a huge advantage for us during the Free Dinning promotion in September.

The biggest thing is going to be keeping your eyes and ears open constantly. Some posters suggest at least booking a room or package to "gaurentee" you'll have a room come June, and switching over your reservation once a new discounted package is released. I will say that I've noticed discounted packages for the value resorts sell fast and even booking a room ahead time will not gaurentee you'll get the discount package rate applied. Everything is first come first serve and hence why you need to always be on the alert about package release dates, etc.

Overall, I've always been most comfortable with booking through Disney directly but sometimes I regret not joing AAA for the great rates they can sometimes have. We have never once paid "rack rate" for any Disney package that we have purchased and we never plan to!

Might I sugget you start with a Guide Book. My favorite is the Passporter Walt Disney World. It has everything you need to know about WDW. I get one every year that we take one of our longer trips, because they update it regularly, they also have a website where you can order the book at a significant discount (PM me for details). It has fold out, color maps of the parks, room layout graphs for each resort and they go into alot of detail about each resort. I couldn't have booked my first big trip withoutit. Oh, and there are folders in the back where you can keep up with coupons, notes, and you can also write info on them.

The others gave great advice, but I was lost after booking my first trip, so I went out and bought guide books, then I found the DIS. I have been to WDW 5 times since June 2005 and still feel like I need a guide book. It is also a way to keep up with all my plans, knowing I won't loose the book.

There is also another book I recommend for first timers and it is called Complete Walt Disney World. It is not necessarily a guide book, but more of telling great descriptions of the parks and rides. They also include a trivia section, and they tell about things most visitors wouldn't think to look for.

Suzanne princess:

Suzanne princess:

HI! First, I don't know about the Costco card, but I have a disney visa and I used it to book my trip. There may not be a discount right now, but as long as you use your disney visa to pay your $200.00 deposit they will let you apply the discount to your reservation if they later offer a disney visa discount. I know Disney also periodically offers AAA discounts, but I don't know anything about that - sorry. Someone with more knowledge correct me if I'm wrong, but I think at this point your best bet would be to book a room only. Then later if Disney offers a package you can change to a package and get your tickets as well. But if Disney only offers a "room only" discount then you are set because you have a room only reservation. You can always get your tickets when you get there or at your local Disney Store. Also, if I can recommend a website to you - try www.allearsnet.com. It is a very comprehensive website and is very easy to navigate. You can also sign up for their free newsletter that will let you know of any specials. The other newsletter I would sign up for is the one at Mousesavers.com (also free) Either way you should know at least a day or two in advance of any discount offer disney is going to have. Good luck and have fun!

Hi

Make sure to check out Maple Leaf Tickets

http://www.mapleleaftickets.com/

I found out about this service on mousesavers.

They have a good deal on Park Hopper Tickets where if you buy a 4 day ticket they give you a fifth day for free.

My last trip I bought my Maple Leaf tickets from home at the last minute and had them delivered to Pop Century. They were there on our arrival and the girl behind the desk had the tickets transferred onto our room cards!

The other suggestion I would have for you, is to take it easy. I found my kids had trouble coping with WDW until they were over 8. There is still a lot to do and see that is fun for a small child, i.e. eating an ice cream, listening to bands and watching street performers can be just or more fun than trying to see as much as possible because it is so darn expensive.

I'll be there in April too-see you in line :)

Mitla

Are you flying? We usually pick our dates based on the best possible rates on convenient flights. We go to budget airline websites (AirTran, JetBlue, Spirit, etc.) and find what kind of deals we can get on the airfare, and go with the best one if we can get the time off. Generally, flying mid-week is cheaper for us. We are also going in April for the kids' spring break, and we "have to" pull them out of school for a few days before the break starts, otherwise the cost of the flights would have been prohibitive.

I din't actually BOOK the flights just yet, because then I had to make sure there's availability at the Disney Resort where I want to stay. To book a room, I always call (407) WDISNEY (central reservations), and ask to price room only, the tickets I want, then packages with and without dining. Then I ask if there are any discounts available for my travel dates. This time, so far the best available rate for my dates is the AAA discount. So I booked that, then the flights immediately afterward.

Now, I haven't given up hope of finding an even BETTER hotel rate or package price. I just keep watching these boards for info about discounts, and if one comes out that is better than AAA, I will call CRO and switch. I already know rack rates and AAA rates for everything (since my research is already done), so when codes come out, I will know if they are good deals for our family. We usually get our hearts set on a particular resort and room category, but if you can be very flexible, sometimes unexpected GREAT discounts pop up.

I can't stress the value of the budget board. We've saved many hundreds of dollars on just a few trips over the years thanks to the Dis. You have definitely come to the right place!

Hope this helps, and that you have a fun time planning! I just LOVE planning trips to Disney! It can be a lot of work, but it's work I like to do myself instead of handing it over to an agent.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter