Feeling odd about recent decision *Update Page 7*

No one told the OP to dump her pets - the poster said let family or friends take them while you get back on your feet. If it's a question of sending my pets to live with someone else or feeding my family, there's no question.
And sometimes sacrifices need to be made like no air conditioning, cellphones, entertainment etc for awhile so bills can be paid.

What choices would you make?
I would find someone to take my pet. Period. Pets are important but they aren't people. I am not diminishing the love of pets. I love my pet. I take good care of my pet. But I would not go without medication or food in order to keep a large number of animals I cannot afford.

I feel for the OP. It is a terrible position to be in. But she needs to take care of her health first.

If you quality for food stamps, then don't feel bad about taking them. There's severe income/liquid asset limits on who they give them out to, so if they feel you need it, you really do.

It sounds like you're getting help with your pets already, so I don't know why people here keep bringing them up.:confused3

CinRell, you reminded me that I should donate to the Michigan rescue league where I got one of our dogs. Such a great no kill shelter and they need all the help they can get right now. I also give to our local food pantry, so I help people and animals.

Such a great no kill shelter and they need all the help they can get right now. I also give to our local food pantry, so I help people and animals.[/B][/QUOTE]

I am so glad to see that there are still people out there helping out when they can. My dd always donates her yard sale money to her favorite charity and this year it was to our local food pantry. We went and bought $20 worth of can goods and she was so happy to help. Maybe we should judge less and give more. Dax we are putting you in our thoughts and prayers keep trying and things will get better.

Don't feel bad because you have to apply for FS, you do what you have to, to get by, in this bad time. If they can't help you, maybe they can send you in the right direction. And shame on you people here that are judging the OP and their lives...shame on you...if she can't find a job, what makes you think her husband can find a second job---jobs are not easy to come by---even McDonalds.

CinRell, you reminded me that I should donate to the Michigan rescue league where I got one of our dogs. Such a great no kill shelter and they need all the help they can get right now. I also give to our local food pantry, so I help people and animals.

:hug::hug::hug::hug:

A final suggestion may be to look into ideas regarding lowering your electric bill. $200 seems somewhat high for a family of only 2? Are there any areas that this could be cut? Change the setting on your hot water heater, your air conditioner, do you have a pool pump? Unplug unnecessary appliances that look like they are turned off, but are really in stand by and are drawing power? Switch to CFL lightbulbs? Make sure you are not leaving lights or fans on in unoccupied rooms (bad habit of mine). We have the air vents totally closed in rooms of the house we don't use (like guest bedrooms), and keep their doors closed so we are not air conditioning rooms we don't need to.
It doesn't seem high to me AT ALL! I'm also in FL and I'd be thrilled if my electric bill were $200 or less. And I don't live in a mansion either...maybe 1800 sqft or so. But the unit is old and probably not as efficient as a new one would be.

I am working on getting the electric bill down. Honestly, the house is not super when it comes to keeping the warm air out, but we are renting, and doing best we can on that. Honestly, our electric bill used to be close to $300 in our other homes, so we feel we are doing well on that front. Summer in FL is expensive.
I agree!

I agree about the Florida heat. Keep that air running for health reasons. Also, a garden could help with the fresh fruits and veggies. They are outrageously priced here so I cut some things to make sure that the kids have good produce. We do not eat every day. Beans, rice and pasta are stretching meals a little further........

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but this post upset me greatly. AND they are SSR owners and have a WDW vacation planned within the next year. Before people jump on the OP and worrying about her pets, maybe someone should be worrying about this poster's kids!

lts862, if this was a typo, I apologize greatly.

OP, I also get migraines. Believe it or not, but Excedrin works just as well for me as the Rx stuff.

Good luck.

Some of the remarks on here are really ludacris! All Dax wanted was some advise,not people knocking her down,and making her feel worse! Dax, I live in Clermont,please feel free to pm me if you need ANYTHING. I have food, an extra room,whatever. I will not judge.I have worked for HRS in past,for FoodStamps.It's there for people who need them. Florida is in a bad shape right now,just like many other states.It's not easy to pick up and relocate-it takes money to start over.I feel for you,Dax. I feel for anyone in this situation.

Some of the remarks on here are really ludacris! All Dax wanted was some advise,not people knocking her down,and making her feel worse! Dax, I live in Clermont,please feel free to pm me if you need ANYTHING. I have food, an extra room,whatever. I will not judge.I have worked for HRS in past,for FoodStamps.It's there for people who need them. Florida is in a bad shape right now,just like many other states.It's not easy to pick up and relocate-it takes money to start over.I feel for you,Dax. I feel for anyone in this situation.

:hug:

I'm definitely a lurker and have been for years on this site but I have to say to knock it off. This person pretty much stated from the beginning what was going on and that she was going to apply for FS. All she wanted was a little confirmation that she wasn't leaving some stone unturned and a little sympathy for her situation. Now 90% of the replies have been supporting while a few are basically saying you're not looking hard enough for work or get rid of your pets.

Now, I don't even like pets...not even the dog we have for our autistic son but I'm not going to judge anyone on this. I may not understand but I do realize that some people think of their pets as highly as others do their own kids. It's apparent she got these pets in better times so I can't see why you'd expect someone to get rid of them when things go bad. I don't think I'd get rid of my kids if I lost my job and had to go on food stamps.

As for going to WDW for your anniversary. Good for you and what a nice thing for your family to do also. In tough times it's these little things that matter the most. I've been unemployed several times and can honestly say the little picnics and trips to the zoo have been just as much fun as any day of some well planned, expensive trip to WDW.

Lastly, about the folks that say she's not looking hard enough for work. Unless you know what she's doing your just being a jerk plain and simple. I don't know if she sits on a couch all day eating bon bons but neither do you. I'm assuming she is willing to take any job but there just aren't any available. Unemployment varies from region to region. Here in Wisconsin it's not THAT bad...but my sister lives in Orlando and I know it's pretty tough there. Why on earth anyone would say or even ask if she's looking for a job before going on FS is beside me. Negative tone, negative person...just a jerk.

You know, before I leave I've got to say that DisBoards is turning into a real judgemental site. People come here to talk about Disney things and how their going to get closer to the Disney experience. In some cases, like this one, people are getting further away from this experience and come here to spout their frustrations and look for a little support. It seems that, in the last year or so, if anyone does that they get accusatory responses that their lazy or abusing the system or selfish. God forbid anyone have any debt problems and state them here. For the love of God never even say the word bankruptcy or you'll flamed into oblivion.

What on earth is disneyesque about some of the responses you people give. Constructive criticism is fine but some of you folks are downright mean and judgemental.

GL Dax and like my Grandfather always told me...just work hard and try your best and it'll all turn out right in the end.

Such a great no kill shelter and they need all the help they can get right now. I also give to our local food pantry, so I help people and animals.[/B]

[/QUOTE]I am so glad to see that there are still people out there helping out when they can. My dd always donates her yard sale money to her favorite charity and this year it was to our local food pantry. We went and bought $20 worth of can goods and she was so happy to help. Maybe we should judge less and give more. Dax we are putting you in our thoughts and prayers keep trying and things will get better.[/QUOTE]

:hug: right back to you. Your dd is doing a great thing with her money.

I hope this thread reminds people to give to your local food pantry to help those who don't have enough to eat and make just a little too much to get food stamps.

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but this post upset me greatly. AND they are SSR owners and have a WDW vacation planned within the next year. Before people jump on the OP and worrying about her pets, maybe someone should be worrying about this poster's kids!

lts862, if this was a typo, I apologize greatly.

OP, I also get migraines. Believe it or not, but Excedrin works just as well for me as the Rx stuff.

Good luck.

I'm guessing she meant to say they don't eat meat every day, especially when she mentions using beans etc. to stretch. That's an easy, popular way to reduce your food expenditures.

I'm definitely a lurker and have been for years on this site but I have to say to knock it off. This person pretty much stated from the beginning what was going on and that she was going to apply for FS. All she wanted was a little confirmation that she wasn't leaving some stone unturned and a little sympathy for her situation. Now 90% of the replies have been supporting while a few are basically saying you're not looking hard enough for work or get rid of your pets.

Now, I don't even like pets...not even the dog we have for our autistic son but I'm not going to judge anyone on this. I may not understand but I do realize that some people think of their pets as highly as others do their own kids. It's apparent she got these pets in better times so I can't see why you'd expect someone to get rid of them when things go bad. I don't think I'd get rid of my kids if I lost my job and had to go on food stamps.

As for going to WDW for your anniversary. Good for you and what a nice thing for your family to do also. In tough times it's these little things that matter the most. I've been unemployed several times and can honestly say the little picnics and trips to the zoo have been just as much fun as any day of some well planned, expensive trip to WDW.

Lastly, about the folks that say she's not looking hard enough for work. Unless you know what she's doing your just being a jerk plain and simple. I don't know if she sits on a couch all day eating bon bons but neither do you. I'm assuming she is willing to take any job but there just aren't any available. Unemployment varies from region to region. Here in Wisconsin it's not THAT bad...but my sister lives in Orlando and I know it's pretty tough there. Why on earth anyone would say or even ask if she's looking for a job before going on FS is beside me. Negative tone, negative person...just a jerk.

You know, before I leave I've got to say that DisBoards is turning into a real judgemental site. People come here to talk about Disney things and how their going to get closer to the Disney experience. In some cases, like this one, people are getting further away from this experience and come here to spout their frustrations and look for a little support. It seems that, in the last year or so, if anyone does that they get accusatory responses that their lazy or abusing the system or selfish. God forbid anyone have any debt problems and state them here. For the love of God never even say the word bankruptcy or you'll flamed into oblivion.

What on earth is disneyesque about some of the responses you people give. Constructive criticism is fine but some of you folks are downright mean and judgemental.

GL Dax and like my Grandfather always told me...just work hard and try your best and it'll all turn out right in the end.

:worship: Bravo to you both! Well said. To the OP, keep your chin up and keep working towards your goals. Once you are back on your feet, make it a point to remember your tougher times and try to give back to local food banks and animal shelters. This is one way to give back and to others show how much you appreciated their help and how others can make it just like you will. Much hugs to you :hug:

I'm with you.

You know, I get just as annoyed as the next person when I see somebody abusing public assistance (assuming that I KNOW FOR SURE that they are abusing it), but in today's economy, there are many, many people looking for work.

OP, you have NO reason to be ashamed of anything. You have paid into the system for years. If you qualify, you qualify - end of story.

And like C.Ann, I have to get upset with those who say to "send your animals to somebody else to take care of them until you can". Most of the time there is nobody else. That's why people like me (and probably the OP) have so many - because others haven't been responsible pet owners.

Dax, best wishes to you and your family. I hope things get better for you soon.

ETA concerning your migraines: There are some drugstores that have sliding scale programs. Try checking into that. Also, some drug companies have programs right now for people in your situation. Lastly, your doctor might be able to help you with samples if they are made aware of your situation.

Good luck Dax! My family lives in Florida, and things are really tough there. Do what you have to to keep your family going. Not everyone is going to understand or even be kind enough to try. It sounds like you are just the type of person who should get assistance.

I just wanted to say I wish you the best, and think you did what you needed to do. I hope things work out for you.

It doesn't seem high to me AT ALL! I'm also in FL and I'd be thrilled if my electric bill were $200 or less. And I don't live in a mansion either...maybe 1800 sqft or so. But the unit is old and probably not as efficient as a new one would be.

I wasn't trying to pass judgment on people with higher electric bills than I have, just trying to offer some constructive ways the OP might be able to cut the electric bill to free up some money for other expenses.

Believe me, I know FL is hot. :scared: (think sweating instead of scared and it works right? ;) ).

We are a household of 2 adults and one kitty. Usually have at least three ceiling fans on at any given time, cook dinner in the oven maybe 5 nights a week, run the dishwasher maybe 2 nights a week, do at least one load of laundry (wash/dry) 5 times a week, constantly have at least 1 computer on, forget to turn off the closet light about 5 times a week and leave it on all day while I am at work (I have told SO he needs to get a motion sensor for the closet!), have the sprinkler system pump running 2 times a week (we are on restrictions in our area for days we can water), etc.

I call SO the air conditioner nazi (because he would always turn it up), but I have learned to live with it between 78-80 and I am by nature a warm person. Could we have the air at 72, sure, but it would run constantly, really taxing the unit (and I was under the impression that you shouldn't set the unit more than maybe 15 degrees lower than the outside temp to not over tax the unit) and the bills would be crazy.

We don't even do anything to really try to specifically conserve electricity, and my bill is lower, so I was just trying to offer some suggestions of things the OP might try, as I thought that a lower electricity bill might be a possibility for her. I figured (perhaps incorrectly?) that they would be using less energy than we would just based on the fact that she told us they have a limited diet (so I figured no big oven made meals sucking up energy), only her husband working, so probably less laundry (and I don't mean OP is wearing dirty clothing, just that I have my work clothes and then my at home clothes, then my night clothes, so I may change 3 times in one day, if OP is rarely outside the house, she might not be needing to wash as much).

Again, not trying to raise a debate about the cost of electricity in FL, just trying to help find the OP ways to make her budget last longer.

If you google food stamp eligibility 2009 it should give a chart of income to see if you are going to be able to get the food stamps. Also they take your income x by 4.333 and then / by 4. This would give you AGI so to speak for Food stamp eligibility. I am proud to say that when my kids were little we receive food stamps. Because we had this help my DH got a better paying job, I started my own business and we have been self sufficient for years. So much so that I have been able to go to college and work. I will start nursing school this fall! DO NOT FEEL GUILTY! Food stamps were meant to be stepping stone; if use them as such then feel grateful not guilt! If you are interested in retraining for a career their are lots of programs for people whom are on UI. Most extend your UI for you to return to college or etc. Good luck! :thumbsup2

We have relocated THREE times trying to find work. My DH will take any job he can. Right now is is at a job that is (as another poster so politely put it) beneath him. He is making enough money a month to pay the TWO bills we have left that we didn't fall upside down in. after that we are left on our backs again. We get assistance from FS. We don't have a home anymore. We don't have a car anymore. We don't have 'things' anymore. We live with family and with the job DH has we don't see the light at the end of our tunnel. I have a 13 month old dd. I can't pay for child care. I applied at THREE different Walmarts around here for night work. Nothing. I think it is wrong to assume people WON'T work just because they are on FS. Ever think that they ARE working and just can't make enough to live without it right now? I had my children in a time of financial gold for us. Not after I got on assistance.

I don't know if this would help any since I can't remember how close you are to the Greater New Orleans area but I know that there are construction and construction laborer jobs to be had in NO. My husband is a superintendent and they are dying for people who want to work down there. The best bet is commercial companies who are being hired to re-build and build all of the building destroyed by Katrina now that state and federal funding is coming in. If he has no experience he can get hired on as a helper and stil make between 11 and 18 dollars and hour plus he could be eligible for benefits. I know you said that you guys don't have a vehicle so this may not be a possibility for him but I thought I would offer the information in case it is something he can do. Some companies will even pay for him to take classes so he can move up from a helper to a carpenter in no time. Even though this industry isn't doing so well in other places LA is still one of the areas where construction is a good bet. I hope some of this info helped and if you would like more info including the name of the company he works for please feel free to PM me. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter