Feeling nostalgic

I really REALLY miss the Skyway. I was just a little kid, but I still remember so well going through the Matterhorn and thinking that was just the coolest thing ever.

I loved Peoplemovers. I think a lot of us did. Seeing the tracks sitting there with nothing on them is depressing. Plus, it was a huge crowd eater and a great way to sit down for a while and relax. The ride itself may not have been super thrilling, but it was also nice for those of us who were either too young to go on some of the faster rides or not into that type of ride to still have something to do and a little access to what we were missing out on.

I never got to ride the gondolas. I was still a kid when they shut them down and while they were open none of my family ever wanted to ride them with me. I remember when someone jumped out of them and fell into the Alice in Wonderland tree though.

I can't remember ever riding the Skyway but do miss the PeopleMover, especially the speed tunnels.

I very much miss PeopleMover and wish Disney would bring it back in some way. The gondolas, I did go on all the time as a kid also. I much preferred PeopleMover plus as others have said it was a wonderful way to relax. Way back now in 2009, I went to Sea World and rode their version of the gondolas which I enjoyed very much as a kid. I did not care for the ride at all in 2009 and in fact did not quite feel safe. The Disney version was, I'm sure much better :D I honestly don't remember it well.

I miss all the kinetic energy that Tomorrowland had.
When you entered Walt's TL you saw movement everywhere; on tracks, in the air - it was exciting and energizing and inspired awe.
Now the area is stagnant and uninspiring. You feel like your just walking through it to get someplace else.

When you entered Walt's TL you saw movement everywhere; on tracks, in the air - it was exciting and energizing and inspired awe.
Now the area is stagnant and uninspiring. You feel like your just walking through it to get someplace else.

Wow, I couldn't have said it better. Disneyland will never be the same for me since they removed the Peoplemover. My first time at Disneyland was around 1984 when I was eight years old. I was so nervous about riding Space Mountain that I would make my dad take me on the Peoplemover over and over just so I could get a glimpse of it and build my nerve up.

When I finally rode it, SM instantly became my second all time favorite ride. Peoplemover will always remain #1.

But yeah, there was something otherworldly about seeing the Peoplemover and Monorail cross paths overhead that just couldn't be explained. You summed it up better than I ever could. Nicely done!

Wow, I couldn't have said it better. Disneyland will never be the same for me since they removed the Peoplemover. My first time at Disneyland was around 1984 when I was eight years old. I was so nervous about riding Space Mountain that I would make my dad take me on the Peoplemover over and over just so I could get a glimpse of it and build my nerve up.

When I finally rode it, SM instantly became my second all time favorite ride. Peoplemover will always remain #1.

But yeah, there was something otherworldly about seeing the Peoplemover and Monorail cross paths overhead that just couldn't be explained. You summed it up better than I ever could. Nicely done!

Thanks for the kind words.
I first saw TL back in the 60's so I got to see the gondola's of the Skyway moving up high as well as all the other things we mentioned.
It was amazing!!!

OMG, it's very depressing now. I remember how much I loved it and for me the biggest icon for me was the Rocket Jets way up top of that platform. I was fascinated by it. But even the ride cues aren't the same. SM used to have those windows where you could hear and vaguely see this ominous ride and it really upped the anxiety. Or the little buckets above the line in Star Tours. And even though I wasn't a people mover fan, it was neat to see them rolling around all the time. Even the old Starcade was full of lights and sounds. Everything is so static now and seeing those relic tracks just sitting there is terrible.

OMG, it's very depressing now. I remember how much I loved it and for me the biggest icon for me was the Rocket Jets way up top of that platform. I was fascinated by it. But even the ride cues aren't the same. SM used to have those windows where you could hear and vaguely see this ominous ride and it really upped the anxiety. Or the little buckets above the line in Star Tours. And even though I wasn't a people mover fan, it was neat to see them rolling around all the time. Even the old Starcade was full of lights and sounds. Everything is so static now and seeing those relic tracks just sitting there is terrible.

You bring up excellent point regarding a technique Walt used; he had the rides interact with each other. Some wen't throgh another attraction or some just had a glimpse into another. What ever the case, it was pure brilliance.

I also miss the mini motor boat ride in the lagoon with/by the submarine lagoon. I think I only got to ride it on one trip back in about 1975 but it was one of the things I enjoyed most a s a kid. It was basically autotopia in a boat. Loved it!

motorboats_monorail.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter