Feeling left out staying off-site

Nakkira

DIS Veteran
I usually cannot afford to stay in a Disney owned resort and my up-coming trip is no exception. Trust me when I say that after extensive pricing even a Disney Value resort was going to cost me a couple hundred dollars more for a 5-day vacation.
Reading trip reports, planning tips, etc, I almost feel like an impostor on this sire because I am not stay on-site.
;)
Seriously though, the vast majority of DIS's stay on-site and honestly I think I am just jealous. I feel a little like the poor cousin.

Be I will not be returning to my room for mid-day naps or strolling around the resorts late at night because I may not get a shuttle back to my Econo Lodge.

I did stay at the Caribbean Beach resort once and loved it! Someday I hope to be able to do it again. Maybe even with dining plan! I would love to try more Disney dining experiences but have to make do with my Continental breakfast and some PB & J sammies for the majority of my meals.

Aww, cheer up! You get to visit Disney. Lots of us find that too expensive to do every year, let alone more than 1 time a year. Many of us stay off site. There's much better, cheaper accomodations, especially when you have a large family or need more room for your family. No second cousin here. This board is friendly to those on and off staying with Disney. No preference. While some like the "complete" Disney, take a look at the parking lots, many many do not stay in a Disney hotel. It's a personal choice. If you want to feel like a red headed stepchild, look at the Universal Orlando part of this board. Some of us like both parks. The horror! :scared1:

Anyway, I am jealous you are even going, as not in the cards for me this year.

Have a great trip! Part of any vacation is to enjoy it, so please enjoy!:thumbsup2

Have you checked out the downtown Disney hotels? They sit on Disney owned land (but are not Disney run hotels) have their own bus service to the parks that runs every 30 minutes all day long, and are walking distance to downtown Disney. So you get the benefit of bus service, staying very close, and are right by DTD for a cheaper price than Disney resorts. You can often find the Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort for dirt cheap. We decided to go this route because with 3 kids, we felt we needed a suite and what Disney was charging for a suite for our dates made me :faint: GL, I'm sure you will have fun whatever you decide!

Have you checked out the downtown Disney hotels? They sit on Disney owned land (but are not Disney run hotels) have their own bus service to the parks that runs every 30 minutes all day long, and are walking distance to downtown Disney. So you get the benefit of bus service, staying very close, and are right by DTD for a cheaper price than Disney resorts. You can often find the Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort for dirt cheap. We decided to go this route because with 3 kids, we felt we needed a suite and what Disney was charging for a suite for our dates made me :faint: GL, I'm sure you will have fun whatever you decide!

:listen:
I was unaware of this when I booked my trip, but will keep in mind for the furture! T
Thank you!

Aww, cheer up! You get to visit Disney. Lots of us find that too expensive to do every year, let alone more than 1 time a year. Many of us stay off site. There's much better, cheaper accomodations, especially when you have a large family or need more room for your family. No second cousin here. This board is friendly to those on and off staying with Disney. No preference. While some like the "complete" Disney, take a look at the parking lots, many many do not stay in a Disney hotel. It's a personal choice. If you want to feel like a red headed stepchild, look at the Universal Orlando part of this board. Some of us like both parks. The horror! :scared1:

Have a great trip! Part of any vacation is to enjoy it, so please enjoy!:thumbsup2

I am very happy and grateful I get to go at all. Like I said I was just starting to feel a tad left out Or like a poser) while reading some of the message boards.

Thank you!
:)

Totally agree :thumbsup2 .

The magic is what you make it. Whether you stay at the Econo Lodge or the Contemporary, it really doesn't matter. All that matters is that you are going!!

I am one of the weirdos here on the DIS that (gasp!) PREFERS to stay offsite. The dedicated onsiters can't fathom why we'd make that decision, and that's okay.......we all travel differently. This summer, we are getting a 1200 square foot two bedroom, two bathroom fully renovated villa with a Jacuzzi tub, full kitchen with granite countertops, 3 flat screen TV's, and a washer & dryer in a resort with 7 pools, mini golf, arcades, tennis courts, volleyball and basketball courts, onsite activities and more for the same price as a teeny tiny room at POP Century. Many feel sorry for me that we are not staying onsite. I feel sorry for those that are paying premium prices to stay in a motel-type room, with Disney decorating or not.

Don't let the other posters make you feel inferior or bad. Select an accommodation that works with your budget, then join us here to plan an amazing trip! Staying at Disney resort will not guarantee they have any better of a vacation than you do.

I can understand your feelings but I agree with the others, the most magical part of the trip is getting to go and enjoy yourself and not coming home with debt or money worries!!!
Gina my friend above you LOVES her offsite trips, writes the best trip reports and totally has me convinced that there is other ways to do Orlando and have a blast!
I was booked offsite but switched back for free dining as it worked better in our budget. I did feel a little sad before we switched because I am used to being onsite and know I enjoy it. But I know many many people stay offsite and have a blast!! You will too:goodvibes

I stay both onsite and offsite, depending on the season and my budget. I prefer a nicer hotel offsite than a value at Disney.

Enjoy your trip. Being at Disney is magic.

I understand where you're coming from. We went two years ago and had a free condo off-site. I was disappointed at first that we wouldn't be on site, but it was the free lodging that made the trip financially possible. My DH wasn't all that crazy about going to WDW before then because of the price tag. However, we had a wonderful vacation and didn't go into debt to do so, so DH was gung-ho when we decided to go again this summer.

We'll be staying off-site this trip too, but we will have one night at POP. We're driving down and will arrive in Orlando around 3 p.m., so my immediate family will just check out and enjoy the resort and pool on our arrival day. Then we check into a large villa with extended family the following day.

Sounds like you've got your upcoming trip all planned, but maybe you could visit a couple of the value resorts during your trip to pick your favorite, then splurge for one night on site next trip. It would probably be better to do at the end of your trip so you have something to look forward to instead of feeling let down with your off-site accommodations after one night on site.

Have a great trip; you'll be at WDW, after all!

We've done both and though sometimes I prefer onsite my DH and kids all prefer offsite all the time!

So we do both but mostly offsite and believe me our vacations to Disney couldn't be more magical!! :-)

I don't feel bad at all for staying offsite. We usually rent a pool home and I get to stay in a beautiful home with a heated swimming pool in my backyard with all the room I could ever want and all the amenities too: free long distance, wifi, game room, nice electronics and usually within 10 min of Disney's AK. I feel like the rich cousin that doesn't have the hassle of dealing with buses and people after I leave the park to go back and relax. To each his own. :thumbsup2

Where do you find the off-site homes with pools online. We are planning to stay off-site in August.

You'll still have a fantastic, magical time offsite or onsite.

We always stayed offsite due to space requirements with three adults and a limited budget (we're only doing CBR next time because it's just Mum and I and we're just going for a week) and always had a great time.

Last trip we rented points to stay at AKL- Kidani for 1 night and it was amazing, perhaps consider a 1 night stay at a Disney resort as a treat?

Never feel like the poor cousin. Though it may not seem like it from reading the DIS more people stay offsite than on when visiting the Orlando area.

ETA: Definitely read Gina's trip report!

Totally agree with everyone saying you absolutely should NOT feel like the poor cousin! Everyone vacations differently. There is no right way to do it and you have to do what is right for you, your family and your budget.
We are staying off-site in 2 weeks for 5 days and while technically we could afford to stay at any Disney hotel we wanted, the only one I would even consider with no discounts is a value and ultimately I decided there was no way I was going to pay ~190.00 a night for Pop Century. We love the "feel", "immersion" or whatever you want to call it by being on site but that fuzzy feeling isn't worth that much to me. Instead, we are paying $77 a night at Buena Vista Suites with a free breakfast to start our day. Yep, we have to pay $15 a day to park but that is only $75.

Can we afford to eat all of our meals at Disney? Yep, but you can bet we will be packing our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as well (which we also did when we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge) and I won't feel a bit ashamed about it. You shouldn't either. It is all about what you choose to do with your hard earned money. We are choosing to make this a shorter, cheaper trip and cut costs so we can return in November and stay at POFQ for 9 days *IF* they offer free dining (with 3 adults that is the best discount for our family).

Might I also suggest if you want to go to DTD, drive to POFQ, park and take the boat down. That can give you a more on-site feeling. Last time we stayed off-site and even when we stay somewhere other than POFQ we always drive over, park and take the boat because we just enjoy the ride (Security has always told us that is fine). Stop in for some beignets then cruise on down the river for a nice relaxing ride.

You can also visit the different resorts for a meal or just to walk around, shop, see what they have to offer, etc. We enjoy Yee-Haw Bob at POR, Scat's Cat with Elliot at POFQ, Beaches & Cream for a late dessert at Yacht & Beach Club, the Boardwalk, and almost always take a trip to Animal Kingdom Lodge to watch the animals (you can also go at night at Kidani and use night vision goggles for free). Lots of ways to make the most of your trip!!

I hope you have a great trip and find the perfect shaded bench to sit and enjoy your pb&j sandwich :)

We are staying off site this trip. 2 adults, 2 teens and a 5 yo do not make for a good time in a small hotel room! We found a house with a pool for less than a hotel! Everyone has their own room, we have privacy : grin: and will save $. We even planned down time to see things other Disney :gasp:

Can't wait!

Where do you find the off-site homes with pools online. We are planning to stay off-site in August.

Vacation Rentals By Owner is a good resource:

http://www.vrbo.com/

There is also Homeaway:

http://www.homeaway.com/

Ebay seems to have lots of listing as well.

Yep that's where we look. Some of the subdivisions have their own sites like windsorhillsrent.com or stayatemeraldisland.com etc. You can also use agencies like allstarvacationhomes.com or floridasunvacationhomes.com - rates tend to be higher than renting directly from owners.
Here's a map to show you where the subdivisions are:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=...8.272032,-81.608849&spn=0.068335,0.11055&z=13

The pink markers are Disney. The blue markers are accommodations. Windsor Hills is #1 and others in that area are to the left.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter