• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Feeling kind of sad....

serenitygr

2021: trip number six to the Fort!!
Ever since last night and reading the posts about tents not allowed on premium sites anymore- I've just been sad. I have been so very very excited about our upcoming Christmas reservation- we've been planning it ever since February of 2012- that was our first trip to Disney and we fell in love with the fort, like so many of you others do... We bought a older motorhome and fixed it up, made our reservations way last year - even talked my mom into going with us! But all along our plan was to let our older 2 boys stay in a tent- we even got the tent last summer on clearance in preparation for this trip. When we booked the site, the cast member talked us into booking a premium instead of our originally planned preferred, just because we'd have more room. Our motorhome only comfortable sleeps 4 (my mom is going to be staying at POP once we get there), so there was never a question of the 2 older boys being in a tent, and the younger 2 staying in the motorhome with us. And now this....

I know RustyScupper has said for now they are looking the other way, but if Disney decides this is a rule that will be enforced, I don't know what we will do. I know the campsites have been booked for a long time, so we can't just switch to a different type of site. And truthfully, I'm not really the type of person who is normally a "rule breaker" so if they don't let people put up tents, I'm not going to be the kind who would make a big stink and challenge that when we are there. But I just have this awful feeling that we may not be able to have this dream vacation- I know we all can't fit in the motorhome for 2 weeks, and I am so worried there won't be any alternatives.

I guess I'm just sad- not looking for any more answers, because I have a feeling there really aren't any at this point. Just looking for others who might understand- everyone here is always so nice, so at least I know you guys know what it feels like to see your vacation maybe not happening....sigh....:guilty:

My son and daughter have been wanting to go camping, so in my mind what better way to do it than going to Disney World. The best of both worlds.

If you're worried call and ask. "Since I made the reservation before the change can we still put a tent up?" If they say no, tell them to find you a site where you can do this still. I say it's their problem not yours. Don't worry, be happy! :goodvibes

Do you know how long the motorhome is? Will you be taking another vehicle?
The reason I ask is the premiums are usually pretty long, and you could request "a longer site" since they may range from 45-60 feet. Point is Scupper told you about the pandemic of "color blindness" that is going around. If you leave enough room behind the motorhome (at the end of the pad) for the tent, you will be blocking its view for the most part anyway.
As suggested, call and explain your situation. Let them know this is what you intended when you booked, which was before the new rule. Disney IS NOT out to crush anyones vacation. This has probably helped fuel the "color blindness" problem. I do not forsee Disney enforcing this unless a neighboring camper complains that someone is crowding their site. I say "Game on!".

Sent from my Desire HD using DISBoards

Do not give up on camping at the fort for a Christmas vacation. You've planned and been excited for so long, and FW is a wonderful place to be for any holiday. I would call and ask about your original plan for the Preferred site. If there's nothing available and you can't change it, I would definitely keep the Premium site and put up that tent! It will be the holiday season, and I doubt that any fellow campers will complain or even notice and also doubt that the disney employees will say anything but Merry Christmas. I'd go for it. :santa:

I'm with everyone else on this. There were different rules when you made the reservation. The reservation is essentially a contract. Each party has an obligation to hold up to their side of that contract. I'm sure there is language built in that says "rules may change without notice", but I would still try to hold them to it.
There is also an "arbitrary enforcement" that currently exists. This gives your side a stronger case. I'm generally a rule follower too, unless the there is no benefit or rationale to the rule. I don't see either one here. This has been going on as long as I have been going to the Ft.

I seriously doubt you will be bothered by having the tent unless you are encroaching on another site or causing a problem. My experience has been most things are tolerated unless it is a safety issue or another guest complains.

Don't panic yourself into not going. Keep planning and if something is said after you have set up your site, politely tell them that when you made the reservation, the contract you had allowed the tent.

If that doesn't work, calmly mention TV coverage, unfair practices, breach of contract and negative publicity. :)

j

You guys are so wonderful- just reading your replies makes me feel a little more hopeful. I think once the kids go back to school Tuesday, so I can be on the phone as long as I need to be, I will call and talk with reservations. I'll tell them the situation, and see how they respond. Maybe I'll get a better feel for what is coming that way. And you all make me think it's not so wrong to insist I should be able to use our tent, as long as I'm not encroaching on anyone else's spot, which I would not do. I even laughed reading the comments about if they insist on taking it down, I start talking about media coverage and negative publicity- LOL- I'm not sure how much a small town girl from Minnesota could do, but at least you guys have given me hope. Thank you from the bottom of my heart- this trip means the world to us, and while I never expect a "perfect" trip, at least I want us to be able to stay at the Fort and try our best to make "almost perfect" memories :love:

serenitygr, is the tent noted on your Premium reservation?

I'm sort of in the camp with poster Teamubr about how you made the reservation under one set of conditions and afterward Disney changed those conditions. Clearly within their right of course but I would expect them to honor your reservation and the conditions you made it under. So I would proceed as normal and not even bother with calling and checking any more.

Should someone (a CM) say something after you set up the tent I would explain how you made the ressie on X, they changed the rules on Y, and no WDW CM contacted you about the change so you proceeded as planned on good faith. Obviously your tent shouldn't extend onto anyone else's site or into the public areas.

Stay on your site as you expect others to stay on theirs and you shouldn't have an issue.

Bama Ed

. . . So I would proceed as normal and not even bother with calling and checking any more . . .

1) It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.
2) Although, it might not make a difference, is *should*.

TheRustyScupper said:
1) It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.
2) Although, it might not make a difference, is *should*.

I agree. This is an instance where I would feign complete ignorance of a policy change. Unless Disney notifies you, they have no right to expect you to find out and follow a rule that you may or may not have read about on a message board.

DISboards are awesome, but we're not official anything as far as THEY are concerned.

I for one, am a common sense rule follower,,I try not to break too many rules,,at least rules that would be dangerous to, or hurtful, or bother others around me when camping. That being said, (not that they would'nt) but I have NEVER heard of Disney asking anyone to leave the Fort for not following most, many, or all of the rules EXCEPT in extreme dangerous matters.

The rules at the Fort that they don't enforce daily are astounding, I just can't imagine they would say anything about a tent onna premo site, :confused3:confused3

We just got back from 4 nites at the fort and had a tent on a premium site! No problems...a CM even came buy verifying site numbers because the one next to use was triple booked and he didn't say anything about our tent! I am normally a law-abiding OCD rule-follower, but this one is just silly since we made our reservation a looooooong time ago. No need to be sad...go enjoy your vacation!

I agree. This is an instance where I would feign complete ignorance of a policy change. Unless Disney notifies you, they have no right to expect you to find out and follow a rule that you may or may not have read about on a message board.

DISboards are awesome, but we're not official anything as far as THEY are concerned.

Totally agree with this! The vast majority of people just make their reservations and go on their merry way and show up, never stepping cyber foot in the DIS or any other forum. How would you know that the policy was changed if you weren't on these boards? If they don't contact you, don't worry. And if they do, then they need to find a way to make it right by you. Disney is about making money and not turning people away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter