Feeling blue about staying off-property...can anyone make me feel better about OLCC?

goofy papa

Earning My Ears
Due to taking a group of 8 to Disney this time, we needed to stay at a villa instead of on property. I am feeling blue about being away from "the magic" that resorts offer. It would do me good to hear about some good experiences others have had there. I would love to hear about activites, the pools, the childrens play area...etc. Only a month to go and I should be feeling more excited than I am. I feel like I am pouting!

OLCC is nice!!! I stayed there in October 03. We were so busy w/ Disney (my first trip since 1982!) that we didn't get to do any of the activites of which there are a ton! On one of the TV channels, they show everything that's going on. Lots are free, but some have a fee). They ahve thier own mini golf (fee), tennis courts (fee), several real golf courses (fee). They have arts and crafts (usually free I think), pool activities, several theme/banquet nights at the clubhouse (fee), bingo, a free movie every day in the theater, a tropical beach pool party (think Jimmy Buffett style) on the weekends, and all kinds of other fun things.

At their lake, there's a sandy beach, volleyball court, and I believe you can rent either jet skis or little boats.

The resort is spread out (because it's huge!!) so you will get your exercise. They do have shuttle vans but it may be faster to drive yourself.

I am heading back to Orlando 5/22 and was hoping to get back to OL to do the stuff we missed, but I couldn't get in. Oh, well, hopefully they'll have some of the same fun stuff at Silver Lake up the street!

OLCC is probably one of the nicest, most fun resorts in the region! :) Tons of people go back year after year and never trade out. They spend a day or two at the parks and enjoy the resort the rest of the week... golf, boating, fishing, tennis, mini-golf, pools with slides, hot tubs, lovely landscaping, organized activities & crafts for all ages, game rooms, recreation clubs, convenience mart & deli... it's one of the best equipped resorts out there! Just look around at their website and you'll see what I mean. Don't miss the photo gallery and look at the 360º virtual tour of "Splash Lagoon" - looks like fun!

We have sent people there but haven't stayed ourselves - yet! That may have to change in the future as they keep adding new, fun pool areas with special features. Enjoy!!! :)

Lisa, Silver Lake is a nice place but it's much, much smaller. They don't have a lake, special pool features or golf. They do have a nice, clean, large pool area, huge fitness center & game rooms, poolside bar/grill, playground, organized activities and tennis, I believe. The back side of the resort actually borders Disney property near AKL, though you can't see it from the rooms. But it's only a 5 minute drive to the AK park. We'd go back without hesitation - it just isn't a mega-resort like OLCC. Enjoy your stay there!

I think you made a wise choice for a group of 8! We are going in July and are looking forward to it! I stayed there in 1994 and had a great time, despite the fact I wasn't at the Grand Floridian!

I think you will love it there!

We have stayed ther twice and LOVE IT!!!!

We feel like we are in the lap of luxury and the peacefulness is just the way we like it. The waterfall pool is great.

There is a welcome party that is nice to go to.

We did do the timeshare presentation on our first trip and they were really low pressure.

Hope you have a great time. It's a gorgeous place.

Just imagine what any one of our troops in the middle east or the patients on my Ortho Unit would give to be at any tiny motel in the area right now and thank your lucky stars you get to be there.....

Have a great time....Ted

I was feeling the same way as you but I loved it! There were 14 of us so I got one condo at OLCC and the other at Silver Lake. We stayed at OLCC and the unit was beautiful. After a long day at the parks it's nice to have the kids in a seperate room, soak in the huge tub, and throw a load of clothes is the washer without walking anywhere. My 4 yr old cousin loved the pool area as did my older kids. My sister's family was a t Silver lake and they loved how close everything was and the games room was awesome for her teenagers.

We have finally decided to sell our home and move, unfortunately that means cancelling our trip next month for a multitude of reason. Talk about blue. We are excited about the move but oh so blue about having to cancel our trip.

Silver Lake doesn't have a lake??? Isn't that false advertising??? :crazy: Just kidding. We don;t golf, play tennis and such, so not ahving that is OK. We are more interested in stuff like music/parties at the pool, crafts, movies in the theater, the fistness room, etc. Hopefully we will be able to do a few things this time. This trip needs to be more relaxing than the last one!!

We have stayed on-site and off-site. Its really not so bad. It just makes you all that more excited to get in your car and get to the parks each day. We went by this place on our recent trip, it looks very nice. I don't know much about it. Is it a timeshare? What price are you paying? ( if you don't mind me asking)

Thumperjr9....we rented it from an owner for $700 for the week. That is cheaper than getting 2 rooms for us.

You all have been so helpful in picking up my spirits. I went on the website last night and now am so pumped. There are so many activities planned to keep us busy on non-park days. I can't wait to get down there. Only 30 more days!!!

Hello!

I have never stayed at that particular resort, but have stayed off-site and can assure you that it's not as bad as it's sometimes made out to be. I have stayed both on and off site and can tell you that staying off-site was just as magical for me. We had a little one bedroom cottage at Tropical Palms and it was like our own little home away from home right outside of Disney! It was so so fun. This next trip we had the option of staying on-site at a value resort or staying offsite at Tropical Palms again and chose off-site because we'd have more space and our own kitchen, etc. Getting in the car and driving to the parks each morning was really no big deal at all. You will have a magical, amazing time I'm sure!!! :earsboy:

what is OLCC? Is it Orange Lake??
We have stayed off site for the past 6 years and my first time I was dragged kicking and screaming. Obviously it was wonderful. It actually makes the magic more magical. Sometimes when you eat sleep and drink Mickey it kind of gets old. You NEED a break plus there is sooooo much out side that even the city of Orlando is kind of magical. I have stayed at Vistana Villages 3 (soon to be 4 times), Wyndham Palms Golf 1 time, and a private home 1 time. Trust me, all you will miss is a smaller room, alot less for your money and maybe a couple of bars of Mickey Soap and a few bottles of Mickey Shampoo. Frankly once you get outside you begin to see that in many ways you are being manipulated to enth degree when you stay on site. Looking just at some of the items available in the outside shops as compared to Disney you begin to realize the HUGE profits they make on the same item. Kind of tarnishes the magic.

I LOVE staying off-site (huge Tropical Palms Fun Resort fan here) and get SOOOOOOO excited over all of the space we have in a cottage - opposed to a cramped hotel room - and having all that money we save to spend on other stuff!!;)

The "magic" is in your heart - not in your hotel room..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter