Feeding the Gators from the Bungalows

Any speculation on how this tragedy will affect the DVC sales of the bungalows? Will people be fearful of being over the water?

Though it probably did get worse when you could feed them your leftovers from the deck off your kitchen.

Any speculation on how this tragedy will affect the DVC sales of the bungalows? Will people be fearful of being over the water?
I don't know. I wouldn't be afraid, but I wouldn't sit on the edge of the decking and dangle my feet toward the water, either. Nor would I feed the alligators. But I can see where just the possibility of having an alligator in close proximity would make some people rethink a purchase, or want a different home resort.

I'm glad the signs are there. I honestly did not know about the poisonous snakes and thought only alligators under a certain size were allowed around the property. Dumb me.
Yes, they should have a yardstick out like they do for the rides.

Sorry, I know this is serious, but we have to stop thinking that Disney can control every aspect of this massive property that was previously swamp. Mother Nature trumps even Walt.

Last edited:
It's not just feeding alligators that may contribute- feeding any wildlife causes them to congregate, and predators are attracted. We have this problem in our own backyard, feeding BIRDS... the hawks are opportunistic, and I would venture to say any predator is also.

People may have been feeding the alligators long before the bungalows but the bungalows have made it much easier to do and this is a big problem. People need to stop and think.

It's not just feeding alligators that may contribute- feeding any wildlife causes them to congregate, and predators are attracted. We have this problem in our own backyard, feeding BIRDS... the hawks are opportunistic, and I would venture to say any predator is also.

Which doesn't tend to be much of an issue for children, but hawks take small dogs and cats all the time.

No affect whatsoever. Nothing seems to slow down DVC sales other than the overall state of the US and global economy.

The other thing that people don't get is that animals are as lazy as possible when it comes to food. Even when they hunt they prey on the young or injured before going after something older and healthier. Even if the animal does not see it was a human that fed it if a gator gets accustomed to eating table scraps in a specific area it will regularly patrol that area until the conditions change.

I don't worry about the hawks as much when I throw out old bread at home. I worry about the vermin. I made that mistake many years ago and learned my lesson. If you want more mice in your home throw out bread and things birds eat regularly.

The other thing that people don't get is that animals are as lazy as possible when it comes to food. Even when they hunt they prey on the young or injured before going after something older and healthier. Even if the animal does not see it was a human that fed it if a gator gets accustomed to eating table scraps in a specific area it will regularly patrol that area until the conditions change.

I don't worry about the hawks as much when I throw out old bread at home. I worry about the vermin. I made that mistake many years ago and learned my lesson. If you want more mice in your home throw out bread and things birds eat regularly.

I agree. I used to have 2 Squirrel proof bird feeders in my yard. I loved watching the birds in the morning. One morning I saw a bunch of roof rats at the feeder.
The birds and the roof rats attracted snakes. My dog got bitten by a snake...thank goodness I .large vet bill...thank goodness it was not a toddler. We called an exterminated and the first thing he made us do was get rid of the bird feeders.
They also said not to put dog food or cat food in dishes outside....coyotes, foxes etc.
Feeding bread to ducks and swans is also a bad idea. It constipates them.
You may think feeding fish and turtles is a good idea...but by doing so you are attracting other critters as well.

Actually I find the Bungalows kind of creepy. You never know what critters are hiding under them. Even though I love the convenience of ground floor accommodations we always ask for rooms on the higher floors.
I have a insect/arachnid phobia and my dh Ina's a snake phobia.
The poly bungalows and the new ones at WL if they are over water...no sale for me personally.

The thing is no matter what country you are from ( I am from the UK ) does it strike anybody as a good idea to feed the wildlife of any kind?..

I don't even like my visitors feeding my pet dog! Makes him beg and snatch food...

Bird feeders are nice, I don't have any because I don't like the squirrels - although hummingbird feeders are really nice. Bee and butterfly gardens are wonderful. But I'm kind of tired of the deer eating my hostas.

Bird feeders are nice, I don't have any because I don't like the squirrels - although hummingbird feeders are really nice. Bee and butterfly gardens are wonderful. But I'm kind of tired of the deer eating my hostas.

Actually you are right the exception is bird feeders we have those at home. But I would not feed any animal not even a bird on vacation. When we were at Seaworld one time a massive bird landed on our lunch table and stole my sandwich! Then I saw guests feeding them and thought mmmm.. The bird nearly had my hand of!

Actually you are right the exception is bird feeders we have those at home. But I would not feed any animal not even a bird on vacation. When we were at Seaworld one time a massive bird landed on our lunch table and stole my sandwich! Then I saw guests feeding them and thought mmmm.. The bird nearly had my hand of!

Yeah, the aggressive birds at Disney are horrible, a completely the fault of guests.

It truly amazes me the liability clause that exists in society. Disney may be "the happiest place" but it was built on a swamp. I have heard so many stories of people "now knowing" there were alligators there. Really? people are unaware of gators in florida? THAT is where liability starts. Informing yourself. But our society treats ignorance and a lack of education with pride anymore. You know why there were very few lawsuits 60 years ago? People were responsible and didn't expect the world to protect them. There are dangerous/poisonous animals everywhere. Do a google search for your own state. There are forums on this very site in the past talking about the stupidity of people feeding aligators at resorts like OKW and SSR.

It truly amazes me the liability clause that exists in society. Disney may be "the happiest place" but it was built on a swamp. I have heard so many stories of people "now knowing" there were alligators there. Really? people are unaware of gators in florida? THAT is where liability starts. Informing yourself. But our society treats ignorance and a lack of education with pride anymore. You know why there were very few lawsuits 60 years ago? People were responsible and didn't expect the world to protect them. There are dangerous/poisonous animals everywhere. Do a google search for your own state. There are forums on this very site in the past talking about the stupidity of people feeding aligators at resorts like OKW and SSR.

There were also fewer lawsuits 60 years ago because there wasn't an internet, people didn't read about anything or see it on TV other than major stories or what was going on in their own city.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter