Feedback on the Hilton

goofy's friends

<font color=limegreen>**POOF**<br><font color=purp
Anyone want to share their experiences with the Hilton in DTD? We are going in September and are especially interested in opinions on transportation to parks, the character breakfast, and hotel pool and other activities. Please share!!!! ::MickeyMo

I stayed there 15 years ago and it was okay. Not wonderful not bad. I have been spoiled since we have stayed off site for the past 10 years in condos so it colors my opinion of this place. The Dis bus picks you up but it is no like the bus when you stay on site. It lets you off a the TTC and you need to take the ferry or the monorail to get to MK.

I spent 2 nights there a few years back, I would not choose it again. But thats just me. I would do a value over staying there. Good luck

TINKTWINS said:
I spent 2 nights there a few years back, I would not choose it again. But thats just me. I would do a value over staying there. Good luck

Wow, I would have thought that it would have been upgraded etc since I was there but apparently not.

I would stay at a Value if I were going to stay in the vacinity of Disney and was staying in a hotel too. Kids love the huge props that reinforce the theme of these hotels and the food courts are always available. From what I remember of Hilton, they had a restaurant but it was not what great for a quick bite. For that we needed to travel to Downtown. While that is not a long walk from this hotel it is still not as conveinent as having a food court right there. Check out the Value hotels (All Stars) you might just save some money and be a little happier.

I stayed three about 13 months ago. It's been recently rehabbed, the room we had was very clean and comfortable. We drove where we needed to go--we were only there for a couple days and on business rather than pleasure.

They have a little shop in the lobby with some tables and chairs and easy to grab foods like individual cereals, pints of milk, Starbucks coffee, and I want to think frozen burritos and stuff like that--and a microwave.

The room we were in had a minifridge, maybe a microwave--I can't be sure, and a coffee maker.

Anne

We are staying there because we can get a suite that we cant get on property. On site would be our first choice as well, but Disney really doesn't accomodate families of 5 very well--at least not in the value range.
the kids were interested in the character meal and I didn't know if it would be as good as one on-site. Just wondering---that and should we drive to the parks everytime with our park-hopper or will we be able to get around once we are there? What about coming back in the middle of the day? Was the pool nice? Thanks for humoring all my?????S :earsgirl: :earsboy: princess: princess: :earboy2:

I do not know what you are paying for Hilton but I can tell you that there are tons of offsite condos that are spectacular and most likely below the Hilton price. Yes you can get a suite but can you get two to three bedrooms a couple of bathrooms livingroom dining area, screened balcony and full kitchen. If you are driving or have a car you can easily go to any character breakfast that you want. Check out Hotelkingdom or any of the other discount hotel websites. Look into places like Vistana Village and Marriott Grande Vista. Sept is off season and the prices are lower. The accomodations of which I speak compare more to the high end Disney hotels but are less expensive off site.

It sounds like you do not have a lot of experience at Disney so often we vetrans feel the need to point you in the right direction so your trip will be more enjoyable.

Many people on these boards have been thrilled with Cypress Point which is only about 5 min by car to WDW. Three bedrooms at this resort are about 109 per night(possibly a little more). Check it out! You might be glad you did.

Thanks for the advise. We will look into both of those options, but we are using Hilton points to save some $$. I really wanted to stay at the AKL, but am trying to make the best of this with as much information as I can.
:earsgirl: :earsboy: princess: princess: :earboy2:

Port Oreleans river side can sleep up to five in a room
thats the way we go

will you have a car if not on site is better

I stayed there last year. They had redone most of the rooms (probably all, but who knows) Kind of an "art deco" look.

I liked the hotel. It has a nice food court area in the lobby and is an easy walk to DTD. I did not use either the pool or the transportation so I can't help you there. (Drove my car) I saw folks in the character breakfast and it looked nice. Calmer then Chef Mickeys.

It is the only DTD hotel that has the EMH so that's a plus.

We stayed there a couple of nights in 2003 and are considering staying there again. I think it's a great choice--especially if you can use HH points. The location is excellant. You are just across the street from DTD. The pools are not elaborate, but my kids enjoyed them. The bus system is ok. I preferred using it in the morning to get to the parks and then using disney's buses to come back to DTD at night and just walking over to the hotel. Another plus that I see is that you are very close to other dining options and a nice outlet mall is just around the corner. I have stayed in the DTD area twice and really did not feel as if I missed out on anything by not being on property. I hope you enjoy your stay. :wave2:

We stayed there for a couple of nights last year after getting it on priceline for 60 bucks per night. We found the rooms VERY nice, roomy, clean, newly renovated.

We did not use the transportation there, but there were people there complaining about it compared to having stayed onsite before. We used a rental car and had no problems.

The location is wonderful if you want to walk to downtown disney. We just walked over there to eat as we found the selection lacking and prices high at the Hilton. The food at Earl of Sandwich was better and not as expensive.

Pool area basic but well maintained. We loved the hot tub area. Tropically landscaped and very nicely done. Kind of tucked away in a corner behind the pool.

Don't know about the character breakfast, didnt even know they had one.

Don't think I would want to stay there without a rental car to get around, but we definately enjoyed our stay there and while its not a deluxe disney resort, we thought it nicer than the value resorts.

The staff there were extremely nice and helpful.

:cool1:
Stayed at the DTD Hilton in June 2005. This Hotel was used as a base for a FAM trip and I was very interested in evaluating it since I never stay offsite. Was very surprised by the size of the Hotel, the updated redecorated rooms and the pleasant to please staff. A buffet breakfast was included with our stay and it was quite good. Additionally, we had a group dinner one night in one of the ballrooms---was served well and was quite tasty.
We had a severe rainstorm one afternoon and upon returning to our room found the ceiling leaking----like a beautiful waterfall! The front desk responded immediately by sending up engineering and a bellman with a key to a new room. The bellman moved all our luggage and was so helpful and sympathic!
Didn't use their transportation or pools---sorry! We did see Mickey and Minnie in the Character Breakfast on Sunday----looked like everyone was having a wonderful time with them (sorry our breakfast was on Saturday WITHOUT Mickey)!

We totally enjoyed our stay and if we ever decide to stay offsite would do so at the Hilton!

Thanks guys!!! I appreciate the feedback and we are looking forward to our stay. I like the suggestion of taking the bus in the AM and then using the Disney transportation to come back, as that is what I think would be a problem. You are all very helpful!!!!! :goodvibes

I stayed at the Grosvenor (across the street from the Hilton) and have to say, whatever you do, avoid taking the bus back to the hotel! -- The buses run pretty frequently to get you to the parks, but not as frequently to get you back and you usually have to wait in the middle of a parking lot for your bus.

What I did was to take the bus from the Grosvenor to the parks, then to avoid the dreaded TTC on the way back, we'd hop the monorail to the Contemporary and get the bus from there to DTD and then walk to the hotel.
It sounds complicated, but it really wasn't and it was much better than waiting for the hotel bus (which doesn't seem to pick up as frequently on returns) -- I'm pretty sure you can't get a bus directly from the parks to DTD.

Also, it isn't a bad idea to walk across the street and catch the bus to the park at The Grosvenor...it's the last stop, Hilton is the first, so they pick you up at the Hilton and then go to all the other hotels on the strip which makes for a long ride! Same deal if you take a DTD bus back to the hotel. Grosvenor is the 1st or 2nd stop, Hilton is the last, but you can get off at The Grosvenor and just walk across the street to the Hilton.

We ate dinner at the Hilton one night and I thought it was very nice. I didn't see the rooms though, just the lobby and the little convience food shop and the restaurant.

Great bus advise---thank you!! It would be awful if we didn't figure all that out until the end of our stay--you've saved us a lot of frustration!!! :cool1:

I don't think it is a great Hilton. And we stayed there for free. Not sure if we would have liked it better paying for it--but we really didn't like wasting the points once we discovered how it was. This is after I had visited (but not stayed) at the Hilton Hawaiian village. We used our points at the DTD Hilton--and it just upset me that it didn't live up to excpectations b/c that meant a little longer saving for HHV in Waikiki.

It is a nice hotel--but it didn't scream fancy resort to me.

We didn't find the bus service all that bad.

Lisa,
What did you find as unacceptable? Just curious because we have stayed at the one in Hawaii also. We really don't plan on spending a lot of time there, so the bus service is a main concern. What else can you tell me? :listen:

I would think that this Hilton is much more like a business hotel then the one in Hawaii. So a totally different feel. This one hosts business meetings etc. (and of course it is not on a beach! LOL!)

We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in 1999. Perhaps its been remodeled since then but we didn't find it particularly wonderful. We did like all the outdoor exhibits (turtles etc.).

The best part we liked about staying there was discovering the Hale Koa (military resort) next door. Dh had done four years in reserves and we found out we were eligible to stay there and the beach was way larger and less crowded than the Hilton, which we found to be extremely crowded. Both our Hawaii trips since then have been at the Hale Koa. Very nice. We did the luau at both and highly recommend if you are going, to do the one at the Hale Koa, it is much better.

Back on topic. We like the Hilton at DTD better than the Hilton Hawaiian Village, comparing rooms and staff, layout, etc.. Think you can definately get a nice experience at both, but that would just be our pick of the two, different strokes for different folks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter