Feedback on 11 Night DCL Norwegian/Iceland cruise?

eds04

Earning My Ears
I am looking for any feedback on the 11 night Norwegian Cruise via the Disney Magic... I am aware that the 2017 itinerary is different than this past years however I am looking for any feedback on an 11 Night cruise (I've only taken 7 nights - are there more than one Formal/Semi-formal nights?) as well as any comments on port excursions, things to do...

Just finished the Baltic cruise via the Magic...

thanks

I did the 12 night Copenhagen Norway to Iceland and Scotland cruise, it was a fantastic cruise, the ports were wonderful, the nature fantastic, Iceland the jewel in the crown, Scotland wonderful where we had a great local send off.

Firstly seas.

The seas were OK, bar going out of Bergen where we hit very bad seas, the ship was shaking, I have sailed in two back ends if hurricanes and if they were a " 10" thus was a " 9". Deck 4 was closed off, few went to dinner that night, the animators colour show had say 20% tables full, and the hygiene man was kept very busy, coming to deal with spills.

On our cruise meets group of 150 cruisers, we all agreed this was a bad night, more noticeable in the lower decks like deck two where many were ill, Cabanas was busy on the higher deck where people decided to eat.

Deck 8 where we were was less random movement, was bearable, we spent the least time we could on decks 3/4.

Seas were great apart from that with sunny sea days, and people in the pools.

Weather

Apart from that storm out of Bergen, we had rain in Bergen, and slight rain in Kristainsand, Oslo was sunny, bar one major shower we missed, Iceland sunny, tee shirt weather, Scotland, sunny, and quite nice, on ship there was fog, the fog horn blew overnight and some mornings, very noisy if you near cover cafe or forward.

We took rain coats and jumpers, we used them in Bergen and took them off first day in Iceland and then didn't use them.

It was cold and windy on ship st night.

Food.

Good spread of food, excellent in Palo, Cove cafe the cakes were poor, desserts at dinner poor, cabanas great, great hard ice cream there good choice, cabanas in the evening was either a sit down meal or the cabanas dinner buffet, very good. Mistakes were made at dinner, plastic in a soup, wrong meal brought out, but service fast. Many staff doubled up, our assistant server also helped st palo brunch.

Characters. Family

We booked online, they sold out, but good availability on embarkation, queues fir changing dinner sitting to main, and private tables, queues for palo, we got a second brunch as well as a dinner, most people got private dinner request. People had not realised late started at 8.30 and was very late. Some misinformation, so families swapping to Main.

We went to Late one night, there was say about 15% of tables used, Main was always full, Cabanas early evening very full.

Frozen party was said online to be indoors, it was a deck party, and not very good IMHO. Just karaoke.

Theme nights.

We had one formal night, DCL ahead of time said it would be Oslo night, I was right it was Kristiansand night as we left earlier. One semi formal, and all others cruise casual. Formal night may have had say 50% dressed up, then semi formal a slight effort, Palo was very relaxed ai saw leggings tee shirts, little jackets, I was over dressed in a suit, service by a friend was fantastic. Thry gave upgraded the menus for brunch and dinner, the brunch calzone is great and the dinner Ozo lamb fantastic .

I have scans if all the menus inc MDRs there like 2015 had expanded regional variations menues lot of choice, more on them than any online blog shows currently.

Petes boiler bites had expanded options Swedish meat ball dub, spicy ckicken burger, and the kebabs next door with chicken lamb on a spit, and you could have them on pita bread or in a wrap, pizzas had specials like Norwegian salmon and BBQ ckicken.

Cove cafe has an update menu more like Starbucks now, I have a copy, as said the dessert cakes there were poor.

Entertainment

Tangled great, we got a castaway club behind the scenes morning presentation of enhancements to twice charmed, an afternoon matinee of tangled, which had queues 45 minutes before starting and was full as the doors opened, both were spectacular, twice charmed more like a pantomime now eith added jokes and the chsnges storyline.

Disney dreams was upgraded but the story the sane with the frozen added songs.

Guest entertainers, the jugglers were very poor, the Beatles abs abba tributes great, the Broadway singer fantastic, we had more than enough to entertainment, Greta the Icelandic violin player great, junk in fathoms, and other performers outside MDRs. Clay ton the CD is fantastic, walked the ship and very pro active as a CD. I have all the navigators but I cannot post just yet. Will do a TR when well.

Copenhagen, 90% of our group stayed at Tivoli Hotel that's very good.
Taxis plentiful, easy to get, within five minutes, we read horror stories not true. Sane as threads posted here re Dover issues, we had none.

Embarkation we dropped luggage off at 9.45, the terminal didn't open till 10.30 am, there was not a good queue st the start until a lot of people are there say 10.15. I think we were about 20th there, many cane later, they then firmed three lines, left middle and right, the people who were there later and queues right jumped to the front if the line, we were on the middle and one made who got there say 30 minutes after Ts complained that our checker key us through before her.

Inside as platinum we checked in at concierge, was fast, for embarkation it started around 11.30 with concierge going from thier area, but an ugly scene by a few platinum cruisers demanding to go in with concierge as thier boarding cards said " anytime" on them.

Embarkation was fast, you go in at deck two. CMs man the elevators to deck 3 for the announcement or to deck 9, we went to 9.

Luggage was fast we got three of four bags at 1.30 one came post muster drill.

Port adventures

I normally book private and was rewarded on this.

We only booked one DCL tour at Kristiansand for the steam train, on embarkation the letter said it was cancelled due to low participation, but on our cruise meets seemed everyone booked the 7.45 am one. I went to port adventures the man there was disinterested, most tours sold out, didn't mention the second steam train was running, I didn't book anything, but a friend booked the train for he when shortly after they saw a different CM.

I know others had difficulty booking the blue lagoon at Iceland as it was full, I booked mine in December at a lower price.

With my private tours, I choose what I did and when, and updated when there, Priavte tours are the way to go, I booked well in advance many sell out quickly like extreme Iceland and in Kirkwall, Orkney aspects are full on some dates for 2017 on DCL days.

Oslo private guide you dock in the city no need for transport, we got Oslo cards, had a great guide, and saw additional things like the national gallery and the scream, it was free that day, we saw the palace, Vigeland park, and I suggest going on the subway and bus and tram to get around.

Bergen Private guide, booked funicular in advance, we avoided most if the queues, it did rain, but we did a lot. I cancelled one guide service as they didn't communicate well with me, my guide was great.

Iceland, brilliant fantastic words fail. We had three fantastic trips with extreme Iceland, rather than bearded in groups of 55 with half getting a window seat and stopping at tourist places, we stopped in quite places, went at times we wanted, moved in when we wanted, went off the beaten tracks, avoided queue, eat locally ( one expensive, one a supermarket but great) we did two of the geothermal baths both great, blue lagoon check in was chaotic. Everyone should go to Iceland at least once, even with the sea crossing from Bergen it was worth it.

DCL tours are NOT the way to do it, heard numerous complaints.

Think " outside the box" if you have an overnight stay in Iceland, use it, stay out late, use that time, there us daylight 20 hours a day, have city tour at 9 pm or 10 pm.

Scoyland the people do nice we had a pip highland pipe band play us off, the characters cane out and it seemed all of the islanders cane out to sent us off, there are videos on the picture of the day thread.

We saw so much, note it us small and things book up fast.

Invergordon, we had a private tour, Loch Ness Urquhart castle, for Augustus, and then nature, waterfalls that tour coaches can't get to, then time in Inverness.

First time ever an issue on a private tour the van broke down the guide got us a taxi and paid fir it, we were back well before all onboard.

Issues,

Queuing to get on the ship, say like Iceland second day at 4 pm, queues that were unmanaged, longer then Soarin in WDW, The terrible misinformation at port adventures, people finding LATE dinner far too late after a day touring, and trying to swap to Main, the poor jugglers for entertainment in WDT, one guy just kept dropping everything and the seas were calm that night.
They took our UK /EU passports on embarkation saying thry had to take all non EU passports, UK has not left yet, this was a mistake, but have photo ID that is an alternative to a passport as they can be taken, there was an immigration check by the UK post Icelabd starting at 8.30 am deck by deck, we were through in a minute. It was the same morning as our character breakfast, they should try to avoid clashes, we just went to our CB early, we had Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Pluto.
Dover disembarkation was fast from 7 am, but not all luggage was out, pre book taxes and agree a meeting place.

Summary.

Prepare for the possibility of bad seas.
Book private tours and guides well in advance.
Whatever you think you know about Iceland it will quite literally blow you away, get good local guides.
It can be cool, cold at night.
Service great, but queues most times st guest services.
Join an active cruise meets group, ours was great, we helped each other, some booked tours together, saved money, an active FE and candy swap group, some joined a bit late join early. We had 150 in our group, but that leaves a lot who didn't join, and when I talked with cruisers not part of the group, lack of research, or lack of planning was a major issue. Not booked private tours, abs sold out, not booked DCL tours left with poor expensive tours, on wrong dinner sitting, budget too small, - I know some who stayed on the ship a day in Icelabd re organisation issues, and some who didn't expect bad seas crossing the Atlantic, some didn't know where the embarkation port in Coprnhagen was.

Last edited:
I also just got off this cruise and absolutely loved it. Disney Fantasy pretty much covered almost everything. We were fortunate to have a wonderful cruise group and good weather. For the most part, I did a great job packing the right amount of clothing. The only thing extra I packed was the extra winter things such as gloves, sweater, leggings, etc. I didn't need all those and in fact I was hot in a few places such as Akureyri. I did wear shorts in Norway, but I expected Iceland to be colder based on looking up the temperatures online. Be prepared for both types of weather as the weather can change quickly and not everyone views the weather the same (it may depend on what you are used to.)

Also, search on here as there were some good travel reports from last year that I read that gave me some ideas. I also read some threads from others who were on the earlier cruise this season.

Unlike Disney Fantasy who prefers early seating, I prefer late seating with port intensive cruises. We had great service from our servers. Since it was just my husband and me, and we were ready to order when we sat down (checked out the menus on the app before dinner), we were always done in an hour. I was especially glad on our Reykjavik overnight as we got back on the ship right at 8:30 and headed right to dinner. The dining room was only partially full. The night before was our anniversary and we ate at Palo, so on the Reykjavik night our servers got a lot of the other servers to come out singing to us. It was such a memorable experience.

My husband and I enjoyed the entertainment including the ventriloquist. I really enjoyed the changes in Dreams which was the first time I had seen it in awhile as I am usually still packing. On this cruise, I packed less changes of clothes for night as I knew it would be more casual and I used packing cubes. We also used the laundry at "off" (less crowded) times.

I really liked Clayton too. He was always around and very personable. When we were in Scotland, he wore a kilt. There were lots of activities scheduled. Sometimes I had a hard time choosing as there were two activities scheduled at the same time I wanted to do. First time, I think I have ever been on a cruise with two trivias scheduled at the same time on multiple days.

I know food is subjective, but I really enjoyed all the food including the desserts. If there was ever a night in which I didn't like the selection, I always went to my favorite "go to" dessert which is a Mickey ice cream bar and I only ordered it twice. That is really good for me because I have on some cruises gotten it almost every night.

I won't talk about what I did in Norway, as I believe the 11 day has different ports than our cruise. In Iceland, I did two excursions with Disney and one with Extreme Iceland. I enjoyed all three of them. Iceland was amazing. I agree with Disney Fantasy, that it is one of those places to see in person. It is more spectacular than pictures.

In Akureyri, I did the Jewels of the North tour through Disney. I was really worried about doing this tour as those on the previous cruise complained about not liking this tour. I kept the tour despite the reviews and am glad I did. I felt like I got to see a lot of nature -- the waterfall, steam vents, the lake, etc. I didn't want to just stay in town.

On the first day of Reykjavik, my husband and I joined 10 others from our group on an Extreme Iceland Golden Circle tour. We all decided prior to the cruise we would meet in the atrium and head out together to find our shuttle. I am so glad that we did as we had a hard time finding him. There were lots of Exteme Iceland vehicles and workers when we docked, but ours was difficult to find even with other Extreme Iceland workers trying to help us. I think we were all a little uneasy at the beginning due to this. The tour did turn out well with a few off the beaten path stops that our group organizer had found and requested. We enjoyed those stops. It was a great day with a great group of people. Oh and I did see Disney Fantasy at some of the main spots as I think his tour was very similar to ours.

On the second day in Reykjavik, I did Snorkeling into the Blue which was a Disney excursion. Since we were doing a long tour on the first day, I wanted something more adventuresome for the second day. Even before I signed up for this cruise, I knew I wanted to do this excursion. I thought it sounded so cool and I completely researched it by reading reviews online of snorkeling at silfra fissure. I also read a trip report on the Dis from someone who did this last year. I messaged her to ask questions and I am glad I did. She was so helpful. I was nervous about doing this excursion, (and became even more so when we received a waiver along with the tickets in our stateroom).

We were in a group of only 14 passengers on this tour. My husband and I were the only ones who were prepared with what we wore as the Disney description leaves out that you should wear heavy socks, long johns/leggings/underarmour,or some kind of layer under the layer and dry suit they give you to wear. Half the people in our group weren't even wearing socks. The workers were surprised how unprepared those in our group were with what they were wearing to go under the suit. Disney used Dive.is although there are other companies that offer this. I know we could have tried to book this directly, but I preferred to do this particular tour through Disney.

I am so glad I did this tour. It was an unique experience to snorkel between two continents in the clearest water. The guides did a good job suiting everyone up and explaining what to do. It took a lot longer to suit up than you actually spend in the water. I was never cold in the 37 degree Fahrenheit water. There are no fish to see, just the rock formations. The water is glacier water and they tell everyone to take a sip. I only got nervous once, when the person in front of me kicked the snorkel out of my mouth and I got water in it. My husband had a little trouble with water in his mask at the beginning which made him nervous. But the issues were quickly resolved. From time to time, I would peek up out of the water to make sure I was going the right way, because when I was looking straight down in the water, it was hard to keep track of where I was going.

We had two stops in Scotland, but I think Invergordon is the only one on the 11 day. I had been to Invergordon previously on a cruise so I was looking for a tour similar to one I had done previously for my husband who had never been there. I couldn't find any Disney tours that were exactly what I wanted so I originally picked one that offered some of what I wanted to see. I mentioned this in my group meet and was recommended by someone to look at the Wow Scotland tour they were doing. It was a regular full size bus, but it stopped in the places I most wanted to see together on one tour - Cullodin Battlefield, Cawdor Castle and Loch Ness (not by Urquhart Castle, but I had already been there so it didn't matter to me), and a few more stops. It was a great tour and the guide was by far my favorite (the owner of the company). I was really glad I didn't do the Disney excursion here.

Hope this helps and if you choose this cruise, I hope you have a great time.

I did the 12 night Copenhagen Norway to Iceland and Scotland cruise, it was a fantastic cruise, the ports were wonderful, the nature fantastic, Iceland the jewel in the crown, Scotland wonderful where we had a great local send off.

Firstly seas.

The seas were OK, bar going out of Bergen where we hit very bad seas, the ship was shaking, I have sailed in two back ends if hurricanes and if they were a " 10" thus was a " 9". Deck 4 was closed off, few went to dinner that night, the animators colour show had say 20% tables full, and the hygiene man was kept very busy, coming to deal with spills.

On our cruise meets group of 150 cruisers, we all agreed this was a bad night, more noticeable in the lower decks like deck two where many were ill, Cabanas was busy on the higher deck where people decided to eat.

Deck 8 where we were was less random movement, was bearable, we spent the least time we could on decks 3/4.

Seas were great apart from that with sunny sea days, and people in the pools.

Weather

Apart from that storm out of Bergen, we had rain in Bergen, and slight rain in Kristainsand, Oslo was sunny, bar one major shower we missed, Iceland sunny, tee shirt weather, Scotland, sunny, and quite nice, on ship there was fog, the fog horn blew overnight and some mornings, very noisy if you near cover cafe or forward.

We took rain coats and jumpers, we used them in Bergen and took them off first day in Iceland and then didn't use them.

It was cold and windy on ship st night.

Food.

Good spread of food, excellent in Palo, Cove cafe the cakes were poor, desserts at dinner poor, cabanas great, great hard ice cream there good choice, cabanas in the evening was either a sit down meal or the cabanas dinner buffet, very good. Mistakes were made at dinner, plastic in a soup, wrong meal brought out, but service fast. Many staff doubled up, our assistant server also helped st palo brunch.

Characters. Family

We booked online, they sold out, but good availability on embarkation, queues fir changing dinner sitting to main, and private tables, queues for palo, we got a second brunch as well as a dinner, most people got private dinner request. People had not realised late started at 8.30 and was very late. Some misinformation, so families swapping to Main.

We went to Late one night, there was say about 15% of tables used, Main was always full, Cabanas early evening very full.

Frozen party was said online to be indoors, it was a deck party, and not very good IMHO. Just karaoke.

Theme nights.

We had one formal night, DCL ahead of time said it would be Oslo night, I was right it was Kristiansand night as we left earlier. One semi formal, and all others cruise casual. Formal night may have had say 50% dressed up, then semi formal a slight effort, Palo was very relaxed ai saw leggings tee shirts, little jackets, I was over dressed in a suit, service by a friend was fantastic. Thry gave upgraded the menus for brunch and dinner, the brunch calzone is great and the dinner Ozo lamb fantastic .

I have scans if all the menus inc MDRs there like 2015 had expanded regional variations menues lot of choice, more on them than any online blog shows currently.

Petes boiler bites had expanded options Swedish meat ball dub, spicy ckicken burger, and the kebabs next door with chicken lamb on a spit, and you could have them on pita bread or in a wrap, pizzas had specials like Norwegian salmon and BBQ ckicken.

Cove cafe has an update menu more like Starbucks now, I have a copy, as said the dessert cakes there were poor.

Entertainment

Tangled great, we got a castaway club behind the scenes morning presentation of enhancements to twice charmed, an afternoon matinee of tangled, which had queues 45 minutes before starting and was full as the doors opened, both were spectacular, twice charmed more like a pantomime now eith added jokes and the chsnges storyline.

Disney dreams was upgraded but the story the sane with the frozen added songs.

Guest entertainers, the jugglers were very poor, the Beatles abs abba tributes great, the Broadway singer fantastic, we had more than enough to entertainment, Greta the Icelandic violin player great, junk in fathoms, and other performers outside MDRs. Clay ton the CD is fantastic, walked the ship and very pro active as a CD. I have all the navigators but I cannot post just yet. Will do a TR when well.

Copenhagen, 90% of our group stayed at Tivoli Hotel that's very good.
Taxis plentiful, easy to get, within five minutes, we read horror stories not true. Sane as threads posted here re Dover issues, we had none.

Embarkation we dropped luggage off at 9.45, the terminal didn't open till 10.30 am, there was not a good queue st the start until a lot of people are there say 10.15. I think we were about 20th there, many cane later, they then firmed three lines, left middle and right, the people who were there later and queues right jumped to the front if the line, we were on the middle and one made who got there say 30 minutes after Ts complained that our checker key us through before her.

Inside as platinum we checked in at concierge, was fast, for embarkation it started around 11.30 with concierge going from thier area, but an ugly scene by a few platinum cruisers demanding to go in with concierge as thier boarding cards said " anytime" on them.

Embarkation was fast, you go in at deck two. CMs man the elevators to deck 3 for the announcement or to deck 9, we went to 9.

Luggage was fast we got three of four bags at 1.30 one came post muster drill.

Port adventures

I normally book private and was rewarded on this.

We only booked one DCL tour at Kristiansand for the steam train, on embarkation the letter said it was cancelled due to low participation, but on our cruise meets seemed everyone booked the 7.45 am one. I went to port adventures the man there was disinterested, most tours sold out, didn't mention the second steam train was running, I didn't book anything, but a friend booked the train for he when shortly after they saw a different CM.

I know others had difficulty booking the blue lagoon at Iceland as it was full, I booked mine in December at a lower price.

With my private tours, I choose what I did and when, and updated when there, Priavte tours are the way to go, I booked well in advance many sell out quickly like extreme Iceland and in Kirkwall, Orkney aspects are full on some dates for 2017 on DCL days.

Oslo private guide you dock in the city no need for transport, we got Oslo cards, had a great guide, and saw additional things like the national gallery and the scream, it was free that day, we saw the palace, Vigeland park, and I suggest going on the subway and bus and tram to get around.

Bergen Private guide, booked funicular in advance, we avoided most if the queues, it did rain, but we did a lot. I cancelled one guide service as they didn't communicate well with me, my guide was great.

Iceland, brilliant fantastic words fail. We had three fantastic trips with extreme Iceland, rather than bearded in groups of 55 with half getting a window seat and stopping at tourist places, we stopped in quite places, went at times we wanted, moved in when we wanted, went off the beaten tracks, avoided queue, eat locally ( one expensive, one a supermarket but great) we did two of the geothermal baths both great, blue lagoon check in was chaotic. Everyone should go to Iceland at least once, even with the sea crossing from Bergen it was worth it.

DCL tours are NOT the way to do it, heard numerous complaints.

Think " outside the box" if you have an overnight stay in Iceland, use it, stay out late, use that time, there us daylight 20 hours a day, have city tour at 9 pm or 10 pm.

Scoyland the people do nice we had a pip highland pipe band play us off, the characters cane out and it seemed all of the islanders cane out to sent us off, there are videos on the picture of the day thread.

We saw so much, note it us small and things book up fast.

Invergordon, we had a private tour, Loch Ness Urquhart castle, for Augustus, and then nature, waterfalls that tour coaches can't get to, then time in Inverness.

First time ever an issue on a private tour the van broke down the guide got us a taxi and paid fir it, we were back well before all onboard.

Issues,

Queuing to get on the ship, say like Iceland second day at 4 pm, queues that were unmanaged, longer then Soarin in WDW, The terrible misinformation at port adventures, people finding LATE dinner far too late after a day touring, and trying to swap to Main, the poor jugglers for entertainment in WDT, one guy just kept dropping everything and the seas were calm that night.
They took our UK /EU passports on embarkation saying thry had to take all non EU passports, UK has not left yet, this was a mistake, but have photo ID that is an alternative to a passport as they can be taken, there was an immigration check by the UK post Icelabd starting at 8.30 am deck by deck, we were through in a minute. It was the same morning as our character breakfast, they should try to avoid clashes, we just went to our CB early, we had Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Pluto.
Dover disembarkation was fast from 7 am, but not all luggage was out, pre book taxes and agree a meeting place.

Summary.

Prepare for the possibility of bad seas.
Book private tours and guides well in advance.
Whatever you think you know about Iceland it will quite literally blow you away, get good local guides.
It can be cool, cold at night.
Service great, but queues most times st guest services.
Join an active cruise meets group, ours was great, we helped each other, some booked tours together, saved money, an active FE and candy swap group, some joined a bit late join early. We had 150 in our group, but that leaves a lot who didn't join, and when I talked with cruisers not part of the group, lack of research, or lack of planning was a major issue. Not booked private tours, abs sold out, not booked DCL tours left with poor expensive tours, on wrong dinner sitting, budget too small, - I know some who stayed on the ship a day in Icelabd re organisation issues, and some who didn't expect bad seas crossing the Atlantic, some didn't know where the embarkation port in Coprnhagen was.
We are doing Norway Fjords next year and 3 days in Amstedam before the cruise, can you tell me the tour guide you used in Bergen? In 2018 we are doing Iceland but not on a cruise.

I also just got off this cruise and absolutely loved it. Disney Fantasy pretty much covered almost everything. We were fortunate to have a wonderful cruise group and good weather. For the most part, I did a great job packing the right amount of clothing. The only thing extra I packed was the extra winter things such as gloves, sweater, leggings, etc. I didn't need all those and in fact I was hot in a few places such as Akureyri. I did wear shorts in Norway, but I expected Iceland to be colder based on looking up the temperatures online. Be prepared for both types of weather as the weather can change quickly and not everyone views the weather the same (it may depend on what you are used to.)

Also, search on here as there were some good travel reports from last year that I read that gave me some ideas. I also read some threads from others who were on the earlier cruise this season.

Unlike Disney Fantasy who prefers early seating, I prefer late seating with port intensive cruises. We had great service from our servers. Since it was just my husband and me, and we were ready to order when we sat down (checked out the menus on the app before dinner), we were always done in an hour. I was especially glad on our Reykjavik overnight as we got back on the ship right at 8:30 and headed right to dinner. The dining room was only partially full. The night before was our anniversary and we ate at Palo, so on the Reykjavik night our servers got a lot of the other servers to come out singing to us. It was such a memorable experience.

My husband and I enjoyed the entertainment including the ventriloquist. I really enjoyed the changes in Dreams which was the first time I had seen it in awhile as I am usually still packing. On this cruise, I packed less changes of clothes for night as I knew it would be more casual and I used packing cubes. We also used the laundry at "off" (less crowded) times.

I really liked Clayton too. He was always around and very personable. When we were in Scotland, he wore a kilt. There were lots of activities scheduled. Sometimes I had a hard time choosing as there were two activities scheduled at the same time I wanted to do. First time, I think I have ever been on a cruise with two trivias scheduled at the same time on multiple days.

I know food is subjective, but I really enjoyed all the food including the desserts. If there was ever a night in which I didn't like the selection, I always went to my favorite "go to" dessert which is a Mickey ice cream bar and I only ordered it twice. That is really good for me because I have on some cruises gotten it almost every night.

I won't talk about what I did in Norway, as I believe the 11 day has different ports than our cruise. In Iceland, I did two excursions with Disney and one with Extreme Iceland. I enjoyed all three of them. Iceland was amazing. I agree with Disney Fantasy, that it is one of those places to see in person. It is more spectacular than pictures.

In Akureyri, I did the Jewels of the North tour through Disney. I was really worried about doing this tour as those on the previous cruise complained about not liking this tour. I kept the tour despite the reviews and am glad I did. I felt like I got to see a lot of nature -- the waterfall, steam vents, the lake, etc. I didn't want to just stay in town.

On the first day of Reykjavik, my husband and I joined 10 others from our group on an Extreme Iceland Golden Circle tour. We all decided prior to the cruise we would meet in the atrium and head out together to find our shuttle. I am so glad that we did as we had a hard time finding him. There were lots of Exteme Iceland vehicles and workers when we docked, but ours was difficult to find even with other Extreme Iceland workers trying to help us. I think we were all a little uneasy at the beginning due to this. The tour did turn out well with a few off the beaten path stops that our group organizer had found and requested. We enjoyed those stops. It was a great day with a great group of people. Oh and I did see Disney Fantasy at some of the main spots as I think his tour was very similar to ours.

On the second day in Reykjavik, I did Snorkeling into the Blue which was a Disney excursion. Since we were doing a long tour on the first day, I wanted something more adventuresome for the second day. Even before I signed up for this cruise, I knew I wanted to do this excursion. I thought it sounded so cool and I completely researched it by reading reviews online of snorkeling at silfra fissure. I also read a trip report on the Dis from someone who did this last year. I messaged her to ask questions and I am glad I did. She was so helpful. I was nervous about doing this excursion, (and became even more so when we received a waiver along with the tickets in our stateroom).

We were in a group of only 14 passengers on this tour. My husband and I were the only ones who were prepared with what we wore as the Disney description leaves out that you should wear heavy socks, long johns/leggings/underarmour,or some kind of layer under the layer and dry suit they give you to wear. Half the people in our group weren't even wearing socks. The workers were surprised how unprepared those in our group were with what they were wearing to go under the suit. Disney used Dive.is although there are other companies that offer this. I know we could have tried to book this directly, but I preferred to do this particular tour through Disney.

I am so glad I did this tour. It was an unique experience to snorkel between two continents in the clearest water. The guides did a good job suiting everyone up and explaining what to do. It took a lot longer to suit up than you actually spend in the water. I was never cold in the 37 degree Fahrenheit water. There are no fish to see, just the rock formations. The water is glacier water and they tell everyone to take a sip. I only got nervous once, when the person in front of me kicked the snorkel out of my mouth and I got water in it. My husband had a little trouble with water in his mask at the beginning which made him nervous. But the issues were quickly resolved. From time to time, I would peek up out of the water to make sure I was going the right way, because when I was looking straight down in the water, it was hard to keep track of where I was going.

We had two stops in Scotland, but I think Invergordon is the only one on the 11 day. I had been to Invergordon previously on a cruise so I was looking for a tour similar to one I had done previously for my husband who had never been there. I couldn't find any Disney tours that were exactly what I wanted so I originally picked one that offered some of what I wanted to see. I mentioned this in my group meet and was recommended by someone to look at the Wow Scotland tour they were doing. It was a regular full size bus, but it stopped in the places I most wanted to see together on one tour - Cullodin Battlefield, Cawdor Castle and Loch Ness (not by Urquhart Castle, but I had already been there so it didn't matter to me), and a few more stops. It was a great tour and the guide was by far my favorite (the owner of the company). I was really glad I didn't do the Disney excursion here.

Hope this helps and if you choose this cruise, I hope you have a great time.
Great review.

We are doing Norway Fjords next year and 3 days in Amstedam before the cruise, can you tell me the tour guide you used in Bergen? In 2018 we are doing Iceland but not on a cruise.
Hi.

I know you like to follow my trips and guides, you loved Anastasia who I suggested in St Petersburg.

Bergen, I dropped one due to lack of communication, the lady I finally used was fantastic for seven of us. Plus cheaper than the others.

lidia@kleiberg.biz

I am so glad I did this tour. It was an unique experience to snorkel between two continents in the clearest water.

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed. I was just thinking about you and was going to PM to see if you enjoyed. So glad my tips on what to expect/wear were helpful, but grrrr on the others being unprepared. I took a lot of time and did and *extensive* follow up on this very issue for DCL on making people more aware of what they needed to wear/bring. How aggravating that they didn't pass on and that all was for naught. I'd found information before our trip by searching companies who did the tour--rightly figuring that DCL would be farming the PA out to dive--and saw the info on what to wear. It is very aggravating that I wasted all that time in filling out the dumb form--after I'd already gone to speak to the PA desk--and they did nothing.

This was by far the best PA we did on our 11-night last year, and probably the coolest/most memorable thing we have ever done on any vacation (including 5 Disney ABDs and 13 DCL cruises).

Just a funny note. I think I mentioned in my trip report that on our tour our guide Ragnar went crazy when a fish went right below us. It is incredibly rare to see one, and it was the first one he'd ever seen in many years of guiding.

For those of you wondering what it is, you snorkel at Silfri between the two tectonic plates in some of the most amazing crystal clear blue water you will ever see.

I have a couple pics in my trip report, but if I remember later, I'll add some more here when I'm not on my laptop. http://www.disboards.com/threads/23...ics-with-abd-add-on-updated-complete.3427323/

We were on this cruise too! We took our 3 kids (7,6, & 3). We had a blast! This was our 4th DCL cruise (others were southern Caribbean, western Caribbean, and Bahamas). This was by far our favorite. We got there 3 days early to get over the jet lag before cruising. Very glad we did that! It took us a few days to adjust. Seas were smoother than any of our Caribbean cruises (with the exception of the above mentioned Bergen night). Honestly, the other days I couldn't even tell we were moving it was so smooth! It was chilly to us but felt good. We were coming from 100 degree weather in TN so that may be why it felt colder to us. We wore our down jackets and vests most days but never really needed hats/gloves. Ports were great! I am hard pressed to pick a favorite. We did a mix of private and group tours. Much preferred the private tours. Nothing wrong with the DCL tours, but with young kids having the flexibility to do and see things at our own pace was priceless! Good luck with your decision!

We were on this cruise too! We took our 3 kids (7,6, & 3). We had a blast! This was our 4th DCL cruise (others were southern Caribbean, western Caribbean, and Bahamas). This was by far our favorite. We got there 3 days early to get over the jet lag before cruising. Very glad we did that! It took us a few days to adjust. Seas were smoother than any of our Caribbean cruises (with the exception of the above mentioned Bergen night). Honestly, the other days I couldn't even tell we were moving it was so smooth! It was chilly to us but felt good. We were coming from 100 degree weather in TN so that may be why it felt colder to us. We wore our down jackets and vests most days but never really needed hats/gloves. Ports were great! I am hard pressed to pick a favorite. We did a mix of private and group tours. Much preferred the private tours. Nothing wrong with the DCL tours, but with young kids having the flexibility to do and see things at our own pace was priceless! Good luck with your decision!
Yes bar Bergen night, the seas were great and some good sunny days.

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed. I was just thinking about you and was going to PM to see if you enjoyed. So glad my tips on what to expect/wear were helpful, but grrrr on the others being unprepared. I took a lot of time and did and *extensive* follow up on this very issue for DCL on making people more aware of what they needed to wear/bring. How aggravating that they didn't pass on and that all was for naught. I'd found information before our trip by searching companies who did the tour--rightly figuring that DCL would be farming the PA out to dive--and saw the info on what to wear. It is very aggravating that I wasted all that time in filling out the dumb form--after I'd already gone to speak to the PA desk--and they did nothing.

This was by far the best PA we did on our 11-night last year, and probably the coolest/most memorable thing we have ever done on any vacation (including 5 Disney ABDs and 13 DCL cruises).

Just a funny note. I think I mentioned in my trip report that on our tour our guide Ragnar went crazy when a fish went right below us. It is incredibly rare to see one, and it was the first one he'd ever seen in many years of guiding.

For those of you wondering what it is, you snorkel at Silfri between the two tectonic plates in some of the most amazing crystal clear blue water you will ever see.

I have a couple pics in my trip report, but if I remember later, I'll add some more here when I'm not on my laptop. http://www.disboards.com/threads/23...ics-with-abd-add-on-updated-complete.3427323/

Yes, your help was greatly appreciated! I was going to message you to let you know I did go through with the snorkeling and was so glad I did it. I am surprised that Disney didn't use your recommendations to inform those who take the excursion of what to wear. They did send one of the Port Adventures staff on tour with us to experience it so maybe she will inform them that they should tell people what to wear. I just recommended this tour to a friend's daughter who leaves for Iceland tomorrow and she booked it directly from the company.

I recommend that others read your travel report from last year which was well done. Once again, thanks for your help!

I hope you had a great time on your Adventures by Disney Greece trip!

Last edited:
We went in 2015. Good info above. I'll add: it was too short!!

Great ports, we did both DCL and private excursions and enjoyed them all, so choose based on your comfort level (going on your own vs with DCL) considering time in port and what you want to see. For example, we wanted to see the Viking ship museum in Norway but DCL only offered a few combo choices, so we picked the combo with the glass museum, which turned out to be a great and memorable experience. Iceland was awesome, and Orkney Scotland was more beautiful and interesting than we would have imagined.

Seas: bring a choice or two of motion sickness meds, read up on how others deal with it as there are a variety of choices, and hope for the best. We had some rough seas, but not as rough as described above.

Bring your camera!!

As they say in the WDT,

I would like to take this opportunity...

To thank all the cruisers on this cruise, in our cruise meets group, the thread, and met on the ship, who were not part of any cruise meets.
So many very very nice people.
Whilst we were not part of FE, we got many gifts, thank you.

We travelled lighter, to be honest up to the Tuesday 12th, we didn't know if we could go, re my condition, and it had an major effect during the cruise.

I am very pleased we did, and those who helped when I was unwell.

We had kind comments, it was nice some named me thier " Cruise director".

I am so pleased the advice on private tours helped so many make an enjoyable cruise a fantastic cruise.

I was really touched by the kindness, the chocolate, the scarfs, and those who looked after my son in the evenings and overnight! When I was in bed.

I am just sorry I had to prioritise my " available energy" to being in port, and recharge on the ship. So saw less of some of you, but bumped into many when I could.

Thanks to all for your feedback and suggestions. Thankfully I am in the planning stages and can use all of this great information

I was on the earlier sailing this year. Disney Fantasy did a great review. For our cruise, we had much more rainy weather. I really overpacked for cold weather that we never experienced.

We did mostly Disney tours on this trip and had great experiences. Overall, I highly encourage private tours though as they allow you the most flexibility.

I posted a quick overview of each day on my blog if you want to check it out at www.livingthedisneydream.com

Enjoy!

We were on the early cruise. I don't remember any rainy days, but we didn't get off the ship until 11 am in Norway. I believe it had stopped raining by then. Iceland was warm and Sunny. Scotland was cold and windy.

I would recommend renting a car in Iceland. It gives you the freedom to go at your own pace and do your own thing. There's lots of things to see that the tour buses don't stop at.
If you stop at Stavanger and want to cruise through the fjords. Do it on your own through Rodne. You can book ahead online or buy day of, but you'll save a lot of money. If your in Bergen don't book the funicular through DCL. It's a 15 minute walk from the ship, and cost about 4.00 to ride it up the hill.

Just re Driving in Iceland.

First above poster gave a great post, but we had three days with extreme Iceland and we discussed driving. Many places you would think, roads great, signs good, this is easy.

Do accustom yourself with specific Iceland road conditions before going if you drive. Like the long one way bridges and protocol there, our drivers all said many tourists get it very wrong, and if they gave to reverse up, it chases issues.

My driver took us off road in places, Tarmac suddenly is rocks then sand, one place he phoned the office to check if he could use a road as conditions had changed, they said no.

We went to non tourist places, 1/ to look at rock pools, and he had to check the conditions, we got out, my foot at one point went through the ground, sunk, and then steam came out, it was thin, he had stopped just before it, but there were car tracks there! 2/ another turned to sand that certain cars would get stuck in, 3/ mobile coverage cut out in places, what do you do, if there is a mechanical fault and you can't call anyone? - and have a ship to get.

We went where the tour buses do not know and for a good price, pick up and drop off in port, and route planned, and back up of alternative vehicles on mechanical faults.

Funny, this occurs in Invergordon a battery fault, luckily where we went into cell coverage, we had just discussed it five minutes before what to do when there isn't coverage.

In summary, roads can be very good, plan routes, study and research, have contingencies, and take care as for the experts there, they see things change all the time,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter