Fedding your baby "the natural way" on the Monorail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breastfeeding in public is par for the course in most other countries. I still don't get why Americans are so squeamish about a totally natural way of feeding a baby.

Just jumping in on this thread and haven't gotten to the others yet but I really take issue with your word "squeamish". That is not it at all. Squeamish is when you see blood and feel ill. In our country, in most countries, the breast has come to be viewed as a body part related to sex, hence young boys awking at National Geographics with pictures of naked tribal women for years! Nothing sexy about it but man, "her b@@b is showing!" and off they go.

There is very little reason that a woman cannot discretely cover herself and her babe with a light blankie if she is feeding the child. I compare it to polite table manners. You don't chew with your mouth open, you use a napkin, you don't (sorry to be so blunt) fart at the table, etc. It is a courtesy because what you *have* to do, while perfectly natural, is still going to cause a commotion for others.

Breast feeding in public = no no

It's a private thing between the baby and the mother. If you want to do it at home, or in private, no problem. If you run out of baby forumla or didn't milk enough, lost a bottle, ok, just cover up and do what you have to do. HOWEVER, if it's not covered up it's indecent exposure in my eyes. Is it natural? yes, but peeing is natural too. Would you not be offended if a man whipped it out and peed in front of you? Yes, you would mind. What if the woman standing in line squatted and peed right there? I personally would probably scream, but that's just me. My point, just because it's natural doesn't mean it's proper etiquette to do it in public.

Btw, breasts=sex for men. Dosn't matter if there a baby on the other end, it's still sex. I said b 'O'x2 bs but it's censored, lol!!!

It's basically saying, "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME"!!!

And one more thing, when reading this thread keep in mind that there is a bias on the topic as the vast majority of the members that enter threads like these are women/mothers. Same with the school topic. Also the board in general sticks up for the Europeian way of living, and over there it is acceptable. But just know that going into this.

"I agree it can be uncomfortable because our society isn't oriented this way, but there is a way to nurse without showing a thing if you tuck your shirt around the baby's head (material touching the babies lips). The baby covers your stomach and your arm covers any side views. It's not at all hard to master. In my 2 years of nursing (2 kids, 1 yr each), I did this all the time with no blanket and I had not one single weird look. I don't know why more women don't do it that way."

Exactly.....no big deal just adjust accordingly. Look, in some countries you don't shake hands and people adjust, you dont' wave....people adjust....., breastfeeding "may" make some folks uncomfortable....adjust and cover a bit. No biggee..... No one is saying go sit in a porta-potty to nurse, just be considerate of others feelings as well as your own and your childs. And while you're at it.....when they have a temper tantrum, please take them out of the restaurant! ;)

It's a private thing between the baby and the mother. If you want to do it at home, or in private, no problem. If you run out of baby forumla or didn't milk enough, lost a bottle, ok, just cover up and do what you have to do. HOWEVER, if it's not covered up it's indecent exposure in my eyes. Is it natural? yes, but peeing is natural too. Would you not be offended if a man whiped it out and peed in front of you? Yes, you would mind. What if the woman standing in line sqatted and peed right there? I personally would proably scream, but that's just me. My point, just because it's natural dosn't mean it's proper ediqute to do it in public.

Btw, ****s=sex for men. Dosn't matter if there a baby on the other end, it's still sex.

It's basicly saying, "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME"!!!

Breastfeeding in public = a legally protected right. Florida is one of many states that have passed laws protecting a mother's right to feed her baby. It is not indecent exposure.

It's a private thing between the baby and the mother. If you want to do it at home, or in private, no problem. If you run out of baby forumla or didn't milk enough, lost a bottle, ok, just cover up and do what you have to do. HOWEVER, if it's not covered up it's indecent exposure in my eyes. Is it natural? yes, but peeing is natural too. Would you not be offended if a man whiped it out and peed in front of you? Yes, you would mind. What if the woman standing in line sqatted and peed right there? I personally would proably scream, but that's just me. My point, just because it's natural dosn't mean it's proper ediqute to do it in public.

Btw, ****s=sex for men. Dosn't matter if there a baby on the other end, it's still sex.

It's basicly saying, "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME"!!!

You're out of line, sorry. It is in no way indecent exposure and I take issue with you saying that as I'm sure others will too. Peeing in public by an adult who can control him/herself is a lot different than feeding an infant and don't start with the whole "go to the dressing room/car/closet deal. Men are the ones who have made this such a tough issue for everyone and can't distinguish between sex and proper body usage. Guess they want to see us pee too since that shows "sex" parts too?????

HOWEVER, if it's not covered up it's indecent exposure in my eyes.

Laws regarding bf in all 50 states disagree with you.
And feeding your hungry baby in public (which is often necessary unless you never leave your house) in no way compares to public urination! :confused:

And feeding your hungry baby in public (which is often necessary unless you never leave your house) in no way compares to public urination! :confused:

Is it all 50 states now? When I was BF, there were still a few states that hadn't passed laws yet. I'm glad to hear the rest have. :thumbsup2

I think that it is over the top to compare breastfeeding a baby and whipping it out to pee in front of someone. I breastfed in public. I was as discreet as possible. If it was hot, I covered with a blanket until she was latched on. Then I could remove the blanket so she did not overheat.
I breastfed her for a year. We went places that claimed to have a "Mother's area", which was in the women's bathroom. Like a previous poster said, I would not expect you to eat your burger sitting on a toilet. Even if the baby doesn't care, how nice is it for the Mom to have to sit in there smelling those lovely bathroom smells.
Frankly, I expect that most people are as discreet as possible. But as you read some commentary, you get the impression that these women are holding onto a pole swinging the ****s around with no infant near them.

men sexual parts = *****

womens = ****** and breast

That's where the comparison came from, though I like the one of chewing with your mouth open more as it makes more sence, lol!!!

You're out of line, sorry. It is in no way indecent exposure and I take issue with you saying that as I'm sure others will too. Peeing in public by an adult who can control him/herself is a lot different than feeding an infant and don't start with the whole "go to the dressing room/car/closet deal. Men are the ones who have made this such a tough issue for everyone and can't distinguish between sex and proper body usage. Guess they want to see us pee too since that shows "sex" parts too?????

Breastfeeding in public = a legally protected right. Florida is one of many states that have passed laws protecting a mother's right to feed her baby. It is not indecent exposure.

2iayhzl.gif

I guess you don't know what the phrase "In MY eyes" meant. You see, I(ME, MYSELF) and most men see the breast as a sexual body part. In MY eyes, I think that sexual body part should be covered at all times when in public. IF you want to breast feed in public go for it, but pull the blanket out of the diper bag and cover you breast please.

I did not mean it was literally indecent exposure because that would be n absolutely stupid law, people need to feed! Just cover up.

Oh good grief!! Breastfeeding is fine but cover is up or at least be discreet about it.

I agree with everything you say except for the men making this a tough issue part. It seems to me that women are the most offended by public breast feeding than men. At least from what I see. I try not to bf in public because I am uncomfortable because I'm afraid of offending someone. I will not let my baby go hungry, though, so I'll cover up and do it if I have to in a corner somewhere, as far away from people as possible. Like I hid way behind Pooh's Playful Spot in an area where there was nothing to offer anyone who may roam over there. I was well covered. When I see someone publicly bf-ing I am happy that they are feeding their baby.

I think that it is over the top to compare breastfeeding a baby and whipping it out to pee in front of someone. I breastfed in public. I was as discreet as possible. If it was hot, I covered with a blanket until she was latched on. Then I could remove the blanket so she did not overheat.
I breastfed her for a year. We went places that claimed to have a "Mother's area", which was in the women's bathroom. Like a previous poster said, I would not expect you to eat your burger sitting on a toilet. Even if the baby doesn't care, how nice is it for the Mom to have to sit in there smelling those lovely bathroom smells.
Frankly, I expect that most people are as discreet as possible. But as you read some commentary, you get the impression that these women are holding onto a pole swinging the ****s around with no infant near them.
Discrete is finding a place where there are not tons of people around. It seems like you did that, and I have no problem with it. Heck if you're in the park on a bench and you're covered go for it. But not covering up and doing on the monorail near closing is not that place.

Breastfeeding is fine, just be modest please.

It's a private thing between the baby and the mother. If you want to do it at home, or in private, no problem. If you run out of baby forumla or didn't milk enough, lost a bottle, ok, just cover up and do what you have to do. HOWEVER, if it's not covered up it's indecent exposure in my eyes.

:sad2:

As it happens, the law does not side with you with regard to indecent exposure.

You must have a difficult time getting through life if a woman breastfeeding is that offensive to you? I feel really sorry for your repressed outlook on the world.
I'm sure you avoid all museums and art galleries because there might be nudes?

If bf relates to sex to you, then you may want to educate yourself on the biology of it, go to a lecheleague meeting (you don't have to be breastfeeding to attend...they are very open to educating everyone), read some literature on the importance of breastfeeding.

yes, breasts related to sex for men..that is biology as well or we would go extinct. NOTHING wrong with that. However, a breast with a baby latched on and a mom who is about to fall over exhausted isn't the same as looking at and airbrushed playboy.

And as far as peeing goes, men all stand next to each other at urinals and 'whip it out' and pee...perfectly acceptable. From what I understand, it is odd if a man goes into a stall in the bathroom just to pee.

When it comes down to it....if it is so over the top offensive, don't look. It's none of your business. There's a whole big world to look around at...especially at Disney. Let the kid eat.

This really reminds me of a friend of my family. She is soooo ultra conservative. I think she believes that breastfeeding is even a bit vulgar and wrong even in private. When she watches a movie, if someone kisses, she fastforwards it and gasps at how offensive it is. But, when someone's head gets blown off in the movie at closerange...she watches it and it's perfectly fine. (meanwhile, I feel nauseated by the violence).
HOW can that be ok and breasfeeding is not meant for anyone to see????

:sad2:

As it happens, the law does not side with you with regard to indecent exposure.

"HOWEVER, if it's not covered up it's indecent exposure in my eyes."

Bold = opinion, not law.

I see that people don't understand that and it's going to be THE post of the thread.

2d1r1q1.gif

yes, breasts related to sex for men..that is biology as well or we would go extinct. NOTHING wrong with that. However, a breast with a baby latched on and a mom who is about to fall over exhausted isn't the same as looking at an airbrushed playboy.

Tell that to a horny 14 year old boy! :laughing:

It's a private thing between the baby and the mother. If you want to do it at home, or in private, no problem. If you run out of baby forumla or didn't milk enough, lost a bottle, ok, just cover up and do what you have to do. HOWEVER, if it's not covered up it's indecent exposure in my eyes.

Is it natural? yes, but peeing is natural too. Would you not be offended if a man whipped it out and peed in front of you? Yes, you would mind. What if the woman standing in line squatted and peed right there? I personally would probably scream, but that's just me. My point, just because it's natural doesn't mean it's proper etiquette to do it in public.

You CANNOT possibly compare breastfeeding with public urination!
People eat in public all the time - babies too.

NO ONE regularly goes to the bathroom in public. Society has decided the elimination of body wastes takes place behind a door!

Babies get hungry, baby wants to eat - give em a breast! I think it is sweet to see a little one nurse.

Tell that to a horny 14 year old boy! :laughing:

I think they have seen worse.
I also have no problem with a 14 year old boy experiencing natural urges. I would rather they become desensitized to that than to video games where they blow people's heads off or speaking with every other word being swear words.

And like a pp said, they should at least see that breasts are good for something productive.:cheer2:

You must have a difficult time getting through life if a woman breastfeeding is that offensive to you? I feel really sorry for your repressed outlook on the world.
I'm sure you avoid all museums and art galleries because there might be nudes?

If bf relates to sex to you, then you may want to educate yourself on the biology of it, go to a lecheleague meeting (you don't have to be breastfeeding to attend...they are very open to educating everyone), read some literature on the importance of breastfeeding.

yes, breasts related to sex for men..that is biology as well or we would go extinct. NOTHING wrong with that. However, a breast with a baby latched on and a mom who is about to fall over exhausted isn't the same as looking at and airbrushed playboy.

And as far as peeing goes, men all stand next to each other at urinals and 'whip it out' and pee...perfectly acceptable. From what I understand, it is odd if a man goes into a stall in the bathroom just to pee.

When it comes down to it....if it is so over the top offensive, don't look. It's none of your business. There's a whole big world to look around at...especially at Disney. Let the kid eat.

This really reminds me of a friend of my family. She is soooo ultra conservative. I think she believes that breastfeeding is even a bit vulgar and wrong even in private. When she watches a movie, if someone kisses, she fastforwards it and gasps at how offensive it is. But, when someone's head gets blown off in the movie at closerange...she watches it and it's perfectly fine. (meanwhile, I feel nauseated by the violence).
HOW can that be ok and breasfeeding is not meant for anyone to see????

I see we grew up with diffrent values and morals. I grew up being told that it's better to cover up than not to. I'd rather not be caught staring, because then that might offend the feeder, and I will then be offended for her not covering up and putting myself it such a awkward position. That's the man's perspective, and I'm sure the perspective of the teeneged boys sitting on the monorail that watched her...

And btw, I'm not offeded by art, as you twisted it.

Perhaps you should educate yourself with something called connotaions. It's a literary term for things that we personally relate to other things. Wether it's words, items, body parts, places, whatever.

Example:

Halo: Angel, protection, heaven, God, horns

Disney: Walt, Mouse, Mickey, Cinderella's Castle, Disneyland

You see, they are 100% personal and differ between people. I think of breast and think sex. I'm sure 99.9% of other men will say the same thing. I would say milk and baby as well, but yeah.

You need a better understanding of men because your view is very stereotypical. When I pee I want privacy. There are unwritten rules when it comes to peeing in the stalls, like if one on the other side is open away from men take that one, and there are tons of others but that would take too much time to explain.

That situation is entirely diffrent, much like my peeing situation.

i know this wasn't your intention, but as a mother who tried for weeks and COULDN'T breastfeed, this makes me feel so bad. i had no choice but to give my DD formula-she was literally starving because my milk wasn't enough. it makes one feel horribly inadequate.

Oh no, wasn't my intention at all. I am so sorry!! Don't feel bad about something you had zero control over. Some women have medical issues that prohibit it. You did what you needed to do to provide for your baby, and that makes you a caring momma, not an inadequate one :thumbsup2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter