February crowds and weather

KelleyK75

DIS Veteran
Hello, I am looking for some info from disers that go to WDW in February, specifically the week before Presidents Day. I've seen the crowd predictions, but wanted to know from someone that has experienced it themselves. I know around Presidents Day it is really crowded, and have seen predictions of the week of, as in Presidents Day is on Monday and the Tues-Sat following is when it's most crowded. I was thinking of planning a trip the week prior to Presidents Day being on Monday. Can anyone tell me what the crowds are like then? And how's the weather? Is it rainy then? I can take cooler temps but hate dealing with the rain.

Also I think I've heard they do special character meet and greets on Valentine's Day? Can someone tell me about that?

Thanks so much!!

Hello, I am looking for some info from disers that go to WDW in February, specifically the week before Presidents Day. I've seen the crowd predictions, but wanted to know from someone that has experienced it themselves. I know around Presidents Day it is really crowded, and have seen predictions of the week of, as in Presidents Day is on Monday and the Tues-Sat following is when it's most crowded. I was thinking of planning a trip the week prior to Presidents Day being on Monday. Can anyone tell me what the crowds are like then? And how's the weather? Is it rainy then? I can take cooler temps but hate dealing with the rain.

Also I think I've heard they do special character meet and greets on Valentine's Day? Can someone tell me about that?

Thanks so much!!

I've gone a couple of times at the beginning of February. One time it was warm and sunny, another time cold and rainy. Anytime between November and March can really vary. Once you hit April it's going to be warm and then hot.

I can't answer the Valentine's Day question, but WDW starts to get crowded right around Thursday before the holiday weekend. The weather in our experiences has not been particularly rainy, but the temps were 60's/70's. Of course, weather is a huge variable.

Once in February it was cold and rainy and I had my umbrella in the queue for Tomorrowland Speedway. Once I was loaded in the car and strapped in, they told me that I wasn't allowed to carry the umbrella while riding (though I could easily have done so), so I had to endure the entire ride getting soaked and nearly freezing.

But the wait was short.

We were there this past February and the weather was hit or miss, but the kids managed to get some pool / Typhoon Lagoon time in a few days.

As for crowds, in addition to President's Day you also need to check for the racing events. The weekend of the Princess Half Marathon was CRAZY. On top of that, we didn't realize they shut down some of the main roads for this event (haven't been there before) and we literally could not get from the Boardwalk to the Contemporary for our Chef Mickey's reservation. It took us 1.5 hours to make the drive and we only got through once they started re-opening the main roads. I will never again go during one of these racing events unless I plan to camp out at my resort.

Other days of the week the crowds were definitely less than that weekend but at no time would I say we had "low" crowds. We're used to going in January and it was definitely more crowded than that the whole week.

I've gone a couple of times at the beginning of February. One time it was warm and sunny, another time cold and rainy. Anytime between November and March can really vary. Once you hit April it's going to be warm and then hot.

Thank you! :goodvibes

I can't answer the Valentine's Day question, but WDW starts to get crowded right around Thursday before the holiday weekend. The weather in our experiences has not been particularly rainy, but the temps were 60's/70's. Of course, weather is a huge variable.

Thank you! :goodvibes I had wondered if once it gets closer to that weekend is when it picks up.

Once in February it was cold and rainy and I had my umbrella in the queue for Tomorrowland Speedway. Once I was loaded in the car and strapped in, they told me that I wasn't allowed to carry the umbrella while riding (though I could easily have done so), so I had to endure the entire ride getting soaked and nearly freezing.

But the wait was short.

Oh my, I bet that was crazy. I've heard in the past both that it's chilly and rainy and warm and sunny. I guess it just depends. Thank you! :goodvibes

We were there this past February and the weather was hit or miss, but the kids managed to get some pool / Typhoon Lagoon time in a few days.

As for crowds, in addition to President's Day you also need to check for the racing events. The weekend of the Princess Half Marathon was CRAZY. On top of that, we didn't realize they shut down some of the main roads for this event (haven't been there before) and we literally could not get from the Boardwalk to the Contemporary for our Chef Mickey's reservation. It took us 1.5 hours to make the drive and we only got through once they started re-opening the main roads. I will never again go during one of these racing events unless I plan to camp out at my resort.

Other days of the week the crowds were definitely less than that weekend but at no time would I say we had "low" crowds. We're used to going in January and it was definitely more crowded than that the whole week.

That is crazy! I will definitely keep my eyes open for race weekends. My parents spend wintertime in Florida and I am thinking of going down to surprise them for my Dad's birthday, which just happens to be Valentine's Day. If it's a race weekend I might just have to surprise them another time. :) Thank you! :goodvibes

Thanks so much!!

We are also heading down the week before President's Day. Hoping to get a few good days of park touring in before the crowds start building for the holiday weekend. Friday and Saturday leading up to PD will be our "lazy, spend more time at the resort" days, and then we'll leave on Sunday, the day before PD. Hope this plan works!

The Disney Princess half marathon is Feb. 19-22 next year, so we shouldn't have any problems with marathon crowds the week before PD.

We are also heading down the week before President's Day. Hoping to get a few good days of park touring in before the crowds start building for the holiday weekend. Friday and Saturday leading up to PD will be our "lazy, spend more time at the resort" days, and then we'll leave on Sunday, the day before PD. Hope this plan works!

I hope you get in some good days before the crowds start. :) This is all tentitive for me, so I am not sure what the plan would be, but if they have special princess with prince meet and greets (which I've heard but haven't confirmed) then I want to be at MK for Valentine's Day, which is on Saturday, so I'm sure it will be busy then. :eek:

For the past 3 years, I've been at WDW for several days in early February, always leaving on the Wednesday or Thursday before Presidents Day weekend. In many ways, it's a great time of year to go. For me, the biggest negative is that Splash is closed more often than not.

2012 weather, I had two freezing cold mornings, but no rain, and once the cold snap passed it was beautiful. Just don't go to AK on a really cold day because not all of the animals will be out. 2013 weather was beautiful all the way through, no rain, highs in the 70s, couldn't have been nicer. 2014 weather had two days that dripped rain on and off, cool but not cold; rest of the trip was beautiful.

In 2013, WDW was doing the "Limited Time Magic" promo, and the entire week of Valentine's Day was "True Love Week," with the Princes out with their Princesses. It was great. I was not there for V-Day this year, so don't know if they did anything special on the actual day, but they were not doing the week-long thing.

I've found crowds to be quite manageable (even 2013 when I was there on Mardi Gras) and have only really had to use FP for the usual suspects (TSM, Soarin', etc.). The only reason I'm looking at April for next year is because I miss Splash, and I'm sick of having to worry about winter travel weather at home.

We are planning a trip Jan 31 - Feb 9 and we will hopefully squeeze in between the really busy times. As far as the weather is concerned, being from northeast Ohio, anything over 40 degrees in February is going to feel WONDERFUL.

A few years ago my son and I went the week before Presidents day and it did not get all that busy until the last day to check in for the deal I believe it was FD that year and then it got busy.

That year the weather was great however we have been during Presidents week twice when it was VERY COLD.

For the past 3 years, I've been at WDW for several days in early February, always leaving on the Wednesday or Thursday before Presidents Day weekend. In many ways, it's a great time of year to go. For me, the biggest negative is that Splash is closed more often than not.

2012 weather, I had two freezing cold mornings, but no rain, and once the cold snap passed it was beautiful. Just don't go to AK on a really cold day because not all of the animals will be out. 2013 weather was beautiful all the way through, no rain, highs in the 70s, couldn't have been nicer. 2014 weather had two days that dripped rain on and off, cool but not cold; rest of the trip was beautiful.

In 2013, WDW was doing the "Limited Time Magic" promo, and the entire week of Valentine's Day was "True Love Week," with the Princes out with their Princesses. It was great. I was not there for V-Day this year, so don't know if they did anything special on the actual day, but they were not doing the week-long thing.

I've found crowds to be quite manageable (even 2013 when I was there on Mardi Gras) and have only really had to use FP for the usual suspects (TSM, Soarin', etc.). The only reason I'm looking at April for next year is because I miss Splash, and I'm sick of having to worry about winter travel weather at home.

Great, thank you for all of the info! :goodvibes Maybe the 2013 "True Love Week" is what I had heard about? I think it would be really cool to meet both Prince and Princess together. :)

We are planning a trip Jan 31 - Feb 9 and we will hopefully squeeze in between the really busy times. As far as the weather is concerned, being from northeast Ohio, anything over 40 degrees in February is going to feel WONDERFUL.

I totally understand. I am from Cincinnati, and our weather this past winter was horrible. I really hope that this winter is much more managable. Last year we went at the end of March which was so nice being in Disney while I was hearing it was snowing at home. Feb. would be even nicer, I'm sure, as far as Disney weather being nicer than home. :)

A few years ago my son and I went the week before Presidents day and it did not get all that busy until the last day to check in for the deal I believe it was FD that year and then it got busy.

That year the weather was great however we have been during Presidents week twice when it was VERY COLD.

Ok great, thank you! :goodvibes Do they usually offer some special during Feb? I haven't ever been before in Feb so I don't pay that much attention to the specials.

Mardi Gras is February 17, 2015. I know a lot of NOLA folks head to WDW at that time because kids are out of school.

Mardi Gras is February 17, 2015. I know a lot of NOLA folks head to WDW at that time because kids are out of school.

Ok, thank you! It sounds like it would be best to be out of the parks by the Friday before because they will probably get busy starting on that Saturday. Valentine's Day is Sat so I might have to brave it depending on if they do anything special for that day. :)

It will be my first time going in Feb too..My Hubby and I are gonna stay a couple nights after our couples cruise.
We will be at AKV Feb 5th through the 7th...:goodvibes

I hope to have 70's for temps, but know that does not always happen. I have been in early December and had to wear scarves, hats and gloves...brrrrrr:worried:

Still it will have to be better than winter in ST Louis so I am willing to take the chance.

I have read the first week of Feb is pretty quiet???

just planning an Epcot day and dinner at La Hacienda..Can make my ADR's
soon!

Excited ,but have to get through our trip in Nov first for DD sweet 16!:p

I love the weather in Feb. Mild, I wear short sleeves and capris, sometimes need a sweater. No humidity.

I love going in February. I go the half marathon week in late February. Crowds are generally very light. With good planning, I never waited more than ten minutes for a ride. I try to choose good FPs and always show up at rope drop. Also it was easy to get the ADRs I wanted. The weather was great. There was usually a small sunshower each day that lasted for less than 30 minutes (but cleared the parks of the uninitiated, who assumed that rain equals go back to the hotel). The mornings were nice and breezy. Lunchtime would get hot to me (probably around 80?) and evenings were again breezy.

We've been in February 4 years in a row now. (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)

Crowds are usually fine. We went from the 10th to the 17th this year meaning we had President's Day right at the end, but crowds were great at the beginning of the week.

Weather can be changeable. Layer up. You'll definitely need sweatshirts for late nights as they're freezing!

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advise. I really appreciate it!

Has anyone been on Valentine's Day before and experienced anything special with the characters? Do they have on different costumes, like a different dress for Minnie, etc? I am trying to decide if I should do the first part of that week and leave by Friday or stay through Valentine's Day. Thank you! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter