• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

February 17, 2007

Ok -- since I took down my avatar and replaced it with a Saints design I made, I'm posting this pic of me with my son, Brian, taken at Pat O'Brien's in the French Quarter of New Orleans in November. This was taken before he left for Marine Security Guard School. He's now at the US Embassy in Vienna, Austria.

This photo looks more like I do now than my avatar from last February. My hair is a little longer now.

mebrian.jpg

I also think the tasting would be a great, fun way to meet! Lisa you look way too young to be his mom...

I am trying that shipping Glory Anne wrote about. I packed stuff for martini's and bottles of wine! Wish me luck.... Heidi

The wine tasting does sound like fun, 2:00 p.. on Sunday would be good, I also would love to do the martini and tequila tasting if anyone is interested.
LIsa, you do look way to long to have grown kids.

If there is a margarita to be tasted you will find me there;)

I have a massage scheduled on Monday from 2:00-3:15. Time for a little relaxation in the rainforest room and shower in the spa, then margaritas? Now THAT's a vacation!!
(I wonder what DH and the boys will do. DH will probably hit the gym, and I assume my kids will be off with someone's else's kids from the group...OK, I am good to go!)

Does anyone know how long the tastings last??

Thanks for the compliments . . . . and on my 45th birthday . . . you guys are too much! :rotfl:

Okay -- anyone that wants to do the first tasting, you need to go to Guest Services and get your ticket once you board the ship. If they say they don't have tickets yet, ask to be put on a list to be contacted when they are available. They book quickly, I've read -- especially the beer tasting.

If you don't wish to do the tasting but come along for the fun . . . I am sure the CMs won't kick you out for being with your buddies.

I'm a martini drinker too -- chocolate and dirty martinis are my favs but I think I'd enjoy a tasting.

I received a msg back from Ed saying he'd do whichever tastings I'd like to do . . . so he'll be along for them as well. I didn't tell him I'm going to have friends there!

Okay ladies. . . lets see some photos of you so we'll have a visual to put with the names.

If there is a margarita to be tasted you will find me there;)

I have a massage scheduled on Monday from 2:00-3:15. Time for a little relaxation in the rainforest room and shower in the spa, then margaritas? Now THAT's a vacation!!
(I wonder what DH and the boys will do. DH will probably hit the gym, and I assume my kids will be off with someone's else's kids from the group...OK, I am good to go!)

Does anyone know how long the tastings last??

Sue:

My spa on Monday starts at 2 as well and I'll regretfully miss the margarita tasting. My favorite margarita is the Chili's Presidente' --- I crave those things!!!

I've never read how long the tastings are but I would say not to exceed an hour. The wine tastings are probably 45 minutes. At at least one of the wine tastings they go into detail about wines. Don't know if its both or just the Stem to Stern tasting.

Lisa

Sue:

My spa on Monday starts at 2 as well and I'll regretfully miss the margarita tasting. My favorite margarita is the Chili's Presidente' --- I crave those things!!!

I've never read how long the tastings are but I would say not to exceed an hour. The wine tastings are probably 45 minutes. At at least one of the wine tastings they go into detail about wines. Don't know if its both or just the Stem to Stern tasting.

Lisa

Happy Birthday Lisa! :party: You really do not look 45!!
How long is your spa treatment on Monday? Is it your long one?

My friend meakes a mean choclotini. So smooth... I found lime infused tequila and am hooked. It will be interesting to see other types.:dance3:

I will dig for a photo, but I am usually the one taking the pictures, so there aren't many of me.

Its the Couples Spa Villa -- from 2 til 4:40. We'll be good and relaxed after that!!

I have a chocolatini receipe that the bartender at my favorite establishment gave to me after much pestering. Clear creme de cocoa, Vox vodka and a splash of sugar water, chilled and poured into a chocolate rimmed and swirled glass. Oh so potent!!

Thanks for the birthday wishes!!

Since I'm working tonight, I went to eat with my children and two grandbabies last night -- BOILED SEAFOOD!! We had boiled crawfish, shrimp and crabs. I topped mine off with a dozen fresh raw oysters and two budlites! oooolaaaaalaaaaa

If ya'll think the shrimp on the buffet are good . . . you haven't tasted good until you eat it prepared by a cajun!!!

The only reason I had a photo of me was because I made Ed take it of me and Brian in Pat O'Brien's with our almost "done" hurricanes. It was Brian's first ever trip to Pat O's and I wanted to have a photo of it -- especially since his first time was with his mom! We went over to Coyote Ugly's after we left there since it was on the way to our car. Right after that, he left for Marine Security Guard school and then to Vienna. He wanted to get out and do "something" before he left. It was daytime but at least we have the memories!

Vivian:

I was surprised he hadn't gone yet! In high school, he took his dad's truck to the Quarter during MARDI GRAS (without us knowing)!!!

The day after he turned 18, he left for bootcamp and has been gone most of the last four years. I thought for sure on one of his trips home from overseas that he would have gone already but he hadn't.

When this pic was taken, he had recently turned 22.

My 24 yo daughter is still waiting for me to take her to the piano bar at Pat O's. She said it wasn't fair that I took Brian and not her! He's easier -- no children to get babysitters for!

I really do enjoy going out with my two older children. We have great memories of their lives after turning 18. My 24 yo still doesn't like to go out to adult places unless her dad or I am with her. She has more fun with us than if she goes with people her own age. Its been a while since we had a night out and with Brian gone until December, it won't happen again anytime soon.

Lisa - I agree with the others that you look great! And happy birthday too! My husband longs for a crawfish boil but they're just not too common around here.

I'm getting jealous about the wine tasting meets, but since we don't have Flounder's time books during any of those tasting looks like we won't be able to make those. Unless we are able to get more Flounder's time once we get on board. We don't have anything specific we'd like to do kid free so we aren't planning on running there for more time, but we'll see.

I wish you got 10 hours per kid, to use as you wish between them both, cause I'd just use all of mine for my son to sleep everynight while we're at dinner. He doesn't really eat food yet and goes to bed at 6:30 so he could just sleep in a crib there everynight. I'm hoping he'll sleep in his stroller at the table, if we can get it dark enough. Sigh.

I confirmed with DCL that Madison can attend the Oceaneers Club activities so now it's just a matter of seeing if she'll want to stay there alone. She really wants to do the Nemo Coral Reef thing and the Mouseketeers in Training, but even though she's been in preschool everyday for the past 1.5 years, she's still super apprehensive of getting dropped off alone anywhere.

I'm starting my packing this weekend since we won't need any warm weather stuff here for awhile! We've just left 1 luggage out since our WDW trip over Christmas so I might as well start packing it with the kids stuff.

I have a feeling that you'll be able to book more time in Flounders. My grandson absolutely LOVED Flounders. When he'd pass by there and wasn't going in, he'd throw a fit!

Since then, he's been put in a preschool setting two days a week and he LOVES to go to "school."

Flounders was his first experience being cared for by anyone other than my daughter or family and it was a great one for him.

I have a feeling that you'll be able to book more time in Flounders. My grandson absolutely LOVED Flounders. When he'd pass by there and wasn't going in, he'd throw a fit!

Since then, he's been put in a preschool setting two days a week and he LOVES to go to "school."

Flounders was his first experience being cared for by anyone other than my daughter or family and it was a great one for him.
Lisa,

I can't imagine that you are a grandma at 45 years old. You look awsome!!! I'm 47 and CAN wait for that to happen. I did however, start menopause (I know big scary word) last month. What a shock that was! Thank God that I got it under control, or I might not be getting married next month.

Thanks to all, for the information about what can be checked and what can't on the airlines. We want to bring wine and champagne from California, for the wedding. We will now be checking a couple of cases as luggage. I hope they will be hadled gently but I will bubble wrap them as well as put them in large zip-lock bags.

Setting up meetings at the Martini, Wine & Margarita tastings (all of the above works for me!) sounds great.

Debbie:

I've been having hotflashes at night for about 1 1/2 years already and it was driving me CRAZY. That was all before I found out I had a huge fibroid tumor and had a hysterectomy this past October. I am absolutely LOVING not having to experience heavy flows with a monthly visitor!!!

I wish you all the luck with remaining sane through it all! My family thought I was psychotic for a while but now I'm sooo much better!

I wasn't ready to be a MawMaw at age 40 but I didn't get a vote in the matter -- except for deciding I would be called Nana instead. Our last cruise (2/25/06) was with my grandbabies and it was great!

Lisa

Lisa, my mom goes by Nana too. How old is your grandson? You're giving me hope that Flounder's will go well this trip.

Madison's first experience away from us, other than a relative, was Flounder's as well. She was only 3.5 months old though. She seemed to love it the first night, as there were only maybe 4 other kids in there and she was being rocked to sleep by a very nice CM. She actually cried when I took her back, so I guess she was very comfortable.

The last night we took her back and the experience wasn't as great. We actually signed up up for 2 hours every night so that we could bring her there for maybe an hour or so that she'd get comfortable with it so that we could enjoy Palo's our last night. Well we ended up not leaving her the 2 middle nights cause when we got there on night 2 the place was absolutely mobbed and it took about 15 minutes just for a CM to get to the front to check us in (and there were other families waiting to drop off too). When the CM finally came out we told her it was too crowded to leave Madison and she agreed and apologized and said they were pulling Club counselors out cause they needed more staff and they would be there within the half hour if we wanted to come back, but we didn't. She waived the cancellation fee due to the circumstances and we ended up cancelling the next night and moving Palo's to the earliest possible time and moving Flounder's too. Thinking that the earlier it was the fewer kids would be in there.

And that was true, but when we picked her up around 8:30 it was still pretty crowded. And though we had asked to be paged if she cried, we were not and she was hysterical and just falling asleep in her travel swing (which we brought down there so she'd have something familiar), doing that sniffle sob that babies do after they've been crying forever. It was the worst mommy moment I had up to that point-I felt so guilty for leaving her there to cry for 2 hours while I ate dinner.

But we're hoping for much better experiences this time around. Since Henry goes to bed at 6:30 I'm not so worried about him (other than the Palo brunch, every other Flounder's time is when he'll be sleeping) and Madison is almost 3 so she'll be fine. Angry at being dropped off maybe, but otherwise fine. She might be better about being left since her brother will be there too. She does like school a lot now, but when she started last September she cried at drop off everyday till mid-January. And she just transitioned to the 3yo class last week and so we've been dealing with morning tears again since then. She's fine once she's there, but it's that transition from mommy to teacher (or whoever) that does not go so well.

It's usually fairly easy to book additional Flounder's time during "off season" cruises. This is a big one for teens and older elementary kids as many have the week off school--thus, generally fewer babies. It's really funny to see the different kid ages during the different times of the year.

I had a few minutes, so I went on the DCL site to check availibility.
Only 1 or two rooms showing in cat. 4-6, a few more in cat 7, cat 8 + 9 are GTY, most rooms availible are in cat 10-12.
They must have done the upgrading because so few rooms are available at the higher priced categories.
We stayed where we booked, but that's OK.

If anyone gets upgraded, be sure to PM me and I'll update the list before I send it out this weekend.

I'm crossing my fingers for an upgrade. As it stands we are in cat.11. I need a window....
Evelyn

Happy B'day Lisa!

I will try to figure it out first but if I can't I'll need help posting my family pic.

I can meet for all of the tasting but the beer ones - David has claimed those!

I am so sad I wanted to get to Homedepot today but couldn't fit it in! I was thinking of ironing Stuffed w/Fluff on the back of my kids Disney t-shirts!

I have to help my kids with some reading now - Good night!

GA

Happy Birthday Lisa!:bday: My daughter, Hannah, and I went back to Home Depot to get some more green mickey's and as luck would have it an employee was standing right there. After she walked away I took a few, ok, more than a few, and we quickly walked away. We are pretty much open to any meets, the wine tasting sounds good. And so do the margaritas!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter