• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Feb 24 - March 3 - 7-day Western - TR from 1st Time Cruiser!

Am really loving your trip report. It is bringing back so many memories of our MAGICal cruise last September. I had to laugh at your watching channel 12 because at times when I couldn't sleep, I watched that too. I liked the fact it showed the nautical miles. Can't wait for the next installment!

I am LOVING your trip report....we will be on the Magic starting May 5th......so your trip report is getting me into the mood!!!!!

Knowing that the "at sea" day would bring a draw of kids to the pools, we went to Topsiders with bathing suits on underneath. By 9 am as we wrapped up breakfast, the Mickey Pool was already pretty crazy! So off to the Goofy Pool we went - with DH and I enjoying our second cup of coffee and the kids enjoying the hot tub and the pool. What a great way to start the day.

Temper Tantrum - of Sorts

At 10 am, DH announces to DD10 that she is going to the clubs for the next 4 hours!!! "What!" she says. Hint to other parents - it may be easier to convince kids of protracted stays in the clubs if you hand over the Navigator and help them think that it's actually THEIR idea! We had actually looked at the Navigator, and with the pools getting busier by the minute, the Culture Shock (learning about the world's cultures), Pathfinders and Animation at Animator's Palate (learn animation techniques and then draw some Disney characters) seemed interesting to us (as we thought to ourselves, Cove Cafe and Quiet Cove Pool - here we come...).... At the same time, the 5-7s were doing Monstropolis, Circle Games, Flubber and lunch in the club. DH insisted, and ultimately DDs complied, secure in the knowledge that they could page us if they were truly miserable. DD10 marched to the club, while DD5 danced to the club. Go figure!

Ah, freedom..... had a Cookies and Cream iced cappucino with DH and just sat and watched the world go by for a while. Then we took a dip in the Quiet Cove pool and experienced life on the Magic for those without children. The pace, the solitude, everything seemed almost surreal - it's amazing how just a few hundred yards away there is mayhem, and then you can retreat to the adult area. It seems to me that the adult area of the Magic must be even quieter than most pools, bars, coffee/Internet cafes, etc. on other cruise liners. With so many parents down ship with their children, it was like an oasis in the dessert to walk into Cove Cafe....

After swimming for a while, we decided that we really wanted a burger for lunch - why we didn't go for an adult lunch at Lumiere's during our child-free hours escapes me, but a yummy burger pool-side seemed like a phenomenal idea at the time. And truthfully, any meal that you can eat while it's still hot because you haven't had to first organize a child's meal, cut it into bite sized pieces, get them a drink, get them a fork, get them a napkin, help them clean up the spills, etc. - is ultimately heavenly... :cool1:

Making of the Disney Magic

DH wanted some educational programming, so headed off to the Making of the Disney Magic presentation at 1 pm. I took my first trip to Shutters and tracked down our embarkation photo and purchased it so that it didn't have to get moved over and over again as the picture racks filled up with character photos etc. Even on our cruise, which ended before the official announcement of the two new ships, DCL was starting to allude to the imminent announcement, which was exciting to hear first hand. DH was intrigued that the ship was built in 2 halves and then brought together later.

As the clock marched towards 2 pm, we went to retrieve the kids from the club. DD5 danced on out again, with Flubber in hand (we HAVE to go to the fridge immediately, as it has to stay cold!). DD10 sent me away - Mom, go away, we aren't DONE YET! Well OK then. Strange reaction, isn't it, from someone who simply could not BEAR the thought of going to this club a few hours ago. Ten minutes later, when she really was willing to leave, she announced - I don't want to hear I told you so...... Yay, DD10 will maybe agree to go the club again, even after DH's edict from the morning. :woohoo:

Cinderella

We had planned earlier to get the kids out in time to head to the Walt Disney Theatre for the matinee performance of Twice Charmed. On our cruise, on the "at sea" days the shows were on as a matinee in addition to the 2 evening performances, and given our desire to stay out of the sun in the hottest part of the day, the show seemed like a great way to spend the next hour!

The entire family thoroughly enjoyed Twice Charmed. For me, it was my favorite production of the entire week. Perhaps it was because I had just as much fun watching DD5 watching the show as I did watching the show itself. :) Cinderella is her favorite Disney movie (although she is a bit scared of the previews she has seen at Walmart for Cinderella 3). She has a Princess-themed bedroom, a Cinderella backpack, a Cinderella bedside clock, and went out for Halloween last year as Cinderella. So it was not a big surprise that she settled into her chair and was mesmerized with a glowy expression on her face as she watched the story of Franco and the exploits of the evil stepmother as she attempts to undo the happy ending of the Cinderella story. The actors were very good - I particularly liked the actor portraying Franco. He was out for character greet and photo ops later in the week on the Friday night, and she got her picture taken with Franco, the evil stepsisters and the Fairy Godmother! She was in heaven! :cloud9:

Beer

After the show, DD5 went back to the club as DH and I were heading off to our beer tasting session at 4 pm in Diversions. Despite the interesting activity in the 10-12 age group, DD10 asked if she could spend the hour in the room (she spends some time at home alone now too, since she is 10), and we figured - what could go wrong in a locked room, so we let her do this. Stay tuned to find out what can go wrong.

The beer tasting was excellent. We tried 4 different beers - and other than having to wait at least 20 minutes for the privilege of trying our first taste, it was excellent. Next time, I am ordering a pint to see me through until he finishes talking about beer. We had the good fortune of having a bartender who really knew his beer and the history of beer-making. I think he could have talked forever! If I had known that they would be show-casing 4 different beers on Thursday's "at-sea" day, I would have signed up for that too! In Canada, we buy our beer at "The Beer Store". At least a few dozen gentlemen come in and out picking out their favorite brand, standing in line to pay and leaving, while DH and I wander the aisles looking for an interesting micro-brew to try this time. So beer tasting was a great outing for us!!!!

As we sauntered back to the room feeling pleasantly relaxed after 4 half-pints in a one-hour time span, all seemed well as DD10 was relaxed and watching That's So Raven on the TV. Turns out that 5 minutes after we left, a CM slid a letter under the door. The letter was not for our stateroom. So she leaves the stateroom to chase after the CM - without her KTTW card. :eek: Clever DD now goes down to Deck 3 (barefoot) to Guest Services, and seeks out a new KTTW card, goes back up to Deck 6 and lets herself back into the cabin. Sigh. She certainly likes to seek out adventure. When she is 18, I will give her check-out privileges in the clubs.:rotfl2:

With the beer tasting not ending until 5 pm, we still had to get DD5 and get cleaned up for dinner, and it was Formal Night! We completely missed getting our formal shot taken before dinner, so we headed into Animator's Palate for the show, with strict instructions to the kids NOT to spill on their formal dresses until we could a family photo taken!

I have read many, many posts on the boards that the Animator's Palate show is disappointing if you let yourself get too hyped from all of the advance reading. So, ironically, I was well-positioned to be underwhelmed. So, I ended up impressed - if that makes any sense. I went in to the experience expecting not to see major light displays on the walls - I found the wall changing pictures to be entertaining and low-key - and enjoyable. What I did enjoy about AP is the sheer uniqueness of the space - with everything starting out black and white and then the changes that occur throughout the meal. I liked the other touches that happen at the "finale" of the show during the first rotation - the servers changing their vests, the surprise arrival of a special character - all of it! Anyways, we liked AP!

Since we had seen Twice Charmed in the afternoon, we were able to take in Lynn Trefzger's ventriloquism follow-up show for kids in Rockin Bar D at 7:30. Then we finally squeezed in our formal picture at 8:30, headed up to Deck 9 for some dessert, and then fell into bed and fell fast asleep - all 4 of us - at 9:30 pm.

Maybe DCL put something into my beer???? :laughing:

And now, I can see why everyone loves being at sea...

Up Next - Tuesday and Grand Cayman - our First Exposure to Tendering and Sea Grapes Beach

Sorry to step on OP Report but my DD got her hair done is September she had just turned 4 and this was the style we selected. It cam out cute and not tears. By the way Great Report.

Thanks! And no worries about adding in the picture! A picture speaks a thousand words! I will add some of my own as soon as we get them off the digital camera and on to the Internet!

Excellent report, and you even missed some winter weather. What's not to like about that!

You are so right, we missed the March 1 ice storm entirely! We met up with a couple in Buffalo whose luggage was somewhere in the Midwest. They had taken so many flights trying to get home that they despaired of ever finding out what airport their luggage would end up in...

All in all, we picked a great week for weather.

And now, it's warming up here in Ontario and it's officially Spring - we saw a robin yesterday!

I am LOVING your trip report....we will be on the Magic starting May 5th......so your trip report is getting me into the mood!!!!!

Hi - I am SO envious. I wish we were going in May again already! We are working with our TA to get going on a booking for next February! Same itinerary, same week, and (if the DDs get their way), same cabin. I told them they may not get the same servers!

I am loving your report. I can totally relate to your DD 10 and the card issue. Our DD did the same exact thing. She is 10 also.:rotfl:

Gotta hand it to those two girls...they are resourcefull!!

Of course my mother let me roam the halls and ride the elevators when I was nine... I also used to check the pay phones for cash... another lifetime ago!!!

Hi everyone,

Quick post just to tell you that we received our Castaway Cay postcard that we mailed to ourselves this week some time (just checked the mailbox). So that makes it 3 weeks or less to get a postcard from Castaway Cay, as we mailed it on Friday, March 2, and it would have arrived on Friday March 23 or earlier this week some time.

I have to admit that I thought it was a somewhat strange idea to mail ourselves a postcard, but I wrote on it to "close your eyes and remember the day when you mailed this postcard", and since it is drizzling and miserable here today, it was a wonderful thing to do just that!

So - TIP - mail yourself a postcard from C Cay - it's worth the $1.50 for the postcard and the stamp, and the postcard will make it into our scrapbook for sure!

:thumbsup2

So how much is postage from CC?

It's a great idea to send yourself a card!!!

I guess they have to go back to the Bahamas before they can mail it?

I am really enjoying your trip report. It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation.
We are getting ready for our upcoming cruise April 21, 7 night Western, so I'm especially interested to learn about the kind of things you did during your cruise. It's funny how one trip can be enjoyed so many different ways!
There is just so much to do...Thanks again, can't wait to read the next part.

So how much is postage from CC?

It's a great idea to send yourself a card!!!

I guess they have to go back to the Bahamas before they can mail it?

Hi,

I can't recall the EXACT amount, but I think it was about 50 or 60 cents per postcard. It depended on the size of the postcard, but it was definitely well under a dollar each. There is a small post office right on Castaway Cay, and I believe that the worker at the post office is actually a Bahamian postal worker, not a DCL employee. Note - they sell stamps, but not postcards - you have to buy your Castaway Cay postcard on the Magic in one of the shops, then buy the stamp (with US cash) at CC, and then they take it away and mail it for you!

Hi cdndizzylizzy!

I came across your TR last night. I enjoyed reading it and cant wait for more! I have not been online much since the trip. We are still in Army Lodging after our move to Savannah. That will all change soon..we bought a house and move into it on Friday (my b-day!) So, maybe I can do a short report oneday (hopefully I can remember everything) ;)

You were talking about the sail away party and Riley being so excited. Destiny was right in the front the WHOLE time! She loved it and had a BLAST!

We mailed postcards also. :thumbsup2 One more tip: mail one to your child's classroom! Our kids were in the middle of moving to another state so we mailed thier old classmates a postcard.:thumbsup2

Waiting for more.......

Hi cdndizzylizzy!

I came across your TR last night. I enjoyed reading it and cant wait for more! I have not been online much since the trip. We are still in Army Lodging after our move to Savannah. That will all change soon..we bought a house and move into it on Friday (my b-day!) So, maybe I can do a short report oneday (hopefully I can remember everything) ;)

Waiting for more.......

Nice to hear from you Becca! Good luck with your moving - second time in 2 months!

We set our alarms to have an early breakfast, and were done our daily dose of Topsiders omelets and berries by 9 am. We were also entertained at breakfast by a "pirate ship" which was sailing around the bay firing at us. I think some cruisers had excursions on that ship later in the day. We headed down to the Buena Vista Theatre ready to tackle the tendering process.

Tender Experience

There were about 4 rows full of people ahead of us, and I was all set to while away the time waiting to be called for our tender by putting on the DDs sunscreen, especially since I know that people on excursions get "first dibs" at tenders. As luck would have it, just as we sat down the CMs said that the next tender was ready and it was time for us to file out row by row, walk down the hall, down the stairs all the way to Deck 1 and get on to the tender. I have no idea how long the first 4 rows had been waiting, and I can only hope that on all future cruises we are that lucky again - I think we were in the Buena Vista Theatre for about 1 minute - hardly long enough to even sit down!

The tenders they were using were quite a bit larger than others that I saw for other cruise ships, and was in excellent shape. It was very stable, with a first and second level, and there was plenty of room to sit either in the sun (which we did in the a.m.) or in the shade (which we did in the p.m.). Some of the best views of the Magic were about to come our way, as we motored away from the ship which was moored off Grand Cayman. DH went up to the top level and snapped away. The only downside was that there was another cruise ship further out from the Magic which prevented him from getting a postcard-perfect shot of the Magic in the Mediterranean waters.

IMG_6958.jpg

It was fun to try the tendering process, but I am really glad that GC is the only stop where this is necessary. It was very convenient to walk off and on the Magic at Cozumel the next day, and again at Castaway Cay on Friday.

Sea Grapes Beach on Seven Mile

After a short ride into the village of Georgetown, we disembarked from the tender and were ready to start our adventure to Sea Grapes Beach. I had read up on the beaches of Grand Cayman, particularly Seven Mile Beach, on the Internet before we left, and felt like I had the whole thing under control. So we took up one of the dozens of offers we received for a cab ride, and we were instantly on our way to the beach. This is a very lucrative business - being a taxi driver in Georgetown on a cruise ship day. For a 10 or 15-minute cab ride (which was thankfully air-conditioned on the way there, but not so on the way back to Georgetown which is when we REALLY needed it), he made $5 per person. There were 9 of us in the cab - several were dropped off at the Royal Palms (at least I think that is what it was called) and then he took the 4 of us to Sea Grapes.

Perhaps we are spoiled by all of the wonderful sandy beaches in Ontario on Lake Huron and Lake Erie, and past trips to Cape Cod, Mass where there is room to stretch, play a game of beach volleyball, and perhaps even fly a stunt kite without having to worry at all about bumping into people around you. Sea Grapes was great, it really was, but WOW did it get crowded. I think I have read that all of Cayman's beaches used to be wider (i.e. more beach between where the beach starts and the water meets it) before the hurricanes a few years ago. When we arrived, it was already very hot (about 10:00 am by now), and DDs had NO sunscreen yet. So we took the time to get that done, then rented chairs and an umbrella ($21 US - package deal) and settled in. DDs started making a sand castle a few feet away from where we were sitting, and then we went for a swim. Again, we are used to having more than 15 or 20 feet before it gets over your head, so it took some getting used to. The water was great - clean, beautiful blue, and with a soft, sandy bottom. We had lugged our water shoes, but didn't find that we needed them. The sand on the beach was also great for sandcastles. All around us, people were parasailing, renting jetskis, and generally enjoying themselves. Behind us was Calico Jack's, selling drinks, lunch, etc. There were also showers for rinsing off the sand and clean public washrooms. I had planned for us to have lunch there, but it just kept getting more and more crowded. Eventually, another group put their chairs and umbrellas between us and the kids and their sandcastle.

IMG_6988.jpg

HINT - if you go to the beach at Seven Mile at Grand Cayman and rent a chair, put your chair RIGHT at the water's edge - that way, no-one can take your view away! ;)

Now being a seasoned cruiser (LOL), the next time I plan a beach excursion I will not plan on a 4 or 5 hour experience, especially if it's Day 1 in the hot Caribbean with my fair-haired DDs. DD5 was getting very pink, very quickly, despite the 50 SPF sunscreen, T-shirt and hat. I think that 2 hours for the first day is all our DDs needed or wanted, especially since there was so little room to spread out. Sandcastle - check, several dips in the Caribbean - check, snack on pilfered melon from Topsiders (don't do this at Cozumel, but no one checks at GC) - check, and it was time to go. Even with the $60 US investment, I think it was well worth the trip. $15 each for 2 glorious hours on one of the best stretches of beach in the world? Sounds reasonable to me! So, we skipped Calico Jacks and went back to Georgetown. And I was glad to be able to leave when WE decided it was time to go, so I am glad I did the beach excursion on our own as opposed to through a DCL excursion.

The cabs were waiting at Sea Grapes, and it was not a problem to get back to Georgetown immediately. On the way back to town, there were 10 passengers in the mini-van. Quick math: $50 for the driver for 10 minutes work...

By now, it was 12:30 and we were HUNGRY! Faint with hunger (said DD10), we succumbed to the tourist trap of the Breezes Restaurant that was located immediately across the street from the tender dock, and in the heart of Georgetown, wishing that I had researched a Plan B so that I could have had a list of awesome restaurants, frequented by the locals, on the side streets to choose from. Regardless, Breezes ended up being a decent, if somewhat expensive, stop and we had good quesadillas and ribs, and some COLD GC-brewed microbrewery beer (yum!) with the DDs having smoothies. We opted to sit outside (in the shade) as the indoor sitting in the AC was full to the brim.

After lunch, we took in the shops and followed through on the research that we HAD done in advance to satisfy DD10s insatiable need to shop. We eventually found some neat souvenirs at Del Sol (where you too can purchase nail polish that changes colours in the sun - who knew we needed that...) and at the Blue Iguana, which I thought had a great selection of T-shirts. DD5 bought a stuffed Grand Cayman turtle to be friends with the stuffed Nemo she had bought at the Disney store before we left Orlando (remember the turtles that accompany Dory and Nemo on their journey? - she had it all figured out!). Stuffed Nemo and Grand Cayman turtle later were to find a place of honour alongside the cool, sunglass-wearing, towel-animal shark one evening in our state room!

IMG_7074.jpg

Returning to the ship was a breeze (and thankfully there WAS a breeze!). The tenders were moving regularly, and again we walked right on and it filled quickly.

IMG_6993.jpg

We were back on board by 3:45 pm, and by 4 pm we were swimming in the pools until we headed back to the room to get ready for - pirate night! pirate:

Pirate Night

Pirate Night was a day early on our cruise. I found out after we returned through the DIS that this was because there was a plan for the next night at Cozumel to leave later than usual (1 am) and allow CMs some (much-deserved) time off the ship. So, the fireworks would be on Tuesday night after we set sail from GC on our way to Cozumel. This worked out PERFECTLY as far as we were concerned, as our PLAPLAP rotation had us in Parrot Cay for dinner on Tuesday, so we had the optimum decor for the bandannas and pirate festivities. Not all of the organized activities were successfully moved to Tuesday however, as Captain Jack Sparrow was out for character greet on Wednesday evening, not Tuesday. I noticed several guests who must have re-donned their pirate gear for their picture with Captain Jack on Wednesday. As an aside, I thought the CM who played the part of Jack did an awesome job. Either he really WAS drunk (unlikely) or he had really practised the part! :laughing:

IMG_7069.jpg

The Pirate Night menu is the only one that made it home with us as a souvenir. It was a fun night, with DDs wearing festive skirts and the whole room getting into the spirit of the evening with bandannas aplenty. I felt sorry for our tablemates, whose kids had abandoned them for the clubs. It's so much easier to pretend to be a kid again when you are actually WITH your kids....

IMG_7021.jpg

After dinner we took in Rich Purpura the Magician :wizard: for a while, and then headed off to the Golden Mickeys. I have read many posts on the DIS about which show is the favorite, and why, and the Golden Mickeys seems to be up there for many DIS'ers. For us, the Golden Mickeys didn't capture our attention - perhaps it was because it was already WELL into a very long day. Up early, quick breakfast, tender, cab, build sandcastle, swelter, hot cab ride, wait for lunch, walk around hot village, walk back to tender, swim in pools, excitement of pirate dinner. Phew! Nap time anyone? No time! Perhaps the other reason that I didn't like the Mickeys is that I am a sucker for a storyline, which is not what the Golden Mickeys is trying to do at all. So, don't listen to me - see it for yourself and be the judge! And even after having said it was not my favorite, it was still very good, and I am certain that I will end up settled into a good seat in the Walt Disney Theatre next February to see the Golden Mickeys once again (and maybe I will get DH to go ahead and try to get DDs interviewed on the red carpet - that was fun to watch!).

The Pirates in the Caribbean night got into full swing at about 9:45 pm, and the fireworks were at 10:30. We watched the party for a while while snacking on our ice creams, but DD5 was wilting - fast. So we wandered further up on Deck 10 where it was cool, dark, and quiet - as I have read elsewhere on the DIS there was a band trying valiantly to be entertaining at the Quiet Cove. Tough gig. We enjoyed some quiet family time further up Deck 10 talking quietly about our day and all that it had delivered, and then resolved to head off to bed as DD5 announced that she no longer cared whether she saw the fireworks. :sad2: Just as we headed off, we walked back into the melee as Mickey slid down the line and the fireworks began! :cheer2: Talk about impeccable timing! DD5 got her (11th) wind and we stayed to watch them go off - with a perfect vantage point! What fun!

After that it was truly bedtime - we tucked the DDs in, and then DH snuck back up to the pirate feast and brought me back some treats. Mmmm. Ended the night with chocolate-covered strawberries. Another day full of fun memories...:thumbsup2

Up Next - Chapter Wednesday - Cozumel

Thanks Elizabeth! This wa a great installment. Did your younger DD get her braided too? Rumor has it that it is slightly painful and we are taking our DGD age 5 in May. I want to know all I can in case I have to talk her out of it!:rotfl:
Karen

Hey Madisonznana - check out my earlier post - I have added a picture of DD10 with her hair braided (and some other pictures too!). That should help you to compare what she had done to other pictures!

I thought I was crazy! I just read your installment and there were no pictures and then I go to post and there are pictures.:rotfl: Great report and I love the pictures. Tell your girls they are beautiful since you said they are reading.

I am really enjoying your trip report. It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation.
We are getting ready for our upcoming cruise April 21, 7 night Western, so I'm especially interested to learn about the kind of things you did during your cruise. It's funny how one trip can be enjoyed so many different ways!
There is just so much to do...Thanks again, can't wait to read the next part.

Hi! Glad you are enjoying my TR! They are lots of fun to write, as you re-live the day as you write about it... The kids are enjoying reading the posts after they are up on the DIS. I am so envious that you are going in a few weeks. Being from PEI, you may also find the beaches more crowded than you are accustomed to! Hope you have a great trip!

Elizabeth

Hey Madisonznana - check out my earlier post - I have added a picture of DD10 with her hair braided (and some other pictures too!). That should help you to compare what she had done to other pictures!

That does look really cute. But that would be an all day job with long hair and she doesn't have near the patience!! Thanks for adding the pictures! I am so excited about our trip when I read really great TR's. And yours is wonderful!
Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter