Feb.13th(lucky for some) 2010 Eastern Valentines Cruise - The Love Boat Sails Again !

I am hoping and praying but just don't know what to do. My dad has been in the hospital since 1/29. He has a multitude of health problems. He has been on a real roller coaster this time - one day they talk of discharging him, the next they are thinking ICU. He was progressing steadily and the cardiologist, who I've known for years, told me last week to go ahead with the cruise. Yesterday morning, he looked great. After lunch, he had a sudden and severe downturn and they called the rapid response team (not quite a "code blue") and he stabilized. Cardiologist came for that and afterward told me he was declining far more rapidly than she expected, and she was reversing her recommendation about the cruise and that I probably shouldn't go too far.
I sat with him all night - the nurses were great - offering blankets, tea, snacks, etc. He was pretty stable all night and today DH spent the day with him (he was there for yesterday's events) and said that if he didn't see yesterday with his own eyes, he would never have believed me. Today he is sitting in the chair, eating, drinking, watching tv, and joking around.

I feel so terribly guilty about worrying about my cruise, but his health has been unstable for well over 10 years. If I let "what if something happens" dictate my vacations, we wouldn't go anywhere. I think he'd frankly be PO'd if he knew we cancelled for him. DH and I would get over it, but I hate to do it to the kids. Today they were actually talking about sending him home at the end of the week. Yesterday was more of a don't buy any green bananas kind of day.

Our flights are Thursday morning. If I could change them to Saturday morning I would just to buy some time to make a decision.

I just don't feel that I have a right answer yet - thanks for the vent. Really hope to see you all on Saturday.
Barb - I was singing that song all week!

Truly sorry to hear about your dad. It is a tough decision and either way you may be second guessing yourself. If it were my child and grandchildren I'd want them away from my hospital bed. On the other hand if it were my mom in the hospital...

I pray that everything works out for the best and we see your family come Saturday.

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts and prayers. It really means a lot to me.

New kink in the plans - our flights out of here tomorrow have been cancelled. Southwest said we can rebook, but there are no flights available to do so.

I don't think we would really consider driving. It's probably just confirmation for me that we should stick around.

Have a fantastic time, everyone! I've enjoyed this thread very much.

I am hoping and praying but just don't know what to do. My dad has been in the hospital since 1/29. He has a multitude of health problems. He has been on a real roller coaster this time - one day they talk of discharging him, the next they are thinking ICU. He was progressing steadily and the cardiologist, who I've known for years, told me last week to go ahead with the cruise. Yesterday morning, he looked great. After lunch, he had a sudden and severe downturn and they called the rapid response team (not quite a "code blue") and he stabilized. Cardiologist came for that and afterward told me he was declining far more rapidly than she expected, and she was reversing her recommendation about the cruise and that I probably shouldn't go too far.
I sat with him all night - the nurses were great - offering blankets, tea, snacks, etc. He was pretty stable all night and today DH spent the day with him (he was there for yesterday's events) and said that if he didn't see yesterday with his own eyes, he would never have believed me. Today he is sitting in the chair, eating, drinking, watching tv, and joking around.

I feel so terribly guilty about worrying about my cruise, but his health has been unstable for well over 10 years. If I let "what if something happens" dictate my vacations, we wouldn't go anywhere. I think he'd frankly be PO'd if he knew we cancelled for him. DH and I would get over it, but I hate to do it to the kids. Today they were actually talking about sending him home at the end of the week. Yesterday was more of a don't buy any green bananas kind of day.

Our flights are Thursday morning. If I could change them to Saturday morning I would just to buy some time to make a decision.

I just don't feel that I have a right answer yet - thanks for the vent. Really hope to see you all on Saturday.
Barb - I was singing that song all week!

I feel so very sorry for all that you are having to go thru right now with your dad. I too, had a very similiar situation with my aunt (just like a 2nd mom to me since my mom had already passed away). We had planned a 4 night cruise, my DH and I, and she had taken ill right before we left. I actually sat down with her to ask her opinion about whether we should still go or not and she said she would have been so mad if we had cancelled our trip because of her. We did go, still had a great time and were able to come back with some cruise stuff for her and got to tell her about our wonderful trip. Her face lit up when she got to here about our adventures onboard. Sadly tho a few weeks later she did pass away quietly after we had gotten home. It was a very difficult time for me but I know now that we did the right thing by still going on our trip.

I think Barbara put it best that you do need to follow your heart and do what you feel is best for you and your family. I do hope we can meet you and your family on Saturday but if not please know that we are all thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way! Take care

Nanette

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts and prayers. It really means a lot to me.

New kink in the plans - our flights out of here tomorrow have been cancelled. Southwest said we can rebook, but there are no flights available to do so.

I don't think we would really consider driving. It's probably just confirmation for me that we should stick around.

Have a fantastic time, everyone! I've enjoyed this thread very much.

I am a true believer in "signs" the flight being cancelled may be the sign you were looking for to guide you in your decision.

Prayers to you, your dad and the entire family. :littleangel:

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this board (could have been reading for months) and am looking forward to heading out of this blizzard to Florida on Friday morning with my family. My husband and I are coming with our 8 yr old twins. You won't miss us---they both have fiery red hair. I have a question--I'd like to take an excursion on either St Thomas or St Maarten. Was thinking about a snorkeling trip, but I want to snorkel where we don't have to jump off a boat in the water...more like a cove. The Disney reps really weren't sure and suggested I wait until I get there. Anyone have any suggestions. Also, was considering the dolphin adventure (albeit, very expensive)--is it really worth it? Also, unable to get Palo reservation online--will we be able to once we arrive. We are all so excited. My kids haven't watched the crusie DVD a hundred times! Also, we are staying in Orlando the first night..not Disney shuttle. What's the best time to arrive on the ship?

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this board (could have been reading for months) and am looking forward to heading out of this blizzard to Florida on Friday morning with my family. Also, unable to get Palo reservation online--will we be able to once we arrive. We are all so excited. My kids haven't watched the crusie DVD a hundred times! Also, we are staying in Orlando the first night..not Disney shuttle. What's the best time to arrive on the ship?

Welcome pixiedust:

Which airport are you flying out of NY or NJ? I'm flying out of EWR early Friday morn. (I'm a bit nervous due to the weather)

Where are you staying in Orlando?

If you arrive early at the port around 9 am or 10 am, your chances are better for reservations on Palo.

Can't help you with the other excursions.

We are going out of Laguardia. By Friday, everything should be back to schedule, and I'm hoping since we have a reserved flight, we shouldn't have a problem. We're staying at the Embassy Suites in Orlando and was planning to leave around 10ish..but since you suggested getting to the ship earlier for Palo reservations, maybe we'll head over earlier. Didn't want to arrive too early and just have to hang around. Also, a friend recommened bringing a case of bottled water on board. Has anyone done this before?

Wow...I have a TON to do including packing. How did we get so close to the cruise and for once I am not prepared???

mygr8kdz - Will keep your family in my prayers. I cannot even imagine going through this. Although I agree with Barbara - perhaps the cancelled flights and not being able to get another one is a sign. It is so hard to make these decisions.

TampaFamily - Look forward to meeting you. We are right on the border between LOL and WC near SR 56 and 75. However I work near the fairgrounds.

missyone - welcome! Can't help you with the excursions. But we plan on hitting the line for Palo reservations once we are there too. We were able to make brunch but want to schedule dinner. Last time we decided at the last minute that we wanted to do dinner and was on a wait list and was able to go.

Well...the cold air is back in FL too. Again, the forecast changes daily. But today is in the 50s with a lot of wind which makes it cold. They say rain on Fri, but I am hoping the front slows and it doesn't come until Sunday. Hope everyone has safe travels. By the way...it takes me awhile to remember names so you may have to introduce yourself with your "real" name and your DIS name since that is how I will know most of you!:rotfl2:

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this board (could have been reading for months) and am looking forward to heading out of this blizzard to Florida on Friday morning with my family. My husband and I are coming with our 8 yr old twins. You won't miss us---they both have fiery red hair. I have a question--I'd like to take an excursion on either St Thomas or St Maarten. Was thinking about a snorkeling trip, but I want to snorkel where we don't have to jump off a boat in the water...more like a cove. The Disney reps really weren't sure and suggested I wait until I get there. Anyone have any suggestions. Also, was considering the dolphin adventure (albeit, very expensive)--is it really worth it? Also, unable to get Palo reservation online--will we be able to once we arrive. We are all so excited. My kids haven't watched the crusie DVD a hundred times! Also, we are staying in Orlando the first night..not Disney shuttle. What's the best time to arrive on the ship?

Coki Beach in St. Thomas is perfect for the snorkeling you are looking for. You do not need to book an excursion....just take a cab. There is a reef right off of the shore. You can swim with many beautiful fish just a few feet from the beach. If you bring dog food, they will even eat it right out of your hands. You can rent vests there if you want for the kids. We love it. We are debating about trying Magen's Bay this time (no snorkeling)...only because we have gone to Coki 4 or 5 times now, but part of me is afraid I will be disappointed. We love Coki.

We get to the ship around 11:15am. We like to get onboard early, have lunch and enjoy as much as we can on our first day.

Jess

PS...You'll see me and my husband with our 2 yr old twins and their siblings (son 12, daughters 10 and 11)

mygr8kdz - Sorry you won't be able to join us. Still have your family in our prayers.

Anyone else finding it hard to work this week?

Diane and I bought 7 bottles of wine today. We figured one bottle for each night at dinner.

Jess - What is Coki beach like if we don't want to snorkel? Is it fine for just lounging on the beach and are there bathroom facilities/restaurants nearby? We are trying to stay away from Magens because I've heard it's so crowded. How much is the cab fare per person from the port?

I wanted to spend Sat by the pool...but now that it's supposed to be in the 50's, I guess that won't be happening.

Karen, do you have me, Brooke and Diane down for the ladies lunch? We all want to go.

mygr8kdz -
I wanted to spend Sat by the pool...but now that it's supposed to be in the 50's, I guess that won't be happening.

Karen, do you have me, Brooke and Diane down for the ladies lunch? We all want to go.

I was SO Looking forward to getting some sunshine in my bones! Oh well.... we will have to spend Saturday in the Promenade Lounge after lunch and before our Meet and after our meet and after the safety drill and after the show/before dinner ..... I believe that I am suffering from deprivation of Vitamin D which can be cured by sunshine and/or copious amounts of alcohol

Yes, I have the 3 of you on the Lunch List. Bought our presents this week - Jody has been so out straight at work that it's been hard for her to find time to do anything to get ready. She really,really needs this vacation!

Our limo from WDW to the port will make a stop so that we can buy wine and whatever else looks good. Cant wait!

Well the suitcases are down from the attic and I have some clothes layed out! This MEANS the cruise is ONLY 3 days away!!! Since we leave on Friday I must be packed by tomorrow night and have the van filled to the roof with all the "stuff" I think I may need :lmao:

Sun I need SUN, WARM Temps, The Caribbean Ocean, FOOD, Frozen Drinks with Umbrellas in them AND FUN FUN FUN with New Friends!!! :cool1:

Well...pretty much finished packing tonight. Just have to put a few more things in my carry-on and I am good to go!!! :banana:
DH has checked out exactly where we will be buying our bottles of wine to take onboard. He even knows the exact distance from our hotel to where the store is at! :yay:
Safe travels to everyone leaving tomorow on flights out! We will be leaving on Friday! Really looking forward to this vacation....really need it!!:beach:
Was hoping to get some sun time on Saturday afternoon as well but I don't think the weather will be cooperating for that. Oh well...guess it will be cocktails then!

Looking forward to the Meet and Greet! See everyone then! :cool1:

OK, I forgot where&when the meet&greet is. Can someone save me from having to go back through 57 pages and give me a gentle reminder?

Meet and Greet is at 3pm on Saturday in the Promenade loungeparty: :drinking1 See ya then!!

Winter Weather Advisory:

If you are driving through/from Atlanta - it is supposed to start snowing (lightly) at 9 a.m. tomorrow (Friday) according to the weather service. Accumulation should not occur until after mid-day into the evening. Atlanta does not handle snow very well so I would advise anyone to leave early and give yourself plenty of time.

I am really hoping that school cancels or at least gets early release so we can hit the road. I do not want to drive in this mess! I would like to be far enough South so that the weather won't affect us.

Can't wait to meet you all!

-joy

Got my suitcase down from the attic last night, and today is packing and trying on things to make sure they fit, etc. Also have to go back in the attic for some summery stuff. Betty and I fly out Friday night and are taking the DCL bus to the port. I've been thinking about it, but can't come up with a plan for bringing any wine with us. My bag will be too full here, don't want to risk it breaking in my suitcase anyway. I doubt the DCL bus will make a stop for wine, so unless I find some in Orlando airport, I'll be getting my drinks onboard.

We had 12-14 inches of snow yesterday, and DH just called on his way to work to say the roads are covered in ice now. I'm still being positive that the runways will be clear by 7:30 tomorrow night.

Safe travels everyone, and looking forward to finally seeing you all in person!

Linda

Temp at Disney World right now... 39! Prediction for the port area on Saturday - high of 57! :scared1: Yikes - should we be packing COATS? GLOVES?

Linda - I will buy wine for you and Betty if you like. We have a limo from WDW to the port that includes a stop, which is how we will be buying ours. I am not a wine expert by any means, so you'll have to tell me exactly what to buy, but I'm happy to do it for you. We fly out tomorrow at 9AM from Boston with a connection in DC. I checked this morning and Dulles is open and most flights are running on schedule. We are staying at Boardwalk Friday night.

Karen

Got my suitcase down from the attic last night, and today is packing and trying on things to make sure they fit, etc. Also have to go back in the attic for some summery stuff. Betty and I fly out Friday night and are taking the DCL bus to the port. I've been thinking about it, but can't come up with a plan for bringing any wine with us. My bag will be too full here, don't want to risk it breaking in my suitcase anyway. I doubt the DCL bus will make a stop for wine, so unless I find some in Orlando airport, I'll be getting my drinks onboard.

We had 12-14 inches of snow yesterday, and DH just called on his way to work to say the roads are covered in ice now. I'm still being positive that the runways will be clear by 7:30 tomorrow night.

Safe travels everyone, and looking forward to finally seeing you all in person!

Linda

Linda.......DON'T worry your cabin is next to to us and we have packed enough rum for all of us :cool1: Remember I have the "cruise blender" :)
If you have a special wine you would like me to pick up for you I will be more than happy to since we are driving! ;)

ONLY 1 more DAY!!! WOOHOO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter