Fears after car accident

Time helps. The worst thing you can do after an accident is not drive, because the fear just grows. It was actually good that you had to get right back on the road to get to work. Play some calming music when you're in the car. If you're a numbers person, concentrate on how many people get from A to B without an accident every day. The more you drive, the more normal it will become again.

I can totally relate to your feelings. Over the years I have had a few fender benders but the one that really upset me was the one in '08 when an old sedan ran a yellow light and t-boned me as I was turning left. I was in my big Avalanche truck and the force shoved me over the 5 foot wide median down into the opposing lane traffic (empty, thank god). No one was physically hurt but it totaled both vehicles. I did drive not long afterwards but I still can't turn left from that particular street to this day. And I even get uneasy if DH is doing a similar turn in that intersection.

Yes, a bigger vehicle might help you as TAX GUY suggests; I know that my truck is all that protected me since anyone in my passenger seat would have been injured for sure.

It also helped me to go back to the scene a couple times with DH and tell myself over and over that I came out of this okay. I think my fears are lessening with each year. And I do drive a smaller vehicle now everyday in busy, rush hour traffic though I wish I still had my truck!

Last edited:
I have been in 2 major accidents plus several small ones over the years. The first major one I was sitting at a stop light in the off-ramp on the interstate and was rear ended by a semi who then pushed my van almost the length of a football field. I was a little fearful, but my job depended on me driving so I needed to drive. The hit didn't bother me as much as I kept reliving what would have happened if another car would have been there when he pushed me.

The last major accident was almost 3 years ago when a man passed out and hit me head-on and I was also hit in the rear by the car behind me because he couldn't stop fast enough. It totaled my brand new Mustang and left me in a wheelchair. While I am a more careful driver now, what has happened to me is I am an awful passenger. I hate the feeling of not being in charge and I am always afraid that the person driving won't stop or will be hit by someone. I very seldom let anyone but me drive which is hard in my condition.

It will ease with time. I totaled a car in 2012 by slamming into a car that stopped to turn in a downpour (I didn't see them stop)...with my DS-15 in the passenger seat. We were banged up but not really hurt so all was good but I had anxiety while driving for several months. Palms would get all sweaty and heart would flip flop as I had to slow or stop behind cars in traffic (really hate the stop and go). DS was a mess too and would yell at me or DH (whoever was driving) to slow down/watch out/pay attention/etc. The one little ray of light was that DS was learning to drive at the time and he's been a super careful driver.

OMG, I am so sorry about the accidents and the fear and anxiety.

Hopefully this is just a common and manageable thing, that, as others mentioned, time will help to take care of.

I had a minor accident in December and I feel like this too.
If I feel like this with my little crash I can't even imagine how I'd feel if I were you :hug:
Sometimes I feel like I'm being to careful now and that will cause the accident.
I second guess every time I want to change lanes - it horrible.
I'm getting better with time, but I think this feeling will always lurk in the back of my mind :(
I hope everything gets better with you.
Time does have a way of healing all wounds :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter