• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fear of heights

I had a really hard time on Goofy's Barnstormer. :scared:

I'm the kind of person who gets dizzy standing on a step stool changing a lightbulb and I loved Soarin'.

I'm horribly afraid of heights and avoid them as much as possible.

Soarin' is nice. I get a bit nervous in a few spots, but I really do enjoy the feel of it. I avoid looking down, however.

I dont know if I will like the feeling of "flying".Im not afraid
of heights but I dont like the feeling of being on the edge
and falling off.Is that how soaring feels?Like when you are
over the water or cliffs do you feel like you are going to fall in?I know its probably much more intense than Peter Pan
height wise and everything but Peter Pan is one of my favorite
rides at MK.

I am afraid of heights. (Hate bridges, tall bridges, etc.) I HATE Astro Orbiter (although, I ride it since my kids want to). I don't have a problem with roller coasters, for some reason. I have never had a problem with Soarin'. (It is actually one of my favorite rides.) And we always ask to sit in the top "glider". You should try it! (Start with the bottom row and work your way up.)

I dont know if I will like the feeling of "flying".Im not afraid
of heights but I dont like the feeling of being on the edge
and falling off.Is that how soaring feels?Like when you are
over the water or cliffs do you feel like you are going to fall in?

There are a couple of parts where you fly over some trees and they end suddenly, so it feels like you're dropping a little bit then. Otherwise it's very gentle.

My mom (Stitchfans) is afraid of heights too! She still goes on some of the ride but, not all of them! :lmao:

You sit in what feels like a hanglider. I don't remember there being anything to hang onto except the person next to you! You are harnessed in. There are 3 rows of seats. The first row lifts about 10 feet up and your feet hang. The second and third rows lift up behind the first so they are higher. You can ask to be in the first row so your actual height will be lower BUT the screen will be right in your face. So, height simulation might be greater. I think it depends on where you are with your issue. If you can logically tell yourself that you are only 10 feet off the ground (and can look down to see it!) then you will be fine. I also remember the theater being cold so that could be good for the other issues that go along with getting scared.

This seems fairly inaccurate. I've been on this ride a few times, but my recollection could be off somewhat. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.......

The seat is more like a ski-lift chair, but for more people. The first row lifts the highest, and I would estimate it at about 25-30 feet off the ground. The second row is lower and slightly behind the row above it. Third row is lower than the second row and slightly behind it as well.

If you want a low seat (relative to "real" ground), you will want to be in the row 3. I suspect it raises to about 10 feet off the ground. But once the movie starts, the simulated height seems much higher.

There are handles to hold onto and the belt does have a strap that goes between your legs (used for the little flyers) which may help you feel more comfortable.

It really is a great ride, imo, but there are others who don't enjoy it for various reasons.

Good luck.

I am afraid of heights. (Hate bridges, tall bridges, etc.) I HATE Astro Orbiter (although, I ride it since my kids want to). I don't have a problem with roller coasters, for some reason. I have never had a problem with Soarin'. (It is actually one of my favorite rides.) And we always ask to sit in the top "glider". You should try it! (Start with the bottom row and work your way up.)

Thanks for all the advice everybody! I am so bad with heights - ladders, bridges, balconies, everything! I had balcony seats for a Broadway show and couldn't sit there once I saw the distance to the ground. I think I'll try the 10 foot seats on Soarin' and see how I do.

Terrified of heights.....

1) Astro-orbitor- absolutely never again. i stared at the arm holding up my spaceship the entire time making sure it was securely bolted

2) SpaceMountain- I've only done once...and I was convinced I was going to fly off the tracks

3) ToT- Will do...over and over. The adrenaline rush you get compensates for the shear terror beforehand

4) EE- Very easy rollercoaster...you only know that you are high while going up the first hill

5) Soarin'- Terrifying. I kept imaging falling out of the chair into the concrete below. honestly...sad, but true...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter