Fear of flying.....

I am with you on the fear of flying. Mine really started after 911. Of course I refuse to let them win, but I do have nighmares from the time I book until the time I am home safe. I can't drink due to motion sickness, but I always take my drammine! ( Bonnie doesn't work as well for me.) Books on tape are nice, you can close your eyes and relax while listening to something that takes you mind off of flying.

umaangel00, I can feel for you. I too have a major phobia about flying. I guess unless you have that phobia, it's really hard to understand. I get over mine by driving to WDW. Yes it takes about 18 hours, but that's a price I'm willing to pay. I have flown, just did it in June to fly to DL. Of course, we took the train back. Anyway, I agree with what most people here have said. I myself look at the floor during take off (that's the worst part for me!). I also talk myself down (I get very anxious) so if you're ever on a plane and see someone talking to themselves like Rainman, that would probably be me. :rotfl: I also watch the people around me like one of the other posters said and I also watch the stewards. I figure if anyone would know if something is going wrong, they would. Needless to say, every flight I have been on, I have made it back safe and sound. In the end, you'll be fine but I do understand.

Tinkerbelles said:
because alot of the anixty for me on flying is the lose of control. when I am up front I do not see all those people, you know....that caulstphobic feeling?
I always sit first class, but this trip ...song put me in row 3. this makes a HUGE difference for me

i agree with you tinkerbelles i take xanax also when i fly. i sit as close to the front as possible in outside seat where i can see the exit sign and door. i have the see my out and be close to it. this way i am still somewhat in control of my situation and can deal with it better.

Okay, I may not know about your actual fear. But I know about planes and pilots. I work for a private jet membership company. I spend 40+ hours a week for the past year talking to the pilots about trips. TRUST ME! These are some of the most honest, concerned, stand-up guys that there are out there. They would NEVER even CONCIDER doing ANYTHING that might put you or anyone else onboard in jeopardy. Remember, it is thier lives too. They have wifes (or husbands) and kids waiting for them at home.

I hope that with a little support that you are able to make it through the plane ride. Enjoy your vacation! :wizard:

FanOfStitch said:
umaangel00, I can feel for you. I too have a major phobia about flying. I guess unless you have that phobia, it's really hard to understand. I get over mine by driving to WDW. Yes it takes about 18 hours, but that's a price I'm willing to pay. I have flown, just did it in June to fly to DL. Of course, we took the train back. Anyway, I agree with what most people here have said. I myself look at the floor during take off (that's the worst part for me!). I also talk myself down (I get very anxious) so if you're ever on a plane and see someone talking to themselves like Rainman, that would probably be me. :rotfl: I also watch the people around me like one of the other posters said and I also watch the stewards. I figure if anyone would know if something is going wrong, they would. Needless to say, every flight I have been on, I have made it back safe and sound. In the end, you'll be fine but I do understand.

fanofstitch,i agree,thats the only way i can bring myself down from attack now is to talk to my self. do you talk out loud or in your quietly? i have to do it loud enough for me to hear and know i mean business. its like talking to a child except its yourself that you are trying to make listen. :rotfl: but who cares what other people think if it works do it. if people stare at you just give them the look! :earseek:

Buzzfanmom said:
I'm also terrified to fly but I refuse to spend half of my trip driving from Maine. I think it is also about a 24 hour drive for us.
So my routine is, Zanax or something like it, lots of deep breathing, and something to take my mind off the actual flight like a portable DVD player or a book. We are flying Song this time so I am hoping that the TV's on the back of the seats will do the trick for my son and I. He's 5 and also nervous to fly and I obviously can't act scared around him.
Another poster had a great tip about taking a direct flight. I couldn't agree more. Especially if you have kids with you!
Anyone with a fear of flying knows its irrational but there is little we can do about it. I personally think its the months and months waiting for the flight that are the worst. Just thinking about it shoots my blood pressure right up. When I actually board the plane I'm not that bad. Maybe its the Zanax!!!! :earsboy:

i too hate to drive to fla it takes to much of my vacation time. thats why i am traveling 21/2hours to an airport to get a direct flight so i will only have one landing and one takeoff. i love the take off,love the speed. hate landing sort of freaks me out. also bought a dvd to keep me occupied so with the xanax and that the 2 hours should go by fast. the only thing i can say that helps me don't play the what if game! that will put you into a very bad place and create an anxiety attack. just think about all the fun you will be having not the present. you will make it,trust me!! :wave2:

I am also afraid of flying. I have flown 8 times total and don't plan on doing it again. All of the statistics in the world do not make someone who truly has a phobia less afraid. Sure logically I know all of this stuff, but I am not getting on one of those things! I try to figure out what my problem is. I think in a car, if you wreck it is usually very quick, so no time to think about what is happening to you. But in a plane, knowing that you are going down and it takes a couple of minutes really freaks me out! The time you spend falling I think. Anyway, that is what I think my problem is.

I got a prescription last time too by the way. The flight was delayed and I didn't know when to take it because I didn't know when take off would be. So I had to do without it on the way to vacation, but took it on the way back. I was much calmer (as much as possible anyway).

Luckily, we are about 8 hours from WDW, so no biggy to drive.

Sandra

SandrainNC said:
I am also afraid of flying. I have flown 8 times total and don't plan on doing it again. All of the statistics in the world do not make someone who truly has a phobia less afraid. Sure logically I know all of this stuff, but I am not getting on one of those things! I try to figure out what my problem is. I think in a car, if you wreck it is usually very quick, so no time to think about what is happening to you. But in a plane, knowing that you are going down and it takes a couple of minutes really freaks me out! The time you spend falling I think. Anyway, that is what I think my problem is.

Sandra

I see your point, but also need to point out that if the plane does go down, it usually happens w/in seconds after takeoff, so no, you won't have time to think about it.

Do what I do, thanks to John Cusack in "Say Anything." He hated flying, and always waited to hear that little "ding" when the plane was taking off. Once you hear the ding, you're fine and the plane is in "cruise" mode...

I know, if probably doesn't help, but as I said earlier, I was deathly afraid to fly, but there's just too much on this beautiful planet to see to let fear prevent me from seeing it... You only get one shot at this, people, and I don't want to waste it. ;)

Folks, when someone is afraid of flying, don't try to talk them out of it by explaining how irrational it is. Fear of flying is a visceral fear that has absolutely nothing to do with rationality. We cannot talk ourselves out of it, any more than you can talk yourself out of your own fear of heights or enclosed spaces or spiders or the dark or committment or whatever.

Having said that, I'll agree that Xanax is your friend. :flower:

if your ears are sensitive get ear planes (my ears are way sensitive and pop badly) and take a deep breath during lift off i use to be scared to fly but now i luv it

I see your point, but also need to point out that if the plane does go down, it usually happens w/in seconds after takeoff, so no, you won't have time to think about it.

Yes, but not always. I can think of a couple of crashes off hand that were not during take off or landing. So, they had plenty of time to think about it. See, logic just does not work when you are that scared. It is kind of funny since my DH has his pilot's license for single engine planes. He hasn't flown lately though.

Sandra

My DS is afraid of flying after have severe pain in his ears and couldnt get them to pop. So he associates flying with pain. This trip(which he doesnt know about inorder to decrease his anxiety) he will be taking valium. His Dr. is going to put him on a lose dose this month as a trial run. We want enough to take the edge off but not to totally pass him out.

My DH was also afraid of flying and spent many vacations taking the train.

It took us 2 days and 2 nites to get to WDW!!!

One year we went to DL that was a loooooong train ride from WI!!!

Finally one year my DH talked to my DB who is a pilot and he decided he was just to going to do it and get on the plane!!!

WEll everything was find till we got to the airport he started getting cold feet.

My DB was meeting us at the airport whcih was a good thing cause if my brother hadnt been there I wouldnt have been able to get my DH on the plane.

When my DB met us well actually me my DH had gone to the bathroom my brother went in to find him (I had already warned him of the cold feet!!)

he (brother) came out with his arms out like he want in there!!!

anyway my brother said he looked like a glazed donut!!!

Well my brother just kept talking to him and eventually he got on the plane!!
he was fine once he got in his seat!!!
and now he loves to fly!!!!

WE always laugh cause Bob Newhart on his seris had a fear of flying workshop and its so fuuny cause it hits home so well!!!

Once on a wintery-ice laden trip from Chicago to Grand Rapids, when those around me were losing their heads, the crying woman in the seat next to me said,"Aren't you scared?" I shrugged and said, "I'm sure the crew doesn't fancy a dip in Lake Michigan in this weather either. I trust them to do all they can to get us there in one piece. Besides, getting hysterical doesn't really help, does it?"
Focus on the good stuff, go with the bumps (just like a car ride), and trust the crew. It's all you can do.
:teeth:

Oh my gosh I'm not alone! I also have a huge fear of flying. I used to fly all the time when I was little, but now that I have kids it has all changed. I have the greatest fear that I will get on a plane without my kids and it will crash and they will be left orphans. Then of course I wouldn't want to take them on a plane either and end their lives short. I know I'm speaking irrationally and that we have a greater chance of dying in a car crash a mile from our home, but I can't help myself. At least in a car I have more control and if I see an accident about to happen at least I can turn the steering wheel a little to try to avoid it, but in an airplane your life is totally in someone else's hands and you have no control at all. I need that control. And then after 9/11, my fears even got greater.

The last time I flew was from Las Vegas to Texas (2 years ago) and I had a huge panic attack, I wished I had some Xanax at that time. The landing gear wouldn't go up so we had to fly slower and it took longer and there was a lot of turbulence. I thought we were going to die. So now I will not fly unless I absolutely have to (like attending a funeral and time is of the essence). My husband and I finally decided to buy a motor home :moped: so we could travel to all our destinations and be a little more comfortable in the process. It does guzzle down the gas and it does take forever to get there, but at least I am more at ease. We drove to DisneyWorld a couple of weeks ago and it took about 19 hours. We stopped halfway to rest, but we didn't die, so all is well. :rotfl:

Honeybehr1 said:
My DS is afraid of flying after have severe pain in his ears and couldnt get them to pop. So he associates flying with pain. This trip(which he doesnt know about inorder to decrease his anxiety) he will be taking valium. His Dr. is going to put him on a lose dose this month as a trial run. We want enough to take the edge off but not to totally pass him out.

get him some earplanes for his ears. i hear they do very well. thats what i got cause i have a problem with my ears. you get them at any drug store or i got mine at wally world. :wizard:

WHIT1 said:
fanofstitch,i agree,thats the only way i can bring myself down from attack now is to talk to my self. do you talk out loud or in your quietly? i have to do it loud enough for me to hear and know i mean business. its like talking to a child except its yourself that you are trying to make listen. :rotfl: but who cares what other people think if it works do it. if people stare at you just give them the look! :earseek:

Not to loudly. The person sitting next to me can hear, but everyone else just looks at me like I'm nuts. :crazy: Oh well, if it works for me.

And I have to agree with the other poster. Rational thoughts go right out the window when you have a phobia about something. Like I said, I have done it and will probably do it again, but I just have to have my panic time until the plane lands and I am safe on the ground. :goodvibes

I hate to fly with a passion BUT I hate to be scared of anything more. Being scared of stuff pisses me off. For me it's not the height; it's the loss of control, essentially it's because I'm not flying the plane and I can't see out the front. I bring a good book to read and hard candy to suck on during take off and landing. I just literally suck it up because I would rather fly in the air for 2 or 3 hours then be in a car for 12 + hours. Hold your dh's hand and get your kids just as excited as possbile about the trip which should help you also. If you have a portable DVD player bring that along and watch a movie or your home movies. Whatever you would do to ease your discomfort at home you can do on the plane. I hope you have a nice vacation.

Wow this is all great advice. I honestly do not think I will EVER get over it. I guess I am stuck with the 24 hour drive. I can't even be a passanger in a car without a panic attack. It's that bad. I am afraid of the loss of control and with the airplanes, crashing. I drove all the way from Michigan to Florida and back. DH did do a little in Michigan and Indiana on the way down because of a bad snow storm but I lost it completely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter