• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fear of Flying

Magically Goofy

Earning My Ears
I am flying for the first time this July. I am going to California and nervous. I am 13 and have never flown. Please tell me if its as bad as my brothers tell me lol! :confused3 :confused3 :mickeybar

Flying is fun it will be as fun as you want it to be.You can take a hand held game with you or a book to read. don't let your brother make you think bad things about flying.If you are sleeply you can take a nap or you can watch tv.Take some gum with you and chew it while the plane is taking of have fun! :cloud9: :wave2:

I have been flying since I was 6 years old (and I'm 32 now) and it's GREAT!
It's always been a positive experience for me. I've always looked forward to the flight. Don't let them scare you or give you any new fears about it.
It's really neat to look out the window when you're way up there. The clouds look like puffy cotton balls and looking down at a city is soooooooooo Cool! Everything looks so tiny and small. They usually bring you a snack of some kind and a beverage. I always ask for the whole can of soda, that way it lasts longer. I wouldn't get yourself worked up about it or worried at all. You'll probably Love it and believe me flying is extremely SAFE!
Have a Good trip!

Flying is scary to me, but it's fun. I've also been flying since I was 8. I find that even though I am scared, it's worse to look straight in the cabin. I have to look out the window when we take off. I think it is absolutely amazing that the plane can travel so fast and take off into the air. To get my mind off my fear, I look out the window down at the streets and look at my neighborhood and try to find certain things that I would normally see when I am in the car. You have to try to make a game of it. It will take your mind off your fear. Have fun!

Magically Goofy said:
I am flying for the first time this July. I am going to California and nervous. I am 13 and have never flown. Please tell me if its as bad as my brothers tell me lol! :confused3 :confused3 :mickeybar

Hi Magic,
Flying is a lot of fun! I've flown many times over the years. I loved it so much, I went out and got my pilot's license. To help with your fears, try going on a discovery flight at your local "small" airport. Once you learn how airplanes work, there is less to be scared about.

Have fun!

Rick

Flying for your first time can be scary but think there are millions of people who fly everyday and there is nothing to it. You will be fine trust me. My husband is a pilot and we have flown many times. Read a book or magazine during your take off. It may take your mind off of the trip. If you are flying with someone else then talking to them may help you.

Do you have any questions we can answer?

Flying and looking out the window is just an amazing thing. Just relax and enjoy it. ;) :flower:

I used to be *really* fearful when flying. I did it, but hated every minute of it. Then one time, by wonderful luck, I was seated next to a pilot and he explained everything that was happening, explained every noise, told what to expect next - it made a *huge* difference. The pilot has a great suggestion - when you understand how the planes work it's not scary at all.

debg

I, too, have a fear of flying. But, there is a website, www.fearofflying.com, that has a free, online class you can take. The whole program is written by a pilot. It tells you all the ins and outs of airline physics and safety. It is amazing how safe flying relaly is. It helped me a lot. Have a wonderful trip.

I like to bring my favorite hard candy (lemon drops) to suck on during take off and landing because sometimes your ears kind of get stuffy (like when you have a cold).

Other than that flying can be fun. Try to sit by the window. First you watch the buildings and cars get smaller and smaller. I like to try and find places I recognize, like lakes or stadiums and malls.

When you go through the clouds it can get kind of bumpy, but planes are built to take that with no problem. Then the plane gets above the clouds and it is beautiful.

That's when I bring out the book I brought to read or the game to play.
Shortly after that, I take a nap. I want to save my energy for the new place I am going to visit.

I don't know what your brothers told you, but flying is one of the safest forms of transportation. Sometimes brothers (and sisters) just like to tease. :earboy2:

flying is no big deal at all!! my dad flys almost 1000 hours a year! (hes a pilot) and never had any problems! i also fly at least 10 times a year since i was verrry small...and yes like the others have said, it is alot of fun.

Does anyone know if it still OK for kids to go up to the cockpit and meet the pilot? Or did the 9/11 hijackers ruin that?

If not, maybe that could be something that would set your mind at ease, to actually meet the people who will be flying the plane.

Good luck!

Magically Goofy said:

Well, first of all, consider the source. Brothers sometimes like to tease,just to see you squirm. :rolleyes:

No, flying is not bad. I was afraid to fly for years, but talking to people who are not afraid helped me a lot. They explained how it would feel and what sounds I would hear, so when I was on the plane I knew what to expect. I always take a book or listen to music to keep myself relaxed.

Have you talked to your parents about it? If they have flown, they can give you some tips as well. Hopefully it will be a great experience for you. :umbrella:

Ariel Wanna-be said:
Does anyone know if it still OK for kids to go up to the cockpit and meet the pilot? Or did the 9/11 hijackers ruin that?

If not, maybe that could be something that would set your mind at ease, to actually meet the people who will be flying the plane.

Good luck!

You cannot go to the flight deck during flight. However, you may be able to see it before takeoff. Talk with one of the flight attendents.

Rick

The first time I flew I was probably 8 and absolutely loved it. I remember taking off like it was yesterday, but, then I didn't fly for years and for some reason developed a true fear of it.

I flew from Portland, OR to WDW in 1996 and was so stressed out that it practically ruined my vacation - the flight itself was great, no problems at all, it was just me.

Almost two years ago now I decided to take a new job where I must fly monthly and often times twice a month. The first few times were difficult, now I'm more nervous driving in LA than I am about flying to where ever the plane might take me.

Your brothers are probably just like mine - trying to do anything to get your goat! There are thousands of flights that take off and land safely daily from all over the world!!

You will be fine and the flight will be landing before you know it!

Or one the OP's brothers.

Here's another thought - fly Southwest out of Islip or Philly and with luck you'll get one of their older planes. These have so-called "lounge" seating where they reverse the rows of seats next to the bulkheads. Sit there and you get to fly backwards - my kids love that!

until I met my husband. He loves it so much and gets so excited with the whole process that it's infectious. We always get to the airport a little early to get coffee and a magazine and read the guidebooks for where we're going. Keep the excitement up for your destination-that is the biggest help.

To the original poster-no need to worry. Flying is fun, and I agree with the other posters. Maybe check out that website and learn a little about planes and how they work, and I LOVE the game that one poster suggested about looking out and trying to find places you know...your school, the mall, stadium, etc. They look SO different from up there! And if you're flying into Las Angeles, there's LOTS to see from the air there too when you land! It'll be fun, and if you have a book to read, it'll fill the time between takeoff and landing. And do remember the gum and/or hard candy. It really does help with that funny ear feeling.

Have fun! :cheer2:
-Christal

Thank you all soooo much. That website is really going to help me and my mom when we fly to cali. And evemn if that person was a little "mean" they are still nice bvecause they tried to give advice even if it was a little gross.
Ewwwww.
Thank you all so much!

Love,
DD AOPI57 :love: :cheer2:

My boys, now 7 and 9, have been flying since before their first birthdays. They've now flown at least 20-25 times each, on planes as small as single-engine Cessnas to as big as Boeing 747s, sometimes even as unaccompanied minors (kids flying alone without parents). They once spent 22 hours straight flying/changing planes. They like to listen to music, play GameBoy or read when flying. Just make sure you wear comfy clothes, bring a few light snacks like nuts, granola bars or trailmix, and a good book or something else to do. If you think you might not like the feeling of taking off or landing, ask your parents to give you some Gravol. The Gravol will make you a little drowsy and help you relax. Also, chewing gum will help keep your ears from getting blocked. I find it helps to drink lots of water (at least one glass per hour of flying) and not eat the airline food/snacks. The food is usually not tasty or healthy anyway and if you are a little nervous, eating that bad food will not make you feel better.

Enjoy your flight...there's a big world out there to discover! After your first flight, get yourself a world map to hang in your room and start marking every place you fly to with a sticker or pin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter