• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fear of flying....

chrissyc72

Mouseketeer
Not sure where to post this but we are heading to yacht & beach club in sept to celebrate 20 yr anniversary. I booked flights & rooms & tickets. Also got insurance since it's hurricane season. I am afraid to fly & as it gets closer I am thinking I want to cancel. Only flying from New York so it's not a long flight. How do you all cope with your fear of flying? P.s. I won't take meds since I need to be in control. I've flown before & never had a bad flight, so I'm not sure where the fear comes in.

You actually already answered your question! Most people who are afraid of flying are afraid of the loss of control. You're giving two pilots you've never met control over "driving" the vehicle you're in, 35,000 feet in the air. Statistics about how safe flying is, however true (and they are true), don't seem to do much to counteract that basic truth.

When I was much younger I was afraid to fly. What worked for me was to take back a certain amount of control by telling myself that I chose to get on this airplane instead of staying home or driving. Having chosen to go, I also needed to choose to accept whatever happened on that flight. Kind of Dr. Phil's I chose the action, so I accepted the consequences.

Since flying actually isn't that dangerous, this strategy worked well for me, since the more I flew (instead of avoiding my fear), the more I became accustomed to all the routine little noises and bumps airplanes make all the time. It really is true - pilots and flight attendants wouldn't want to come to work every day if turbulence was actually any big deal. I learned that bumpy air is just like going through ripples in water. Totally normal and something pilots aren't remotely worried about.

I don't take flying lightly - I stick to major carriers and avoid commuter planes - but I fly all the time now and am totally over my old fears. I really feel strongly that facing my fears was much better for me than running from them, and a lot of years later, I've had my share of bumpy flights, but I've never been in real danger. Good luck!

Well, I know you said NO to meds, but I always get a prescription for 4 Xanax (sp?) from my doctor. I take one pill down and one pill back, but have two extra for back-up (like the time I took my first pill but then they delayed our flight by a few hours - had to take another pill!)

Anyway - besides the pill, it helps for me to follow a certain routine about flying. Everyone has their own I'm sure! For me, I buy a People magazine and read every word in every article - LOL! I can't focus enough o read a novel, but all the short little blurbs in People are perfect for me. I'm out of Boston, so it is the same 3 hour ride that you have from NY, and I usually finish the magazine just as we are getting ready to land.

I also watch the flight attendants, and make up stories about what they have planned once they are off work (meaning, they damn well plan to make it home!). Maybe they have to run off to their child's little league game, or they are meeting friends for dinner. I make it a matter-of-fact thing, and that helps me see that this is the same for them as a wait person at a restaurant!

Good luck! Take solice in the fact that there are a lot of folks like you! :)

You actually already answered your question! Most people who are afraid of flying are afraid of the loss of control. You're giving two pilots you've never met control over "driving" the vehicle you're in, 35,000 feet in the air. Statistics about how safe flying is, however true (and they are true), don't seem to do much to counteract that basic truth.

When I was much younger I was afraid to fly. What worked for me was to take back a certain amount of control by telling myself that I chose to get on this airplane instead of staying home or driving. Having chosen to go, I also needed to choose to accept whatever happened on that flight. Kind of Dr. Phil's I chose the action, so I accepted the consequences.

Since flying actually isn't that dangerous, this strategy worked well for me, since the more I flew (instead of avoiding my fear), the more I became accustomed to all the routine little noises and bumps airplanes make all the time. It really is true - pilots and flight attendants wouldn't want to come to work every day if turbulence was actually any big deal. I learned that bumpy air is just like going through ripples in water. Totally normal and something pilots aren't remotely worried about.

I don't take flying lightly - I stick to major carriers and avoid commuter planes - but I fly all the time now and am totally over my old fears. I really feel strongly that facing my fears was much better for me than running from them, and a lot of years later, I've had my share of bumpy flights, but I've never been in real danger. Good luck!

Great advice :goodvibes

Not sure where to post this but we are heading to yacht & beach club in sept to celebrate 20 yr anniversary. I booked flights & rooms & tickets. Also got insurance since it's hurricane season. I am afraid to fly & as it gets closer I am thinking I want to cancel. Only flying from New York so it's not a long flight. How do you all cope with your fear of flying? P.s. I won't take meds since I need to be in control. I've flown before & never had a bad flight, so I'm not sure where the fear comes in.

Think about the millions who fly every day without incident. Cancelling will not overcome your fear, maybe you can talk to someone about it. Your insurance will mostly likely not cover cancelling unless you can get a doctor to signoff on illness.

I used to be a very nervous flyer. Keep in mind the pilots are pros. They are very good at what they do and they want to arrive safely just as badly as you want to. I always knew flying was much safer than driving but oddly enough it didn't really sink in until a trip I was on a few years ago. We arrived at MCO about 2.5 hrs before our return flight home. I sat near our gate and watched planes take off for nearly 2 hrs before we boarded. About every 5 minutes it seemed, another jet roared down the runway and rotated. Of course, not one of them failed to reach their destination safely. I got to thinking about all of the planes around the world at different airports that were just as busy or busier and how all of them had safe flights. I simply said, "This is ridiculous. Why should I be nervous flying? Statistically speaking, it is by far the safest mode of travel." Oh, to be sure, I was nervous on the flight home but something changed on that day and I have flown several times since then and actually look forward to flying now. My logical side is winning out. It has also helped to keep scheduling flights. You just have to keep doing it. Believe me, I didn't like flying at all. Now, I can't wait for our next trip. Good luck. :thumbsup2

Have you ever had a bad memory associated with flying? One of my friends refuses to fly (she's deathly afraid) and the last time she flew was to attend the funeral of a close relative. Sometimes bad associations cause fear of things that are seemingly unrelated. I grew up traveling around the world, but was always very uneasy with flying until I worked for Delta and saw how many thousands of flights take off and land without issue. I don't know about you, but I can't seem to drive to the grocery store without passing at least one fender bender, so I figure I'm safer in the sky than on the road. Just keep reminding yourself about why you're getting on that plane and that planes are the safest form of travel. Find a good distraction and try to relax!

I find a couple cocktails before the flight eases the anxiety. I'm not scared to fly really. I just get a little tense. It doesn't help that they practically treat you like a criminal before you step foot on the plane. It's all the "seriousness" that gets me antsy.

I find a couple cocktails before the flight eases the anxiety. I'm not scared to fly really. I just get a little tense. It doesn't help that they practically treat you like a criminal before you step foot on the plane. It's all the "seriousness" that gets me antsy.

I agree! I'm not afraid of flying because for fear of a crash, I just dread the hassle. You could probably smuggle contraband across a foreign border easier than getting your shampoo on a domestic flight.

Spoisal I sure hope you get to take your trip. I think we both know you'd have a wonderful time:earsboy:

I always make sure to bring a new book and ipod to keep me focused on something else while I'm flying. The electronics have to be put away for take-off and landing but the book can take me away from boarding to disembarking. Several flights under my belt and I still feel my stomach pit out at the thought of being up in the air.

No matter what tactic you use, I hope some of the advice on here is helpful and you're able to make it through.

My husband hates flying (the no control part, plus heights). We flew this past March to WDW (direct flight, because that's was the only way he was going) and what helped him was talking to the flight attendants and letting them know his fear, cranking the music on his iPhone (earbuds in place of course) and a beer during the flight. Surprisingly he did pretty well as nervous as he had been for the 3 months prior to the trip (not to mention moody and grumpy). Good luck! You can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks to all of you! I have never had a bad flight and the flights I have taken have always been excellent and I got off the plane saying, what the hell am I so afraid of? But that fear always creeps back in. I suppose this time is worse since we are going without the children. Told hubby that a will needs to be in place before I set foot on the plane. Granted my kids are 17 & 15 but they still need their parents! I do have my sons huge beats headphones that I will be using and I always sit up with flight attendants and keep a close eye on them. If they are handing out chips and drinks I know we are good! Flying JetBlue and they have been in the news a bit this week so that stinks. Also got a notice that they changed our flight home to a smaller plane! Seats 100 as opposed to 150. Threw me into a frenzy!!!! I know I just need to do it, but its gonna be a long 80 something days till I get there!!!!:scared:

I really don't like flying, but still do it. And actually, because I do, I am quite familiar with all of the noises at different parts of the flight....and used to what the flaps are supposed to do at certain parts. Familiarity makes it easier I think.

I'm a very anxious flyer, I'm a nerve ball from the time I step foot into the airport, and the time I step foot out of the plane. I just do the same thing others suggested of reminding myself that these pilots know what they're doing, and that if it wasn't safe there wouldn't be planes to begin with. There is also something I do that i've done since I was little and was scared of anything (ex; roller coasters!) I look for a child on the plane and think to myself if they can do it, I can do it. Haha, sounds silly but it's worked for me all these years. I also try to bring stuff to occupy my time so that i'm not sitting there bored out of my mind thinking about all the things that could go wrong. I love the flight to Florida because its short, but our normal vacation spot is Las Vegas, and thats almost 5hrs... As time as gone on, i've gotten better and better.

Do I enjoy flying? Nope. But....it's a means to an end. I 'intellectually' understand that it's very hard to bring a perfectly good plane down, out of the sky. But, when I get to really thinking about it, I imagine that I'm on that one plane that the mechanics forgot to tighten a bolt on, or that they forgot to gas up!!! It's stupid, it truly is.
Stop and think about exactly how many people make their living at 30,000 feet!!! They are not suicidal! This is a perfectly safe mode of transportation. However, it seems quite 'unnatural' to a lot of us. Find a good Fear of Flying site online. If you know what to expect, you will be able to relax.
I always told my young dd to watch the flight attendants. If they were just going about their business, then it was a pretty good chance that the plane wasn't going down.
For example....as we sat on the plane a week ago, in Orlando, getting ready to taxi away from gate, a lot of 'smoke' started coming from the air vents. Now it was obviously not 'smoke' but fog. The FAs just went about their work. My dd got a bit nervous and asked why there was smoke in the plane. Told her it probably had something to do with the AC and the humidity outside. Well...about 5 mins later, the FA came over the PA...saying passengers had expressed concerns about what was happening. But not to worry, it was just the difference between the inside cabin and the outside temp/humidity..it would stop shortly.

So, try not to medicate, with drugs or alcohol, bring a magazine (seems to be easier to concentrate on vs a book), bring earbuds and an iPod or just listen to the plane's music, or tv, if it is available.
Try to remember that this is the fastest way to get to your destination! And it's very safe!

I used to hate flying also but now I don't mind it one bit. I think good thoughts. I mostly get anxious at take-off. That is the one thing I don't like. The rest of the flight and landing is nothing to me. I actually love landing lol.

I usually think of the "You can fly" song from Peter Pan! :thumbsup2

2 years ago was the first time I flew in 15 years. I have panic attacks and flying was always the worst thing for me. That trip I took half if a .5 Xanax and was fine. The dose is small so I wasnt sleepy. I was even able to eat and drink on the plane. Anxiety makes me feel like I can't swallow. I did the samething on the way home and was fine. I aready have my pills packed for next week. The worst part of the flight for me was the ear pain. I used earplanes the whole flight and I still had some pain. I also read about flying and looked at pictures of our plane cabin online. Trip reports here usually include the flying day, they really helped me get used to the idea of flying. Good luck, you can do it.

Thanks to all of you! I have never had a bad flight and the flights I have taken have always been excellent and I got off the plane saying, what the hell am I so afraid of? But that fear always creeps back in. I suppose this time is worse since we are going without the children. Told hubby that a will needs to be in place before I set foot on the plane. Granted my kids are 17 & 15 but they still need their parents! I do have my sons huge beats headphones that I will be using and I always sit up with flight attendants and keep a close eye on them. If they are handing out chips and drinks I know we are good! Flying JetBlue and they have been in the news a bit this week so that stinks. Also got a notice that they changed our flight home to a smaller plane! Seats 100 as opposed to 150. Threw me into a frenzy!!!! I know I just need to do it, but its gonna be a long 80 something days till I get there!!!!:scared:

You should have a will in place anyway. There's more chance something will happen going to the grocery store or to work.

I was a flight attendant for 2 years. Keep in mind that both pilots and f/as do pre flight safety checks to make sure everything is in working order and will not leave until everything is. I've had a flight delayed because a seat wouldn't return to its "full, upright, and locked position" so imagine how seriously they take it. And in 2 years, I flew at least 1200 flights and nothing ever remotely dangerous happen. And PP is right...if that's how many I did in only 2 years, think how many my friend who has been there 18 years has done without incident. Most average flying 3-4 legs per day worked. That's a ton of successful flights. Hope you find peace and have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter