FE Question

gopherlawyer

Earning My Ears
We just finished making our first FE, now onto the FE gifts. My DW and I are going back and forth on whether the names of our family and our kids should be on the FE. What is most common? Thanks

We just finished making our first FE, now onto the FE gifts. My DW and I are going back and forth on whether the names of our family and our kids should be on the FE. What is most common? Thanks

I've received FE gifts with and without names. Some had real names on them, some had DISnames, some with room numbers, some not. Whatever seems right to you.

Personally, I don't put our names on them. I think of it as a secret Santa sort of thing, no one know who gave it. I feel that putting names on is like keeping score, who gave the biggest, most, etc sort of thing.

EDIT: I just realized you were talking about the FE itself, not the gifts. We put first names only on the pockets.

:cutie:

I am with you...I have gone back and forth. But I don't think I am comfortable putting the kids names on the FE. I am the one who doesn't put their names on shirts or other things like that though. Also, since I don't know when our next DC will be, I don't know if the same people would be with us. Who knows, we could have another child! So, I want it to grow with us (if I like it when I am done!). So we decided NOT to put our names on it. But, it is a Disney Cruise and it is a ship, so I am sure either way it will be wonderful!

- Colleen

Our FE has our last name on it. A friend made our FE, which is why the first names aren't on it. We do put our first names on door magnets to help them keep from wandering.

I was going to put names on the FE but decided just to put our family titles instead (nana, mommy, big sister, little brother)....seemed like a better idea, I dunno.
Here's my FE just finished.

P12-30-12_02-02_zps0fd09c9d.jpg

In regards to the FE as long as you have a way of identifying what pocket is for whom then it doesn't really matter... The only time it gets confusing is when you have multiple children of the same sex but different age.

As for the gifts... I hate getting gifts without a "from ???? " on it. I like to know who gave us what. It's part of the memory and experience.

Because of people who receive and don't give we only hand out to the rooms we know dropped something off.

violetmonarch said:
I was going to put names on the FE but decided just to put our family titles instead (nana, mommy, big sister, little brother)....seemed like a better idea, I dunno.
Here's my FE just finished.

I think this looks good. As long as the people in your FE know who the people are in your family you should have no problems

I ordered our FE off etsy without the names on it because we are in an unusual situation. My DH just started a new job in July and doesn't get any time off yet so the boys and I are travelling with my parents, all 5 in the same room. It's doubtful that this situation would ever come up again, so it seemed silly to pay $50 for an FE we'd likely never use again due to the names being wrong. I'm going to go to Hobby Lobby and look for patches that are letters and use our first initials and attach them with velcro. Only my son and I have the same letter and it can be differentiated because my pocket will have a Minnie vs. his Mickey.

It hadn't occurred to me to attach our names to the gifts that we give. I guess I'll bring it up to see what our group wants to do. I had always assumed it was a secret.

In regards to the FE as long as you have a way of identifying what pocket is for whom then it doesn't really matter... The only time it gets confusing is when you have multiple children of the same sex but different age.

I never thought about that! Our FE has two pockets. Up until we had children, it had always been just DH and I. We are sailing on the Dream in May 2014 with our boys (2yrs and 15 months). I was just planning on using the same FE that we've had for years. Should I make a new one with four pockets?

Meredisney said:
I never thought about that! Our FE has two pockets. Up until we had children, it had always been just DH and I. We are sailing on the Dream in May 2014 with our boys (2yrs and 15 months). I was just planning on using the same FE that we've had for years. Should I make a new one with four pockets?

I think your kids are still at an age where them sharing a pocket is fine. As they get older I would consider getting a 3 pocket or 4.

We have 3 in our family and we made a 3 pocket. However we usually only travel two at a time because I have a cat who is literally the baby of the family and we won't leave her home alone. We use the same FE every trip.

A lot of people with children will usually do 1 pocket for mom and dad and then one for each child.

SnipsNSnails said:
I ordered our FE off etsy without the names on it because we are in an unusual situation. My DH just started a new job in July and doesn't get any time off yet so the boys and I are travelling with my parents, all 5 in the same room. It's doubtful that this situation would ever come up again, so it seemed silly to pay $50 for an FE we'd likely never use again due to the names being wrong. I'm going to go to Hobby Lobby and look for patches that are letters and use our first initials and attach them with velcro. Only my son and I have the same letter and it can be differentiated because my pocket will have a Minnie vs. his Mickey.

It hadn't occurred to me to attach our names to the gifts that we give. I guess I'll bring it up to see what our group wants to do. I had always assumed it was a secret.

I agree $50 is a lot. I think the Velcro with letters is a good idea.

Not so sure $50 is a lot...Maybe I'm just not a very good fabric shopper...but I just spent @20 on materials for our four pocket FE that I'm making myself...all the work, which will probably take me a couple hours, is worth someone to make $15 an hour...I think. Maybe a more seasoned seamstress could make it quicker...but sewing machines cost as well.
Just my opinion.;)

Not so sure $50 is a lot...Maybe I'm just not a very good fabric shopper...but I just spent @20 on materials for our four pocket FE that I'm making myself...all the work, which will probably take me a couple hours, is worth someone to make $15 an hour...I think. Maybe a more seasoned seamstress could make it quicker...but sewing machines cost as well.
Just my opinion.;)

Our 3 pocket cost less than $15 to make. $50 is a lot of money. An FE should only cost between $25 to $30 (not including shipping) to buy and between $10-$20 to make. Anything more expensive would be because of a higher quality fabric (most fabrics over $10 a yard) and embroidery.

I'm not sure where you got your fabric from but see if they have any coupons. If it is a JoAnn's they will still honor the coupons up to the next day after a purchase (For Example: 40% off a single item or single cut of fabric)

Here is a picture of our FE.

009.jpg

While we do have our last name on the top of the FE I have seen people put other messages instead. For example: Sailing with Mickey!

I completely understand safety and privacy especially with children. I don't see a problem with having your child's first name on the FE (and omitting the family name) but I think the ideas mentioned so far are good substitutes.

We have 5 people, so it's a 5 pocket FE, $52 shipped. I don't sew and looked everywhere for anything with 5 pockets that would work instead and could find nothing. Then I looked at how I could make one without sewing a lot and decided that in the end by the time I bought materials I'd be in at least $25 if not more. At that point I'd rather just have someone else do it and it will turn out a lot better than mine!

We have 5 people, so it's a 5 pocket FE, $52 shipped. I don't sew and looked everywhere for anything with 5 pockets that would work instead and could find nothing. Then I looked at how I could make one without sewing a lot and decided that in the end by the time I bought materials I'd be in at least $25 if not more. At that point I'd rather just have someone else do it and it will turn out a lot better than mine!

LOL ... That is how life works. Like I said before ... It's a good idea your doing the intials with velcro. You need to use that FE until it is worn out :goodvibes

Hollywood Glitter said:
LOL ... That is how life works. Like I said before ... It's a good idea your doing the intials with velcro. You need to use that FE until it is worn out :goodvibes

I made our FE from fabric from the charity shop. It took a couple of hours sewing and cost less than £5. To personalise it I sewed a clear plastic sheet to each fabric pocket so it made a second pocket. I then printed out the cruise details and our names and slipped these in the pockets. They can simply be removed and replaced to update it for a future cruise or a different family members.

I can manage basic sewing with a machine, but I am not a "crafty" person!

Scillycruisers said:
I made our FE from fabric from the charity shop. It took a couple of hours sewing and cost less than £5. To personalise it I sewed a clear plastic sheet to each fabric pocket so it made a second pocket. I then printed out the cruise details and our names and slipped these in the pockets. They can simply be removed and replaced to update it for a future cruise or a different family members.

I can manage basic sewing with a machine, but I am not a "crafty" person!

I think that's how you become a crafty person! A little sewing here and there and eventually your brain starts exploding with crafty ideas. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter