FE disapointment?

i'm so glad that our FE group is all chill. We limited to 10 cabins (and so far have 4 groups!!! could you imagine giving to 40 cabins omg!), and on our spreadsheet it says names, ages, allergies, and favorite characters. You don't have to abide by anything, just suggestion. No scheduled times for delivery, nothing. I love it! That's what the FE is about. Yay!

i'm so glad that our FE group is all chill. We limited to 10 cabins (and so far have 4 groups!!! could you imagine giving to 40 cabins omg!), and on our spreadsheet it says names, ages, allergies, and favorite characters. You don't have to abide by anything, just suggestion. No scheduled times for delivery, nothing. I love it! That's what the FE is about. Yay!

YAY!, indeed. :yay::worship::love:
Have fun. It sounds like you will

We've done 100 cabins on specialty cruises and it's a total blast. I'm kind of sad that it has gone to such small groups.
We had over 100 cabins on one of our FEs. We divided into smaller groups of 15-18 cabins. You could sign up to be all lists, one list, or however many you want.

We've done 100 cabins on specialty cruises and it's a total blast. I'm kind of sad that it has gone to such small groups.

I can't imagine having 100 cabins to give to. Our FE is broken into groups of 14 cabins, but you can sign up for as many groups as you wish. As it is, with just 14 cabins to give to, my FE gifts are taking up an entire carry-on sized roller bag.

This thread reaffirms my decision to forgo the whole FE thing.
This makes me so sad for you... in every crowd, there will be differing opinions because you can never please everyone. But if the idea of the FE ever appealed to you, don't forgo it because of what you read here. If it ever appealed to you, you have a little magic somewhere inside of you and that's what the FE is about: spreading magic (joy, a sense of fun, pixie dust, whatever). Will there be people who don't like what they get? Yes. Will you like everything you get? Probably not, but you've probably been raised to not mention that. :cutie: Don't let the haters get you down! Participate if there's even a shred of wanting to spread the magic!
:tink:

Just come back from our first Disney Cruise on the Magic, and our first ever Fish Extenders. Both Janet and I were overwhelmed with the variety and generosity of everyone in our groups. There were so many different ideas. We loved them all. Although we had about 27 different cabins to visit between us ( some were the same) and we had to deliver them in 2 lots ( we are not as young as some), it was so much fun looking at all the different Fish Extenders themselves, and adding our gifts to the pockets

This makes me so sad for you... in every crowd, there will be differing opinions because you can never please everyone. But if the idea of the FE ever appealed to you, don't forgo it because of what you read here. If it ever appealed to you, you have a little magic somewhere inside of you and that's what the FE is about: spreading magic (joy, a sense of fun, pixie dust, whatever). Will there be people who don't like what they get? Yes. Will you like everything you get? Probably not, but you've probably been raised to not mention that. :cutie: Don't let the haters get you down! Participate if there's even a shred of wanting to spread the magic!
:tink:
Although I don't typically do the FEs anymore....((I do for the group of friends I travel with every September))....I always tell people that they should try things at least once. Form your own opinions. I've done it. I'm good with not doing FEs anymore. But I know that because I did it. It is fun. No doubt. I agree, if there's even a shred of interest or appeal it's worth giving a shot. Even if on a small scale. :)

You are not alone. I, too, feel they have gotten out of control and don't participate during any of our cruises.

MOre power to those who do this... I canT fathom all the extra time, stress, and angst that seems to go along with some of these FEs

Rather than extra 'time, stress and angst" my family has found that during our preparations for participating in our first FE (on our first cruise) have added extra 'happiness, creativity and anticipation'. But I love giving gifts, so it's a treat to come up with something appropriate for so many ages of children and their parents.

Rather than extra 'time, stress and angst" my family has found that during our preparations for participating in our first FE (on our first cruise) have added extra 'happiness, creativity and anticipation'. But I love giving gifts, so it's a treat to come up with something appropriate for so many ages of children and their parents.

Agreed... For us it's a way to extend out the vacation. We don't spend much, and I have more fun giving than getting.

I tried my best to abide by character preferences but once people started dropping out, I was getting left with certain character gifts so I just did what I could from there. Our gifts aren't grand but they certainly aren't lackluster either.

Just so you understand, I am NEVER giving gifts to adults on the FE and I DON'T WANT THEM EITHER! I see it is your way or the highway, but that seems counterintuitive to the spirit and theme of the FE and the concept of pixie dust. Who says you can't participate on your own level of involvement so long as it is quid pro quo? Next you will be in charge of deciding on a minimum spending amount, I presume?
:scared1:

Just to say that surely excluding adults is actually also counterintuitive to the spirit and theme of FEs? If someone willingly signs up knowing they are likely to get trinkets and gifts aimed at children then that's their decision. It doesn't mean you should then decide to just exclude them as this too is against the spirit of FEs. However as long as you make it clear that you don't expect gifts back (ie its noted on the list that everyone has) then so be it. The trouble is that usually this type of info is not which means that people make the effort to gift and the person doesn't bother back. As long as expectations are expressed to those gifting then I don't see this as an issue but I do personally think that the idea of the FE system is to spread pixie dust to those that want to be part of it and if this is adults too then so be it.

correct..."pixie dust to those who want to be part of it". All I am asking (and I can't believe I'm still talking about this after all this time) is that people don't waste their money on me, giving me stuff which, in all likelihood, will end up in the trash sooner or later. I just don't need, or have a place for, all the stuff I see being gifted to adults...some of it is AMAZING, to be sure, but I just don't need it. Thank you very much for your efforts but my grandchildren would much rather get a $1 coloring book than I would want a key ring....even IF it has castaway Cay on it.

I seem to have hit some nerve here with not wanting to participate. Surely I can be a DCL/WDW/ all thing Disney fan without having to be a secret Santa. I am not trying to agitate, just trying to be lucid and illuminate my thought process. All of you may give , not give, participate or not, go to sail away party or stay in your cabin. Its yours to decide. I have never claimed or implied otherwise. Honest to gosh......

correct..."pixie dust to those who want to be part of it". All I am asking (and I can't believe I'm still talking about this after all this time) is that people don't waste their money on me, giving me stuff which, in all likelihood, will end up in the trash sooner or later. I just don't need, or have a place for, all the stuff I see being gifted to adults...some of it is AMAZING, to be sure, but I just don't need it. Thank you very much for your efforts but my grandchildren would much rather get a $1 coloring book than I would want a key ring....even IF it has castaway Cay on it.

I seem to have hit some nerve here with not wanting to participate. Surely I can be a DCL/WDW/ all thing Disney fan without having to be a secret Santa. I am not trying to agitate, just trying to be lucid and illuminate my thought process. All of you may give , not give, participate or not, go to sail away party or stay in your cabin. Its yours to decide. I have never claimed or implied otherwise. Honest to gosh......

As said I think that as long as you make it clear then its not a problem. I think that people assumed you hadn't (me included when I first read it and I will admit that I hadn't finished reading all the replies when I replied)! If everyone is on the same page then that doesn't matter but I do think that everyone is different and just because you don't see value in a trinket doesn't mean others do. As said I'm happy with kids gifts as if they are useless as you put it to me I will regift them to relatives or friends kids. I have never found any FE gift I haven't liked so far (but that doesn't mean I wont eventually) and as I live in the UK American candies are a novelty to me so the more the better.

We did it on our first cruise and my daughter was so excited every time we came back to the room to see what came. She loved it all! If you can sign up with no expectations the you'll just enjoy what comes! We enjoyed seeing gifts from other countries and enjoyed getting candies too.

I've seen so many neat ideas on these threads, and was just looking on pinterest as well. Just had to share, I saw a pack of orange tic tacs labelled, "Olaf noses." I know it's such a small, simple thing, but this would have my kids ROTFL! If I did something like that it'd definitely be in addition to something else, but little things like that are what make FEs special, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter