• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite USF/IOA Attractions

Theodore Hawkwood

Earning My Ears
Having grown up in Florida I've been to Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure numerous times and have my share of favorites. Just out of curiousity what are people's favorite IOA Attractions?

Here are my favorites and why.

1) Poseidon's Fury: Having first visited this attraction in 2000 I count this as one of my favorite IOA attractions. However with the new storyline with the Darth Maul wannabe called Darkenon I can't help but imagine that this particular ride has gone downhill. I do like the special effects and the mythology angle (of the original attraction) and the aesthetics are quite lovely.

2) The Forbidden Journey: As a total Harry Potter newb I hadn't the faintest idea how I would like the Wizarding World of Harry Potter pavilion. I must say I was completely blown away by the attraction and I loved the storyline. It prompted me to purchase all seven books (and read them) as well as the first six movies and I await part one of Deathly Hallows on DVD/BluRay.

3) The Funtastic World of Hanna Barbera: A classic USF Attraction that I'm sad has closed. I enjoyed the idea of travelling through the different worlds of favorite cartoons and it helped inspire my imagination as a fanfiction writer in later years.

4) Back to the Future: I liked the movies and the storyline behind this ride was quite nice. The experience was fun too.

5) Revenge of the Mummy: Always was a fan of the movies and the ride was fun as well. I'm probably gonna try out the one in California shortly.

My favorites are:

1) Dueling Dragons - My preference was Fire due to the fly-over coming out of the first loop. The old queue was outstanding!

2) Hulk - the launch is pretty cool.

3) Spiderman - it's just a lot of fun!

4) ROTM - love the queue theming and even though it's a short ride, it's still fun!

5) JPRA - great final drop and it's great in the summer months. I think it could use a bit of updating.

I am not really a huge lover of USF. For me, only ROTM and MIB are worth riding.

I did The Simpsons last summer and with no single rider or express queue, I waited for over an hour as they ran with half capacity simulators. After experiencing the likes of Spiderman and Forbidden Journey, the Simpsons ride was pretty bland IMO. However, for fans of the franchise, I imagine it must be an amazing experience.

At USF, I actually adored Revenge of the Mummy. I would even rank it ahead of Spiderman as the 2nd best ride as the resort in terms of enjoyment (guess which is #1?). As has been stated already, the queue area is amazing, and the loading station is intricately themed too. The ride is too short, but I guess that's what makes it so nice to re-ride!

At IOA, well where do I begin? It is my favourite theme park in the world, and whereas it is not as detailed as somewhere like Tokyo DisneySea, it still has a better collection of rides - probably the best collection of rides anywhere in the world actually.

Water rides? Well 3 of the best 4 water rides in Florida are at IOA (yes, Splash Mountain is very, very special too). Dark rides? Well Spiderman, although it could do with updating now, is simply majestic, and the newest attraction in terms of dark rides is Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, which is undoubtedly the best ride in the world. I have never heard of anybody who was disappointed with the ride. Yeah, maybe disappointed with the long waits, the strict size requirements, the numerous breakdowns, the lack of an express queue, and the motion sickness, but interms of enjoyment of the ride, surely nobody has a negative word.

It is obvious that Forbidden Journey utilises both the best franchise and the best dark ride technology (inside the best show building) to maximum effect, and that would be my choice for the finest ride at IOA, and at UO in general.

In fact, across the globe, only a few rides can hold a candle to FJ: Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland, Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios, and of course Spiderman at IOA.

Dark rides? Well Spiderman, although it could do with updating now, is simply majestic, and the newest attraction in terms of dark rides is Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, which is undoubtedly the best ride in the world. I have never heard of anybody who was disappointed with the ride. Yeah, maybe disappointed with the long waits, the strict size requirements, the numerous breakdowns, the lack of an express queue, and the motion sickness, but interms of enjoyment of the ride, surely nobody has a negative word.

Having waited nearly 2+ hours during the Christmas Holidays to ride Forbidden Journey I must say it was the most enjoyable experience well worth the wait. It actually launched my interest in the Harry Potter series to where I've now seen six of the movies (up to Half Blood Prince) and read up to halfway through Prisoner of Azkaban.

I did The Simpsons last summer and with no single rider or express queue, I waited for over an hour as they ran with half capacity simulators. After experiencing the likes of Spiderman and Forbidden Journey, the Simpsons ride was pretty bland IMO. However, for fans of the franchise, I imagine it must be an amazing experience.

I'll agree with you there. I honestly wasn't too impressed with this particular ride. But then again it had big shoes to fill with Back to the Future, which was a favorite of mine.

JPRA - great final drop and it's great in the summer months. I think it could use a bit of updating.

I totally skipped this ride during my Christmas visit for winter reasons and to check out the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I do find it interesting how so many of the various rides and parks have inspired my imagination for fanfiction writing - especially because I like to write crossover type fanfics.

If you count the entire WWoHP as an attraction, then that right there is #1 on my list. Honestly, I can and have spent an entire park day in just that section (with very low crowds) and never got bored or restless. For this Potter nerd, it is the true definition of the Most Magical Place on Earth.:thumbsup2

As for other faves in IOA, well there will always be SpiderMan. That ride blew my mind the first time many, many years ago and it still continues to do so to this day.

As for the Studios, I could spend hours riding the Mummy if they let me. Sure, it's not the most thrilling coaster out there, but it's just plain fun.

I agree with you about PF, although it was never one of my favorites, I did like it, and the first version (I guess it was the first) First time I went, I thought was by far the best version, not sure why they changed it and ruined it IMO.

Favorites are, not necessarily in this order:

1) Jurassic Park River Adventure
2) Spiderman
3) FJ (Haven't been on this yet, but I know it will be on this list. :lmao:)

1) Mummy
2) Jaws
3) MIB
4) ET
5) Terminator

3) FJ (Haven't been on this yet, but I know it will be on this list.

Forbidden Journey is definitely a must see when going to IOA.

I agree with you about PF, although it was never one of my favorites, I did like it, and the first version (I guess it was the first) First time I went, I thought was by far the best version, not sure why they changed it and ruined it IMO.

Poseidon's Fury was far better in the version it had back in 2000. The mythology reader in me found resonance with the Zeus and Poseidon conflict the attraction portrayed compared with the same conflict the two brothers shared throughout mythology. The new plot-line is interesting but nowhere near as good as the original in my view.

Jaws and Terminator for USF are both on my list, having enjoyed both attractions. I wonder if some elements from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles or Terminator 3 could ever be used in the Terminator attraction. It would be a wonderful upgrade.

Fave IOA Attractions:
-Forbidden Journey
-Hulk
-Ripsaw Falls

Fave USF Attractions
-BTTF (The Simpsons is great, but BTTF = :love: )
-Rockit :cool2:
-MIB
-ROTM

1. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey---Easily the most incredible thing I have ever rode! The theming and everything about it is unbelievable

2. Terminator 2: 3-D---The best show there! I'm a Terminator fan so I am a bit biased, but for an attraction built in 1996, it has aged amazingly! (It apparently is going to be shutting down in the next few years to open up Avatar 4-D, which Cameron is once again going to work on)

3. Spiderman

4. Revenge of the Mummy

5. Jaws

2. Terminator 2: 3-D---The best show there! I'm a Terminator fan so I am a bit biased, but for an attraction built in 1996, it has aged amazingly! (It apparently is going to be shutting down in the next few years to open up Avatar 4-D, which Cameron is once again going to work on

There I'll agree with you. That is sad that this attraction is going bye-bye, it would be cool if they revamped it to include elements from either T3 or the Sarah Connor Chronicles - so says the Terminator fan in me.

This is my Top 5 US/IOA Attractions. Now I haven't been there since 2009 (I'm still trying to swallow the ticket prices. Back then, I paid $89 for a 3-month pass! $130 for 3 days? Ugh! But I'm going this year.)

1. ROTM. This is my favorite ride at any theme park anywhere I've been. I love the queue. I love the story-line. And the coldest thing you can say to someone is said in the ride "Your end shall be my beginning!" :rotfl2:

2. Simpsons. Classic Simpsons. I like the fact that if you look hard enough, you will find something new and funny in the queue. And I really like the fact that they show clips of classic Simpsons shows and that it doesn't matter where you're from- you find yourself laughing along with everyone else.

3. Hulk- classic coaster. And it's a little longer than what you would expect. The beginning feels like being shot from a cannon.

4. Ripsaw Falls- Personally, I can't stand Splash Mountain. When I first saw it, my racism-alert rose up (I'm African-American.) I had to tamp down the anger by saying that this ride represents a place in time. And I got through it (I love WDW and will be going back this September.)

But then, we did the big drop. And I barely got wet. Meh.

Ripsaw Falls? You get wet! Really wet! You can't help it! And I love the story! Plus, I don't have to have that conversation with my sons when the ride's finished.

5. Terminator 3-D. Personally, it's so 80s that it makes it fun. It's nostalgic and can still be scary for newcomers.

Thanks for the great info! For a sit down meal which is the best: Finnegans, Lombard's or Mythos? And is it true that Mythos is ONLY open from 11am to 3pm? Thanks!

Thanks for the great info! For a sit down meal which is the best: Finnegans, Lombard's or Mythos? And is it true that Mythos is ONLY open from 11am to 3pm? Thanks!
Mythos is the best of the three but yes...they are only open for lunch.

My favorite table service at the Studios is Finnegan's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter