Favorite towable car

pocomom

Brr.....
We are looking at getting a new car and want to get something towable for our RV.
I frequently drive the RV with kids and dogs by myself so my husband wants something new or very gently used.
Recommendations ? What have you loved?

We are looking at getting a new car and want to get something towable for our RV.
I frequently drive the RV with kids and dogs by myself so my husband wants something new or very gently used.
Recommendations ? What have you loved?
Our last two tow vehicles have been Jeep Grand Cherokees
They are easy to tow and easy to hook up. They tow on all four
Our current jeep we bought new in 2004 & have towed it over 50,000 miles

I've equipped many vehicles to be towed behind RVs. The best advice I can give you on this is no matter what vehicle you choose, take it to the dealer to have the kit put on it.

It might cost a little more, but it will guarantee the right parts are used and not some 1 size fits all kit is used. This is very important because the wrong kit can and will cause your transmission and/or transfer case to burn up.

We chose a Honda CRV because it is advertised as "towable". We are a die hard Toyota family but none of their "towables" met our needs. There are directions in the CRV's owner's manual on towing behind another vehicle. We neded no "kit" installed as stated above, other than the tow harness. In fact, our dealer refused to modify it at all. We requested a fuse kill switch to be installed. If you tow long distances, for long periods, you need to remove the fuse for the radio - a next to impossible task that requires near acrobatic skill, while lying on your back, under the steering wheel! If you do not do so, you may find yourself with a dead battery; it happened to us.
Otherwise, it's a great tow vehicle and we are more than happy with it as our primary vehicle.
The ease of hook up and unhooking depends upon your towing system, not the vehicle itself. We chose Blue Ox for a number of reasons, one of those being the ease of hooking and unhooking - 3 or 4 minutes max.
Another consideration is a brake assist system for the toad. Their use is controversial and probably another whole thread topic. Although they are mandated by laws in many states, many RV users have discontinued their use, or never installed them at all.
Be aware that some new car warranties are voided if you use the vehicle as a toad and it is not condoned by the manufacturer,

Great link. The comment about the Toyota FJ and Land Cruiser is interesting in light of the fact that our Toyota dealer told us that Toyota does not support towing any of their SUVs; we traded in our Rav4 for the CRV.
Those shopping for a vehicle to tow should also check the owner's manual for the specific model (we have heard of car salesman that will make assurances that the vehicle is compatible, when in fact it is not so).

Great link. The comment about the Toyota FJ and Land Cruiser is interesting in light of the fact that our Toyota dealer told us that Toyota does not support towing any of their SUVs; we traded in our Rav4 for the CRV.
Those shopping for a vehicle to tow should also check the owner's manual for the specific model (we have heard of car salesman that will make assurances that the vehicle is compatible, when in fact it is not so).

Yes!

Salespeople will tell you anything to get you to buy the car, then leave it on the back of us poor mechanics to "make it happen". This is the reason I've installed so many towing kits.

We just bought a new jeep Cherokee last year and love it. We got the blue ox tow bar. Before that we had a Honda civic which we towed on a tow dolly and that was a huge PITA! Flat towing is definitely the way to go.

We just hook up our tow bar and have to hit a few buttons inside to transfer it to tow mode. We don't have to take out any fuses or get under the hood or anything. We've towed long distances and never had a problem with the battery.

Only word of caution with jeep is to make sure you buy the right kind. My mom bought a jeep Cherokee and told the sales guy specifically that they were towing it and he sold her the wrong kind that isn't towable. Fortunately they exchanged it since it was the sales guys mistake. It has to have active drive II or something like that as part of the engine when you buy it. Don't trust the sales guy, when you pick out the car you want get the manual out of the glove compartment and read that specific vehicles manual to see what it says on towing.

Thanks all for the info! I'm doing all the research now. :magnify:I have a 14 year old who is looking over all my choices as she hopes to get to drive it someday!:car:

We have a Suzuki XL-7 that tows like a dream with a blue ox tow bar. DH loves it - unfortunately it isn't available in the USA anymore, but it has been a very good SUV - not 'one' problem since we brought it home (my vehicle). Was purchased with the towing in mind (4 whl. dr), and it is now 11 1/2 years old and still in perfect condition.

We previously used a 2001 CRV and are now using a 2011 CRV. Both were excellent toads. Unfortunately, since Honda changed to the CVT transmission the newer CRVs are no longer towable. You basically have two ways to go, either a fully towable car which in most cases would be an SUV, or a front wheel drive sedan to tow on a dolly. Sedans are generally cheaper than SUVs, it just depends on what your family's needs are. I totally disagree about brakes being optional. A 4000 pound car significantly increases your stopping distance and you could be found negligent in an accident. Also, do not rely on a car dealer to tell you if a car is towable. They generally have no idea and often rely on outdated information.

We tow a 2015 Ford Explorer. We love it for every day use and camping! Enough room for five of us plus gear. We put two bike racks on it so we can bring all of our bikes with us. One rack on the roof and the other off the back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter