• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite things to do in TopSail/Wilmington NC

Jake&IzzyLand

Mouseketeer
Hey all, what are your favorite things to do, see and eat here? Kid friendly activities? Yummy seafood? By any chance does anyone have a local photographer for family beach photos that is reasonable? Thanks!

How old are your kids, and when are you coming?

Things to do:

Beach (of course)
Battleship
Children's Museum
Cape Fear Museum
Jungle Rapids (mini golf, climbing wall, water park)
Shopping at Mayfaire or Lumina Station
Picking strawberries at Lewis Farms
Depending how long you are here - day trips to Myrtle Beach for Wonder Works and mini golf

Places to Eat:

Tower 7, K38, Las Olas (Mexican, all the same owners)
Bento Box or Nikki's (sushi)
Osteria Ciccheti (Italian)
Bridge Tender or South Beach (seafood)
Oceanic (best view, but I think the food is better at Bridge Tender or South Beach)
Nye's ice cream sandwiches (at Robert's Market) or Boombalatti's (homemade ice cream) or Kilwin's (homemade ice cream, but downtown on the river - nice stop if you go to the Battleship)
Port City Chop House or Portland Grille (steak)
Britt's doughnuts - Carolina Beach

This is all Wilmington. Topsail has a great beach, but I can't really help with restaurants.

Thanks, StitchandPooh'sMoms!

A trip to the Battleship and ice cream would be right up our alley. I'm going to look that up right now!

Boombalatti's for sure.

Sweet and Savory - yummy breakfasts!

Johnny Mercer's Pier.

Sunrise walk on Wrightsville Beach.

We rented a house on North Topsail Beach a couple of years ago and loved it. Our favorites were:

-Battleship NC in Wilmington

-Cape Fear Museum

-Missiles and More Museum on North Topsail Beach. (This is small, but has REALLY interesting stuff about the history of the island. They also have a small sand area outside that kids can sift through for shark teeth. Our kids and their cousins loved it.)

-Fort Macon - if you don't mind a day trip.

We will be there for Easter and the week after.

Perfect! Strawberries will be ready for picking! Look up Lewis Farms in Wilmington. We took an Easter week trip to Wrightsville Beach a few years ago in April and we picked strawberries. We kept them in the hotel fridge and ate on them....came home and they were still completely fresh and I made strawberry pies! It is a nice place and they have homemade ice cream there too!

Perfect! Strawberries will be ready for picking!

Hopefully. While they are usually picking by late April, we have had a terrible winter (for us). They usually open for the season a few weeks before the strawberries are ready for picking and sell bedding plants and the greenhouse-grown strawberries. They are not open yet, but the strawberry plants are in the ground and are growing.

I will try to remember to post back here once I see an opening date.

StitchandPoohsMom,

Do you know of any photographers in your area that will take family beach photos? For instance on my FB page, threre are always likes and shares or people posting work of local photographers who do outdoor family sessions that are pretty cheap. I've looked online, but I can only find wedding/professional photographers that cost a ton. Thanks!

StitchandPoohsMom,

Do you know of any photographers in your area that will take family beach photos? For instance on my FB page, threre are always likes and shares or people posting work of local photographers who do outdoor family sessions that are pretty cheap. I've looked online, but I can only find wedding/professional photographers that cost a ton. Thanks!

Sending you a PM. :goodvibes

Just wanted to update - Lewis Farms is open for ice cream and their already-picked strawberries. U pick opens April 20 (at this point - the date has been pushed back due to weather and may change again).

Enjoy your trip!

I'll be watching this thread. DH has a conference in Wilmington at a hotel along the riverwalk. We're going to spend a long weekend in Wrightsville before the conference. Considering Blockade Runner - any opinions? Since we won't be staying for a week on the beach, it's been nearly impossible to find a condo just for the long weekend. Keep the suggestions coming! Our beach trips are usually to Cherry Grove or Isle of Palms, so this is a new area for us.

Thanks!

Downtown wilmington and the river walk have many restaurants.
The ghost walks of downtown are fun.
There are also a few historic houses that are museums if you are into that.
Airlie Gardens is nice, but the New Hanover County Arboretum is free and it is as nice only smaller.
Fort Fisher & the aquarium there are nice too.
As far as restaurants go another vote for sweet n savory.
Nikkis is good for sushi, not a big fan of the bento box
Our crepes and more is great fro breakfast.

Topsail there is a turtle hospital and the missile museum.
Restaurants
The bistro at just baked is great but make sure you make reservations
The NY corner deli is delicious (try the turkey club)
Thai grille is good too.

Oh yeah and do not go to nikkis in surf city (yes it is the same owners but there is a huge difference)

George's on the waterfront
Fort Fisher
Drive down the Southport if you are a Sparks fan.

Another vote for the Cape Fear Museum, walking down by the river walk, Wrightsville Beach, Kilwin's, and Sweet & Savory!

Other suggestions: Indochine for Thai, Bdobo for a cheap Mongolian meal, Copper Penny for lunch/dinner, or Chops for quick sandwiches.

For photography, look at Kristen Huntley.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter