Favorite restaurant that ISN'T on the DDP?

tink2020

Suddenly Tagless!
We always use the dining plan. We love it, it works wonderfully for our family, and this is not a thread about that :)

For the first handful of days on our upcoming trip though, we might not be due to a variety of factors.

For the sake of argument, assuming we aren't on the DDP at that point, we would love to take advantage of that rare situation and try TS restaurants that we might not otherwise be able.

If something is on the DDP (and/or has been since 2005) then we've likely either tried it, plan on trying it, or have no interest in trying it.

So what is your favorite TS restaurant that can only be visited when paying out of pocket? Excluding Victoria & Albert's, because we'll have twin 2-year-olds in tow...

Fulton's Crab House at Downtown Disney. This is one of my MOST favorite places ever. The food and the ambiance are fabulous. It's alot of fun if you can sit outside too. :thumbsup2 I wish it were on the dining plan though.....

Fulton's Crab House at Downtown Disney. This is one of my MOST favorite places ever. The food and the ambiance are fabulous. It's alot of fun if you can sit outside too. :thumbsup2 I wish it were on the dining plan though.....

I agree with everything you said...our absolute favorite that is not on the dining plan.

Trex, love the atmoshphere and the lobster ravioli.

Fultons, nice dining experience, delish seafood.

Would like to try Blue Zoo sometime and Il Mulinos.

With two year old twins you do not want to do any restaurant in the parks or owned Resorts that is not DDP as they are all "fine dining" and the meal will take a long time.

The ones I like are not really appropriate for 2 year olds:

bluezoo, Bistro, Il Mulino

Victoria and Albery of course!

Fultons also one of my favorites that isn't on the dining plan.

Lisa

With two year old twins you do not want to do any restaurant in the parks or owned Resorts that is not DDP as they are all "fine dining" and the meal will take a long time.

While I wouldn't take a pair of two year olds to Bistro, Shula's, Il Mulino or Bluezoo, you can try the Dolphin Fountain, Picabu Buffeteria, Garden Grove (character buffets available), House of Blues (early), Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex (if the critters won't scare the kids). Not so sure about the child-friendliness of Fultons as I have never been there but it looks like a place you could try. (None of these places are in a theme park or Disney resort - they are all at the Swan/Dolphin or DTD, except for the Rainforest Cafe that is located just outside the park gates at AK).

My kids loved T-Rex and Rainforest for our DTD days. My teen chose Plant Hollywood this time though. We'll see about that one..LOL.

Il Mulino would be our pick but I agree that it may not work with two year olds. Haven't been to T-Rex but enjoy Rainforest Cafe (although we are always freezing in there so bring sweaters!)

I love The Rainforest Cafe. It has a turkey club w/ chips & a big chicken salad that I'd drive 4 hrs to Niagara falls just to get. LOL!! [they have 1 there 2 =] TRex was fun but I don't recall the food. I got a martini they served w/ cotton candy in the glass. It was fun & my husband & I loved the dinos lol!!! But ESPN club has awesome food even though I'm not into sports. If it was me, I'd pick Rainforest or TRex for kids. [unless dinos scare them] They r just both super themed out fun places.

Thanks so much! The girls actually tend to be very well-behaved even during lengthy meals (we've always brought them along), but of course if something is actually inappropriate (dress code, atmosphere etc) we wouldn't take them!

I really appreciate the suggestions! Some we had considered (Rainforest Cafe & T-Rex, other DTD restaurants, but many (especially in neighboring hotels) weren't even on my radar! :goodvibes

We love Portebello in Downtown Disney. They are on the Premium and Platinum packages, but not the regualr dining plan. :thumbsup2

Please note that Shula's, House of Blues, and Rainforest Cafe are chain restaurants. I'm not saying that's bad, but if you ever go other places for vacation, you can probably find one of these and might want to consider going somewhere more unique, like bluezoo or T-Rex Cafe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter