• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite North Carolina Beach

I'm in NC as well. Outer banks is obviously awesome. But it is very quiet and there isn't much to do. Oak Island is quiet and has a nice family feel. There is nothing there to appeal to young people but you can drive into Wilmington for more options at night.

Carolina Beach is okay. Those of us in NC call it the "redneck riviera." I hope I'm not offending anyone but I've lived here my whole life and when we visited Carolina Beach my husband asked me several times to translate the thick southern accents we were hearing. :rolleyes1

That is funny. I haven't been to Carolina Beach in many years. I live in PA now. The last time I went, Carolina Beach seemed a bit run down. However, they still had Britt doughnuts, which are wonderful. If we go to the beach, we usually choose Outer Banks. Duck Doughnuts are good too.

OP, I forgot about Emerald Isle. We used to go there some when I was a kid too. That beach is very pretty.

Another vote for the Outer Banks! We go every year and like Corolla and Duck best. Memorial Day and Labor Day aren't considered peak season and beach house rentals are much cheaper than during the summer. Rent a huge house and invite a couple of other families. Oh, and make sure you make a run for Duck Donuts at least one morning. ;)

Duck Donuts just opened a shop in Richmond, VA. Can't wait to take my kids.

My favorite is Atlantic Beach. It is quiet and very family friendly. It isn't touristy but there is plenty to do.

There is a nice aquarium and it's reasonably priced. Ft Macon isn't foo far away if you have any history buffs.

Across the bridge is Beaufort, a quaint waterfront town with restaurants and shops.

Oh and the beach itself is wonderful too :)

Terri
:beach:

My favorite is Atlantic Beach. It is quiet and very family friendly. It isn't touristy but there is plenty to do.

There is a nice aquarium and it's reasonably priced. Ft Macon isn't foo far away if you have any history buffs.

Across the bridge is Beaufort, a quaint waterfront town with restaurants and shops.

Oh and the beach itself is wonderful too :)

Terri
:beach:
I live in EI now but grew up in Atlantic Beach, my parents had a hotel there! Wonderful place to grow up its about 20-25 min from Atlantic Beach to the end of the island at Emerald Ilse

Last edited:
Another vote for Holden Beach. It is farther down from Outer Banks. Water is calm and warm. Beautiful beach. Not far from Myrtle. And less crowded than OBX. We go every summer (live in NJ). Many people in our town vacation in the OBX but it has become so popular that we like to go somewhere less "known".

I vote for topsail island, so beautiful and relaxing. Wilmington is not too far as are other beaches. If you want peace and quiet and lots of family time, you can't go wrong.

I second Topsail Beach - it's not crowded, but plenty of things to do in the area. We've been going there for over 10 years.

We've gone with the huge extended family to Wrightsville Beach many times over the past 30 years -- it's great! We rent two houses way down at the quiet end of the beach, always the week of July 4, and it is never, ever crowded.

We live on Topsail Island, which is clearly our favorite. It's very low crowds, and is mostly a private beach. It also has great access to amenities such as Surf City and Wilmington being relatively close.

Aside from that, Ocean Isle, Holden Beach and Bald Head Island (all part of the Brunswick Islands) are beautiful and definitely worth a visit.

Topsail Island/North Topsail
Sunset Beach
Atlantic Beach/Pine Knoll Shores
Bald Head Island
Oak Island

Another vote for Atlantic Beach...we spent four days there and I wished we had more time! I love walking around Beaufort, and taking a boat over to Cape Lookout

I've been going to OBX since I was pre middle school.....and I'm pushing mid life crisis now. OBX can truly be split into 4 separate areas and they have their own styles and experiences and pick based on your own preferences. Lets start north and go south.....

(Disclaimer.....this is not to insult anyone or their preferences....just my observations and experiences over the years)

Northern OBX (Duck, Corolla, 4x4 territory) - this area tends to be more upscale.....and more posh than the other areas. It's why my wife and chose to get married here (beach wedding). We almost got married at the Corolla lighthouse, but we wanted the sound of Ocean with us. It can be pricier than other area's, but the restaurants are fantastic. Traffic is awful on the weekends....barely tolerable during the week. Water temp can be lower than the rest of the OBX

Mid Area (Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head) - This is the heart of the OBX and where most of the activities are. Restaurants/Rentals/stores galore. Beach is great, surfing/fishing is good. Most of the hustle bustle is here. You will find many of the conveniences of home in this area. Movies, chain restaurants, etc.

Hatteras Island (Waves, Rodanthe, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, Frisco Hatteras) - This part is truly my favorite. It's more secluded, less like other beach areas on the northeast. Less people, less to do.....More for the true beach lover. We pretty much sit on the beach all day and not much else. Get some fishing in, maybe take the canoe out on the sound. Avon seems to be the biggest town of them all, and the farther south you go, the smaller it gets.

Ocracoke island - This is for the Hardcore. I've done many day visits on the ferry.....and someday we'll rent down there, but it's about as secluded as you can get as far as getting there, but the harbor is lovely and I've eaten at a few good places.

As far as other NC Beaches I HIGHLY recommend Emerald Isle. It was very much like the OBX....almost a cross between the Hatteras Island and the Nags Head area. Only been there once many years ago, and dying to go back.

Never been to Holden Beach but I've heard it's very nice and compared to the OBX it's very affordable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter