Favorite North Carolina Beach

Angie1437

Earning My Ears
I'm looking to plan a trip to North Carolina, but I'm clueless. What are your favorite beach/town that is family friendly, not too busy/touristy and clean. Thanks

we love Oak Island (45 minutes or so south of Wilmington) small town feel, and beautiful beach!

Our family loves Carolina Beach. Once we do our grocery store run, we park the car and never move it again until it is time to go home from our beach week. Everything we want is walkable.

A vote for outer banks, our other favorite vacation spot. The further south you go ex: hatteras, Avon, frisco the warmer the water. Quite beach vacation with beautiful houses to rent!

Just curious what you mean by cold. My kids will go into the ocean when it's 60 degrees - here in NJ, 70 is hot. That's one thing we really enjoyed in the Outer Banks - warmer water!
Duck seems to have an issue with upwelling. Low 60s isn't uncommon in July and it can change dramatically over a few days. Not all of the Outer Banks has this issue.

I grew up going to Ocean City, NJ. The water there was never in the low 60s in July.

Disclaimer: I'm a wimp and prefer the Gulf of Mexico (preferably in August) to the Atlantic.

Last edited:
I agree with the Outer Banks. Carolina Beach is also nice. I'm from NC. We lived about 2 hours from Carolina Beach. That was where we always went for day trips or weekends. I think there is more to do in the Outer Banks.

I'm in NC as well. Outer banks is obviously awesome. But it is very quiet and there isn't much to do. Oak Island is quiet and has a nice family feel. There is nothing there to appeal to young people but you can drive into Wilmington for more options at night.

Carolina Beach is okay. Those of us in NC call it the "redneck riviera." I hope I'm not offending anyone but I've lived here my whole life and when we visited Carolina Beach my husband asked me several times to translate the thick southern accents we were hearing. :rolleyes1

I can highly recommend both Duck and Corolla. Rent a huge house, invite lots of friends and family to split it with you! That’s what we used to do. Great times.

I too grew up going to Ocean City, NJ! (Remember Watson’s?) So I agree that the water seemed warmer in NC.

We have also rented a house in Duck. You can't go wrong with any of the towns in the Outer Banks. Some are just more laid back than others. If you go with the Corolla area just be careful as some homes require 4 wheel drive to access them.

Holden Beach has been our favorite family beach so far. It's about 45 minutes north of Myrtle Beach...we drove down, did touristy stuff and shopped on a rainy day. This year, we are trying Topsail Island.

Outer banks is great but be careful of the ocean currents they are very strong! The banks are pricey to stay at. I love Oak Island too.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Outer Banks! We go every year and like Corolla and Duck best. Memorial Day and Labor Day aren't considered peak season and beach house rentals are much cheaper than during the summer. Rent a huge house and invite a couple of other families. Oh, and make sure you make a run for Duck Donuts at least one morning. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter