Favorite Marathon Signs/Sayings You've Seen?

At Space Coast there was someone near the beginning of the race, where it was very crowded, holding a sign that said "Slow down! I'm trying to get a count" I just chuckled at that one.

If a marathon was easy, it would be called your mother

LOL at myself. I've seen this one numerous times.

I'm such a bumpkin, I thought it meant "If a marathon was easy, it would be easy on you, like your mother is. Bringing you milk and cookies or making you a sandwich."

I asked my wife and she immediately assumed the more nefarious meaning.

BTW, I'm 50+ years old and my mom is 80+ and no, I don't live with her and she doesn't bring me milk and cookies.

But she would... :)

At the Enchanted 10K, there was a really cute young boy "Sorry Ladies, I'm Taken! I have one love & she's called my mother!"

It made me laugh.

Taking a detour - it's not a sign but the last thing I want to hear at mile 20 or so is somebody shouting "You're almost there!"

I'm sure they mean well or even they're trying to be funny (which, now that I'm not in the middle of a run, I can certainly appreciate the humor) but when I've been running for 4 hours and still have an hour to go, it's kind of deflating.

Sorry to be such a bummer. I'm off my soapbox now.

Taking a detour - it's not a sign but the last thing I want to hear at mile 20 or so is somebody shouting "You're almost there!"

I'm sure they mean well or even they're trying to be funny (which, now that I'm not in the middle of a run, I can certainly appreciate the humor) but when I've been running for 4 hours and still have an hour to go, it's kind of deflating.

Sorry to be such a bummer. I'm off my soapbox now.

Yeah, while the 20 mile mark is great, it's not that close to the end.

When we were running our local marathon last year, the head of our running club was out with a sign at mile 20 that said, "You are NOT almost there." Made me laugh.

Yeah, while the 20 mile mark is great, it's not that close to the end.

When we were running our local marathon last year, the head of our running club was out with a sign at mile 20 that said, "You are NOT almost there." Made me laugh.

Oh, that reminds me of another sign: "Why couldn't Phillippides have died after 20 miles?"

Saw at the PHM last weekend:

"Making motivational signs is hard."

"Hurry up - the Daytona 500 is in 2 hours!"

th

Love all of these!
My favorites:
"The first guy to ran a marathon died, but I'm sure you'll be fine..."
"Bye, Felicia"
"Would it help if I got out and pushed?" (This was being held by a kid in a stroller at mile 25)
"Hurry up, the Kenyans are drinking beer already"

If I never see "Worst Parade Ever" again, it will be too soon. I've taken to yelling "Worst SIGN ever!" at them when I see it.

My fave from 2015 was "You think this is hard? Try growing hair!" held by a bald guy.

In Hartford, there was an adorable sign held by a kid who had probably just studied Pompeii in school - "Run like Mt. Vesuvius just erupted and you're in Pompeii!" HAHA!

If I never see "Worst Parade Ever" again, it will be too soon. I've taken to yelling "Worst SIGN ever!" at them when I see it.

A co-worker and I that run local races here (not together - he's much faster and younger) have a 'tradition'. One of us will set an over/under on number of "Worst Parade Ever" signs we see and the other will choose over or under. Loser buys lunch.

"You've done dumber things when you were drunk!"
"This sounded like a good idea 6 months ago!"
"Best parade ever!"
"Touch for power"... with a bulls-eye in the center, being help by a disabled kid in a wheel chair...

Here is my favorite one from the Enchanted 5K:

i-r568sXD-M.jpg

I also loved these from the Princess Half Marathon:

i-mNt6CMt-M.jpg

i-LPSrNTf-M.jpg

i-SF9dj7T-M.jpg

One of my favorites from the Princess Half was:

"Go Mommy Go! This is your 13.1 miles of peace and quiet!"

I've seen a lot of fun ones, but rather than a favorite, the only one that always sticks out in my mind is the one that really ruined a particular half for me. I was already struggling with my intervals and just the morning as a whole and I saw a sign that said "I didn't wake up this early to watch you walk". I have never felt so defeated during a half before. As long as I never see that one again, I will be happy.

I've seen a lot of fun ones, but rather than a favorite, the only one that always sticks out in my mind is the one that really ruined a particular half for me. I was already struggling with my intervals and just the morning as a whole and I saw a sign that said "I didn't wake up this early to watch you walk". I have never felt so defeated during a half before. As long as I never see that one again, I will be happy.

"Hey, I didn't walk all this way to see you just standing there with a stupid sign."

saw a couple of good ones at my half yesterday...

One with a particular rowdy bunch of young ladies at mile 9 that said "you've ran 9 miles...we've had 9 mimosa's"
and the other "I trained for months just to hold this sign" both gave me a good laugh and a jolt when I needed it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter