Favorite Homespun Meals in Rooms?

I just saw on a Contemporary Resort page that hotel guests are welcome to use the microwaves and toasters at the Contempo Cafe. Apparently most counter service restaurants onsite let you prepare your own food there. (And offsite equally likely, though offsite peeps probably get a comp full breakfast :)!) We're staying in the CR garden wing, so it's going to be too far for us, but I didn't know this factoid and thought I'd share!:hyper:

They are really filling. (And I am a breakfast eater!) I have brought them on my last two wdw trips. Despite my love for chocolate and coffee, I prefer the flavors that don't have chocolate and/or coffee.

I'd never heard of these--wow, they look tasty. We we take some! Also, about using hot water for instant oatmeal etc. Awesome idea... Thank you!!

Toasters and toaster ovens are not allowed in regular rooms.

Well, I guess that settles that. :(

The breakfast in the room for me is as much about time savings as it is money savings. I want to avoid the food court in the morning as much as anything else. I will probably just stick to granola bars and maybe cold cereal. I did that one other time, I carried one of those multi-packs of cereal in my carry on bag and then just used cups in the room to eat out of. They were small, but did the trick. I guess I could take a plastic bowl with me...

You may want to pack a few large paper glasses for that instant breakfast. The glasses in the rooms are all pretty small.

:thumbsup2 We also packed insulated cups with lids so DH could drink his coffee on the bus and not have to deal with the refillable mugs all day. Anytime we ate at the resort we would use our refillable mugs and get a bottle of milk as our drink, which we used to mix the kids' instant breakfast. We also got yogurt for a dessert sometimes.

Has anyone flown down and brought a small toaster? I don't like untoasted bagels. Or, have you bought a toaster and just left it behind for the Mousekeeping?

I toast mine the night before at the food court.

I like toast and don't care if it's room temperature.

I also prefer cold coffee so make a Starbucks Iced Via the night before add in a waterbottle add my sweetner shake it up, and put it in the fridge.

Next morning I get my Via out pour it in a to go cup (or leave it in the bottle) and add milk (new allergy so now I'll buy soy or bring almond) and grab my toast and put some ham or peanut butter on it.

Usually either eat it in room or at the busstop.

I'm allergic to most breakfast foods so buy stuff at the resort or in the parks doesn't work for me.

I also bring energy bars or a brand of smoothies that come in shelf stable pouches (like those baby food squeezes for babies).

We also get sandwich stuff to do quick lunches when we travel for team sports. Plus chips crackers cheese cookies and fruit. Eating out everymeal gets old, really old.

I used to do oatmeal but can't eat it anymore.

Toast is my go to breakfast. I'd really miss it and I don't want to mess with any food court/quick service in the morning.

I'm glad I found this thread! My DH thinks any meal without meat doesn't count. So with my girls and I are perfectly happy with granola bars and muffins for breakfast.... I'm thinking of taking precooked sausage or bacon, he can crumble that into some instant grits and use hot water from the coffee maker! Also wondering if setting meat in a ziploc and letting it sit in the hot water will warm it up?

I'm glad I found this thread! My DH thinks any meal without meat doesn't count. So with my girls and I are perfectly happy with granola bars and muffins for breakfast.... I'm thinking of taking precooked sausage or bacon, he can crumble that into some instant grits and use hot water from the coffee maker! Also wondering if setting meat in a ziploc and letting it sit in the hot water will warm it up?

I wonder if this would be a time for off label use of the iron in your room. Set it on high, no steam. But the bacon between some paper towels. Press and hold till done, just like fusible interfacing (but better tasting).

OK, I'm kidding. But it might be a fun experiment.;)

It seems that applesauce is ubiquitous in counter service kid's meals and maybe some of the table service, too. My kids never eat it with their meal and instead I pop the sealed containers in my bag for the breakfast the next day. Even though they are eating applesauce every morning, we always seem to come home with it too! I swear that stuff multiples in the resort room.

We almost always eat breakfast and snack in our resort room, and here are our favorites that maybe haven't been mentioned already:
that darn leftover applesauce
leftovers from dinner the night before (zip-locs are always in my bag)
cashews
baked goodies from home (brownies, chocolate chip cookies, muffins)

and I'm stealing that hard boiled egg idea! :goodvibes

I wonder if this would be a time for off label use of the iron in your room. Set it on high, no steam. But the bacon between some paper towels. Press and hold till done, just like fusible interfacing (but better tasting).

OK, I'm kidding. But it might be a fun experiment.;)

That's so funny - I was thinking that you could make a "grilled cheese" sandwich using an iron! (Saw that on an old episode of "Modern Family" the other day. :rotfl2:)

I'm hoping this is a joke. Because that sounds disgusting. Not the muffins or granola bars, but instant grits and meat and water heated in a bag? Ewwww. Let the poor man go buy his breakfast!

On my last trip I stopped in one of the Hess stores and got my diet cokes and diet sprites (for late night no caffeine) and a package of fig newtons. I had fig newtons for breakfast the next 3 days! :)

We asked for a microwave in our room at the Yacht Club in June and they brought one up in minutes. We heated up leftovers for snacks in the room that way. You could also bring things like easy mac to re-heat.

I'm hoping this is a joke. Because that sounds disgusting. Not the muffins or granola bars, but instant grits and meat and water heated in a bag? Ewwww. Let the poor man go buy his breakfast!

No, not a joke. And grits with crumbled bacon wouldn't be any weirder than any Sunday morning in my house. Instant grits only require hot water, and voila! Done. The bacon in a bag I mention in case he doesn't want grits one morning. I use a vacuum sealer at home, which is just a fancy ziploc, and heat in those... So no, I'm not joking. We are saving every penny to afford this trip and neither of us wants to waste those pennies on overpriced bacon and bad eggs.
In other notes, the old grilled cheese trick sounds pretty genius according to my DH. He loves a challenge. He's planning bacon sandwiches......

No, not a joke. And grits with crumbled bacon wouldn't be any weirder than any Sunday morning in my house. Instant grits only require hot water, and voila! Done. The bacon in a bag I mention in case he doesn't want grits one morning. I use a vacuum sealer at home, which is just a fancy ziploc, and heat in those... So no, I'm not joking. We are saving every penny to afford this trip and neither of us wants to waste those pennies on overpriced bacon and bad eggs.
In other notes, the old grilled cheese trick sounds pretty genius according to my DH. He loves a challenge. He's planning bacon sandwiches......

I think the bacon and grits sounds like a great idea! Kind of like a camping meal... without the fire... :firefight I have the same philosophy on saving money. We're doing some pricey meals... CRT, BOG dinner, California Grill. Breakfast is a simple meal but to make it pleasant, you've got to pull out the creative stops.

When we have a car we go to costco and buy premade sandwiches and salads. We've gotten a whole chicken too. Otherwise sandwiches are good.

No, not a joke. And grits with crumbled bacon wouldn't be any weirder than any Sunday morning in my house. Instant grits only require hot water, and voila! Done.

"No self-respecting Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits.":lmao:
My DH would add bacon. ;)

I have been thinking a lot on this subject since we just spent a quick trip at the parks (two nights at CSR) after our trip back from Vero Beach. IMHO, the food quality at Disney is rapidly declining and I dislike having to pay a premium for disgusting food. Next year's WDW trip I am going to spulge (actually the money saved on not buying food can go to the upgrade) on a villa so I can have a full kitchen and cook our own meals. The snacks (popcorn, cupcakes, cookies etc..) are fine but the meals were dreadful. So for this next trip, we will mostly go out to eat once a day and eat the rest of the meals in our room. Breakfast will be cereal, fruit (sliced strawberries, blueberries, pineapple etc..), and granola bars. Some ideas for non-cooked meals : 1. avocado, black beans, and tomatoes in a tortilla wrap 2. Hummus and sliced peppers 3. Pita stuffed with chick peas, red onion, sliced cucumbers and lettuce with yogurt dressing. 4. Turkey/cheese or Tuna in a wrap or pita with tomatoes/lettuce 5. Cheese /pepperoni with crackers. Sides choices will be fruit/ chips, and carrots. Looking forward to hearing others non-cooking recipes.

I have been thinking a lot on this subject since we just spent a quick trip at the parks (two nights at CSR) after our trip back from Vero Beach. IMHO, the food quality at Disney is rapidly declining and I dislike having to pay a premium for disgusting food. Next year's WDW trip I am going to spulge (actually the money saved on not buying food can go to the upgrade) on a villa so I can have a full kitchen and cook our own meals. The snacks (popcorn, cupcakes, cookies etc..) are fine but the meals were dreadful. So for this next trip, we will mostly go out to eat once a day and eat the rest of the meals in our room. Breakfast will be cereal, fruit (sliced strawberries, blueberries, pineapple etc..), and granola bars. Some ideas for non-cooked meals : 1. avocado, black beans, and tomatoes in a tortilla wrap 2. Hummus and sliced peppers 3. Pita stuffed with chick peas, red onion, sliced cucumbers and lettuce with yogurt dressing. 4. Turkey/cheese or Tuna in a wrap or pita with tomatoes/lettuce 5. Cheese /pepperoni with crackers. Sides choices will be fruit/ chips, and carrots. Looking forward to hearing others non-cooking recipes.

Hoo yeah. That's my kind of food. Fresh and healthy. I love hummus, tuna, all the rest. Since you're staying in a villa: how about gazpacho and other cold, no-cook soups? Refreshing and tasty...

Now I'm reminded of something I need to hit up my mom about, and share: She belongs to one of those ladies' groups that have tea and crumpets (not really; they have tea and coffee and a bunch of ladies' food, party sandwiches etc, after presenting papers. Yep, I'm a Southerner!... ). My mom has serious anxiety when she has to host, so she makes everything ahead of time and freezes it all... certain finger sandwiches--there are exceptions of course, stuff you can't freeze, like cucumbers--and cookies and cheese wafers and on and on. Then she just lets them thaw when it's time and they're delicious. It reminded me of how long all of the food stays fresh, which is definitely a few days. Growing up, it's all we ate! We'd descend on the kitchen the second those ladies left, and stuff ourselves and there was tons left over. I might whip up a batch of stuff, sandwiches especially, to take and thaw and nibble on and round out with fresh fruit and the yummy convenience food ideas everyone has come up with! We'll see how an extra cooler might augment the fridge.:banana:

I feel your pain. I have a picky, meat eating DH also & have found that I can buy instant grits & a bag of real, crumbled bacon & he is happy. It's usually in the section with salad dressing & is NOT the hard imitation bacon. Works great in grits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter