Favorite Easy Foods

daemom

DIS Veteran
What are your favorite foods to cook when camping--that don't require a lot of kitchen time? I'm going to take a crock pot this time out but would like some other ideas. It seems like our fallbacks are burgers and hot dogs on the grill!! Thanks!!

What are your favorite foods to cook when camping--that don't require a lot of kitchen time? I'm going to take a crock pot this time out but would like some other ideas. It seems like our fallbacks are burgers and hot dogs on the grill!! Thanks!!

For our trip last year, I put a lot of thought into food - probably too much! LOL.

Anyway, we ate a good variety of stuff that was still easy for me to do. I premade several things - casserole, taco meat, meatballs for meatball subs - and froze them flat in Ziploc bags. We used those things earlier in the trip and I just threw them in the crock pot with a liner and put it on low. One day I made crockpot lasagna - basically prepped and layered everything like I normally would but did it in the crockpot. Cooked on low all day and was delicious for dinner. We added some bagged salad and voila!

Other meals that were easy on the grill were kielbasa and ham steaks. To round out our meals, I did a lot of veggies in steamer bags in the microwave.

We mixed it all up with a few meals out and some leftovers and it was all good.

I try to make some things ahead of time too, but it seems like we do that same 'ol same 'ol! :rolleyes1 I'm going to try the crockpot lasagna--sounds good!! Thanks!:thumbsup2

I hear ya! Either at home or camping, it seems we get stuck in ruts as well. That's why we had the casserole and lasagna on our last trip - not something I make too often at home. And the crockpot lasagna was a big hit with the kids.

Depending on how ambitious we are, sometimes we will make things ahead of time. Chili works great, but isn't quite as rewarding when it is 95 degrees in the shade. We do a good bit of lunchmeat for sandwiches, turkey is our favorite. We loved chicken salad, so that is a staple for us as well. Toast a few slices of bread and we are good to go. We've been known for a cereal dinner now and again. And getting out the grill for anything we have with us is always an option.

When all else fails we cheat by grabbing some chicken and eating it cold for a few meals. We sometimes get frozen cheeseburgers or chicken sandwiches from Sam's club for those times when the microwave is about as ambitious as we feel, or for those nights along our trip to Florida when setting up camp and showers is all the work we really want to do. It isn't great food, but it is edible, quick and easy.

Love the crockpot! I once roasted a turkey breast in the crockpot. It was delicious!

I do a lot of skillet meals in the camper. Ground turkey breast (I don't eat beef, but you could do beef, too) browned, then add broth, "cream of" soup, frozen corn, carrot coins (from the produce department), broccoli florets or green beans and egg noodles. I also add salt, pepper, onion powder and coriander. Let it all simmer for 20 mins to half an hour and serve.

We also do ground turkey nachos or tacos. Velveeta makes pouches of cheese sauce that work well for the nachos.

When I was a kid camping with our family, my parents would make omlets with peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese for dinner and serve them with Texas toast. Unfortunately my husband has a thing about eating eggs any other time but breakfast. Those omlets were good!

French Dip Sandwiches (crock pot):cool1:

4 pounds of beef roast (fat trimmed)
2 (10 3/4 ounces) cans of French onion soup
1 (10 1/2 ounces) can of beef broth
6 french rolls
6 slices of mozzarella cheese

In slow cooker, place roast. Add soup and broth. Cover. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Slice beef, place on rolls, top with cheese. Makes 6 servings.

Zesty Italian Chicken (Crock Pot)

2-3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
16-oz. bottle Italian Dressing
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese

1. Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker and pour dressing over chicken. Stir together gently.
2. Sprinkle cheese on top.
3. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours, or on Low for 8 hours, or until chicken is tender but not dry.
4. Serve over cooked rice or pasta along with extra sauce from the chicken.

These sound really good!!! And now, I'm going to check out that huge thread! I'm new to the camping board and haven't been lurking here too long! :dance3: Thanks all!!

i will be baking banana bread and maybe some choc/chip cookies
pineapple upside down cake , meatloaf or anything else the family decides they want cooked in the Cardboard box oven.

Okay - so let me preface this by saying we have a picky 5yo :) we typically camp in August and it gets 'tight' in the camper. My favorite appliance has become my electric griddle. We 'fry' up frozen nuggets on the griddle outside. Hubby and I put them over a bag of salad mix. Nice easy meal when you don't want something 'hot'. Kiddo eats the nuggets with a side of cucumber slices or cherry tomatoes. I also use the griddle for breakfast for dinner. We are early people so we grab breakfast to go- fruit, granola bar, yogurt. So scrambled eggs and sausage can be a quick and easy dinner.

1) When we camp (albeit in the cabins) we like non-home-food.
2) We can have chili, or whatever, at home anytime.
3) Give us something easy and different.
4) Some dishes we found a while ago . . .

HOT DOGS - are always popular but if you are tired of the usual roasts, try wrapping them in biscuit wraps and cooking them on a stick or wrap very loosely in foil and place on grate above fire for 15 to 30 minutes (time will depend on the heat of the fire and the weather. To make these more fun add cheese, onions, mustard, ketchup, pickles, bacon bits, etc. before wrapping. If using a stick, only add a little bit or the wrap will rip.

POTATO DINNER - Take a raw potato. Hollow out the center leaving
about 1/2 inch all the way around with skin attached. Fill the center with spiced hamburger with a bit of tomato sauce or use sausage pieces. Wrap tightly in foil and place on coals. Serve with cheese or garlic bread and a salad or some steamed or canned veggies. To steam veggies, slice thinly and make a foil pack and add a little water; seal and place on or over hot coals. Check after a 1/2 hour. Potato will take about an hour.

ONION SKIN HAMBURGER - Cut a large onion in half cross-wise and remove most of the center, leaving about 3 or 4 layers. Mix up a hamburger mixture of your favorite seasonings and press into the hollowed out onion skin. Place directly on the coals for about 20 to 25 minutes.

BREAD - Add grated cheddar or Parmesan cheese to butter, spread on bread slices (French or Italian loaves sliced thick work best) wrap in foil and put on coals or on a grate above the coals.

We also buy Loyds pre cooked ribs i wrap in foil and warm them up in my cardboard box oven
we also cook briskets and sausage gravy
mickey pancakes

Love the crockpot! I once roasted a turkey breast in the crockpot. It was delicious!

I do a lot of skillet meals in the camper. Ground turkey breast (I don't eat beef, but you could do beef, too) browned, then add broth, "cream of" soup, frozen corn, carrot coins (from the produce department), broccoli florets or green beans and egg noodles. I also add salt, pepper, onion powder and coriander. Let it all simmer for 20 mins to half an hour and serve.

We also do ground turkey nachos or tacos. Velveeta makes pouches of cheese sauce that work well for the nachos.

When I was a kid camping with our family, my parents would make omlets with peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese for dinner and serve them with Texas toast. Unfortunately my husband has a thing about eating eggs any other time but breakfast. Those omlets were good!

... the turkey in the crock pot! Did you wrap it in aluminum foil? Add some butter first? How long did you cook it? I'd love to give that a try! :)

... the turkey in the crock pot! Did you wrap it in aluminum foil? Add some butter first? How long did you cook it? I'd love to give that a try! :)

My SIL always cooks her turkey breasts in the crock pot. If it's frozen she puts it in the night before with chicken broth--and let's it cook all night and most of the next day. I use the same method but have never tried it frozen. And don't buy a breast that's larger than your crockpot! :lmao: good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter