• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite Counter Service @ MGM?

ZoZo

DIS Veteran
What's your favorite counter service restaurant at MGM? What particular meal have you liked?

We have tried them all and there is not a single one we find acceptable. We do like 50's PT Cafe though. For some reason, the counter service options at MGM just aren't good.

We have the same question. I usually eat at ABC commissary, but it doesn't wow me. I'd love to hear ideas. JJ

We love the Dig / Dip Site! Tastes great, and good portions for the money. Grab a cheesesteak or two and take them to ABC Commisary for a seat if it is warm outside, or just eat them outside if the weather is nice. :cool1:

ZoZo said:
What's your favorite counter service restaurant at MGM? What particular meal have you liked?

In our opinion the counter service at the Studios is not that great. We used to enjoy the ABC Comm. but we have stopped going there after we had three bad experiances in a row. We have been eating at the Backlot Express and they used to have a very good tuna sandwich but they took that off of the menu a couple of years ago so now I have the double cheeseburger and my husband has the hot dog.

So if you have to do a counter service meal while at the Studios give the Backlot Express a try.

Back Lot Express is where we eat. Fresh, toppings bar, lots of seating in different rooms. Creative decor.

But I prefer to eat breakfast at hotel, then make late lunch or early dinner at Mama Melrose. Then a snack or leave the park for the other meal.

We too find the counter service quality severely lacking at MGM. We stick to the pretzels along New York Street and the hot dogs from the turkey leg place right before Twilight Zone. The service at the turkey leg place is horrible, though.

We found the CS food choices rather boring at MGM. We ended up at the Backlot Express. I had the Chicken Fingers which were....well....Chicken Fingers. My wife had the Turkey and Cheese Panini type sandwich and she thought it was pretty good.

Good luck.

ZoZo said:

That's kinda like asking what your favorite instrument is at the dentist: the novocaine needle, the scraper, or the drill . . .

we really liked studio catering. The greek salad was sooo good as was the vanilla pana cotta. The lamb was good but not as good as the salad

I agree.... There really isn't much of a choice of counter service dining. We were there this past week and ate at the Backlot. The chicken salad was good. The kids chicken nugget meal looked like nuggets you would get from a kids frozen tv dinner. My daughter wouldn't eat them. :earsgirl: Husband was not impressed with the fries- they looked undercooked (not crispy). Our TS dinner was worth every penny!!

Because of the bad reviews, when we were there this past Saturday, we just took the boat from MGM to the Boardwalk and had some really great sandwiches and desserts from the Boardwalk bakery. It was a short boat ride and a nice break. Just know that no one there serves lunch until 12. We got there at 11:30, wanting to do an early lunch, but had to wait until 12.

We eat mostly in the baclklot express since it is the basic counter service with a toppings bar and everyone can get their own thing. We haven't tired of it yet and have eaten there the last 5 trips. I do have to say thank goodness the younger ones have finally gotten over wanting to eat in Pizza planet-IMO worst pizza ever!

There is a little shop right outside of the Brown Derby...the Starring Rolls Bakery and they serve awesome sandwiches there! Not your typical counter service ones either. And just so you know, they do NOT serve the Cobb Salad anymore. I walked all over MGM looking for that thing and finally found out the SRB used to serve it, but haven't for a while now. Oh well, the sandwiches were still pretty awesome!

We love Toy Story Pizza Planet and usually hit that. Love the salads...always fresh and we must be weird, as we like the pizza there. Everyone that has ever gone with us feels the same way.

I like the turkey sandwich at Backlot Express, the Studio Catering menu looks good, but I haven't tried it yet

Not because of the food but because my kids love the movie we have to eat there and try to avoid the arcade

another vote for the Backlot. We used to always love love love the ABC commisary - but the last 2 visits there were dreadful...so now we like the Backlot Express.

It is a shame the choices aren't better at MGM all around - even for table service.

I really don't care for the counter service food at MGM (especially ABC commissary, we've had some really bad eats there). Starring Rolls is OK. Our usual game plan if we get hungry at MGM is to head to the fruit stand on the road to tower of terror and rock n roller coaster. They have oranges, apples, bananas, fruit cups, yogurt, etc. A piece of fruit is good to tide us over until we can get to a different location for a more substantial meal.

We loved Backlot Express when we went this past August. The hamburgers were huge and juicy, one of the best I have had on Disney property.

We only went to ABC one time and it has the honor of being the worst counter service, in our opinion, on property. Pizza Planet comes in second - when we went the place smelled like Pizza Puke and we left, never to return.

Disney Studios really, really needs to improve on its CS places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter