Father with heart issue has questions

100acreHiker

Fallen down the Disney rabbit hole...
hi all! We are desperately trying to convince my father (in his 70s) to come on a trip of a lifetime to Disney. He has a serious heart valve and arrhythmia issue that affects his daily life. He hasn't been on a plane in 25 years because he is afraid of having an "event" while aboard. I think he can do this trip with our support and my dad is willing to give it a try. He has good days and bad days. I do know that standing for long periods makes his arrhythmia act up and he can wind up woozy and faint, so I am encouraging him to get a disability pass for our fall trip. He/we have a couple of questions: we will have my two sons with us (ages 8 and 11) and they worship my dad and while they know he isn't full of energy, he doesn't want them to worry about him. I know they will have to be present at guest services, but we wonder how physically close to the interview do they have to be; in other words, he doesn't really want them to hear all the details of his heart condition.

Also, we will be staying at Boardwalk Inn, and we plan to do mostly HS and EP. Which guest services is better for this kind of thing: the entrance at international gateway or HS?

Anything else I should know and pass on to my dad? I know he's very keen to see the fireworks but I wonder is there any accommodation for DAS guests to prevent long periods of standing while waiting for the show? Thanks in advance!

Your sons do not have to present at Guest Relations, just their ticket media (magicbands or hard tickets) to be added to the DAS. Even if your whole party is at Guest Relations, most can certainly stay to the side, far enough to not overhear the conversation at the desk.

Would your father be willing to use an ECV or wheelchair? That MIGHT be the accommodation recommended by Guest Relations for "stamina" related issues, and it is the ONLY way to ensure he has a seat when he needs one throughout the park (parades, fireworks, rest breaks, attraction pre-shows, etc.). Multiple busy days may be more taking on his heart than simply one long day, and by the end of the trip he may have problems if he doesn't take it easier in the early part. He is more than welcome to park the ECV/wheelchair and walk periodically, no requirement to always sit.

Enjoy your vacation!

Has he talked to his doc about flying?

My dad has heart and lung issues and was told he is no longer allowed to fly.

Can your dad take a train instead of fly?

We've taken Amtrak from Boston to Orlando (in bedroom which includes meals in the dining room). For us, the train ride is part of the adventure.

For Stamina issues, Disney recommends using a wheel chair. It would give him a place to sit while waiting for the show.

We have gone the first part of the day with a good touring plan to avoid long lines, then rent a chair after our mid-day break when the lines are long and for nighttime shows.

I'd definitely suggest an ECV or wheelchair. Disney has very few places to sit so even if he doesn't wait in line, it isn't guaranteed that he will have a spot to sit and wait.

Thank you for your replies! I would be floored if my dad agrees to use a wheelchair or the like. He had hoped to just sit on a bench while we go on rides he can't do, and then walk with us to rides he can do. He's worried about having to be on his feet for too long while in lines for attractions; I can see him starting a line and then panicking about being in his feet for too long, and the panic alone leading to heart symptoms! I fear he will bow out of all the rides if he sees that wait times are long, and he'll wind up spending his entire vacation sitting in a bench or at his resort. I'll have to think about whether this is the trip for him or not. If the only way to make Disney possible for him is an ECV or wheelchair he will pass, I think. I appreciate all of your advice and sharing your thoughts! If worse comes to worse, my he may just wind up doing the three rides we get fps for, which wouldn't be the end of the world, but a shame, I think.

Going to add that I will bring up the ECV option to my dad and see how he reacts-- cant hurt, and maybe he will surprise us! And the idea of using it just in the afternoon and evening is a good one.

Last edited:

He had hoped to just sit on a bench while we go on rides he can't do
There are more and more reports that the parks don't have nearly the number of benches that they used to have. If indeed that's the case, it may well be that his plan of sitting on a bench waiting for you will be difficult to do. That's the real plus of using a wheelchair/ECV/Rollator - having a seat whenever and wherever you need it.

Good luck

Make sure he knows you all know he doesn't need one normally. But walking 6-7 miles a day is going to be rough. Play up the fun the kids will have if he's there.m

Pride sucks sometimes! It's a tough step to take I think, but it's worth a shot.

I get the struggle about the chair/evc. That is a tough one the first time through it.
You can try the trip by starting with the 3 fastpass plan but have all the info ready to "just try a chair" so you will be ready.
I do hope your sons get to share this Disney trip with their grandpa!

There are more and more reports that the parks don't have nearly the number of benches that they used to have. If indeed that's the case, it may well be that his plan of sitting on a bench waiting for you will be difficult to do. That's the real plus of using a wheelchair/ECV/Rollator - having a seat whenever and wherever you need it.

Good luck

It's absolutely true. I sat on the ground in multiple places to ice my knee because no benches were around.

I don't get why they'd be removing benches, especially when so many people get so easily exhausted in the parks. I will definitely work on him with the ECV option. I'm curious if you all think it's not worth even trying to see what guest services offers. I don't want to go through the trouble if they're not going to offer anything to him.

I don't get why they'd be removing benches, especially when so many people get so easily exhausted in the parks. I will definitely work on him with the ECV option. I'm curious if you all think it's not worth even trying to see what guest services offers. I don't want to go through the trouble if they're not going to offer anything to him.

I mean, according to their own FAQ mobility issues don't require a DAS.

It'd be up to you. IMO, if something else will alleviate the issue they will choose that.

I guess I never thought of his heart valve issue as falling under the umbrella of a mobility problem, at least in Disney's eyes, since he has full range of motion and is scary thin-- when you see him, he's skin and bones and that's because of his heart. It's really an issue of being on his feet and panic of being on his feet in large crowds. When the arrhythmia sets in, he must sit. But he can walk when his heart is not acting up-- he's not lazy or heavy nor does he have a single bad joint. I think his concern for the trip, as explained to me, is 1. being on the plane and his heart acting up, and 2. being in a queue and his heart acting up, as those are situations that are hard to leave quickly if he must. I agree that sitting in a wheelchair might relieve some of his symptoms, though, but it will be a hard sell!

Last edited:
I guess I never thought of his heart valve issue as falling under the umbrella of a mobility problem, at least in Disney's eyes, since he has full range of motion and is scary thin-- when you see him, he's skin and bones and that's because of his heart. It's really an issue of being on his feet and panic of being on his feet in large crowds. When the arrhythmia sets in, he must sit. But he can walk when his heart is not acting up-- he's not lazy or heavy nor does he have a single bad joint. I think his concern for the trip, as explained to me, is 1. being on the plane and his heart acting up, and 2. being in a queue and his heart acting up, as those are situations that are hard to leave quickly if he must. I agree that sitting in a wheelchair might relieve some of his symptoms, though, but it will be a hard sell!

No I get it. But looking at the symptoms, one of the biggest issues is standing for long periods of time which is a mobility issue (hinders the normal occurrences of being mobile). It isn't just a walking thing. Stamina, fatigue, etc are all mobility related issues. That's why they don't ask for a diagnosis. Disney isn't offering accommodations for the heart condition, just the symptoms.

When you think "I need to sit frequently" the only real way to guarantee that is to have a wheelchair or EVC. It sounds like his heart doesn't act up when he's seated?

Again, you could definitely visit GR and express your concerns and see what they say.

as one person put it a wheel chair or ECV or roller is a tool just like glasses is a tool to see hearing aids are a tool to hear spell check is a tool for people that can not spell ( and yes I do use it and yes some times my spelling is so bad it dose not help) would he not wear glasses if he needed them to see would he not use a hearing aid if he needed to hear? or any other tool

as fair as disney it sounds like he would need something no matter what. and Disney dose say that people that need to sit do not qualify for the DAS but let say you do get one ( and I can not see them doing it) you get to the park lets say MK and you want to do caught floor it is a 30 minute wait so with the DAS you would comer back in 20 minute but guess what you go in and they just start the show so you have to wait for that show to end yes they play a video but you are stating ( there is no where to sit) for about 10 to 15 minutes and I have done it one time where the holding room was full so you had to wait in a line out side then you made it inside. ( I had to leave and was not able to do the show this time)

then there are the unexpected thing I have been in line ( and I do use the DAS ) for BTMRR ( and no I know your dad will not ride this) but lines even FP can be long ( I have lift lines after waiting 15 to 20 minutes )then there are the really great show at EPCOT were the only thing to sit on is the ground how cool would it be for him to see these show with his grand kids. depending on how old the grand kids are they might really like to push him when he need to sit in his wheel chair. and there is nothing for fireworks you will have to stand the hole time since your dad can stand you all can find a place early ( maybe watch the parade ) will he sites and then when the fireworks start he can stand so he can see better. Also parades you can have a place to site ( and I would not wast a FP for the 3pm parade full sun no where to sit and it is normally not crowded in the area.

also he dose not have to use what ever mobility device all the time if you go early enough or just feel like the line you are doing is short enough or easy enough to get out of if need be then you can park what ever you are using and walk in walk around the land or area or he can even push it him self ( I know someone that goes to disney and she uses a well chair for stanama she dose not need anything at home she has one 10 or maybe 11 year old ands will let her child sit for a few minute when she dose not need too)

as fair as going to guest service I would say there is about a 99.99999999999999999% chance they will just tell you to use a mobility device that they will not give you a DAS for what you posted ( asked us here)

I really hope you can make this trip happen I hope your dad see a wheel chair /ECV as a tool and a tool he need for disney I see a lot of people at disneyin wheel chair that look perfectly heathy infect I am someone that looks like I am in my early 20 ( about 5 years a go I was mistaken for being in middle school by an FBI agent and I was in my early 30) but I have hurt my foot and could not walk and used a wheel chair and since it happened at disney I had nothing on my foot so no one know why I also had some medical problem ( at the christmas marty and needed one for stanama normally I do not but this day I did and no one said anything intact other guest were offering to push me places CM were great. so do not let that fact he looked healthy think people will say anything to him ( I do not think anyone will and most people are too involved in there own vacation to really notice )

one last thing First aid is great if he need a cool place to rest or what ever they do have some OTC they have power aid and ice if he or anyone needs it.

So only fat people who have issues standing should provide their own seat? If you're below the weight limit you should skip waiting in line, but not if you're fat?

Thanks for your thoughts-- going to work on dad to agree to an ECV. If not, we may plan another kind of thrip for him to take with the grandkids.

So only fat people who have issues standing should provide their own seat? If you're below the weight limit you should skip waiting in line, but not if you're fat?
I do agree this is how this sounds but I do not think the OP ment it this way. I do hope they find a trip whether Disney or not that will give him some great memories with his family OP if you have any question ask

too thin = frail = in bad health. Do you understand now? It's really painful to watch someone you love waste away to nothing. Do you feel better about yourself now that you've been mean to someone who's father may be dying soon?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter