Fat quarter?

Luv0fDisney

DIS Veteran
i am wondering.... what exactly is a fat quarter in sewing?
I saw a few today and its just a piece of fabric

Fat quarters are just that, pieces of fabric that are usually 18x22 inches.

Sometimes you're just looking for a coordinating fabric and don't need a huge piece. If you're a quilter, fat quarters can easily be cut into a nice sized pieces.

Often, you'll see a bundle of coordinating fat quarters that (I think) are meant to be made into a small blanket or throw. I don't quilt, but have bought these bundles on occasion in order to coordinate projects. For instance, I made a bunch of different sized zippered pouches that I use for jewelry, chargers, toiletries, medication, and all those little miscellaneous items that you travel with out of a coordinating Mary Engelbreit fat quarter bundle.

More info about fat quarters:
http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbystepquilting/ss/fat_quarters.htm

that is correct - they are 18"x22" pieces of fabric. If you buy a quarter of a yard from the bolt, it would be 9" x 44" (the width of the fabric). But a fat quarter is made by cutting a half yard and then cutting that in half (along the fold) so you have more than 9" to work with. Fat quarters don't usually save you much money unless they're on sale and I find that the quality of the fabric is usually inferior to what's on the bolt. But they can be handy!

Fat Quarters are also a measurement of fabric used in Cross Stitch. There is no difference in quality to that on the bolt. It can be in Aida, even-weave or linen. There are different thread counts (number of threads per inch) in all fabrics.

Awesome. Thanks for your help.
I found a new thing of fat quarters at the good will store for $0.99! Yey
i also bought others but haven't used em yet which makes me wonder why i bought em.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter