Fat Friendly Rides???

Mama2jasminANDcaitie said:
I love that Disney is VERY fat friendly (while i LOVE the term "pooh sized" I call it like i see it.. I am fat. :) )

I went two years ago and rode everything. Space Mountain was my first ever roller coaster.. i nearly peed my pants.. but had a great time

one thing. stepping OUT of splash mountain is a trip and a half. I split my jeans.. all the way up the hienee... thank god i had my jacket tied around my waist.. thats all i have to say about that :rotfl: !

I will be wearing cotton stretchy pants the day we go to MK this time .. thank you very much.

.. i nearly peed my pants.. reading your post, I love the sense of humour we all share here at the dis! :rotfl2: :rotfl: :laughing:

DH was a 58 and he did just fine everywhere, but SciFi. He got in, but it wasn't comfortable. It's tighter than a normal booth. He rode Magic Carpets of Aladdin with DD2 and they did just fine. (It's a lot like Dumbo.) For the most part, it's very friendly for the larger person.
For turnstiles, DH pushed the stoller and the gate is opened automatically, made it feel like it was for the stroller.

This thread is awesome. My dad is going w/ us in Feb. and I have been trying to find what rides he will be able to ride.Right now I don,t know what size pants he wears but he did weigh 539 lbs. He has lost 90 lbs since Jan.!! :cheer2: We don't know what he will weigh when we go but I am sure he will still be Pooh sized.
My mom just said he was wearing size 60 but they are way too big now. :)

This like the most awesome thread I've ever read on these Dis boards. It's so nice to know that there are more honest to admit, and honest to God "pooh size" people like me out there.!!!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

I think we should talk to someone about creating another discussion board just with this topic in mind.

Lets see, "POOH SIZE Happy Zone?? :confused3 HMMM I'm sure someone else could think of better name.

Anyway, thanks for all the great tips, my DH and myself are both Larger the life people. We are taking a first trip the WDW with our two DD's the end of June. Its nice to know we won't be the only people with same concerns.

Now, since Disney is so "pooh friendly" with their rides. What do you think it would take to get them "pooh" friendly with bed choices at their resorts?? :confused3
Especially the value resorts.

Thanks again, I hope us "pooh's" can stick together.
Karen :earsgirl:

dismom9761 said:
This thread is awesome. My dad is going w/ us in Feb. and I have been trying to find what rides he will be able to ride.Right now I don,t know what size pants he wears but he did weigh 539 lbs. He has lost 90 lbs since Jan.!! :cheer2: We don't know what he will weigh when we go but I am sure he will still be Pooh sized.
My mom just said he was wearing size 60 but they are way too big now. :)

dismom, I am around your dad's size and found most attractions were a great fit for me. The only rides I truly found too tight were Space and Splash mountains. Some of the theater type attractions have small tight seats too but they many have added benches in the back. I suggest checking out the Ride Size section on Deb's Allearsnet.com site. Helped me sooo much! My advice on rides like Tower of Terror/Dinosaur with lap belts is for him to pull the bellt all the way and target the buckle before he gets seated. Makes it a lot easier. Yes it will be a squeeze on some rides, but still comfy enough to ride and get the Magic! if you have any other specific attraction questions, let me know here or PM! :earsboy:

Mike

Our last trip to Orlando we went to IOA, Universal Studios and SeaWorld as well as Disney...

IOA - No problems with Jurassic Park, although getting out of the boat can be tough. There is a lap bar that goes across the whole row, but latches when it touches the first "lap". Fire and Ice and Hulk coasters have a couple larger seats per train. I am a bit large in the chest and found even in the larger seats the shoulder harnesses just squeezed the breath out of me to get them to lock in place. Had that ride broken down they would have been pulling me off it a lovely shade of blue. Dudley Do Right was fine, although I don't suggest 2 pooh sized riding in the same section of the log, no matter how they try to squeeze you in. It was tough trying to get out at the end of the ride...(I was waiting for them to bring out the bear grease to try to pry us out of that log.)

Universal Studios - Mummy - I fit no problem in this one. I usually take an outside seat so I don't feel like I am taking up someone else's space. Back to the Future was fine as well, I again took an "outside" seat. ET no problem either there is a lap bar for this one, but those "bike" seats can be uncomfortable. MIB was great, use the seatbelt trick (pulling it all the way out and snapping it into the lock before sitting...works like a charm) I again took an outside seat on this one as well. Jimmy Neutron has a lap bar, this one was a bit tight on my legs.

SeaWorld - no problems with Journey to Atlantis, although I suggest not sitting in the front row for that one. I didn't go onto Kraken, the seats were similar to those at IOA and I couldn't face not breathing again. Wild Artic has 2 sides one is a sit and watch a movie, the other is a "Body Wars or Star Tours" simulator. Again the seatbelt trick does the job.

Anyway, Go have fun...and relax :)

Mykelogan-Thanks so much for your response.We are really getting excited even though the trip is more than 8 months away.I want him to have a great time w/ his grandkids.His weight kept him from doing alot of things he wanted to do. :wave2:

Happy to see a post like this, Me and my hubby are both Pooh sized as someone had said earlier, nice to see Disney rides are accomadting

I hate to be a bummer, but I have had problems at Disney. Specifically, the RRcoaster at MGM.

I guess I have a large enough bust area that the bar that comes down over your shoulders rode high on me. Even though it latched without a problem, the bar was closer to my ears than other riders. While riding, it boxed my ears and made me realy uncomfortable,even if I fit into the seat. I have not ridden RR since.

I am 5'9, 249 pounds, wearing size 22-24. I might have been 270 pounds the last time I was riding it, maybe size 26.

Hope that helps somebody.

mommyzone59 said:
Thank all of you for your honesty and your great stories. My DH a little on the pooh size is more built like a linebacker and has had trouble in our home town park with the rides that latch over the shoulders. He has not been refused but he has felt like there is no way it will latch and if it does he can't breath. Any other linebacker out there? How are the rides for the wide guys? :grouphug: Break!

WOW, I was about to ask this exact same question, using darned near the same wording, and then I saw this post! :teleport: DH2B is 6'2", 305, and more muscle than "fluff" (although he is a touch fluffy... :rolleyes1 ). He's got very broad shoulders, and has actually been turned away from a couple of rides at our local park because of the shoulder harness not latching. His "other" end fits in the seat fine.

I'm worried about the RNR and some of the Universal Rides. Especially after reading CAD3655's post about almost becoming blue from the harnesses. I also know that we'll have to ride in the front where possible, because, being tall, he'll bang his knees on whatever's in front of him, I'm sure. :sad2:

Hey, CAD3655, you said you had to ride in the "larger" seats. Are they larger in the rear area or the harness area, or both? I'm guessing that DH2B can test out the seat in front of the ride to see if the harness will latch, yes?

I love this thread and I thank everyone for all your posts. Pooh-sized people on the rides is something I just haven't had to think of before, and now I need to look out for DH2B and make sure he can have fun and isn't embarrassed by being turned away from a ride. I come from a family where we have some Pooh-sized people, but I've never toured an amusement park with them before. And my dad's only semi-Pooh sized (6'2", 260), and I've never known him to have any issues. So this is all new to me and I appreciate how helpful all you guys and gals are. :cheer2:

P.S. Hey, Flibbity, great avatar! You know, I had the "ear boxing" problem at a roller coaster at my local theme park just a couple of weeks ago. I have no explanation for why, though. I've ridden before in the same car with no issues. Go figure. :confused3

Almost every plane has different seat sizes. And with family cross country, this website has become so valuable.
Seatguru.com
They list all airlines, all the types of planes they fly. And everyseat, how wide, how far it reclines, if it really is a window seat w/ a window view.
Hope it helps someone!
:flower:

Wow. This post was just what I wanted to see. I was worried about Splash Mt., because I had heard that it could be uncomfortable for us Pooh-sized people. Thanks for a great post!

The seats are a bit larger on the top...Best advice is be brave and try the seats out front. I'm to the point where "I is what I is", and will give it a try before waiting in line. There are 2 models in front of each ride at Universal. The larger seats have 2 seat belt latches that secure the shoulder harness. The seats seem a bit deeper to me, you can settle back in them more. Your BF is built a bit different than me :earsgirl: so he may be fine as he's wider and won't have the same problem... The "regular" seats only have a single seatbelt, so it's easy to figure out which are bigger.

Thanks for the info, CAD3655! That's exactly the info I needed. DH2B isn't worried about trying the seats - he doesn't get embarrassed too easily. :smooth: Hopefully he'll fit in everything just fine... :flower:

I don't think the rides are as much of a problem as the cueing areas. Wow! Some of those roped-in sections were really narrow for skinny people!!

SqueakyMouse said:
I don't think the rides are as much of a problem as the cueing areas. Wow! Some of those roped-in sections were really narrow for skinny people!!

Well, we'd better make sure we avoid the crowds wherever possible, eh? :rotfl2:

Seriously, though, thanks for the info. Never would have thought about queues being uncomfortable. Something else to be mindful of. :flower:

I really felt bad for a gentleman at Universal who was trying to fit into seat at the Hanna Barbara ride (now Jimmy Neutron) and couldn't do it and the whole theater was watching and waiting on him. CM finally led him to a bench on the side. :guilty: I think it should have been handled better than that. :rolleyes:

The Jimmy Neutron doesn't have a "try before you fly" seat out front....and it can be really squishy! I can only imagine his embarassment...poor guy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter