Fastpass or Child Swap?

rusafee1183

DVC Owner Since 2012!
Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can either give me some guidance or point me in the right direction to a post covering this somewhere else.

This is my first trip traveling with a little one. I have been to WDW about 30 times, but always as an adult only. I had my first baby in November, and we will be taking him for his first birthday to the parks this November :love:

It's been 2.5 years since my last trip, so on top of needing to figure out the entire Child Swap thing, I also am out of practice with what attractions I should be trying to FP. I assume that Disney is too smart to let me and my boyfriend book different FP+ and also use the child swap, right? It would be awesome for me to book a FP+ for say, Space and him to book one for BTMRR and then we both get to take advantage of the rider swap shorter line for both. But something tells me that they have figured this one out, and it's not going to happen.

Assuming that is not allowed, I really just need some help determining which rides I should use Rider Swap, and what attractions would be better used with a FP+ for us.

A little background our party if it helps:

Heather - 36, DVC Member. seasoned WDW professional in a former life. Super out of practice and has no good "strategies" anymore
Mike - 36, hasn't been to WDW in a decade
MJ - First timer, will be just shy of his 1st birthday when we travel

Staying one night at ASMu, arriving late night. Transferring over to AKV Kidani for 5 additional nights. We want to visit all 4 parks, but know that we won't be able to see and do it all with our son. He is good with a lot of stimulation and loves being around all the sights and sounds, but I know he'll crash sooner than we expect. We would like to be able to hit all the classic rides that we can take him on, but mom and dad both want to be able to ride the as many of the newer and more thrilling attractions as we can, as well.

Any help is super appreciated!

I assume that Disney is too smart to let me and my boyfriend book different FP+ and also use the child swap, right? It would be awesome for me to book a FP+ for say, Space and him to book one for BTMRR and then we both get to take advantage of the rider swap shorter line for both. But something tells me that they have figured this one out, and it's not going to happen.

First off...congrats on the new baby! You guys are going to have so much fun!!

As to the quoted part above, you are overestimating Disney...they haven't done anything to stop this strategy of using child swap to split fast passes. In fact, the practice is a little controversial as people with a little one can double up on fast passes. There was talk at one point that Disney would require everyone riding to have a fast pass but that doesn't seem to have materialized yet, so the practice persists.

As to whether you should go that route or not is really up to you. My personal opinion is that rider swap shouldn't be used to double up on fast passes. That's just me though.

Last edited:
Personally I think rider swap feels like a time suck...I'd much rather stagger the FPs. Party A 11 to 12, party B 1130 to 1230 or something like that.
I'd use rider swap during rope drop and then stagger FPs starting late morning.

THE FP sticky has "sugggested" priorities.

I don't know from personal experience as we only did rider swap when both had fast passes. My travel agent told me that lately on 7 DMT and FOP CMs have been telling people that both parties need FP to child swap with FP. She said sometimes they let it go, sometimes not. I decided not to take a chance for FOP and booked both of us a FP. I did not book DH and I both FP for Space because he doesn't really care that much an we'll probably only Child Swap if DS1 wants to ride twice.

Is there any advantage to using child swap over single rider lines? We are headed with a two year old (turning 3 when we arrive) - I don't think she'll want to wait around at a ride!

Is there any advantage to using child swap over single rider lines? We are headed with a two year old (turning 3 when we arrive) - I don't think she'll want to wait around at a ride!

The only rides that have a single rider line are TT, RnRC, and EE.

We have only had problems on SDD and FOP with only one of us having Fast passes. The FOP was last April, and the CM said we both had to have fast passes for the ride. The next day at SDMT DH scanned and I didn't need one at all. This past February, same encounter at SDD...I did not have a fast pass, DH did, they scanned our bands and said that I didn't have a fast pass....I did not get to ride after he took DS. I'm not sure if there is some discrepancy as to what is the rule? It's happened to us only twice out of the past 6 trips with DD1..... So not a ton. I don't know if it's up to the individual CM? Who knows, but congratulations on the new baby and I hope you all have a magical first trip as a family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter