FastPass+ Basic Info, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at my plan for DHS. I am hoping to schedule the 3rd fast pass for my family at Star Tours. I don't actually ride this because of motion sickness. However, there isn't anything I want to do on my own, so i was going to take the fast pass so that I have used all 3 and can try to get a 4th fast pass. (early Sept, so I think I have a reasonable shot at this).

I had thought at 12:00 when the FP window opens, the rest of the family will go on the ride, and I will go to a kiosk to get 4th FP. Now it occurs to me that I actually won't be able to do that. If I don't go on the ride, my FP won't expire until 1pm.

So finally, to my question, can I get the CM to scan my magic band when my family goes on the ride, so that the FP is marked as used?

(An aside here...I feel a bit guilty about this...I have to take this FP that I will not use, just so I can get one I want. This of course means that someone who actually wants to ride it may not get one!)
If memory serves, you can go through the queue at ST then exit before the actual ride. So you would be "using" your FP when you enter, but could then exit when the rest of your family rides, and go straight to a kiosk and schedule your next FP. Just let the CM know you won't be riding, but want to walk through the queue with your family.

What time of day do you think I should schedule my first fastpass+? I plan to be there for ropedrop for each of my three Disney days (one each for AK, MK, and HS) so I should be able to take advantage of early morning shorter lines.....I hope. I want to schedule them early enough to be able to take advantage of addtional fastpasses but late enough that they would actually not be a waste of a fastpass+ selection.

Also, how difficult have people found it to schedule back to back fastpass+ selections? I am thinking maybe my first around 11, and then 12 and 1 p.m. leaving the afternoon open for additional selections. Am I being completely unrealistic? BTW I will be planning my Disney days during the last week or two of August.

If memory serves, you can go through the queue at ST then exit before the actual ride. So you would be "using" your FP when you enter, but could then exit when the rest of your family rides, and go straight to a kiosk and schedule your next FP. Just let the CM know you won't be riding, but want to walk through the queue with your family.
You could also just give one of them your band and have them tap it in addition to theirs as they go through the tapstiles. The vast majority of the time the CM's wouldn't notice.

Or you could not use yours at all and then go to a kiosk, select what they want and modify your 3rd (ST) FPP to what they select. Obviously this would be harder if something like TSMM just happened to pop up for a specific time/number of people but for the vast majority of ride you could probably change yours to within a few minutes of theirs.

(An aside here...I feel a bit guilty about this...I have to take this FP that I will not use, just so I can get one I want. This of course means that someone who actually wants to ride it may not get one!)
I feel the same way..... why does it force you to do 3 FP+? But then it goes back to the requirement to have your first 3 FP+ all in the same park. It's frustrating though to have to schedule FP+ that I don't want.... and schedule them early so the expire quickly!! That means if I want only one specific FP+ I either have to use it and wait 2 hours for the others to expire, or schedule the one I really want LATER after the other 2 expire. It definitely takes some planning to work around that.

Also, how difficult have people found it to schedule back to back fastpass+ selections? I am thinking maybe my first around 11, and then 12 and 1 p.m. leaving the afternoon open for additional selections. Am I being completely unrealistic? BTW I will be planning my Disney days during the last week or two of August.
That takes a bit of planning and modifying of your FP+. But you should be able to schedule them right in a row.... unless its a really difficult one to get like Toy Story. I've also had to include a show I wanted to make sure I saw but didn't use FP+ for. It's all about utilizing the app and doing the modifications strategically!!

We have many Magic Bands from previous visits...

Soon, we have another trip that is scheduled onsite, but as it's gets closer, we may end up having to book offsite. If we end up offsite, how do I get the tickets I have activated in MDX for our upcoming trip (purchased separately) connected to old Magic Bands? Or are they linked to previous / existing 'active' Magic Bands automatically and I don't need to do anything special?

Thanks!

It should be automatic. From My Disney Experience: "All your MagicBands and cards can be used interchangeably as long as they're active."

You can use the Magic Bands and Cards section of My Disney Experience to ensure what bands and cards are active, and to whom in your party they are assigned.

What time of day do you think I should schedule my first fastpass+? I plan to be there for ropedrop for each of my three Disney days (one each for AK, MK, and HS) so I should be able to take advantage of early morning shorter lines.....I hope. I want to schedule them early enough to be able to take advantage of addtional fastpasses but late enough that they would actually not be a waste of a fastpass+ selection.

In MK I usually start my FPs around 11, when the park starts to get really crowded. MK also has the best chance of getting "good" day-of FPs (though I would definitely schedule your original 3 for headliners). AK and HS just don't have enough FP attractions to count on much availability later in the day (particularly due to the tiering at HS). For the other parks, you can either schedule your first 3 right away, for the best chance of getting a 4th/5th FP, or ride SB for the first and last hours of the day and schedule your FPs for late morning / early afternoon to minimize your wait times. Personal preference.

From personal experience, during my trip last October, in Epcot when I went to get a 4th FP after lunch, there were no tier 1 attractions left. But I had no problem finding additional FPs in MK in the afternoon. I did not try at AK or HS.

I'm traveling with friends and their kids to WDW and staying with them in their DVC villa. My MDE account is linked to the mom's account currently and I have just bought and linked my park ticket. Do I need to link my account with all the other family members to be able to get FP+ with them? The mom is probably not going to ride all the FP+ reservations that I will ride with the dad and their older kids.

I have what might be a dumb question but can I still get a FP from a park kiosk if I don't book the FP beforehand and if I haven't used 3 FP for the day?

I have what might be a dumb question but can I still get a FP from a park kiosk if I don't book the FP beforehand and if I haven't used 3 FP for the day?
If you choose to book day-of from a kiosk when you arrive at a park, you can still book 3 initially.

Stopping in to tell others not to give up on getting FP+ that they want.

While I can't attest to A&E, I had the worst time getting 7DMT at 30 days out. I was only able to get FP+ at 10pm or later at first. We are a party of 5 and even finding 5 at the same time seemed impossible. I first started by getting 5 overlapping times for 10pm or later. Then I would try to change each FP+ one by one to an earlier time. Sometimes I found 3 available at the same time. Eventually after just a week of constant checking (about 6 times a day) I was able to snag 5 FP+ for 7DMT, that overlapped, around the 2:30pm time frame.

I still haven't been able to get any on our first MK day, but for a while I was afraid I would never get any on any days. And I'm very thankful my persistence paid off.

My ADR moto: "Just keep checking, just keep checking..."

You could also just give one of them your band and have them tap it in addition to theirs as they go through the tapstiles. The vast majority of the time the CM's wouldn't notice.

Or you could not use yours at all and then go to a kiosk, select what they want and modify your 3rd (ST) FPP to what they select. Obviously this would be harder if something like TSMM just happened to pop up for a specific time/number of people but for the vast majority of ride you could probably change yours to within a few minutes of theirs.

Well..don't I have to use that 3rd FP before we can try to get another RnRC or TSM?

Well..don't I have to use that 3rd FP before we can try to get another RnRC or TSM?
Yes, you're absolutely right. Wasn't thinking of tiers. Sorry! If you're willing I'd wait in line with them and if not just give them your MB to scan.

Due to FD, I have a split stay with the RO first and FD + Tickets second (tickets include enough days for both stays). I plan to pick the tickets up early. How will this affect my FP+ reservation timing?

Due to FD, I have a split stay with the RO first and FD + Tickets second (tickets include enough days for both stays). I plan to pick the tickets up early. How will this affect my FP+ reservation timing?
You won't be able to Pre-select FPs for your park days during your RO stay. As soon as you 'early activate' your tickets upon your arrival, you can immediately book FPs for those park days.

Packaged tickets are not active in the system until your check-in day or early activation day. The FP system allows you to book 60 days in advance of your package check in day because you have a "package."

I have a package booked, in MDE it says to link my tickets, but when I try it says my tickets are already linked to another account.

Will they automatically show up at 60 days (I'm outside my 60 day window)?

This is the first time we are traveling under the new system and I'm stressing about it.....

You won't be able to Pre-select FPs for your park days during your RO stay. As soon as you 'early activate' your tickets upon your arrival, you can immediately book FPs for those park days.

Packaged tickets are not active in the system until your check-in day or early activation day. The FP system allows you to book 60 days in advance of your package check in day because you have a "package."

Could I book at 30 days? I would have valid tickets in my account. I thought the tickets weren't necessarily tied to the room. Or is that only if the ticket package is first?

Could I book at 30 days? I would have valid tickets in my account. I thought the tickets weren't necessarily tied to the room. Or is that only if the ticket package is first?
You have to wait until 60 days before your Package check-in day.

You do not have "active" tickets. They are sitting in your package that becomes active when you check-in. You can only activate those tickets up to three days in advance and only when you are actually at WDW.

I have a package booked, in MDE it says to link my tickets, but when I try it says my tickets are already linked to another account.

Will they automatically show up at 60 days (I'm outside my 60 day window)?

This is the first time we are traveling under the new system and I'm stressing about it.....
Yes. This info is bolded in the first post.

If you choose to book day-of from a kiosk when you arrive at a park, you can still book 3 initially.

Great! With that Tier system in place sometime it's difficult to decide which FP to do in advance, so I was hoping this was the case. I wish you could choose at least 3 FP in advance for at least 2 different parks for the same day. That would be ideal! :thanks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter