FAST PASS return times enforced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angipoo

Born and bred in a briar patch
I heard a few months ago that Disney was being more strict in enforcing the FAST PASS return times. It has always been our experience that while you cannot use your FAST PASS before the window (10:30-11:30 a.m., for example) begins, cast members would let you use the FAST PASS hours after the return window. Does anybody have any information? We're leaving in less than two weeks and this will really have an impact in our touring plans.

I heard a few months ago that Disney was being more strict in enforcing the FAST PASS return times. It has always been our experience that while you cannot use your FAST PASS before the window (10:30-11:30 a.m., for example) begins, cast members would let you use the FAST PASS hours after the return window.

Nothing has changed in this regard.

Have a great trip!

I heard a few months ago that Disney was being more strict in enforcing the FAST PASS return times. It has always been our experience that while you cannot use your FAST PASS before the window (10:30-11:30 a.m., for example) begins, cast members would let you use the FAST PASS hours after the return window. Does anybody have any information? We're leaving in less than two weeks and this will really have an impact in our touring plans.

Nothing may have changed (as the previous poster stated) but is it right for you to do that? They give out those times for a reason. Ok (for example) you have children they needed to use the bathroom so you are 10 minutes late. Ok probably no biggie. Everyone who had 10am coming at 2pm. Imagine the chaos and upset that would cause. Just because they let you do it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Disney Cm's just don't want to fight with you. Use the time on your FP as it was intended for everyone's sake.

I think it depends on the attraction and the crowd levels and the CM working the FP line. We were turned away from Space Mt trying to used passes past the time once. I have have seen several people on various trips turned denied at Soarin'. I guess your safest bet is that if you are really determined to ride something, stick to the time if you can to be safe, otherwise be ready to accept being denied entering in the event that it does happen.

*Note to above poster: I LOVE Cris Angel!*

I think it depends on the attraction and the crowd levels and the CM working the FP line. We were turned away from Space Mt trying to used passes past the time once. I have have seen several people on various trips turned denied at Soarin'. I guess your safest bet is that if you are really determined to ride something, stick to the time if you can to be safe, otherwise be ready to accept being denied entering in the event that it does happen.

*Note to above poster: I LOVE Cris Angel!*

Just went to MK last week, and yes, they asked the time and checked my slip in several of the FP lines, in fact we were 5 minutes early to Peter Pan and he told me I was early after checking his watch. Just my experience.

I don't think it's necessarily wrong to use a FP after the window. If the line is too long for FP they do turn you away, which means they are in control, so it wouldn't get out of hand. If it does, they put a stop to letting people in late. Therefore, if they let you in, then it's obviously not a problem, which means it's not really wrong. Flame me all you want, this is my philosophy

I've never been turned away for coming after the FP window but I've never been more than 30 minutes late (got stuck on another ride, but I never even needed to mention that since they just let us right in). However, I've had to wait for the window to open several times. Like, this Friday we had to wait for about 45 seconds. Seriously people? OK, waiting 45 seconds doesn't bother me but is that really necessary? It just seems like a power trip. No one else went in during that time and the girl just stood there staring at her clock saying it was the only one that mattered (our phones were showing that it was already 2:45, the start of our FP window). Anyway, it just seemed kind of ridiculous.

I have also never been turned away if I was late. I have had them check my return time (I'm sure to avoid people who get a FP and then immediately try to use it) but have never been questioned if arriving late. But, I've also never been very late either. I'm guessing if you tried to use a FP hours later they might frown upon that.

well thats the whole idea of fast passes other wise they wouldnt state a time would they so i think that is how it should be i would be miffed if id got a fast pass and rushed to meet my time to learn someone had a time from hours before so yes that is how it should be:dance3:

I never knew you could come back late with FP, I figured they watch that time as closely as the starting time. This is good to know if I'm on the other side a park when my FP window opens.

We've been late with our FP's and haven't had a problem. We were late once because our dining reservation took forever--to seat us and then service was very slow so we missed our "window". Another time Space Moutain was closed during our FP time and they let us use it later that night when it was running again.

I have not heard of them getting more strict with coming late. Soarin' is an exception - you are more likely to be turned away there than any other attraction because of the long lines.

In theory, if everyone DID show up late, it could throw the distribution off and cause increased wait times later in the day, but I believe the current distribution rate of fastpasses isn't significant enough to affect things.

What I HAVE heard of is that they are getting better at checking the return DATES of passes, along with spotting counterfeits, which have become an increasing problem. They are supposed to be testing a barcode reader system for that.

I always quote this post whenever this topic comes up.. because well.. it just covers it.

Esp the very last line.. :)

WOW
This just always seems to rear it's ugly head. Now we have people wanting the "rules" enforced. Where do I start??? I always try to respond to these posts because I do feel like I have some worthwhile info that comes from actual Disney management (see below). First of all, if you don't believe you should use the FP's past the time, then don't. The fact is this: If I choose to not ride during the 2 hour window, it only means that someone else will fill my magical spot on the ride (someone from the standby line). If I did enter during the 2 hr time, that same person (theoretically) will ride AFTER me. You see, when I use my FP does not affect 1)the number of people in the park, or 2)the number of people who choose to ride a certain ride. This is not a rationalization, it is just basic theme park logistics. FP's do not expire (on that day, of course) and I know that for a fact.
My cousin, Scott Bowden works in Anaheim as a Senior Vice President in the Department of Planning, Revenue Management and Strategic Pricing (how would you like that on your business card?) We have spoken so many times on this subject that many times when I call him, the first thing he says is "Wassup, Fastpasses don't expire"

Remember, FP's are not intended to move you to the front of the line, they are to allow you to spend your waiting time somewhere else (like buying food or merchandise). Disney is a business and people can not spend their money in line. FP is a win-win idea that reduces your standing in line time. When you use it does not affect the flow of the ride or the dynamics of the wait for ANYONE else. Now, there is one more thing. When we adopted our child from China 2 years ago, one of the other fathers in our travel group works for the company in Buffalo that (among other things) worked with Disney on the design and implementation of the fastpass. Trust me when I say that the idea was not to reduce your wait time, but to reduce your "non-buying" time in the parks. It is not an accident that the Fastpass does not specifically prohibit late arrivals. In the original patent for the fastpass (and machine), there is a specific statement that details this "late" use. It is not only OK, it has zero bearing on the flow of the park or the wait times for anyone. Yes, you could argue that if everyone held their fastpass for 1 hour then flooded the ride, there may be some fluctuations in wait times, but that is simply not realistic. Additionally, if everyone did that, many more standby riders than normal would get to ride earlier. Remember, how or when you use your FP does not affect the number of people in the park or how many people ride the ride.
Fastpasses DO NOT expire. If a castmember tells you otherwise, politely ask them to speak with a supervisor - you are not asking for a favor, you are asking for something that is specifically allowed under the fastpass.
Fastpasses DO NOT expire.

Please everyone, stay nice - this is all about vacation stuff after all.

With respect, I don't buy that line of reasoning, regardless of from whom it comes. Since the number of people who obtain Scott's implicit permission (above) is very small, not imposing the times listed on the FastPasses gives an unfair advantage to people who are more likely to be transgressive ("let's see if we can still use this even though it is expired") over people who are more likely to be compliant ("ut-oh, we missed our FastPass window; here is the standby queue"). Any system where transgressors are favored over people who comply is flawed. I expect to see this bonus, which ostensibly could be defensible in cases where people honestly had an "incident" that precluded their timely return, go the way of so many others: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=961228

With respect, I don't buy that line of reasoning, regardless of from whom it comes. Since the number of people who obtain Scott's implicit permission (above) is very small, not imposing the times listed on the FastPasses gives an unfair advantage to people who are more likely to be transgressive ("let's see if we can still use this even though it is expired") over people who are more likely to be compliant ("ut-oh, we missed our FastPass window; here is the standby queue"). Any system where transgressors are favored over people who comply is flawed. I expect to see this bonus, which ostensibly could be defensible in cases where people honestly had an "incident" that precluded their timely return, go the way of so many others: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=961228

You can only "transgress" if its against the rules. Disney apparently says it is NOT against the rules (ask a CM), but reserves the right to refuse late passes if the situation warrants it.

On the back of the fastpasses it does NOT say you MUST return during the window, it says "Please". And "Cannot accept early arrivals. Valid only on date printed."

So, it is explicit that you cannot be early, but says nothing about being late.

And the DO expire - at the end of the day issued, so saying they don't expire is a bit of an exaggeration.

You can only "transgress" if its against the rules.
I was talking about people who are or are not naturally transgressive. If something says "Between 1PM and 2PM" then I content that most reasonable people will believe that means between 1PM and 2PM, and transgressive people will be the ones, on average, who will believe that it means any time after 1PM. Remember, we're talking about people who haven't heard from Scott, so as far as any of them know, the rules are what is printed on the FastPass.

On the back of the fastpasses it does NOT say you MUST return during the window, it says "Please".
I'm sorry but I view that as a trivial distinction. Politeness shouldn't be interpreted as an invitation to ignore what is written. Nor should the absence of something say, essentially, "... and we mean it."

In the interest of answering the OP's question -

As of today, based on all the information we have available to us at this time..

Disney's policy on this has not changed... unless the attraction is very busy ... you may return late most days to most attractions with a FastPass. CM's and the attraction managers will make the decision about accepting late FP's based on operating conditions present. You *may* be told no. Be prepared for that.

As with refillable mugs, I exhort you to follow Jiminy Cricket's advice and ...

Let your conscience be your guide.

Thanks,

Knox

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter