• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fast Pass going Live?

Rileygirl

DIS Veteran
If you dont frequent the theme park boards, there is a thread that has just started, stating that fast pass has gone live. They are introducing it slowly in the parks.

Check it out.

~A

There is a thread here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111294 that says they started rolling it out in a very limited way as of Sunday. Only about a hundred or so resort guests got them. I expect if all goes well they will expand it soon. It will be intersting to get all the details of how it's going to work. I hope its up and running for everyone when we go the last week of August as I can see there are times when booking the FP ahead of time will be to our advantage. Also there is the idea that you can use both until they've taken the paper ones away...that would be really great to be able to use both. Guess we'll see what happens with this first phase of the roll out.

There is a thread here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111294 that says they started rolling it out in a very limited way as of Sunday. Only about a hundred or so resort guests got them. I expect if all goes well they will expand it soon. It will be intersting to get all the details of how it's going to work. I hope its up and running for everyone when we go the last week of August as I can see there are times when booking the FP ahead of time will be to our advantage. Also there is the idea that you can use both until they've taken the paper ones away...that would be really great to be able to use both. Guess we'll see what happens with this first phase of the roll out.

That would be awesome!

Yes it seems to be very very limited and chances of anyone getting to test by asking are very slim. They are going to have to start rolling them out sooner or later because they want this to be in full swing next year. I thinks it's a personal opinion on if you like it or not I'm going in with a open mind and they seem to be a new cool thing that will be incorporated into everything you at disney I believe this tech will make the vacation even better. That's not to say it could be bad as well its just no one has really had experience with it yet.

disney lover at heart

Oh, I would love to try this when we go in July!! I really would love for them to roll out the Magic Bands w/ or w/o FP+. :cool1:

There are a few things I find interesting.

Is this actually being tested? It looks like the person who posted could be a CM, and there is one report of a guest at Disney who confirmed it was being tested, just not in the MK today (as I understand it)

It will be very expensive I would think to have CM's manning 1) the attractions 2) the regular FP line, and 3) the Magic Band stations plus the kiosks must be in action too. This OPPORTUNITY to have both Magic Bands and regular FP is awesome for the guest - so if you happen to be going soon - try and get in the testing. (too bad LockedoutLogic is back home already). I think this opportunity of doubling down on the FP's will be very short lived. This is also going to be a very expensive transition for Disney, just due to man power alone.

If they are starting to introduce it now, does that mean they plan to open the flood gates slowly and start this thing right up now? Its still mid may- and the crowds wont be here til June. Possible, unless they encounter any glitches I guess.

Thirdly- its interesting that this article about disabled guides have hit the internets on the same day as the possible release of FP+

From what I heard when there a few weeks ago, there is no "live" date. There are so many phases of the Fastpass + that they are being rolled out gradually until all have been completed. It's being done in sections. This info was from a CM (but not a bus driver;))

Is this actually being tested? It looks like the person who posted could be a CM, and there is one report of a guest at Disney who confirmed it was being tested, just not in the MK today (as I understand it)

It will be very expensive I would think to have CM's manning 1) the attractions 2) the regular FP line, and 3) the Magic Band stations plus the kiosks must be in action too. This OPPORTUNITY to have both Magic Bands and regular FP is awesome for the guest - so if you happen to be going soon - try and get in the testing. (too bad LockedoutLogic is back home already). I think this opportunity of doubling down on the FP's will be very short lived. This is also going to be a very expensive transition for Disney, just due to man power alone.

If they are starting to introduce it now, does that mean they plan to open the flood gates slowly and start this thing right up now? Its still mid may- and the crowds wont be here til June. Possible, unless they encounter any glitches I guess.

Thirdly- its interesting that this article about disabled guides have hit the internets on the same day as the possible release of FP+

It could be very expensive for Disney at first adding to the cost of the project, but it seems the corporate office has absolutely full confidence in recouping the money next year. It will be interesting to see if they can increase their profits another Billion dollars next year on top of what they are making without the MyMagic+.

But, I am most intrigued by the double dipping concept of FP. Think about how powerful that would be for experienced travelers.

I schedule my advanced FP+ for the evening, I go to rope drop at MK. Casually grap a FP on my phone for Splash Mountain for 11:00 am, head over to Fantasyland and play from 9-11 am. Ride Splash at 11:00 while I grab a FP on my phone for Space Mountain at 2:00. At 2:00 pick up one for Peter Pan for 10:00 pm. Then I ride my three scheduled FP+ rides (Splash again, Big Thunder, and Mine Train).

And other people say that I could use unlimited FP+ to reserve my lunch at BOG.

That would really be a great day at MK with virtually no time waiting in line. It would be amazing. Fantastic. Can't wait. I spent all day, and without waiting in line, maybe I took time to enjoy the Hall of Presidents and the Tiki Show.

6 FPs for all no tiers no restrictions. And its free.

And it is even better at Epcot!

Or I could hit Epcot at rope drop and work the FP system there (the day of virtual type) and then boat down to Hollywood Studios to ride my pre-scheduled TSMM and ToT and catch the Fantasmic! show. While I am waiting I can grab a Star Tours FP.

What a great day.

What could be the connection? My mind is racing. :)

The double dipping of FP and FP+ will be outstanding for those who know about it, and know how to do it. Wish I had a trip planned in the next month or so. Dont know how long this transitional gravy will last though.

I know the mouse plans to quickly recoup their loss regarding the additional CM's - I guess my speculation is, the sooner they can get this thing up and running in full gear, the sooner they can cut back the staffing - so I think that they will try and make the 'trial' as short as possible to be cost effective.

Regarding the Disabled Guide News Release: (note here that perhaps I have watched too much West Wing on TV)

Disney is a giant media mogul. Their PR department must be huge, additionally, some of the best in the business working for them. Perhaps they were thinking about spinning the news cycle for them this way:

1. This terrible abuse (not debating here, my opinion that it is, yours may vary and thats ok) creates interest in Disney and shows a 'fault' of the system currently in place. Its distasteful (and debatable because there are 2 sides to this story) enough for not only the internet hounds of the disboards to hotly debate and comment on (how many threads are online right now, how many are locked, ect) but has stimulated lots of interest in the general public. Its even shown up in Yahoo Canada little news feed.

2. How can we fix this terrible abuse? Well, miracle of miracles, there is a NEW system just coming online that can not only fix this, but make it so much better. (How easy would it be to schedule the Make a Wish Kids 7 or 8 fast pass slots plus shows, parades and fireworks all before hand with this new system? How easy would it be to identify and block these disabled guides from doing what they are doing?) This system, when its fully in place can do exactly that.

3.Who owns the media that released the story? Are they affiliated with Disney? Why did it get picked up Nationwide, even internationally? Does Disney have an 'oar' in this? I think so.

4. How fortutous that this 'big' story was released when the news cycle has slowed down, Boston Marathon and Ohio Kidnapping stories are pretty much off the front page. I would bet good money this story would not break when it was going to get the backpage.

5. Timing is perfect for Disney, to announce their super new idea and way of doing things, and what a nice news story how they can really make a kids make a wish foundation dream really come true. (no sarcasm here- I think the GAC people who really need this will come up on top and that is great)

6. This article was written to inflame people. The title itself is enough to get the ball rolling. Using the word Rich' and then how the system is abused by 'rich' people. Yet some of the story is so questionable. I really think that rich people would be hiring the disney guides or private guides, its someone who is looking to save a few bucks and cheat the system that is hiring these disabled guides. I have heard quite a few interesting stories on how some of the movers and shakers do things at Disney. They are not generally looking for a bargain. The small world example also does not compute. The comments of the 'mom' are meant to set the 99% off - the tone the writer uses 'black market', posed, sniffed. Its so obvious, that the person in charge of the 'spinning' should get smacked in the back of the head.

I do believe this is an acutal business. I do believe that people actually use it. I also believe that Disney knew about this for a long time, and chose to use it to spin the news cycle at the most convienient time. I find it very hard to believe this is coincidental.

Edited to add: I just noticed that the disabled guide is such a hot topic in the dis, Cyrano has made a sticky about it in the theme park forums. I am sure its causing slightly less, but significant furour with the general public. Maybe the PR person should have his hand shaken by Iger.......

It is not 'live' it is in a limited testing phase right now to a very few select resort guests. Hopefully in the next few months we might see it go live.

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/05/17/first-look-disneys-mymagic-magicband/

A few days ago, a DISboards thread announced that MagicBands and the upcoming FastPass+ system has been released for guest testing in the parks. We have heard from a source that this is not correct, and that the MagicBands and other MyMagic+ features will begin testing next week for Cast Members and their guests only. We are also hearing that this test will most likely be open to only ‘higher up’ Cast Members in management roles. If all goes well with this test however, it is reasonable to expect a wider test base including guests maybe even by summer of this year.

The double dipping of FP and FP+ will be outstanding for those who know about it, and know how to do it. Wish I had a trip planned in the next month or so. Dont know how long this transitional gravy will last though.

I know the mouse plans to quickly recoup their loss regarding the additional CM's - I guess my speculation is, the sooner they can get this thing up and running in full gear, the sooner they can cut back the staffing - so I think that they will try and make the 'trial' as short as possible to be cost effective.

Regarding the Disabled Guide News Release: (note here that perhaps I have watched too much West Wing on TV)

Disney is a giant media mogul. Their PR department must be huge, additionally, some of the best in the business working for them. Perhaps they were thinking about spinning the news cycle for them this way:

1. This terrible abuse (not debating here, my opinion that it is, yours may vary and thats ok) creates interest in Disney and shows a 'fault' of the system currently in place. Its distasteful (and debatable because there are 2 sides to this story) enough for not only the internet hounds of the disboards to hotly debate and comment on (how many threads are online right now, how many are locked, ect) but has stimulated lots of interest in the general public. Its even shown up in Yahoo Canada little news feed.

2. How can we fix this terrible abuse? Well, miracle of miracles, there is a NEW system just coming online that can not only fix this, but make it so much better. (How easy would it be to schedule the Make a Wish Kids 7 or 8 fast pass slots plus shows, parades and fireworks all before hand with this new system? How easy would it be to identify and block these disabled guides from doing what they are doing?) This system, when its fully in place can do exactly that.

3.Who owns the media that released the story? Are they affiliated with Disney? Why did it get picked up Nationwide, even internationally? Does Disney have an 'oar' in this? I think so.

4. How fortutous that this 'big' story was released when the news cycle has slowed down, Boston Marathon and Ohio Kidnapping stories are pretty much off the front page. I would bet good money this story would not break when it was going to get the backpage.

5. Timing is perfect for Disney, to announce their super new idea and way of doing things, and what a nice news story how they can really make a kids make a wish foundation dream really come true. (no sarcasm here- I think the GAC people who really need this will come up on top and that is great)

6. This article was written to inflame people. The title itself is enough to get the ball rolling. Using the word Rich' and then how the system is abused by 'rich' people. Yet some of the story is so questionable. I really think that rich people would be hiring the disney guides or private guides, its someone who is looking to save a few bucks and cheat the system that is hiring these disabled guides. I have heard quite a few interesting stories on how some of the movers and shakers do things at Disney. They are not generally looking for a bargain. The small world example also does not compute. The comments of the 'mom' are meant to set the 99% off - the tone the writer uses 'black market', posed, sniffed. Its so obvious, that the person in charge of the 'spinning' should get smacked in the back of the head.

I do believe this is an acutal business. I do believe that people actually use it. I also believe that Disney knew about this for a long time, and chose to use it to spin the news cycle at the most convienient time. I find it very hard to believe this is coincidental.

Edited to add: I just noticed that the disabled guide is such a hot topic in the dis, Cyrano has made a sticky about it in the theme park forums. I am sure its causing slightly less, but significant furour with the general public. Maybe the PR person should have his hand shaken by Iger.......

This is a really interesting post. I just want you to know I read it. It took a lot of thought. I have nothing to add, because it is so comprehensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter