Fast pass blues

melindaPR

Mouseketeer
DH and I have been successfully using the current FP system for well over a decade. We really like it. We are at WDW now, and a CM would not let me and my DS3 on Star Tours because it was 1:40 and our FP was from 12:10-1:10. I exclaimed, "oh! This is new." CM said, "no, it's always been this way," and proceeded to point out the times on my card. I politely told him I understood that, but that the end time has never previously mattered. He insisted that its always been this way, and told me that I'd have to get another FP.

Needless to say, not the Disney customer service I've become accustomed to. I wish they'd advertised that they'd now be enforcing the times, and I wish the CM had just said something similar, instead of trying to make me feel like I didn't understand the system.

I assume this is in anticipation of the FP+ release. If Disney is going to make us commit to our FP windows, they have to make the windows longer. An hour, especially when you have no control over when that hour will be (meaning: you show up to the ride and take the FP time it's offering), just isn't adequate for kids. My DS3 tried Star Tours for the first time today and LOVED it. He wanted to go a second time, so we picked up an FP and had some lunch. At that point, our FP window was open, but he wasn't ready to go back on, but rather wanted to watch the Jedi Training Academy right next to the entrance. After that, it took a little time to get the stroller set and to make meet-up plans with DH and DS1, putting us 30 minutes passed our FP window by the time we got to the entrance.

At any rate, I was sad that they have now chosen to enforce the hour window, which doesn't seem at all family-friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'll be the first of many to tell you that they have been enforcing FP return times for quite some time now. I'm sorry that you were disappointed in the way the situation was handled, but in this case, rules are rules.

Enforcement of printed FP Return Times has been going on for well over a year at WDW, and for several months at DLR.

Much-discussed on these boards.

DH and I have been successfully using the current FP system for well over a decade. We really like it. We are at WDW now, and a CM would not let me and my DS3 on Star Tours because it was 1:40 and our FP was from 12:10-1:10. I exclaimed, "oh! This is new." CM said, "no, it's always been this way," and proceeded to point out the times on my card. I politely told him I understood that, but that the end time has never previously mattered. He insisted that its always been this way, and told me that I'd have to get another FP.

Needless to say, not the Disney customer service I've become accustomed to. I wish they'd advertised that they'd now be enforcing the times, and I wish the CM had just said something similar, instead of trying to make me feel like I didn't understand the system.

I assume this is in anticipation of the FP+ release. If Disney is going to make us commit to our FP windows, they have to make the windows longer. An hour, especially when you have no control over when that hour will be (meaning: you show up to the ride and take the FP time it's offering), just isn't adequate for kids. My DS3 tried Star Tours for the first time today and LOVED it. He wanted to go a second time, so we picked up an FP and had some lunch. At that point, our FP window was open, but he wasn't ready to go back on, but rather wanted to watch the Jedi Training Academy right next to the entrance. After that, it took a little time to get the stroller set and to make meet-up plans with DH and DS1, putting us 30 minutes passed our FP window by the time we got to the entrance.

At any rate, I was sad that they have now chosen to enforce the hour window, which doesn't seem at all family-friendly.

It's not new. Enforcement has been going on for well over a year now.

Yep, been enforcing them since March 2012.
CM didn't need to insist it's always been that way though.
But there are signs over all the FP machines warning that you must return in the window, and if you had stopped by here before heading to WDW.... well, you probably would not have been taken by surprise.

When we were there in June, there were signs on top of the fp machines that clearly stated they are not able to accommodate late arrivals. It was also printed on the fp tickets, if I remember right.

I thought FPs always had a return time window on them it just wasn't enforced until a year and a half ago, so technically the CM would be right in that "its always been this way", he just left out "but it's started to matter".

Agreed. Exactly what my husband and i discussed. It's not wrong to enforce it, but that hasn't been the practice at WDW or DL for years. Admittedly, we didn't make it to WDW last summer because our youngest son was born (and we generally go to WDW 1x per year) so our WDW FP experience is not as recent. I was disappointed for sure because this was news to us. But, I'm super disappointed in how family-unfriendly it is compared to previous practice (at least families with young, unpredictable children), and I'm just used to Disney being a place that is over-the-top family-friendly. I mean, where else can you get an incredible 4 or 5 star meal WITH your young children, and nobody gives you a dirty look?!

We travelled with a not quite 2 year old and a 3 1/2 year old, we had no problems making the return window. I understand that if you missed the "change" that you didnt realise it was something to be prepared for though

Ha! Thanks for the info. I can't possibly follow all the threads on these boards! Guess I missed that one, and my DH got the FP, so he obviously didn't notice the signs--I'm sure he wasn't looking for them, not expecting any changes. Last we were at DL was December, so it sounds like this is new practice there since the start of the year. Bummer. Headed there in August

It definitely will change our approach to the parks and how we typically visit attractions.

Not enforcing the return time would be like not enforcing the age limit for kids admission prices. Or not enforcing the resort guests only for emh

Ha! Thanks for the info. I can't possibly follow all the threads on these boards! Guess I missed that one, and my DH got the FP, so he obviously didn't notice the signs--I'm sure he wasn't looking for them, not expecting any changes. Last we were at DL was December, so it sounds like this is new practice there since the start of the year. Bummer. Headed there in August

And, yes, it is in anticipation of the looming FP+ arrival (with which focused Return Times are more critical than before.)

Discussion on FP+ concerns has superseded any dismay over losing same-day "after window" FP use.

Btw, excuse the typos. Embarrassing for a teacher, even if auto-correct played a part. :-)

Agreed. Exactly what my husband and i discussed. It's not wrong to enforce it, but that hasn't been the practice at WDW or DL for years. Admittedly, we didn't make it to WDW last summer because our youngest son was born (and we generally go to WDW 1x per year) so our WDW FP experience is not as recent. I was disappointed for sure because this was news to us. But, I'm super disappointed in how family-unfriendly it is compared to previous practice (at least families with young, unpredictable children), and I'm just used to Disney being a place that is over-the-top family-friendly. I mean, where else can you get an incredible 4 or 5 star meal WITH your young children, and nobody gives you a dirty look?!

Discussion about the FP window enforcement was THE hot topic here on the Dis for months. Probably about as many concurrent threads running then as there are FP+ threads running now. Too bad you missed them.

Now that you know about FP window enforcement, it will undoubtedly change the way you tour the parks. I don't see this as being less family friendly, though, just different. We toured the parks with young children for many years, adhering to the FP ride windows because we didn't know any better. Never had a problem. Things change. You adapt.

For me, this is a non-issue. I've been using FP since it was first launched. And since day 1, there has always been a return window. I have never been one to think "well, I can just go back anytime after the window ends". And quite honestly, I think it's irresponsible and entitled for people to think they can bend the rules. Sure, the parks have to shoulder some of the blame for this because they did not enforce the policy. But shame on the relatively few who willingly broke the FastPass rules. Your actions (before enforcement), while highly beneficial for you, extended the wait in line for people who respected the policy in the first place.

Sorry for the mini-rant. But this discussion, in all of its various forms is getting a bit old. :rolleyes2

For me, this is a non-issue. I've been using FP since it was first launched. And since day 1, there has always been a return window. I have never been one to think "well, I can just go back anytime after the window ends". And quite honestly, I think it's irresponsible and entitled for people to think they can bend the rules. Sure, the parks have to shoulder some of the blame for this because they did not enforce the policy. But shame on the relatively few who willingly broke the FastPass rules. Your actions (before enforcement), while highly beneficial for you, extended the wait in line for people who respected the policy in the first place.

Sorry for the mini-rant. But this discussion, in all of its various forms is getting a bit old. :rolleyes2

Early on, I was actually told by a CM that the end times don't matter.

Early on, we were told by a CM that the end times didn't matter. Prior to that, my husband and I would always adhere religiously to the end time.

I'm sorry this is a tired topic for you--I don't spend that much time cruising the DIS boards, so it was new to me. Thanks kindly to those who responded with helpful information.

As someone who visited WDW yearly since 99 until a few years ago, I wholeheartedly agree with your dismay! It was not until last year that they started enforcing the return times. I confess, it caught me by surprise too, although I was warned prior to our trip (by my bother and his family who got caught at the very start of it, then my folow-up confirmation on these boards). For us--my brother's family and mine--it was over 10 years of trips, then OUCH!

I will also say that I have been using TourGuideMike for the past 5 or so years with great results, but he also totally blew this one. When my DB reported the bad news, I checked TGM and his info still insisted no return enforcement (as had been the case for more than 10 years!). I checked here, and DISer reports confirmed the bad news. And, of course, our own trip at Christmas proved it all accurate (TGM sill had it wrong though!!!!!!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter