Fare Cost....are babies free?

terrybsw

Mouseketeer
I know this is a longshot, but I can't find an easy source for the answer. Extended family considering joining us on cruise to Alaska. They have a 1yr old and a 2 yr old....will they be charged. In other words, is there any age where kids travel free?

Thanks

I know this is a longshot, but I can't find an easy source for the answer. Extended family considering joining us on cruise to Alaska. They have a 1yr old and a 2 yr old....will they be charged. In other words, is there any age where kids travel free?

Thanks
No. I found this:

All cruises are priced based on two adults in the stateroom. So, even if you are one adult traveling with a child, the price is the same as if there were two adults in the stateroom. After the two adult price, the third and fourth passenger in the stateroom are charged a lower rate. If you are traveling alone, DCL will charge you 100% of the second adult's cruise fare (not including port fees and taxes) in addition to the full fare for the first adult.

**NOTE** Teenagers will be Charged adult fares (13-17). Child rates apply to ages 3-12. Children ages 0-2 pay 50% of the child rate.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-price.htm

The **NOTE** part applies to the 3rd & 4th persons in the room. First two people in a room are always adult (full fare) price.

We just sailed with a 2 yr old, he was the 4th person in the stateroom and we definitely paid for him, althought not as much as we paid for #3, our 6 year old.

We sailed Oct 2015 with our son (18 months at the time) and again July 4-11, 2016 (he's now 2 1/2); we were charged for him both times. It's at a cheaper rate, but there IS still a charge. Easiest way to see the break down is to price one out on DCL's website.

For budgeting purposes, you might also want to know that you pay for babies AND you are expected to pay gratuities for them. :) Interestingly, on Carnival we weren't charged gratuities for our baby (we had just taken a DCL cruise with him, so I was expecting to have to).

A few years ago DCL started charging a fare for kids under 3 (unless they were the 2nd person in cabin). Kids under 3 paid port charges only. Now they pay a fare plus port charges but I think it is based (as others have said) if they are the 3rd or 4th person in the cabin and their age. I would assume length of cruise plays a part in the price as well. Not sure if type of cabin makes a difference or not.

We are sailing next month on the Fantasy and for a 7 day cruise our 1 year old granddaughters who are the 3rd person in their respective cabins are paying as follows for a Cat 9D on Deck 7 and Deck 8:

Today's Date: 24-Nov-2015
Currency: Rates/Payments are in US Dollars and subject to change
Guest 1 Voyage Fare: $2,177.00
Guest 2 Voyage Fare: $2,177.00
Guest 3 Voyage Fare: $686.00
Vacation Protection Plan: NOT INCLUDED
Taxes, Fees, & Port Expenses: $307.05

So the 1 year olds' fares are $686.00 each and I would assume port fees are about $102 ($307.05 divided by 3 guests)

Hope this helps.

MJ

We are booked on the Disney Dream 4 night in November with two cabins.

In the first cabin there are 3 people (2 adults and a child-age 4) The cost for the 4 year old is $599.04

The second cabin there are 3 people ( 2 adults and a baby - 9 months at the time of sailing). The cost for a 9 month old is $349.52

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I just booked a cruise with 2 adults & 2 "babies"- my DS who will be 2.5 & my DD who will be 13 months by then. They were $420 each for a week long caribbean cruise in an inside room. Definitely NOT free. Kinda annoying since we still have to pay for childcare as well.

I just booked a cruise with 2 adults & 2 "babies"- my DS who will be 2.5 & my DD who will be 13 months by then. They were $420 each for a week long caribbean cruise in an inside room. Definitely NOT free. Kinda annoying since we still have to pay for childcare as well.

Ditto this... $400 is extreme! They don't even eat much and definitely don't enjoy the shows! Atleast mine didnt.... :crazy2:

Nope. You pay for everyone.

We are a family of 5 sailing on the Magic. You either need 2 staterooms or have to go for a family veranda. It was actually cheaper for us to do 2 inside staterooms than 1 family veranda. Even with the double occupancy rule.

We are paying full adult fare for a 9 yr old (+1 adult) in stateroom 1.
AND
Full adult fare for a 6 yr old (+1 adult) and finally a discount of child rate for the 2 year old in stateroom 2.

I'll just toss in - while they "don't eat much" or "don't enjoy the shows", they do take a bed (lifeboat space), food is provided (and can be pureed, if you wish), and I've seen lots of little ones quite enamored with the lights and color of the shows. As well as the splash areas are just for them.

They also require bedding changes, towels, water, a bed, diaper genie. Not to mention the clean up involved.

And there are included (not extra cost) toddler activities onboard.

Agree. In addition, childcare is an individual choice with a fee just like Palo.

Very valid points but when you stop and realize that all of the above is totally free at WDW or any other hotel & restaurant in the US I think we're allowed to be a little disappointed that the fee is so high in comparison. I can take my two children to WDW for free and have everything the cruise offers AND MORE for free. I do understand that some of the fee is port fees & taxes. I'm not knocking DCL, they're a business first. I understand that. And I've sailed quite my fair share of DCL cruise, so it's clear I'm a fan and willing to pay, but I'm not gonna not voice my disappointment that the charge is so high vs free at WDW where my children put much more of a dent into their bottom line. Not to mention you are guaranteed childcare hours while I can only pre-reserve 18 hours months in advance only if there's availability and then hope once I'm on board there's more availability so that we can go on an excursion since most don't allow under 5 to attend or go to Palo. And those splash areas that are overrun with big kids, big kids that ARE allowed in the pools...don't get me started on that. That stings a bit.

Last edited:
Of course, you should express your disappointment if you wish. I think it is a public service of sort to let people know. I for one had no idea as our children were all adults by the time we started sailing. However, I think it is probably apples and oranges to compare it to WDW which can handle tens of thousands of people in the parks and resorts. The ships have much less capacity so a singe two year old taking the space of an adult who might otherwise book that berth does affect DCL's bottom line.

I do know that DCL offers free transportation for babies to/from the port when their adults book. There is a little straw for you. :)

I can take my two children to WDW for free and have everything the cruise offers AND MORE for free.
At 13 months and 2.5 years, all their meals and drinks would be included. You wouldn't be able to get that at a hotel or WDW for free. Plus, the parks vs. the cruise line is not really an apples to apples comparison. Yes you can see the characters at both but the lines are a lot longer at the parks. Yes, there's more rides at WDW but it's not an equal comparison to traveling to caribbean islands. They are different experiences with different costs associated with each one.

I understand the disappointment and at first glance, it may not make sense but unlike the parks, which rarely operate at full capacity, a cruise line does have to at least try to fill the ship at each sailing. Each person, whether they eat or take part in the activities or not, takes one of those passenger spots that DCL could collect adult fare on. I work with infants and toddlers and can tell you they often create a bigger mess and are more work than their older counterparts. My liability insurance for my business is triple what it would be if I only enrolled older children, plus there's the port fees and taxes, which are out of Disney's control. The small hourly rate the nursery charges does not even begin to cover the costs associated with running an infant/toddler nursery. So even though it may not seem like it, it does cost DCL to have even the youngest passengers on board, which is why they charge. I'm merely trying to add some context and not saying you can't be bummed about having to pay that much for kids that young. I'm bummed I have to pay adult fare for my 13 year old son now even though he doesn't go to any of the shows, refuses to go to the kids club, doesn't like the characters and the only activities he takes part in outside of swimming is bingo, which costs us a fortune.

Cruise ships need to make some much money per head, without regard to age, to cover their fixed costs. A one year old isn't going to be running up a bar tab, won't be getting spa treatments, probably isn't going on a lot of excursions or any of the other profit centers that the cruise line really needs to make a profit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter