• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FAO CMs: Most Coveted In-Park Jobs

As you can see from my sig, my DD spent her first CP this past fall working as a CM at HM. When we visited, I chatted with dozens of CM's in all the parks, and mentioned to almost every one of them that my DD was working as a maid at the Mansion, and every single CM told me that she was VERY lucky, that working at HM was the most coveted role for CP kids. She loved her time there, and the wonderful folks she worked with, and I have to say I'm extremely proud of her, because when she decided to put in for a second CP, she purposefully chose to leave HM so she could see a different work process, even though they would have loved for her to stay.

KC:hippie:

I am a CP [college-program] and the most desired seem to be..:

Bibbidi Bobbity Boutique
Photopass Photographer
Attractions: haunted mansion and tower of terror
attractions with spiel: KILIMANJARO SAFARI
Character performer

Years ago in college I worked with a girl who did one of the dwarves costumes in parades, which I know she was not fond of. She was an acting/dance major, and she was trying to get in as Snow White. She said it was very competitive at that time. I lost touch with her, I do hope she got the job at some point, as she was absolutely perfect for it, both in appearance and disposition. She really would not have even needed a wig or much make up.
(btw, if she happens to be on here, Hi Micki! )

Years ago in college I worked with a girl who did one of the dwarves costumes in parades, which I know she was not fond of. She was an acting/dance major, and she was trying to get in as Snow White. She said it was very competitive at that time. I lost touch with her, I do hope she got the job at some point, as she was absolutely perfect for it, both in appearance and disposition. She really would not have even needed a wig or much make up.
(btw, if she happens to be on here, Hi Micki! )

The only "problem" with this story is that Snow White has to be over 5'4" and I'm sure to be a dwarf (no pun intended) you have to be under 5'.

My niece wanted to be snow white and she didn't make it because she was 1/2" too short.

hm. she was pretty short, and this was like 20 years ago... not sure how the rules have changed. She might have been just over or under one of those requirements.
edited to add: As far as I knew, she did not get the Snow White job when I knew her. Maybe it was the height thing? She was pretty short.

From the outside looking in Kilimanjaro Safari definitely has the most appeal, with Jungle Cruise and Railroad conductor trailing behind. As a nerd, Star Tours could be fun as well. And of course, like so many have already said, Haunted Mansion would be wonderful because you don't have to be "friendly." As someone who's had to unwillingly put on a happy face in the world of retail, this is a major perk.

From the outside looking in Kilimanjaro Safari definitely has the most appeal, with Jungle Cruise and Railroad conductor trailing behind. As a nerd, Star Tours could be fun as well. And of course, like so many have already said, Haunted Mansion would be wonderful because you don't have to be "friendly." As someone who's had to unwillingly put on a happy face in the world of retail, this is a major perk.

At HM, you don't have to be 'cheery' friendly, but honestly, it's pretty hard to not be at times, according to my DD. She said one of the hardest parts of the job was when kids would be afraid - she frequently went down on one knee and consoled a scared little child, dropping the 'gloomy' expression. But her favorite was when she got to get into the makeup for the parties:

dsc04714.jpg

hm. she was pretty short, and this was like 20 years ago... not sure how the rules have changed. She might have been just over or under one of those requirements.
edited to add: As far as I knew, she did not get the Snow White job when I knew her. Maybe it was the height thing? She was pretty short.

My niece also would have been the perfect SW but like I said just a little too short.

Disney is very strict when it comes to height requirements like Tinker Bell and Mickie or Minnie must be under 5' so Mickey's "friend's" real voice would be higher than you would expect.;)

As I side note, the Queen of Heart's friend would have a voice much lower that you would expect. ;)

I think they must have some serious try outs for those jobs, because it seems like some of those characters, the people for them are perfect. The Rosetta we saw last time we went was so absolutely perfectly in character. DD was in awe.

I think they must have some serious try outs for those jobs, because it seems like some of those characters, the people for them are perfect. The Rosetta we saw last time we went was so absolutely perfectly in character. DD was in awe.

There are threads here about being a face character but yes first they measure you and then you go through try outs like for a Broadway musical with dance movement classes. Then you have to go to school for you character. (note this is info that I have gleaned from here and a few conversations with my niece, i have no first hand knowledge)

I knew someone who's daughter was Cinderella in Disney on ice. So not only did she have to skate she had be the same Cinderella as you would see in a park and to learn things like how to sign as Cinderella.

When I was in DW for Spring Break last March, me and a friend went to Disney auditions in the costuming/pickup type building close to a non-Disney hotel (but it was still property).

When we went it, about 180 people were already there (I was number 183). A man, who I suspect also plays Prince Charming because he was oh-so handsome, measured our height. I knew I could never be a character because I am 5'9", but he called out 5'6" as my height (I guess since that is the cut-off and he wanted to let me try out anyway ... Disney magic even behind the scenes).

They told us we could not take any photos then broke us into groups of 20. We went into a dance-type studio with mirrors and a sweet women played Disney tunes and we changed lines of 5 every few seconds. A girl from our group of 20 was pulled out (I suspect for Tinkerbell).

After our group was finished and headed back to the main room, a girl from the first few groups had been pulled and was doing a costume check as Sleeping Beauty (I know she wasn't a character already because Disney staff people were taking her photo and altering makeup/dress/etc.)

Either way, I had a blast at tryouts and get to say I tried it! :woohoo:

The woman that played Cinderella's wicked stepmother on our last trip was spectacular. She would make openly disparaging comments to us about our DD3 -- of course, those comments were "disparaging" because she was suggesting that DD3 was very much like the "hated" Cinderella, so they were actually quite flattering. Sort of the opposite of a backhanded compliment. She was a riot, I could have watched her interact with guests all day!

I am interested that you like being a character attendant. I always thought this would be a very thankless job. I have seen so many of these CMs get yelled at when their kids don't get the experience they hoped for the minute they expected them to have it. You must have a lot of patience.

It's really not that bad! In 6 years, I can count on one hand the amount of bad experiences I've had. The good moments far outweigh the bad ones.

the most dreaded job was the two "hosts" outside of "The Land" building... "

Heh. I worked at the Land, and yes, we all despised those positions. Whenever I'd tell someone where I worked on my program, they'd either laugh or say "I'm sorry". It got somewhat depressing after awhile. The most coveted jobs (in attractions, at least) seemed to be ToT, the Haunted Mansion, the Great Movie Ride, and Kilamanjaro Safaris. Although I did hear that there's a crazy waiting list to get into Universe of Energy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter