• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FANTASY Wet Deck Warning

Now, it's possible that DCL might have the medical costs onboard waived, but only as a PR move, not accepting any liability.

The health center is run by a 3rd party independent contractor (so I was told when my DD was in there daily on our 1st cruise), so I'd imagine that there'd be some negotiating going on for the costs to be "taken off" (ie DCL would pay them).

As I understand it, the decision to install faux decking material and not teak has everything to do with with cost savings/maintenance and nothing to do with fire safety. Teak, as woods go, is inherently non-flammable (which is why it has been used on the decks of boats and ships for decades and decades) and I further understand that there are teak oils that can be applied to it that make the teak decking even more fire resistant.

For all of the technological marvels on the new ships, it is pretty surprising that someone in charge of flooring chose a product that turns itself into an ice rink when wet!

(As an aside, the Wonder and Magic do use what appears to be a similar faux product on portions of its decking - it's not all teak wood. But the areas right around all of the pools, arguably the most slippery when exposed to water, are teak wood. The only time I ever lost footing on the Wonder and Magic was on the same faux wood flooring.)

My father had a nasty fall by the family/mickey pool on fantasy. The CM's assisted him right away and told them they would check on him later. He was left with a nasty bruise and sore knee but luckily nothing bigger. CM's never checked up on him. I have a feeling this happens quite frequently

Part of the problem is with the hot tubs in the family section. They are near the Mickey slide and near the coke stations and plenty of kids are in there splashing around which water spills out. The same is true near the Mickey pool. I have called 2 times on 2 different sailings! We hate the pool area on those ships and try to cruise the classics for that reason. We love the pools on the classic ship and the hot tubs but the ones on the Dream we just do not like.

Just got off the Fantasy on August 17 after a splendid, Eastern Caribbean cruise; however, all guests need to be extremely aware of the slippery decks in and around the pool areas.

Unlike the Magic and Wonder, whose decks are made from real teak wood, the Fantasy (and apparently the Dream) utilize a faux (fake) composite decking material that resembles teak, but isn't. Real teak wood is extremely absorbant and lends itself to sure-footedness. The problem is that it is very expensive and and needs more maintenance (stripping and teak wood oil with occasional grout replacement). In an effort to avoid those maintenance costs, and the expense of teak wood, DCL installed a fabricated material when it built the new ships, which is very, very slippery when even just a bit wet.

We spoke to a couple of crew members around the Quiet Cove pool whose jobs involve the constant squeegeeing of the decks and the placement of yellow "Slippery when wet" signs around all the pools. Apparently, there have been a high number of slips and falls, some serious (broken bones and a medical evacuation recently). The crew told us that the areas around the Donald and Mickey pools have been sanded in an effort to improve traction, but the faux nature of the decking material does not lend itself to this.

In any event, exercise extreme caution in and around all the pools. DW slipped twice on the stairs between decks 11 and 12 (thankfully caught herself) and a small boy fell just outside the Donald pool and sustained some dental trauma - as reported).

Crew said that the classic ships with the real teak wood do not have this ongoing problem.

You're also not suppose to run on the deck or up and down the stairs. That will help keep people from falling. :thumbsup2

Mike

You're also not suppose to run on the deck or up and down the stairs. That will help keep people from falling. :thumbsup2

Mike

Although certainly a true general statement about running on the decks, Mike, guests are slipping and falling simply walking or stepping out of the pools. My DW slipped walking slowly down the stairs, after having seen the yellow "slippery when wet" signs and having already discussed the slick conditions. It literally takes your feet out from under you without warning.

In addition, DCL has used the same faux decking surface on the jogging/promenade track on deck four, where running is certainly permitted if not encouraged. A jogger slipped in an area that was only slightly misted over from the maintenance crew power washing the glass partitions on the railings.

Part of the problem is with the hot tubs in the family section. They are near the Mickey slide and near the coke stations and plenty of kids are in there splashing around which water spills out. The same is true near the Mickey pool. I have called 2 times on 2 different sailings! We hate the pool area on those ships and try to cruise the classics for that reason. We love the pools on the classic ship and the hot tubs but the ones on the Dream we just do not like.

How are they different?

Although certainly a true general statement about running on the decks, Mike, guests are slipping and falling simply walking or stepping out of the pools. My DW slipped walking slowly down the stairs, after having seen the yellow "slippery when wet" signs and having already discussed the slick conditions. It literally takes your feet out from under you without warning.

In addition, DCL has used the same faux decking surface on the jogging/promenade track on deck four, where running is certainly permitted if not encouraged. A jogger slipped in an area that was only slightly misted over from the maintenance crew power washing the glass partitions on the railings.

On my 2 cruises on the newer ships my family and I had no problems. I did see plenty of people running, and not just on the running/walking track.

Nevertheless, I hope DCL gets it resolved and no one else ever falls on the deck or down the stairs.

Mike

If the fall is bad enough to need medical attention who is responsible for the bill? If this is a known hazard area it seems unfair that it would be billed to the guest or their medical insurance. Disney should be liable.

IF you read the cruise contract that you HAD to sign before boarding the ship --- It basically says, that if ANYTHING goes wrong on your cruise, it is the guests fault and they will be held liable. If you get sick - its your fault, if someone on deck 8 forward gets sick, its your fault, the engines stop work, DCL has the right to ask you to pay for repairs, same if the ship sinks, etc etc etc. And it specifically says the DCL is NOT liable for ANYTHING that happens on the ship.

IF you read the cruise contract that you HAD to sign before boarding the ship --- It basically says, that if ANYTHING goes wrong on your cruise, it is the guests fault and they will be held liable. If you get sick - its your fault, if someone on deck 8 forward gets sick, its your fault, the engines stop work, DCL has the right to ask you to pay for repairs, same if the ship sinks, etc etc etc. And it specifically says the DCL is NOT liable for ANYTHING that happens on the ship.

It doesn't say those things, but I suppose your post was an attempt at humor. :confused3

Mike

So...then maybe that's when the Disney travel insurance kicks in? I was wondering why it covers up to $10,000 of medical when most people are probably covered by their own medical insurance anyway.

As I understand it, the decision to install faux decking material and not teak has everything to do with with cost savings/maintenance and nothing to do with fire safety. Teak, as woods go, is inherently non-flammable (which is why it has been used on the decks of boats and ships for decades and decades) and I further understand that there are teak oils that can be applied to it that make the teak decking even more fire resistant.

For all of the technological marvels on the new ships, it is pretty surprising that someone in charge of flooring chose a product that turns itself into an ice rink when wet!

(As an aside, the Wonder and Magic do use what appears to be a similar faux product on portions of its decking - it's not all teak wood. But the areas right around all of the pools, arguably the most slippery when exposed to water, are teak wood. The only time I ever lost footing on the Wonder and Magic was on the same faux wood flooring.)

It is a savings and maintenance thing, some vessels use similar decking as the Dream class. There is also a limited amount of Teak available on the market these days.

However TEAK WILL BURN and quite well if given a good ignition source. Todays IMO and SOLAS rules are slowly but surely requiring the removal of almost anything that will burn.

They used it on ships because it resisted rot so well!

AKK

It is a savings and maintenance thing, some vessels use similar decking as the Dream class. There is also a limited amount of Teak available on the market these days.

However TEAK WILL BURN and quite well if given a good ignition source. Todays IMO and SOLAS rules are slowly but surely requiring the removal of almost anything that will burn.

They used it on ships because it resisted rot so well!

AKK

It certainly does resist rot, but its resistance to all elements and non-slip properties are clearly one of the reasons that it is a preferred nautical decking material.

Interesting about IMO and SOLAS rules. The crew members I chatted with said that the Wonder's and Magic's teak decks are regularly treated with a product manufactured by Bristol that makes them fire retardant. In any event, I wonder how the IMO and SOLAS rules affect the use of all the bedding and carpeting in the staterooms and public areas, not to mention all of the wood bars and accents in places like O'Gill's and Meridian, Remy and Palo. I would think that those areas and materials (close to a kitchen) would be much more susceptible to fire than open decks near a swimming pool.

Thank you for this information. We will be on the fantasy in December 2014. Note to self find some flip flops with big treads on them may be what I need.

It certainly does resist rot, but its resistance to all elements and non-slip properties are clearly one of the reasons that it is a preferred nautical decking material.

Totally agree!

Interesting about IMO and SOLAS rules. The crew members I chatted with said that the Wonder's and Magic's teak decks are regularly treated with a product manufactured by Bristol that makes them fire retardant. In any event, I wonder how the IMO and SOLAS rules affect the use of all the bedding and carpeting in the staterooms and public areas, not to mention all of the wood bars and accents in places like O'Gill's and Meridian, Remy and Palo. I would think that those areas and materials (close to a kitchen) would be much more susceptible to fire than open decks near a swimming pool.

I agree as well., that is why I said *ALMOST*.

As new fire preventation materials come on the market, they are incorporated into the rules. The last I heard, (HEY Truck!, your the fire expert, any better details?)I do not remember the %, but I believe its about 2% of the vessels building materials can be wood, cloth and other like materials. Teak is a very dense, oily wood which is why its somewhat fire resistant and doesn't rot. If the Teak is treated, better yet!

AKK

New flip flops is one of the items on my cruise packing list :). Every time we cruise, I run to Target and buy the cheap flip flops. Usually they are 2 for $5 and they are perfect. Never had a slip since I started purposely buying new ones for each trip.

I think that a lot of decorative items we think are wood, are not, or are a very thin veneer. Disney is a master of "Trompe l'oeil" (deceive the eye) painting and finishing. There have been times where even after I have touched a surface and my fingers and brain KNOW that it's flat, that my eyes could not be convinced that it was not 3d.

They used a cement composite for the top deck and painted it to look like a natural wood deck. I thought it was strange as other newer ships I have been on around the pool used the nonslip foam type material around the pools. On the classic ships they used it around the Mickey pool. I do have to say though the top decks on the newer ships are the main reason why we will not sail on them. The pools are too small and the layout design doesn't make sense the adult area is also way to small.

I do have to say though I slipped more than once on our last cruise as the stairs are the worst when wet.

I do have to say though the top decks on the newer ships are the main reason why we will not sail on them. The pools are too small and the layout design doesn't make sense the adult area is also way to small.

I do have to say though I slipped more than once on our last cruise as the stairs are the worst when wet.

Not to get too far off track, but I totally agreed with your opinion of the new ships when I first sailed on the Dream last year - adult pool area too small for the ship. I have, however, changed my opinion after sailing on the Fantasy a few weeks ago.

The adult pool area does accommodate the guests much better than I remembered, and a big part of this has to do with the wonderful Satellite Falls area that was put on the Fantasy up on Deck 12. Absolutely a great wading/relaxing pool. Although somewhat susceptible to higher winds because of its location, for the majority of the 7-day trip, the area was perfect - plus it accommodates so many guests.

The whole adult pool area on the Fantasy grew on me and I now like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter