FANTASY Wet Deck Warning

Empress Room

Mouseketeer
Just got off the Fantasy on August 17 after a splendid, Eastern Caribbean cruise; however, all guests need to be extremely aware of the slippery decks in and around the pool areas.

Unlike the Magic and Wonder, whose decks are made from real teak wood, the Fantasy (and apparently the Dream) utilize a faux (fake) composite decking material that resembles teak, but isn't. Real teak wood is extremely absorbant and lends itself to sure-footedness. The problem is that it is very expensive and and needs more maintenance (stripping and teak wood oil with occasional grout replacement). In an effort to avoid those maintenance costs, and the expense of teak wood, DCL installed a fabricated material when it built the new ships, which is very, very slippery when even just a bit wet.

We spoke to a couple of crew members around the Quiet Cove pool whose jobs involve the constant squeegeeing of the decks and the placement of yellow "Slippery when wet" signs around all the pools. Apparently, there have been a high number of slips and falls, some serious (broken bones and a medical evacuation recently). The crew told us that the areas around the Donald and Mickey pools have been sanded in an effort to improve traction, but the faux nature of the decking material does not lend itself to this.

In any event, exercise extreme caution in and around all the pools. DW slipped twice on the stairs between decks 11 and 12 (thankfully caught herself) and a small boy fell just outside the Donald pool and sustained some dental trauma - as reported).

Crew said that the classic ships with the real teak wood do not have this ongoing problem.

DW, DS and I just got back from the same cruise and DW slipped a few times going to the drink station. I did see CM's constantly putting out signs and squeegeeing the deck.

Although cost is a big factor, I wonder if the faux material isn't also more durable. From what I understand, the decking on the classic ships has had to be replaced at times due to wear and tear. However, agreed that care should be exercised, last thing anyone wants to have happen is someone to slip and get hurt.

We were on the Fantasy August 3/10 ,an elderly gentleman by satellite falls slipped on the deck. He was seen to by medical later on the cruise my DW and I saw him bandaged with broken fingers.

We were on Fantasy on 7/20 - 7/27. Dd 11 slipped twice and d nephew 14 slipped once. I almost slipped once too even I was very careful while walking there. Brother-in-laws also said he saw a couple people slipped as well. I hope they will do something about it before something really bad happens there.

I can't seam to find the exact product DCL used for the newer ships. But it's essentially just painted steel.

The older ships got all their teak decks from TeakDecking Systems. I wish they had gone with real teak on the newer ships, but I understand that it would be very very expensive and require a lot of maintenance. pirate:

and since FIRE is one of the biggest safety hazards on any ship, the amount of "wood" allowed is a small percentage.

On the new ship I slipped several times (never fell) and my flip flops would "suction" to the deck at times then "slide along" - this caused me to almost fall several times. They really need to come up with something better for the pool decks. The yellow warning "Slippery When Wet / Piso Mojato" signs are more than a little lame for the potential seriousness of the issue.

I took a bad fall from slipping on the deck coming off Aquaduck last year on the Fantasy. nothing broken but some nasty bruises also noted that the area around the pools was slippery. I hope they address this in the future

I slipped and fell on the Wonder in the pool area (no injury). I don't recall the decking being real teak but some synthetic stuff. Seemed like the same material was used on the Dream. I was shocked at how slippery the area was!

I have slipped on both the Wonder & Magic, but oddly never had that problem on the Dream. Maybe I was just being more cautious on the Dream. I made sure to take baby steps when I saw the deck was wet. :D

Dont be surprised if the faux wood is put onto the Magic and Wonder. If I had to guess, the new ships got it due to a SOLAS rule, and the older ships probably arent far behind. MSC is looking hard at the materials on ships and just about anything that is flammable is being removed. Last time I looked, they were looking at the open upper decks of all ships, as to what could potentially cause problems, and new rules were being considered and implemented.

And my wife slipped and fell on the Wonder, after a small child plugged a water jet in the play area with her finger, and the water landed on the deck.

I took a nasty fall by the Mickey pool on the Dream last April. I was barefoot, hit a wet spot, fell backwards and my bad knee buckled. If I actually still had an intact ACL, I am sure it would have snapped. When I went on the Fantasy in June I used flip flops with a real aggressive tread. I assumed it would act like a tire and prevent me from hydro planing again. It worked!

Now you tell me!! I slipped and landed flat on my left knee on our June Fantasy cruise. Took out a Caution Slippery When Wet sign and scared my family a poor CM, who was standing right there, half to death.

I slipped and fell on the dream back when the drea was just a few months old... I had sandles on and were very very slick I have found that water shoes do help this alot atleast it did me

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I was on the Fantasy in December and I constantly saw them squeegeeing and putting up the yellow signs. In fact the CM responsible for squeegeeing never left the donald pool! Now I know why.

We experienced the slippery deck on the Dream on our last cruise wearing flip flops. For our Fantasy cruise I bought water shoes with a tennis shoe tread type bottom so I'm hoping that helps!! My DS also slipped and hurt his arm on the mini golf course.

If the fall is bad enough to need medical attention who is responsible for the bill? If this is a known hazard area it seems unfair that it would be billed to the guest or their medical insurance. Disney should be liable.

I was on the fantasy a few weeks ago, the amount of little kids probably under the age of 6 running to the water slide or pool that slipped and fell was to many to count if I are lunch out near the pool there were at least 3,4 kids down every time, thankfully they all got up when I was there

If the fall is bad enough to need medical attention who is responsible for the bill? If this is a known hazard area it seems unfair that it would be billed to the guest or their medical insurance. Disney should be liable.

I'd say you still have to pay your medical expenses. As to whether DCL would be liable, you'd probably have to sue, and prove that they knew there was a safety issue.

Now, it's possible that DCL might have the medical costs onboard waived, but only as a PR move, not accepting any liability.

For all of you that have slipped, do you think buying those pads that women put on there high heels would help if you put them on the bottom of flip flops to stop the slipping? I think they are traction pads or something. Had rencent surgery on both wrists and know i would never be able to catch myself without doing serious damage to them again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter