• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fantasy or Magic for March 2015

Chrisey

Mouseketeer
Hello!
I am debating between the two 7 day carribeean cruises in March.. Fantasy or Magic.

Price isn't an issue, and while I do like the ports on the Magic a bit better, our main goal is to spend time on the ship. I am going with my elderly mom and a 6 and 7 year old, one with a physical disability... so port adventures aren't for us.

We did the Disney Dream this summer and loved it, but found it crowded at times.

So far here are the pros and cons I have for each ship... would love some advice on helping me choose.

Magic:
Pros
-can get a inside stateroom on deck 6
-less crowded
-like ports
-Castaway Cay (only port we really want to get off on) will be less crowded
Cons
-no detective game
-less to do on ship?
-heard that shows and animators palate weren't as good

Fantasy
Pros
-lots to do
-heard good shows
Cons
-room on deck 2
-crowded

Would love some advice!

Hello!
I am debating between the two 7 day carribeean cruises in March.. Fantasy or Magic.

Price isn't an issue, and while I do like the ports on the Magic a bit better, our main goal is to spend time on the ship. I am going with my elderly mom and a 6 and 7 year old, one with a physical disability... so port adventures aren't for us.

We did the Disney Dream this summer and loved it, but found it crowded at times.

So far here are the pros and cons I have for each ship... would love some advice on helping me choose.

Magic:
Pros
-can get a inside stateroom on deck 6
-less crowded
-like ports
-Castaway Cay (only port we really want to get off on) will be less crowded
Cons
-no detective game
-less to do on ship?
-heard that shows and animators palate weren't as good

Fantasy
Pros
-lots to do
-heard good shows
Cons
-room on deck 2
-crowded

Would love some advice!
After doing the larger ships the past couple of years we are returning to the Magic in March. Cozier ship plus it was just refurbished / re-imagineered so that is a pro. We have sailed all 4 ships and are looking forward to return to one of the smaller ships if that helps any. We have also heard that Animators is great after being redone as it combines the original black & white transformation (that we liked better than the Dream & Fantasy) with the interactive drawings coming to life that the Fantasy has.

Hope this helps and either way is a DIS Cruise.

We've sailed on both ships and prefer the Fantasy. In addition to the shows being better we also preferred the dining rooms and Europe themed cocktail lounges on the Fantasy. We also loved the Midship Detective Agency and the Aquaduck . We also actually felt more crowded on the Magic because the atrium is smaller and the deck with the pools doesn't have as much room.

I'm sailing on the MAGIC for 7-days next month and can't wait to experience the re-imagined ship. I've sailed on the DREAM a few times and the WONDER was our first Disney Cruise. I love all the Disney ships and each has their pros and cons. We are two adults with no children and I find the adult areas (especially the pool) much better on the smaller ships. On the DREAM (and FANTASY) the adult pool is very small and there are people always walking through the area. Also to me at least the DREAM felt much more crowded than the WONDER overall.

My favorite DCL show is actually on the WONDER which is Toy Story. I can't wait to see the shows on MAGIC. It's funny to read that people prefer the shows on FANTASY because most of what I have read is that people feel the shows on FANTASY are more of an afterthought and that DCL sort of ran out of ideas. Don't know how true that is because I haven't seen them.

Good luck with your choice! I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. One last thing to remember is that cabins are slightly larger on the MAGIC but no Magical Porthole if you're going for an inside. If I were going for an inside, I think FANTASY would win out because of that fun porthole.

I forgot to mention one other deciding factor in my last post.

For me at least I love to try new things. I don't know if you have sailed on any DCL ships in the past, but if so I would recommend trying whichever class of ship you have not tried before. So if you have already sailed on the Dream Class, give the Magic Class a try or vice versa. If you have sailed on both classes, then go for the ship you have not sailed before.

Spice it up a bit and make it interesting!

We have done both Fantasy and the reimagined Magic and will be heading back to the Fantasy for our next cruise (Feb 2015). The way we have described it to others is that the Fantasy feels like a moving resort whereas the Magic feels like a cruise ship to us. They are both very nice and have their own charms but we prefer the moving resort feel of the Fantasy. While there may be more people in total, there is more space and are more places for all those people to be. We felt the Magic was just a little bit crowded at times in certain places. Restaurants and theaters are obviously designed for the number of people in them so don't feel crowded, but the smaller public spaces felt smaller to us. We are happy to have had the Magic experience, but are looking forward to heading back to the Fantasy!

Which ship has more port days? Since you are staying on the ship, you are really going to get a lot out of those days, so that may be a factor.

Do you think your group is more likely to do the Aquadunk or the Aquaduck? That may also help you decide.

The smaller feel of the Magic is really nice, but if you are going to stay on the ship for everything (except CC), then you will have plenty of time to experience either ship without the crowds. We stayed on the Fantasy for every port (except CC) and had the pools and the Aquaduck practically to ourselves.

On the other hand, if someone in your party has mobility issues, the Magic smaller size makes it easier to get around.

ive done old magic, new magic, and fantasy and much prefer the fantasy. many more adult activities and much easier to get around. i forgot how small those magic elevators were

Ok, so I have taken in all the info I can gather and here is my updated pros and cons list. Any new advice or votes for which one I should pick based on this:

Magic
Pros:
-cheaper
-larger room
-while we prefer staying on ship, there are ports and activities we would enjoy if we chose to
-we did Dream, so this would be different
-superhero area of kids club
-main dining
Cons:
-less features on ship (magic porthole, detective game, mini golf)

Fantasy
Pros
-lots to do (mini golf, detective game...both of which the kids loved) that is not on Magic
-magic porthole
-better pirates night (which the kids loved)
-we did the Dream, loved it, so will likely love this
Cons
-second dining (not a huge concern as we can waitlist for main dining, and even if we have to stick with second can just get a snack around 5pm)

Hello! I read your thread because we are also struggling with this decision. We have enjoyed 3 DCL cruises: 4 night Dream twice and 7 night Fantasy once. I think you'll love the pace of the 7 night, so you're already ahead!

Although we've never tried the Classic ships, from all I've read, you can't make a poor choice.

At this point, I have the Fantasy booked. Why? Well, I'm interested in a bit of a re-do...nothing that was DCL's doing. When we cruised last year, our son had recently been discharged from hospital after 3.5 months of inpatient rehab after major orthopedic surgery. It was wonderful for our family to be back together (I stayed with him in hospital), someone else was cooking, there was lots to do on the ship.

Our son has cerebral palsy and has mobility challenges that were very significant at time of cruising. We had brought our son's powerchair as this was the most comfortable and appropriate seating solution for him at that point. However, it really limited our options off the ship. (This year I am planning ahead and will rent him a manual chair to be delivered to the ship so we can have more choice when ashore.)

The other reason I chose the Fantasy is that on the Magic, the only accessible cabin I could find had a white wall verandah - and a verandah is a huge requirement for my hubby! I just didn't think he would be happy with a whitewall rather than clear.

Good luck with your choice!

Twinmum, Thank you so much for sharing, we were coming off a similar experience when we cruised a few weeks ago... my son who has Arthrgryposis had surgery in the Spring, we booked the cruise thinking he would be well enough but ended up having complications.

I am hoping to take the boys back in March so we can have a better experience. We loved our cruise, but know that because my lil one wasn't feeling at his best, it could be even better, and especially more enjoyable for him.

Chrisey - You have a great list of Pros and Cons, but the biggest "pro" is that you will be on a Disney Cruise! I think since you've done the Dream, you may find the Fantasy very similar. The nice thing about the "classic" Disney ships is that they are smaller and less crowded. The Magic has gotten rave reviews after its extreme makeover. That one would be my vote. Your kids will have a blast no matter what! Happy planning.

- Jason

Thank you everyone!

We decided on the Fantasy.

I chose the Fantasy because of who I am travelling with. I think getting off at ports will be difficult for us and many have described the Fantasy as resort-like.

The kids enjoyed mini golf and the detective game on the Dream, as well as the Aquaduck, and if we are spending a lot of time on the ship, I think these activities will entertain them.

Congrats on making the decision! If only all of life involved such "great" choices to choose between! I know you wouldn't have gone wrong with either choice, but I think you'll really enjoy the moving resort feel and options of the Fantasy! Have a wonderful trip!

Thank you everyone!

We decided on the Fantasy.

I chose the Fantasy because of who I am travelling with. I think getting off at ports will be difficult for us and many have described the Fantasy as resort-like.

The kids enjoyed mini golf and the detective game on the Dream, as well as the Aquaduck, and if we are spending a lot of time on the ship, I think these activities will entertain them.

This discussion helped me take action - we're booked on the Fantasy in March as well! I think you'll be pleased...but there really wasn't a "bad" option here in any case!

We prefer the Fantasy. I did not feel it is crowded at all. The kids loved the Magic Playfloor too!!

I am now torn again. So after saying we were going to go Fantasy in my post above we ended up booking the Magic because of the price difference and availability of an accessible room.

Just today an accessible room with a comparable price opened up on the Fantasy, so I'm thinking of switching over to the Fantasy. The Saturday to Saturday works much better for us than the Sunday to Sunday.

The only thing holding me back is that next year at that time (our Spring Break), the Magic is only doing shorter cruises and the Fantasy is doing the Eastern again.

I have no idea if we will even be able to go again next year, so not sure if it is really wise to decide based on that.

Would love some advice or opinions. Anyone else making changes to 2015 cruises based on 2016 cruises?

I faced the exact same choice and ultimately my children all requested the Magic over the fantasy. We loved our Dream cruise too so it was a hard decision.

I would say stick with the Magic! Its different from the Dream, which you have done. It has the awesome avengers academy which looks amazing especially for young boys! The most recent navigators for the Magic Western look great as well. Lots of things to do each day! I am really excited about the new animator's palette with the black and white transformation. And less people at Castaway Cay will be wonderful!

The Fantasy always does week long Carribean cruises so you could always do that another year. The Magic tends to vary more. We figure some day we will do an Eastern when our kids are bigger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter