Fantasy kids club for a 4 year old

melaniejh1016

Mouseketeer
This will be our first Disney cruise. We cruised the royal carribean liberty of the seas in march and my daughter loved the kids club but on those ships they have it divided by age so she was only with 3-5 year olds. I'm concerned how this will work out on the fantasy where she will be 4 1/2 with a group of 3-10 year olds. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

I haven't been on the Fantasy yet but believe it is very similar to the Dream. The Oceaneers Club/Lab space is quite large - the "Club" is geared more towards the younger kids and the "Lab" space for the older, though both are open to all ages 3-12. The kids can join formal programming being offered - which may separate kids by age simply due to interest - or amuse themselves in one of the many areas in the Club. I don't think you should worry about your 4 year old spending too much time with 10-12 year olds. Their interests are different and that in itself will be a group divider.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were on the Wonder with DD who had just turned 3 a few months earlier. I was worried about the same - but it turned out well.

The first few days she hung out with the other kids her age and had fun. But she had the most fun the last evening - she had buddied up with another young boy about her age, and a couple "older" girls were helping them do stuff. When we walked in to pick her up, it was the first time she said "No, mommy, come back later!". The older girls came running up to me telling me "Your daughter is SO adorable!". They were maybe 8-10 years old. She enjoyed getting the attention from the older girls and they really had fun.

The place is supervised by counselors - so I'm sure they watch out for older kids bullying (I hate using that term these days, but you know what I mean - just not letting the little kids do stuff).

We were just on the Fantasy less than a week ago now :sad: and this was also our first Disney cruise. My son is 4 and daughter is 6, and they had such a blast. My DS always clings to my DD, so I was surprised when we picked them up to find them doing different things in different areas! My DS especially never wanted to leave and couldn't wait to go back.

The experience is very similar to how lanejudy mentioned on the Dream. There are so many areas to explore....they can drive the ship, play countless games on computers in several themed rooms (submarine room, pixie hollow room, etc.), there's an area where there's always a movie playing with beanbags, a few craft rooms, magic floor (group structured at special times), and constant structured activities. I thought it was so great that they could be hands on for the cooking classes. They get their own children's apron and chefs hat (but just to borrow) and could be as messy as they wanted. My kids went to both the cupcake and cookie making sessions (and they were clean when we picked them up :thumbsup2).

The first and second day they have an open house where you can go on a tour, otherwise, parents are not allowed in (only to pick up their child), and there were tons of counselors always around. Several times I saw CM's one on one playing connect four/UNO and other games with kids. That really put me at ease.

We too were on Liberty of the Seas back in April and for the record, we also had a wonderful time in general, but my kids wanted nothing to do with the kids club, but they loved it on Disney. My kids felt more comfortable going on the tour with us where we could spend some time and play and once they saw all the activities in the Navigator, they couldn't wait to go.

In comparison to RCCL, there were so many more options for activities, plus the hours they were open were a lot better.....earlier and later (though we would typically drop them off just for 2-3 hrs at a time as we too wanted to spend family time with them). Disney was also less restrictive....if a child did not want to participate in a structured activity, there were PLENTY of other things to do independently. I heard a parent on RCCL saying that their child felt like they were in school (not my idea of a vacation ;) ). I wouldn't worry about the older kids as just like lanejudy mentioned, the kids did tend to gravitate toward other kids their own age.

As a side note as this also put me at ease....they have bracelets that they have to wear to enter which is a tracking device. When we would drop them off, a CM would scan their bracelet and once the system recognized them as they verified their name, the half doors would then open (so the system opens the door). There was always a CM at the entrance at all times, and though the club and lab are connected, you can drop of your kids at either entrance....both have the same procedures. The kids then go right to the hand washing station (which was pretty cool!) which was all automated.....just hold your hands inside two tubes and keep the there until the cycle is done!

For pickup, we had to present our KTTW card and provide our password, then they would tell us exactly were they were and we could enter briefly to retrieve them and after washing their hands again, they would scan their badges for the system to open the door. We felt it was very safe....no chance of the kids getting out (just a fear I have as we are in a giant ocean:scared:).

Lunch and dinner are provided there too, but if your child already ate, they can go and play....the center is not shut down during meal times as some posts have mentioned. Also, their bathrooms are the most adorable thing ever. It's separate boys and girls bathrooms (several stalls each) all in miniature!

As a side note since we were on the same RCCL ship in spring.....the food on Disney IMHO was SOOOO much better! Liberty had the same kids menu every night, but Disney had different selections each night (though you could get the same thing if you wanted) and in different dining rooms to keeps the kids interest. Also, don't be afraid to order extra things at dinner. I had always felt a bit bad about ordering a few apps or desserts, but our server actually encouraged this, so we ate like kings. The room service menu was also better on Disney for snacks, and lunch/dinner, but Royal had more breakfast options. We did go to Remy brunch and Palo dinner and both are not to be missed, as the food got even better!::yes::

Anyway, sorry for my tangent. I hope I helped to answer your question.....and then some :mic:! We just had such an unbelievable time that I had to share my experience. Don't worry about a thing....the crew takes great care of everyone. Enjoy every minute of your cruise....it tends to go by fast!

Great information and puts my mind at ease for my 3 and 6 year old. Are the club and lab connected so if we drop them off at one they can go to the other if they want to?

My daughter loves playing with "big girls". Half of the time I would pick her up and she was with kids her age, the other half she was with older girls who were doting on her and helping her dress up, dancing with her, or playing games with her. We found most of the kids on the cruise to be so nice.

Great information and puts my mind at ease for my 3 and 6 year old. Are the club and lab connected so if we drop them off at one they can go to the other if they want to?

On the Dream and the Fantasy, yes the Club and Lab are connected and kids can freely move between the 2 spaces. On the Magic and Wonder, I believe there is a hallway connecting the 2 and the CMs will assist anyone who wants to move between locations. The only time kids are not allowed to cross between the Club/Lab is if one location is in "open house" mode, therefore any children who have been dropped off for "secure programming" will be kept on the other side. A parent must be present for any child to attend activities at the Club/Lab open house times.

We were just on the Fantasy less than a week ago now :sad: and this was also our first Disney cruise. My son is 4 and daughter is 6, and they had such a blast. My DS always clings to my DD, so I was surprised when we picked them up to find them doing different things in different areas! My DS especially never wanted to leave and couldn't wait to go back.

The experience is very similar to how lanejudy mentioned on the Dream. There are so many areas to explore....they can drive the ship, play countless games on computers in several themed rooms (submarine room, pixie hollow room, etc.), there's an area where there's always a movie playing with beanbags, a few craft rooms, magic floor (group structured at special times), and constant structured activities. I thought it was so great that they could be hands on for the cooking classes. They get their own children's apron and chefs hat (but just to borrow) and could be as messy as they wanted. My kids went to both the cupcake and cookie making sessions (and they were clean when we picked them up :thumbsup2).

The first and second day they have an open house where you can go on a tour, otherwise, parents are not allowed in (only to pick up their child), and there were tons of counselors always around. Several times I saw CM's one on one playing connect four/UNO and other games with kids. That really put me at ease.

We too were on Liberty of the Seas back in April and for the record, we also had a wonderful time in general, but my kids wanted nothing to do with the kids club, but they loved it on Disney. My kids felt more comfortable going on the tour with us where we could spend some time and play and once they saw all the activities in the Navigator, they couldn't wait to go.

In comparison to RCCL, there were so many more options for activities, plus the hours they were open were a lot better.....earlier and later (though we would typically drop them off just for 2-3 hrs at a time as we too wanted to spend family time with them). Disney was also less restrictive....if a child did not want to participate in a structured activity, there were PLENTY of other things to do independently. I heard a parent on RCCL saying that their child felt like they were in school (not my idea of a vacation ;) ). I wouldn't worry about the older kids as just like lanejudy mentioned, the kids did tend to gravitate toward other kids their own age.

As a side note as this also put me at ease....they have bracelets that they have to wear to enter which is a tracking device. When we would drop them off, a CM would scan their bracelet and once the system recognized them as they verified their name, the half doors would then open (so the system opens the door). There was always a CM at the entrance at all times, and though the club and lab are connected, you can drop of your kids at either entrance....both have the same procedures. The kids then go right to the hand washing station (which was pretty cool!) which was all automated.....just hold your hands inside two tubes and keep the there until the cycle is done!

For pickup, we had to present our KTTW card and provide our password, then they would tell us exactly were they were and we could enter briefly to retrieve them and after washing their hands again, they would scan their badges for the system to open the door. We felt it was very safe....no chance of the kids getting out (just a fear I have as we are in a giant ocean:scared:).

Lunch and dinner are provided there too, but if your child already ate, they can go and play....the center is not shut down during meal times as some posts have mentioned. Also, their bathrooms are the most adorable thing ever. It's separate boys and girls bathrooms (several stalls each) all in miniature!

As a side note since we were on the same RCCL ship in spring.....the food on Disney IMHO was SOOOO much better! Liberty had the same kids menu every night, but Disney had different selections each night (though you could get the same thing if you wanted) and in different dining rooms to keeps the kids interest. Also, don't be afraid to order extra things at dinner. I had always felt a bit bad about ordering a few apps or desserts, but our server actually encouraged this, so we ate like kings. The room service menu was also better on Disney for snacks, and lunch/dinner, but Royal had more breakfast options. We did go to Remy brunch and Palo dinner and both are not to be missed, as the food got even better!::yes::

Anyway, sorry for my tangent. I hope I helped to answer your question.....and then some :mic:! We just had such an unbelievable time that I had to share my experience. Don't worry about a thing....the crew takes great care of everyone. Enjoy every minute of your cruise....it tends to go by fast!

Thanks so much for the detail review. It has been hard to find details about the kids club and that is the area I want to feel the most comfortable with:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter