Fantasy Eastern March 22 - 29 2014: Where's Waldo? (Well...Nick...) updated 4/18/14

Apparently I now have drinks on the line to finish MY TR before Wally does...and that is the kind of motivation I need. Maybe.

But I was also thinking about it. He finished his trip 3 months ago. So...go with me on this...all I should have to do is finish this TR less than 3 months from when he finishes his. Right? Uh...I said, Right? Bueller? Bueller? Hmmm. *Crickets*

I see I don't have the kind of audience that wants to wait. Well...based on my past history...you are in trouble. Yes, I know...I get mad at DW for saying things like that. Only I am allowed to say this about myself. That is just how it is. For you...well try not to :badpc: as it is not your computer's fault. :)

Anyway...on with the tale. When we last left you we were getting into the hotel in the middle of the night...after chasing dinner off of the tollway...and driving bleary eyed through the night. As is always the case when we got to bed late and have to get up early...DW didn't sleep. I didn't sleep much...but did get a little bit. Luckily for DW I bought her a Kindle Paperwhite for her birthday. Well I think it was for her birthday. Geez...that's bad that I don't remember. I'm sure I won't hear about that. :faint:

anyway...the paperwhite is cool because it still can be read in direct sun (like a kindle), but it has a nice back glow that isn't too bright but makes it so you can read in the dark. Very nice. Yes...I'm aware that tablets are the way to go. And being the technology savy person I am, I *did* buy her a tablet...which we promptly took back to Costco because she didn't use it. I don't know what to tell you....ooh....watch out! :duck: now she is throwing things at me! :)

But I digress. and you don't care about the paperwhite. or maybe you do. Either way...there you go.

As I said before we had set the alarm for 6:30 which came in very early. It was our intention to get into the park and get to Harry Potter first...or close to first. Dw went down and got our tickets from the lobby (it was broken in the middle of the night. Not sure how she got them in the morning...I assume someone came in? These are the types of mysteries I'm left with when I'm not involved!!!). OH wait...but she only got tickets for the three of us. DW, being a Travel Agent...gets one free ticket a year. Yup...that's what I'm talkin' about. :cool1: uh huh.

Luckily the hotel was a very short walk to Islands of Adventure...or we could have taken the boat. But the guy at the desk said walking was better...and quicker and he was right. Just around the lake...under the bridge, up and over and we were standing in front of the gates. Wait a second...food. food would be good. No big deal, right? Citywalk is right there. apparently not for breakfast. We couldn't find anything...not even a starbucks...very strange. Oh well. I certainly will not pass out from lack of eating for a few hours. I think I have a pound or two my body can gnaw on.

So instead we just went to the gate. We ended up first in line at one of the turnstiles. A little while before the gates opened the ticket takers came out. We ended up with a nice gentleman from Massachusetts who had retired in the area. He was fun to chat with and we hear about how he loves to bring people to the park and loves to give away free tickets. *ahem*. *over here*. Nope...no tickets floated our way. :) But he was really nice and helped pass the time. And of course this gave DW the time to study our path to Harry Potter.

me and the boys at the gate

DW and the boys at the gate. At least I think it is at the gate. I'll find out once I see the big picture. :)

OH, have not not shared with you DW's super-natural abilities? She has a way to find her way through crowds and the shortest paths to things like nobodies business. If you are going to a theme park...hit her up. She will tell you exactly where to go, when to go there, and how fast to walk. OK, maybe not how fast to walk...but she is really good at figuring these things out. I'm thinking a good trait in a Travel Agent...and an even better trait for a Mom and wife!!! finally the gates opened and it was time to walk. Not run...but walk. Actually a lot of people ran. But not us. We are rule followers. Oh wait...no we aren't. But in this case...

So we walked to the Harry Potter Forbidden Journey and walked right onto the ride. WOW! what a terrific ride. Very creative....very, very well done. One thing we found out while we were talking with our friend who did not give us tickets (yeah, kinda like Voldermort), was that the Harry Potter land was originally pitched to Disney but they turned it down because they wanted full control and the author didn't want that. Their loss...as it was incredibly well done. Almost to the detail of...well...Disney.

I won't share with you any of the ride details because you need to experience it. Of course I'm sure you can go on youtube and get it all...but I'm not that kind of person. I do think it's one of the better rides out there...and quite unexpected. I had not read anything about it...so everything was a surprise for me and I loved that!

After we got done we dashed back and got in line again. This time we had to wait a little bit as the line had gotten long. At this point you see the detail that went into the ride. Incredible.

Who knows that this is by seeing the picture??? DW? huh? anyone???

After riding it a second time we decided to get something to eat. The guy at the game (yeah...he who shall not be named) told us to go ride HP and get out until late in the day because of the crowds. boy was he right. So we walked around...were tempted by a restaurant but didn't want to pay the prices...ended up at Cinnabon out by the entrance. Yum! Except it wasn't hot enough. One of those things. But it was still yummy. Then we found out about the drink cups. They have two types of drink cups at Universal. One you pay something like $12 and you can refill it for $1 for your entire stay. Another you pay $13 and you can get unlimited refills for the day. As we were only there for one day that was a no brainer...and we drink more soda than we should...so that was a good fit. How you refilled it was cool though.

They had the Coke freestyle machines (you know...the ones with hundreds of choices of drinks) throughout the park. Something in the cup was read by the machine and it knew how long you had for free refills. It also had some sort of delay...so you couldn't fill it up...pour it into another glass and fill it up again. Cool technology.

My family at Cinnabon. You can see the cups not the table.

Me and DS11. Not sure why. Just cause I'm so cute?

After we ate up we headed over to the Incredible Hulk Coaster. Kind of funny to be doing all these rides based on characters that are now owned by Disney at Universal. HA! But I digress.

DW quickly learned that going on the Incredible Hulk Coaster right after eating a huge sweet sticky bun was not a good choice...and she had an upset stomach for a while after that. DS11 had a similar experience. I eat too much...so no big whoop for me. :)

So we walked up the street to the spiderman ride...still very cool after all these years.

Then it was back to Harry Potter land. As we had front of the line passes it helped us as we got in line for the Dragon Challenge. DW was sitting this one out so we left our cups with her and got in line. That is a cool roller coaster...but I noticed something about myself and how old I'm getting which I had never noticed before (and it was NOT my gray hair!). When we went in loops (which it did a lot)...all the blood rushed to my feet. so my feet got all tingly and weird feeling. That was new for me. I'm getting old. :scared1:

Now...there have been years when we dig in and stay all day/night in a park. we open and close it because we paid for it. This was not one of those trips. We were all exhausted. So we decided to head back to the hotel to take a power nap and come back a bit later. Everyone agreed...though on DW and I rested. Connor tried the whole time to get us to go to the pool. Huh....no way he will get to the pool later in the trip!!!

though we didn't sleep much...it was good to get some rest...and just before 2:00 we decided to go get some lunch. As we had a car we figured we would go off property and save some money...and we all LOVE Steak and Shake. If you have not experienced Steak and Shake you absolutely must. Their burgers are great....their fries are fabulous...but their shakes are to die for. and I'm not exaggerating one bit. Well...except they took away my butter pecan shake. That was a disappointing moment.

But as things had gone so far that trip...we headed to one that we knew about (well, ok I plugged it into my phone)...drove over there...it's right by the entrance into WDW...drive up...hmmmm...the parking lot seems kind of empty...and..it's closed for renovations. Seriously?? *sigh*. We almost went to Chevy's because it was right there....but DS15 talked us out of that because he wanted to go there for dinner and watch some basketball. So...the right thing to do would have been to just grab something quick and head back to the hotel. Yeah...or we could drive 20 minutes to another Steak and Shake. OOOOOh it was so worth it. :)

We made it back to the hotel and headed back to Islands for the rest of the day. We hit the Hulk Coaster again (when I say "we" I mean the boys and I...DW passed), and then the boys and DW went on Dr. Doom (if you have been to California Adventure before they took it out...kind of like Maliboomer). I'm not a fan of straight drop rides so I just hung out. While they were on it one of the characters came walking by (as I was sitting by where they go in and out) and scared me half to death by standing over me. Pretty funny. Apparently he scared me so much that I don't remember who it was. :rotfl2:

I hate to be like Wally and leave you hanging mid-episode...but it's time to take DS15 to work out....so more later. Well...later in the week. Well....maybe next week. ha!

let me know if you have any questions...

DZ

Next up: Chapter 2: Who you callin' a muggle? part 2

I've been wanting to see the HP Universal additions but decided to wait until USJ gets it next year.

Oh and what's this about 3 months after I finish. I'm already giving you a handicap by writing the mystery at the same time. :rolleyes1

I've been wanting to see the HP Universal additions but decided to wait until USJ gets it next year.

Oh and what's this about 3 months after I finish. I'm already giving you a handicap by writing the mystery at the same time. :rolleyes1
if I don't get a pass when Zombies are eating my flesh...you get no credit for writing a mystery! :)

what's USJ?

As for Zombies... If they want to eat the brain first I think u will have an extra few minutes as they will go for Deanna first... Strictly based on the fact that she figured out what USJ meant. :rotfl2:

Heck in my house they would go for my wife first and Junna my 20 year old daughter last... In fact they may avoid her altogether.:confused3

OK...well I have a short window of opportunity to finish the day at Universal...so I'm going to try to squeeze it in. DW did not like that I only posted part of a day. See the high standards I have to put up with???

Anyhooooo

After being scared by the super hero who I cannot remember...we headed over to Harry Potter again...this time to get some butter beer which we had been wanting to do.

Here we are at the entrance to Hogsmeade. Again...very nicely done with the detail.

At both entrances to Harry Potter Land they had these beer trucks that were serving the butter beer. They had two different versions...frozen and not so much frozen. I just asked DW how she would describe butter beer but neither of us can really describe it. The frozen one was better in our opinion...but both were pretty good. We are glad we did it...but don't know that we would go out of our way to get it. You can also pay extra to get a souvenir mug...yeah...we didn't do that. :thumbsup2

The boys with their beers. Yup...first class all the way.

Dw and the boys

DW and Connor

The boys posing with Hogwarts Express and the conductor. I'm sure he is the real one.

I just realized that when we left Universal the first time we took the boat back to the hotel. so here are some pictures. :)

Waiting for the boat

Connor on the boat

Connor and DW on the boat. Not sure where Nick Was. Guess this was foreshadowing???

One of the coolest things happens in the bathrooms of Harry Potter Land. So make sure you go there. I don't want to ruin the surprise...so I'll leave it at that. If you really, really want to know you can PM me and I'll share. :)

As we wandered around Islands of Adventure...there is a cartoon section which is cool....but I started to pay more attention to some of the things there. First this:

This was just kind of fun. Connor claimed he could climb up to be up high on the rope...but it was very slippery so not so much.

But the funniest were all of the cartoon bubbles throughout this area of the park. Some of them were mildly funny...others hilarious...particularly if you pose just right.

Again...foreshadowing for Nick???

I had no idea how true this was going to turn out to be. Except I needed a vacation from being sick after vacation!

Come on. This is too easy. Do you know how many times I have wished I could read DW's thoughts????

Luckily I can laugh at myself. Yup...I'm a ham. or something. Stop it!

And for all of you as we head out of Universal

We did have to hit one more ride. Connor really wanted to do a water ride...none of us did...but we sucked it up and agreed to do the Jurrasic Park ride. It's a pretty well done ride...which we have done before. And of course...Connor didn't get wet at all. DW and Nick got soaked...I got somewhat wet and I think Connor had a drop or two land on him. Isn't that just the way it is??? But to make Connor happy, I guess it was worth it.

So all-in-all it was great to see Harry Potter...the rest of the park is ok...if you took our HP I personally don't think it is worth the price of admission...but with HP it is. I will definitely return with the new Diagon Alley and Hogwarts express between the parks...that will be very cool.

But out we went...back to the hotel to clean up...well...so that DW could dry off. Then we needed to do trip #1 to Chevy's...we headed out and luckily found a table at the bar so we didn't have to wait too long. We shared some appetizers...ate a whole bunch of chips...Nick spilled his coke all over the table and all over Connor's seat which, I'm sure you can see made Connor EXTREMELY happy. No whining after that at all! :)

After dinner we scooted up to the road to the ABC liquor store to fortify for the trip. For those of you who do not know...Disney technically doesn't allow you to bring alcohol on the ships. However they also don't stop you from bringing alcohol on. you have to carry it onto the ship with you...so be aware of that. We have brought various amounts of alcohol onto various trips. From a rolling soft-sided cooler to bottles of liquor. In this case we bought two six-packs of beer for me, a bottle of Malibu rum for DW, and a bottle opener. Then we hit a grocery store to get pineapple juice to go with DW's Malibu and it was time to head back.

We packed everything up to get ready to go to the ship first thing in the morning...yes...it was time to get this vacation going! We all took showers and I took all of the beer out of their carrying cases and put them into a small soft-sided cooler that we had brought. This would turn out to be a not so good choice. :)

Out intention was to leave for the port early...as usual we wanted to try to get an upgrade at the port. So the alarm was set for 7:30...and off to nighty-night land for us.

Next up: Chapter 2: Will this be the last time we see Nick for 7 days?

Let me know if you have any questions!!

Thanks for reading along.

DZ

As for Zombies... If they want to eat the brain first I think u will have an extra few minutes as they will go for Deanna first... Strictly based on the fact that she figured out what USJ meant. :rotfl2:

Heck in my house they would go for my wife first and Junna my 20 year old daughter last... In fact they may avoid her altogether.:confused3

I'm struggling between getting mad and laughing. Hmmm....ha!! :rotfl:

I actually question that...is a well-used brain tasting better than one that marinates? Something to think about. :)

DZ

Great update. If butterbeer tastes like beer I won't be trying any. I think my dislike of beer has something to do with University...frats and funnels. The taste and smell bring back bad memories.

I like the word clouds. The pics almost look like you photoshopped them in.

Joining in....and very much enjoying your TR so far!

Sad to hear about the delayed, and sickly, flight home --- but happy to see the flip side, and the great start to your trip at Universal! :)

tokyodisneydad said:
Great update. If butterbeer tastes like beer I won't be trying any. I think my dislike of beer has something to do with University...frats and funnels. The taste and smell bring back bad memories.

It does not taste like beer. More like cream soda? That's not exactly right...but definitely not beer.

I'm a little scared to hear your university stories!

And I know on the word clouds...I had seen them before but had not taken pics. They turned out great!

Just found your report, reading alone, sorry Nick wasn't feeling well on the way home, I can kinda relate. I just had the flu and was feeling really crappy and I was at home, can't picture traveling, though I leave tomorrow to start my vacation:cool1:

Joining in. :wave: Can't wait to hear all about the cruise. We are scheduled to go next May and my DS will be 15 when we cruise. I'm curious how Nick liked the teen club. We are also deciding if we want to do one day before the cruise at a park. I asked my kids which Disney park they would choose for just one day. They couldn't and said how about Universal. So we'll see. Looking forward to your next installment.

Just so you know, the butterbeer is not beer at all...kids of all ages can drink it. Connor wasn't too thrilled with it, but he doesn't like much except Mountain Dew! But like Drew said, it is hard to describe the taste, but worth it to try at least once.

Just so you know, the butterbeer is not beer at all...kids of all ages can drink it. Connor wasn't too thrilled with it, but he doesn't like much except Mountain Dew! But like Drew said, it is hard to describe the taste, but worth it to try at least once.

De I'll trust you and try it. If Drew said it though I would skip it. He would probably try to poison me just to win our little wager.

We likened it to a really sweet butterscotch?
Sweet butterscotch I could get to like.

So I’m fumbling around on the boards last night and low and behold…I stumble upon a new TR by non-other than DisneyZell!! I quickly subscribe to this ditty. My day is set for tomorrow to start digging into the Zell family adventures once again!!

And boy, do you know how to start….upchuck and all!!! I do like how you start with the end, a nice hook for the story if you will.

I’m along for the ride, just don’t keep us hanging to long. At least it isn’t football season right?

Joining in! I guess the silver lining to the sickness is that it didn't hit til after the cruise?

We went to Universal four years ago in May... And HP was about two weeks away from opening. We did get to ride Dragon Challenge. Just no Hogsmeade, and the other rides weren't open. We will be back this May so it looks like we will just be missing Diagon Alley's opening as well. We have mastered the art of "perfect timing." I guess we will just have to plan a return trip... :rolleyes1

Just found your report, reading alone, sorry Nick wasn't feeling well on the way home, I can kinda relate. I just had the flu and was feeling really crappy and I was at home, can't picture traveling, though I leave tomorrow to start my vacation:cool1:
I know, right? As I said...when we were traveling I was thinking he was just over-reacting. I apologized to him once I got it...and I didn't even say anything to him on the way home! I felt bad just thinking about it!

Joining in. :wave: Can't wait to hear all about the cruise. We are scheduled to go next May and my DS will be 15 when we cruise. I'm curious how Nick liked the teen club. We are also deciding if we want to do one day before the cruise at a park. I asked my kids which Disney park they would choose for just one day. They couldn't and said how about Universal. So we'll see. Looking forward to your next installment.
Tough call on that. Islands of Adventure is definitely more suited to the older ages as it is more roller coasters. But now that they are opening the other HP stuff in the other park...I think to really make it worth it you need a park-hopper equivalent. Just MO! :) Thanks for following along!

We likened it to a really sweet butterscotch?
That's a good description...

For all you poor unfortunate souls now joining in Drew's trip report I have included a link to my report below. This will give you some entertainment while you wait......and wait.....and wait for an update here. :rotfl2:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3218693
HEY, no advertising. :)

So I’m fumbling around on the boards last night and low and behold…I stumble upon a new TR by non-other than DisneyZell!! I quickly subscribe to this ditty. My day is set for tomorrow to start digging into the Zell family adventures once again!!

And boy, do you know how to start….upchuck and all!!! I do like how you start with the end, a nice hook for the story if you will.

I’m along for the ride, just don’t keep us hanging to long. At least it isn’t football season right?
Grooovertoo! Welcome aboard my friend! Great to hear from you. I'll try not to leave you hanging too much. Traveling a lot for work..which is killing me! :)

Joining in! I guess the silver lining to the sickness is that it didn't hit til after the cruise?

We went to Universal four years ago in May... And HP was about two weeks away from opening. We did get to ride Dragon Challenge. Just no Hogsmeade, and the other rides weren't open. We will be back this May so it looks like we will just be missing Diagon Alley's opening as well. We have mastered the art of "perfect timing." I guess we will just have to plan a return trip... :rolleyes1
Timing is everything, eh? That actually sounds like something that would happen to us. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone, keep them coming!

DZ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter