Fantasy Check In

Footnotegirl

Mouseketeer
So, we are going on our Fantasy cruise on May 19, and just did our check in. We've been on Disney cruises before, but not since they instituted this check in method. Currently, the check in is telling that we board at 2 p.m.
This is a bit of an issue, because we have a 3 month old and waiting around the port is a really good way to ensure a melt down. So, what is the reality of these check in times? We had been planning to show up at the port early, but... what time should we really show up?

So, we are going on our Fantasy cruise on May 19, and just did our check in. We've been on Disney cruises before, but not since they instituted this check in method. Currently, the check in is telling that we board at 2 p.m.
This is a bit of an issue, because we have a 3 month old and waiting around the port is a really good way to ensure a melt down. So, what is the reality of these check in times? We had been planning to show up at the port early, but... what time should we really show up?

If you arrive earlier than your selected Port ARrival Time, and the terminal is busy, you may be asked to wait until either your Port Arrival Time or the terminal is less busy. That said, once the actual boarding process begins (about 11:45) the terminal clears fairly quickly. I will point out that your Port Arrival Time is tied to your actual boarding number which you receive when you check in at the port.

So, even if you are allowed in early, your boarding number will be the same. And you will see people arriving after you (at their correct Port ARrival Time) boarding before you do.

:cutie:

2:00-2:30pm is your port arrival time, not your boarding time.

I would not show up too early, you will just have to wait around.

Heh,
Well, when our 90%+ of the time smiling, chuckling, quiet, tractable baby (we were very, very lucky in the baby sweepstakes, I tell you) decides that she's overtired or doesn't like a place and spends over an hour screaming so loud that my ears ring even once she's quiet? i call that a melt down. No, it's not the same as a toddlers tantrum, but it sure ain't fun.
Anyone nearby will just have to deal with a white noise generator and a rocking mom or dad, I guess. Luckily, there will be a lot of parents who will understand and hopefully sympathize.
Or very luckily, she will have tolerated the hotel room the night before and will only fuss a tiny little bit to signal she needs changing or feeding which is her normal way of things.

Your choice is very, very simple. You have three options.
Option one, the best option: Your port ARRIVAL time is 2 to 2:30, so show up around 2.

Option two, which will likely work well: Show up at 12:30, anticipating boarding will have already begun. If so, you should be able to go into the terminal without delay then board as soon as you finish checking in.

Option three, bad idea: Show up at 11:00, just as the port opens. Either you will be told to stand around outside with nothing to do until boarding starts, or you will be let into the terminal and be given a very high boarding number so you can sit around for a long time inside.

If I was in your situation, I would just plan to arrive at the port at about 1 PM. Even if the ship is delayed by customs, they should have begun boarding well before that time and the check-in line should be minimal so you won't have any delays after arriving at the port.

Option one, the best option: Your port ARRIVAL time is 2 to 2:30, so show up around 2.

Option two, which will likely work well: Show up at 12:30, anticipating boarding will have already begun. If so, you should be able to go into the terminal without delay then board as soon as you finish checking in.

Option three, bad idea: Show up at 11:00, just as the port opens. Either you will be told to stand around outside with nothing to do until boarding starts, or you will be let into the terminal and be given a very high boarding number so you can sit around for a long time inside.

If I was in your situation, I would just plan to arrive at the port at about 1 PM. Even if the ship is delayed by customs, they should have begun boarding well before that time and the check-in line should be minimal so you won't have any delays after arriving at the port.
:thumbsup2 I agree with all of the above.

Just so everyone knows...... it has been reported here on the DIS that if you take DCL transportation to the port, the arrival time you received when you did the online check in really doesn't matter. They will let you into the terminal when you get off the bus.

Just so everyone knows...... it has been reported here on the DIS that if you take DCL transportation to the port, the arrival time you received when you did the online check in really doesn't matter. They will let you into the terminal when you get off the bus.

How are you getting to the port? As Outahere states if you are taking Disney Transportation to the port, port arrival times don't matter. If you are planning on driving over or taking private transportation you should wait until around 12:30 to show up so that you won't have a long wait. But keep in mind if Disney is running behind on boarding you may be asked to wait to get into the terminal until your port arrival time. (I have not seen any reports of them running really behind). Hopefully your 3 month old will take a good nap ( it's about a 1 hour drive from the airport, 1.5 from Disney) on the way over and be refreshed to board his/her first Disney cruise.

Heh,
Well, when our 90%+ of the time smiling, chuckling, quiet, tractable baby (we were very, very lucky in the baby sweepstakes, I tell you) decides that she's overtired or doesn't like a place and spends over an hour screaming so loud that my ears ring even once she's quiet? i call that a melt down. No, it's not the same as a toddlers tantrum, but it sure ain't fun.
Anyone nearby will just have to deal with a white noise generator and a rocking mom or dad, I guess. Luckily, there will be a lot of parents who will understand and hopefully sympathize.
Or very luckily, she will have tolerated the hotel room the night before and will only fuss a tiny little bit to signal she needs changing or feeding which is her normal way of things.

My real point is this: Why do you feel that you deserve special treatment because you are bringing a three month old?

You are not the only person on the cruise that has a challenge. And no one in the port will think bad of you because you are trying to soothe a baby. They will all understand.

I agree. You best bet would be to show up at 1:00 - 1:30. With plenty of food to keep that baby happy.

Just for future reference, if you want to get the earliest PAT, you need to do your online check-in the day you're eligible.

75 days for first timers
90 for Silver Castaway Club
105 - Gold CC
120 - Platinum CC and Concierge

Personally, i cant stand waiting around for anything ... at 48 years old, I'm likely to have a melt down too if I'm stuck in the terminal for 2 or 3 hours :lmao:

I'm planning on arriving 15 to 20 minutes before my port arrival time window. Hopefully, that will allow me to board within an hour of arriving at the port.

Personally, i cant stand waiting around for anything ... at 48 years old, I'm likely to have a melt down too if I'm stuck in the terminal for 2 or 3 hours :lmao:

I'm planning on arriving 15 to 20 minutes before my port arrival time window. Hopefully, that will allow me to board within an hour of arriving at the port.
What is your port arrival time?

We had 11:00-11:30
Got to the parking garage at 11:26
Checked in and walked right on the ship
We were sitting in Cabanas at 11:52

My real point is this: Why do you feel that you deserve special treatment because you are bringing a three month old?

You are not the only person on the cruise that has a challenge. And no one in the port will think bad of you because you are trying to soothe a baby. They will all understand.

Whoooooa.
At no point did I even suggest that I deserve special treatment! I don't. A lot of kids travel with Disney, and many have far, far bigger challenges than we do! I was asking for the best ideas on what time to actually show up so that fuss and bother (and screaming baby) was kept to a minimum not just for us but for anyone in our vicinity. The baby is new to us (our first, and the first time we're travelling with her) and this embarkation procedure is new to us, so I wanted to just get as much info on what it really means as we could so that we could plan appropriately and be prepared.

I thank everyone for the good information... I think we'll probably shoot to get there a little before 2 (mostly in hopes that some of the bottle warmers and strollers will still be available at guest services). We are flying in the night before and staying in a hotel in Orlando, then driving a rental car to Port Canaveral in the morning, dropping it off, and taking the rental place's shuttle to the port.

Whoooooa.
At no point did I even suggest that I deserve special treatment! I don't. A lot of kids travel with Disney, and many have far, far bigger challenges than we do! I was asking for the best ideas on what time to actually show up so that fuss and bother (and screaming baby) was kept to a minimum not just for us but for anyone in our vicinity. The baby is new to us (our first, and the first time we're travelling with her) and this embarkation procedure is new to us, so I wanted to just get as much info on what it really means as we could so that we could plan appropriately and be prepared.

I thank everyone for the good information... I think we'll probably shoot to get there a little before 2 (mostly in hopes that some of the bottle warmers and strollers will still be available at guest services). We are flying in the night before and staying in a hotel in Orlando, then driving a rental car to Port Canaveral in the morning, dropping it off, and taking the rental place's shuttle to the port.
:hug: Don't worry about it Footnotegirl. No where in your posts, did I get the impression you thought you deserved special treatment.

Is there any way you can have it noted on your reservation that you need a bottle warmer and stroller? Or is it first come, first serve?

BTW, congratulations on your new baby!

:hug: Don't worry about it Footnotegirl. No where in your posts, did I get the impression you thought you deserved special treatment.

Is there any way you can have it noted on your reservation that you need a bottle warmer and stroller? Or is it first come, first serve?

BTW, congratulations on your new baby!

Pretty sure it's first come, first served.

:cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter