**Fantasy Becomes Reality** Group--5/19/2012 (INDEX/ROLE CALL, PAGE 1--ENTRY 1)

Thanks for the Welcome! - I wish I would have found this group a long time ago - but I just became a member of this site about a month ago. We've had this cruise booked for about 16 months - and we are so excited for it to almost be FANTASY TIME!

Is there any other activities planned as a group, other than the first day meet up?

Then I also got a pair of FILA Skele-toes for the beach, pool and for walking around on deck. Unfortunately, they were cute but too long and too tight in the width so we returned them and picked up a different pair so all set with those. Love them. Will take getting used to the toes but they are comfortable.

I have a pair of VIBRAM Five-Fingers. Love those things. But Pam and the kids are embarrassed to be with me when I wear them. Pam calls them my 'frog feet'. I just started running in them, (ok, jogging . . . slowly) and I really like it.

You get used to the toes pretty quickly.

Anyone know of anyone deciding NOT to use their cabana? I've tried since the start of concierge booking to get one and didn't have any luck. I keep checking and checking to see if anyone cancelled, but no such luck. I've been to Castaway numerous times, but this will be the first with my DH and DD(2) - and the rest of our party.

Just a little less than 2 weeks until we set sail!

Hi Jillian and welcome. Looking forward to meeting you soon. :goodvibes

Elaine

Guess what?! I fell behind AGAIN! I'll spare the details, but lets just say it's been the craziest week yet and I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS VACATION!!!!!!! We have some family stuff going on with my cousin (not the one in the car wreck, but the other one who had heart issues at the same time-- he's currently in cardiac ICU), so I'm praying he gets/stays stable or my husband will be the one jumping off the side of the boat b/c I'll either have to send him with or leave him with the kids :)

PT is going well-- still aiming to lose the brace in time for the cruise. Got to take it off for exercises today and did well. Probably no 5k, but I'll take what I can get, haha :)

I'll try to catch up again, but I apologize for being so bad with staying on track. Trying to fit trips from Wheeling to Cleveland as much as I can before we leave... And pack in there too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAso9NksG8s

This is my cousin, Dustin-- He's only 4 months younger than me (he's 32) and we were raised as siblings, so very close... Please keep him in your prayers... Hoping to lose the breathing tube in the next several days and go back to being on bi-pap. He has Duchenne muscular dystrophy, so this course of events is somewhat expected, but still scary... We've been VERY lucky to have him this long as we lost his younger brother at 27. They're definitely my heroes :)

This is my cousin, Dustin-- He's only 4 months younger than me (he's 32) and we were raised as siblings, so very close... Please keep him in your prayers... Hoping to lose the breathing tube in the next several days and go back to being on bi-pap. He has Duchenne muscular dystrophy, so this course of events is somewhat expected, but still scary... We've been VERY lucky to have him this long as we lost his younger brother at 27. They're definitely my heroes :)

I will definitely be keeping Dustin in my prayers. I really can't find the right words to say anything else right now. So many times I take the simple things for granted. It's great to see the sense of humor from whomever is filming and from Dustin. I can see why he's your hero!

I will definitely be keeping Dustin in my prayers. I really can't find the right words to say anything else right now. So many times I take the simple things for granted. It's great to see the sense of humor from whomever is filming and from Dustin. I can see why he's your hero!

Haha-- that's Jamal. He is Dustin's aid. A few years back, they had a show on MTV (I think?) called Ultimate Gamer-- he was Zophar on there. A definite player on the show, but a WONDERFUL person and he takes such good care of D. In fact, he is the one who was there when his heart stopped this time and he kept him alive until the EMS got there and intubated. Definitely an angel!!!!

JRandAJsMom - no worries about falling behind. Clearly you've got life going on! I hope your cousin recovers quickly.

I looked ahead at the extended forecast, and I wished I hadn't. :( It's got rain listed every day starting the 14th all the way to the 21st for Disney, Port Canaveral, and St. Thomas. Someone reassure me that these will be quick showers, not constant rain. I hadn't really considered that we would have anything other than amazing weather on the cruise, so this bummed me out. On the list of actual needs in life, nice weather on the cruise is right up there with diamond-encrusted ponytail holders, and I know we can have a good time regardless. carouselk, you're a Floridian, right? Any thoughts on this? We've gone in May before and were definitely NOT looking at daily rain for days on end. And it's far enough out that it can change, but I need some reassurance from my friends!

I also started coming down with a cold today, so I think I'm overall feeling a little bummed that I might be fighting feeling yucky physically (I don't have a great immune system, and bugs tend to stick with me) on top of less-than-ideal weather.

I need to buck up, right? Right!

Jenny

I live in Orlando and based on what we are experiencing it looks like its our normal Summer weather where it will be sunny most of the day but have afternoon thunderstorms that can hit anywhere from 3-7 and last for a short time. Our weather from what I have noticed this year is hitting earlier then normal. We normally don't have the afternoon rains until Memorial Day and later but seems to be happening earlier.

I wouldn't panic but maybe stop by a local Dollar store or walmart sporting goods section and pick up some cheap disposable ponchos just in case.

Not sure about St. Thomas and what their normal rain is like but here in Orlando/WDW area it generally is just the seabreezes bringing in afternoon rain storms.

I live in Orlando and based on what we are experiencing it looks like its our normal Summer weather where it will be sunny most of the day but have afternoon thunderstorms that can hit anywhere from 3-7 and last for a short time. Our weather from what I have noticed this year is hitting earlier then normal. We normally don't have the afternoon rains until Memorial Day and later but seems to be happening earlier.

I wouldn't panic but maybe stop by a local Dollar store or walmart sporting goods section and pick up some cheap disposable ponchos just in case.

Not sure about St. Thomas and what their normal rain is like but here in Orlando/WDW area it generally is just the seabreezes bringing in afternoon rain storms.

I'm sorry, I don't remember your first name or else I'd thank you by name! I appreciate the reassurance. I just need to not stress about it, and it helps to have the input of locals like you who can speak to the weather patterns. Thanks again!

Jenny :)

Inspiring! What an incredible guy. And he's so lucky to have such great friends and family by his side. Thoughts and wishes are with you!

I looked ahead at the extended forecast, and I wished I hadn't. :( It's got rain listed every day starting the 14th all the way to the 21st for Disney, Port Canaveral, and St. Thomas. Someone reassure me that these will be quick showers, not constant rain. I hadn't really considered that we would have anything other than amazing weather on the cruise, so this bummed me out. On the list of actual needs in life, nice weather on the cruise is right up there with diamond-encrusted ponytail holders, and I know we can have a good time regardless. carouselk, you're a Floridian, right? Any thoughts on this? We've gone in May before and were definitely NOT looking at daily rain for days on end. And it's far enough out that it can change, but I need some reassurance from my friends!

Jenny

Hi Jenny! From what I understand, depending on the size of the weather patterns, the Captain can actually navigate around bad weather in some cases. If it's not a massive storm cell, on sea days and in the evening, the crew has some control (within limits) of where the ship can be located and can often avoid minor summer storms. In port and with regards to large storms it's a different issue, though I've read about successes in hiding the ship on the leeward side of islands even during hurricane season. I think some showers are unavoidable, but I agree, let's hope things come together for a great fireworks show! pixiedust:

I saw the rain stuff too, but when I looked at the radar, there was nothing there or even in the vicinity of our ports... Here's to hoping they're just "pop up" showers here and there ;)

Boys are downstairs singing away. Their talent show is today (3 shows-- 2 for the school and one tonight for the parents). This is their first year doing it and they are singing Seize the Day from Disney's Newsies :) They're even dressed like little newsies-- paperboy caps and lyrics pasted to the backs of folded newspapers :) I'm a pretty proud (but nervous!) momma!

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!

This is my cousin, Dustin-- He's only 4 months younger than me (he's 32) and we were raised as siblings, so very close... Please keep him in your prayers...

Done! Thinking of you and Dustin and praying for you all.

Boys are downstairs singing away. Their talent show is today (3 shows-- 2 for the school and one tonight for the parents). This is their first year doing it and they are singing Seize the Day from Disney's Newsies :) They're even dressed like little newsies-- paperboy caps and lyrics pasted to the backs of folded newspapers :) I'm a pretty proud (but nervous!) momma!

I LOVE "Newsies" and "Seize the Day"! Good luck to the boys!

Sometimes I am really slow at catching on to things :confused3. I just realized today that both of you are together. I couldn't find a DUH smilie for it. I went back to the front and looked at the roll call and there it is.

There isn't a real reason you should have connected us. I can't keep track of who everyone is :confused3 :rotfl: I can't wait for the cruise and to meet everyone! :yay:

Donaldsgal:
I wish you saw me read your post as I had to stifle a laugh (am at work): it gave me an amusing memory. There is a website out there that actually gives predictions for wave heights. Since it has been maybe a decade since I used, I don't have a clue the name. But I would study it frequently in the weeks before a cruise and worry over the prediction moving higher...

About 4 cruises back we did what WDWliving the dream says: and we bought 5 tiny disposable rain ponchos. We used them on that trip, but the ponchos we got for 3 cruises ago are packed for this one: no need since. So here's to keeping the trend intact: rain rain go away!!

I feel like a little kid on the FE things.....can't wait to see what we receive!!! Just hoping against all hope that our gifts are loved----we put a lot of time into them!!!!

We ordered an FE off of eBay....and are hoping there are no issues with delivery. Fingers crossed!!!

I put a lot of time into my individual gifts although it might not look like it - not quite so skilled at anything hand-made. :rotfl: Hope you guys like what I got.

Well this has been a crazy week. As you guys know, last August I decided to open my own practice. Well out of the blue, two different firms made me job offers this past week. One came from a firm that I do a lot of contract work for, and I already get along great with all the attorneys there. So, long story short, when I come back from the cruise it will be to a new job with a defense firm in Dallas.:banana::banana:

Ultimately, I will strike back out on my own - but it will be nice to have the predictable income for a few years.

Congratulations!!!!! :cool1:

I have to apologize in advance for our FE gifts. I started buying materials a year ago. I didn't have a set idea what to make, so I haven't started. We leave for Orlando next Saturday. I had all these ideas but that is as far as it went. I wont have as many FE gifts or as nice as I wanted. I'll have a few things I can give still...
Guess we will have to cruise again so I can use the stuff we bought :rotfl2:

.... I am sad to think that in a week it will be over ;)

Chris - I did the exact same thing. Then in the end it became a panic. One thing I wanted to do had a "test sample" sitting on my desk forever, next to the keychains and lanyards Sabrina was going to make -- neither ever happened. Oh well. Hope you guys like what I did finish. :goodvibes

Here is a cruise tip I haven't run across in a while, but I first learned on these boards:

Invest in a bottle Papaya Enzyme Supplement before the cruise. It is supposed to aid digestion, and with all the rich food I plan on indulging in for seven days, I will take all the help I can get:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

will look into it!!! Know I will have my prilosec for sure!

Good tip!

I was also remembering a bad sunburn I got when I fell asleep in the sun at Serenity Bay on our first cruise. :firefight (<-- because the back of my legs were on FIRE!) We bought aloe on the cruise, but it was pricey. This time, we're buying aloe at home to take with us in case we need to treat sunburns. Of course, we plan to use sunscreen liberally (we're bringing 4 bottles!!!), but just in case, the aloe will surely be a fun-saver so we don't have to be miserable and avoid the sun.

I bought some too! :goodvibes I am trying to find a rash guard for Sabrina but no luck so far. Anyone have any ideas? She is a small juniors or a large girls -- would Wal-Mart have them? I have one for Kai already. Just thinking on the snorkel trips will need it.

......I almost feel guilty about the B2B, because I know how dreaded that day of disembarkation is! By the time we meet up with you guys, our little family of 4 will have had a nine days together and will be joined that afternoon by all the grands!

DH left the Middle East this morning. It will take him three days to make his way to Orlando where we will meet him on Thursday. He'll be meeting our flight from Frankfurt! :love1: The boys Skyped him yesterday and are over the moon that we're three days from seeing Daddy. We'll be at Ron Jon for two nights, then boarding the 12 May western caribbean on Saturday.

I'll have connectivity with my iPad if anyone has any last minute questions while we're on the western cruise. When we were on the Magic in the Med last summer, internet was abysmal. I hope it's better in the western hemisphere. Is there an area on the ship where the connection is better? Cove Cafe?

Can't wait for sun, :beach: it's been rainy and cold here this weekend. :sad1:

You must be so excited!!! Safe travels if I haven't missed you guys yet. Have fun! sounds like it is well deserved!

Anyone know of anyone deciding NOT to use their cabana? I've tried since the start of concierge booking to get one and didn't have any luck. I keep checking and checking to see if anyone cancelled, but no such luck. I've been to Castaway numerous times, but this will be the first with my DH and DD(2) - and the rest of our party.

Welcome jillianjigs!!!

Got some amazing gifts that will be used on the cruise:

The best was a brand new camera. We have a DSLR and thats awesome but my Point and Shoot was showing its wear and tear and while it works and takes great photos there are times where its known to corrupt a file, and is slow to react. Since I don't want to miss a moment on this cruise I asked for a new camera. I spent months researching cameras. We are a canon family but after all the research I went with a Nikon AW100 which is waterproof, shockproof, and freezeproof (since you know how cold Orlando gets here LOL) but is a powerful camera. I put in the request for it when asked what I'd like for graduation and my 30th birthday. Request was GRANTED!

I also got a new carry on bag for traveling. It's a Hey's bag done in a Disney themed print and is AWESOME!

Then I also got a pair of FILA Skele-toes for the beach, pool and for walking around on deck. Unfortunately, they were cute but too long and too tight in the width so we returned them and picked up a different pair so all set with those. Love them. Will take getting used to the toes but they are comfortable.

So now that the graduation is over we just have to get through this week of entertaining family. We have Epcot tomorrow with dinner at Teppan Edo, and then the Magic Kingdom on Wednesday. Might park hop Wednesday to DHS for a few rides there.

Then once they leave we will focus on packing for the cruise and getting all the last minute items we need before we leave. I can't believe that we are down to 12 days until we set sail from being 18 months out! Time at the start seemed to drag and felt so far away and now it feels like there is not enough time to get things finished and packed up.

Wow, nice gifts Amy!!! Sounds like you will have fun this week! Good pre-party before the cruise!!!

I have a pair of VIBRAM Five-Fingers. Love those things. But Pam and the kids are embarrassed to be with me when I wear them. Pam calls them my 'frog feet'. I just started running in them, (ok, jogging . . . slowly) and I really like it.

You get used to the toes pretty quickly.

My trainer and I have been talking about these and the apparent benefits to using them instead of the heavy duty running shoes I have. We may start doing some training barefoot just to try. Since tearing my calf last year I am still struggling to regain my balance and pronate a ton when I run and walk. Would love to know if it ever hurts your feet.

Guess what?! I fell behind AGAIN! I'll spare the details, but lets just say it's been the craziest week yet and I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS VACATION!!!!!!! We have some family stuff going on with my cousin (not the one in the car wreck, but the other one who had heart issues at the same time-- he's currently in cardiac ICU), so I'm praying he gets/stays stable or my husband will be the one jumping off the side of the boat b/c I'll either have to send him with or leave him with the kids :)

PT is going well-- still aiming to lose the brace in time for the cruise. Got to take it off for exercises today and did well. Probably no 5k, but I'll take what I can get, haha :)

I'll try to catch up again, but I apologize for being so bad with staying on track. Trying to fit trips from Wheeling to Cleveland as much as I can before we leave... And pack in there too!

Prayers our to your cousin. Glad to hear your PT is going well. Hang in there - sounds like you are crazy busy!

JRandAJsMom - no worries about falling behind. Clearly you've got life going on! I hope your cousin recovers quickly.

I also started coming down with a cold today, so I think I'm overall feeling a little bummed that I might be fighting feeling yucky physically (I don't have a great immune system, and bugs tend to stick with me) on top of less-than-ideal weather.

Jenny

Jenny - can't look at the weather or it will freak me out too. I am starting to get sick. More worried about the kids catching it than anything else. Bought zinc today and hoping I can fight it off. We need to be 100% by next week!!!

Amy - good reminder and thanks for the "pep" talk about the weather!

I saw the rain stuff too, but when I looked at the radar, there was nothing there or even in the vicinity of our ports... Here's to hoping they're just "pop up" showers here and there ;)

Sounds awesome! Sabrina wants to sing but can't really hold a tune. She is asking for voice lessons...think she wants to be the next Selena Gomez or something :rotfl:

Donaldsgal:
I wish you saw me read your post as I had to stifle a laugh (am at work): it gave me an amusing memory. There is a website out there that actually gives predictions for wave heights. Since it has been maybe a decade since I used, I don't have a clue the name. But I would study it frequently in the weeks before a cruise and worry over the prediction moving higher...

About 4 cruises back we did what WDWliving the dream says: and we bought 5 tiny disposable rain ponchos. We used them on that trip, but the ponchos we got for 3 cruises ago are packed for this one: no need since. So here's to keeping the trend intact: rain rain go away!!

Nice! Here's to hoping that trend continues!!!

Ok, back to work. Just wanted to catch up and pop in and say Hi!

mati

:welcome: jillianjigs7!

I have had an awesome weekend. Got some amazing gifts that will be used on the cruise:

Wow, what great gifts and so wonderful to hear you're so appreciative of them - bet you can't wait to test them out! ;)

We got our vgt room assignment today. It's a 5a 9524. Yay!!

:cheer2: Congrats!

We have some family stuff going on with my cousin (not the one in the car wreck, but the other one who had heart issues at the same time-- he's currently in cardiac ICU),

Pixie dust sent his way! :wizard:

I looked ahead at the extended forecast, and I wished I hadn't. :( It's got rain listed every day starting the 14th all the way to the 21st for Disney, Port Canaveral, and St. Thomas.

:eek: I was thought about the weather too then decided it didn't matter cuz it's warm rain anyway and if we get soaked, we'll dry off pretty quickly afterwards with the temps we'll be having. Will be bringing our ponchos but if it rains, we gonna have fun splashing in it! :cool1:

Popping in to say hi :wave2: Not to freak anyone out but...it's the last weekend before the cruise! :hyper: And no, I haven't started the packing yet :faint:

cheers,
:)

Guys, I don't mean to create any extra worry, and at this point there is no way to manage or change the status quo for your family, but I have to weigh in on something I've seen in a number of posts here and in other threads. If you leave the borders of the U.S., particularly with minors or elderly, everyone in your party should always have a passport. It's an added expense, yes, but they are good for 10 years and in worst case scenarios, if you need to fly home for an emergency or if you need to use a hospital, having one will save you hours and hours of headache time. Please never leave the U.S. without a passport if possible, even if a cruise line allows it. That said, if you are not carrying one, you are not in danger, it can be handled, but as a person who has on occasion had to help American citizens overseas, this suggestion is meant to save you A LOT of hassle.

Oh my! You should have posted this months ago!LOL This is my fear as Tony and I have passport cards. We keep saying we will get the passport and still have not done it.

Was just able to book a dinner at Palo for those who didn't get one! There are a bunch of nights and times open!
Thanks for this heads up. I was trying to respond to everyone, but had to stop to get some times while open. We got close to what we wanted so we are happy.

Quick question to anyone that drives to the port on I-75 through Georgia. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to stay? We want to stay overnight driving back after the cruise. We want to stop before we get to Atlanta.
Was going to tell you where we are stopping but Tony is fast at these responses!

Well this has been a crazy week. As you guys know, last August I decided to open my own practice. Well out of the blue, two different firms made me job offers this past week. One came from a firm that I do a lot of contract work for, and I already get along great with all the attorneys there. So, long story short, when I come back from the cruise it will be to a new job with a defense firm in Dallas.:banana::banana:

Ultimately, I will strike back out on my own - but it will be nice to have the predictable income for a few years.
:banana::cool1:Congrats! It will be a whole new world for some of us, when we get back home!

So, tonight is prom...needless to say, I'm not going. I'm on here with y'all! :rotfl::rotfl2:
Mom is headed to Orlando tomorrow on a business trip. She's returning on thursday just in time for our school pop concert.

Oh, and....14 days!!! :cool1::cool1::banana::dance3:
Megan, why didnt you go to prom? Is it your senior year? Pop concerts are the most fun. In my old days, we had one every other year and on alt. years we had a musical! Too Cool! Are you guys driving or flying to fla? We will be driving and leave a week from today.

Sometimes I am really slow at catching on to things :confused3. I just realized today that both of you are together. I couldn't find a DUH smilie for it. I went back to the front and looked at the roll call and there it is.
It took me awhile too.

Yay just booked my palo dinner res for day five ... Hopefully an earlier res opens up .. But just super happy that we finally got one .. :) and just booked scuba diving for myself at st Thomas .. The bf isn't certified and he doesn't want to try it so just me alone .. Guess I won't be needing those private tour guides

Is it easy to get around from docking and to the shops and beach? I get back at noon from diving and will probably tour the island on our own for few hrs before heading back to ship

Thanks in advance :)
Scuba diving sounds cool! Not for me, but cool none the less.

Thanks Kim. This is one thing that I was thinking could be fun, but we already have so much going on, it's not necessary to add. Just thought it would be fun. And thanks for the phone number, Tony. That's a different one than I've seen. Is that an IT number or a special guest services line?

I almost feel guilty about the B2B, because I know how dreaded that day of disembarkation is! By the time we meet up with you guys, our little family of 4 will have had a nine days together and will be joined that afternoon by all the grands!

DH left the Middle East this morning. It will take him three days to make his way to Orlando where we will meet him on Thursday. He'll be meeting our flight from Frankfurt! :love1: The boys Skyped him yesterday and are over the moon that we're three days from seeing Daddy. We'll be at Ron Jon for two nights, then boarding the 12 May western caribbean on Saturday.

I'll have connectivity with my iPad if anyone has any last minute questions while we're on the western cruise. When we were on the Magic in the Med last summer, internet was abysmal. I hope it's better in the western hemisphere. Is there an area on the ship where the connection is better? Cove Cafe?

Can't wait for sun, :beach: it's been rainy and cold here this weekend. :sad1:
Enjoy!!!! Enjoy!!!!!!Enjoy!!!!!!!

Dont give up hope!
I have had an awesome weekend. Thank you to all who gave congratulations and sent messages. I appreciate it. The ceremony was amazing. It was worth the wait and I am glad I went through the ceremony.
Like I said before. Oh wait you never saw it. Because everytime I try to post it get it started and then get sidetracked. SORRY! CONGRATZ on your amazing achievements! Looking forward to some time on the cruise to tell you in person.
Jen, first let me tell you hugs and prayers sent your way and also up. I have not watched the link yet because, let me tell you I am a SAP. It may be a happy video but I will still cry. So I will save it for after my post is done. I am also going to PT and they told me just because I go on this cruise I don't get a vacation! She is giving me HOMEWORK! Cant complain too much because it is helping. I am having a lot of neck, shoulder and back pain. I can tell you that I love love love traction! All joking aside, I hope you are in a smaller brace. Maybe you can borrow my ECV some as I would like to be without it, more this cruise than the last. :drive::drive:

Jenny
Jenny..... What is that song that Pumba and Temon sing in The Lion King? That is my family's quote for this cruise. I will let you borrow it. NO WORRIES! As far as Immune Systems go I am at a disadvantage too! My meds suppress the immune system and it makes me a little shakey getting on a cruise, but......... as the song says...... no really I cant spell it so just sing it in your head!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter