Fantasy Becomes Reality - A Land and Sea "Merrytime" Extravaganza

ZephyrHawk

Confirmed Disneyphile
Hello folks! Since I spent the past 2 years drooling over other people's trip reports while planning my own vacation, I knew I would have to eventually pay it forward by writing one of my own. And it's gonna be a good one! If you are looking for: a Disney Fantasy report, an Eastern Caribbean itinerary report, a Merrytime cruise report, a DCL first-timers' report, a "first trip to WDW" report, a WDW in December report, or a trip with extended family report, then this is the place to be reading! I'll even throw in some Star Wars: The Force Awakens release stuff just to keep it all interesting.

Hope you enjoy it!

Episode I - The One with All the People
Episode II - The One with the Planning
Episode III - The One Where We Finally Leave
Episode IV - The One with the Boardwalk and Dinner
Episode V - The One Where We Get to the Ship
Episode VI - The One with Embarkation
[This space reserved for quick link table of contents]

Last edited:
I'm in! I only have an update or two left on my Fantasy report so I need to jump in to someone else's to get my Fantasy fixes!

Episode I - The One with All the People

I believe the next step is to introduce the readers to the intrepid cast and crew that will be featured herein.

First, please allow me to introduce the reason for this trip:

IMG_20150906_101545680.jpg

This is Bee. She turned 3 shortly before the trip. Bee has never been to Disney World before, and boy is she in for a treat. Ever since she was old enough to sit through a Disney movie she's been told (whenever the castle and fireworks appear at the beginning) that Mommy and Daddy would take her there someday. She's excited to see the Castle, and Mickey and such, but doesn't really understand what's coming. She's been on boat trips before (since her grandparents are big boaters), but never on anything the scale of a major cruise ship.

She's shown holding her first passport which we picked up for this trip. We expect she'll get a lot of use out of it in the future because we are very big on travel in this family.

Which brings me to DH and myself:

IMG_20151017_150132762_TOP.jpg

Hi! I'm the one on the right. My name's Becky. I am 36 and I live to plan and go on vacations (Disney and otherwise). This will be my 11th trip to Disney World. I have been on a number of cruises, both as a child and as an adult, but have never experienced DCL. I have, however, done the Caribbean before....a lot. In all honesty, I did not care all that much about the itinerary, I just picked one out of Port Canaveral with places DH had never been to.

On the left is my DH, BJ. He is 38 and possibly enjoys Disney and Disney vacations even more than I do. He was a cast member way back during our college days, so suffice it to say he's spent a lot of time at the World. DH has been on one cruise and....it didn't go that well. Unfortunately, DH has issues with seasickness. Luckily, he does not appear to have passed this on to Bee. After our first cruise together he indicated that he would only do a cruise again if we did it with other people (so I wouldn't be bored without him) and, of course, provided it was a Disney cruise. One of the concerns we had going into this trip was whether the special prescription behind-the-ear patch thingy we picked up for him would work (Spoiler alert: It totally did!). Regardless, we knew he'd enjoy being back in his happy place after the cruise.

And now for the accompanying chorus members:

Bee is a very lucky little girl. She has 3 sets of grandparents, none of whom have any other grandchildren, and all of whom will be joining us for a portion of this trip.

STUDIO_SUNSET_7548889982.jpeg

These are my parents. We'll call them Papa and Grandma B. They have been to Walt Disney World a number of times, and most recently for a day trip in the spring of 2015. They spent that day at the Magic Kingdom and had a horrible time. Mainly, this is because they did everything wrong. And I'm not just saying that as an obsessive Disney trip planner who posts trip reports on message boards, even they admitted that they had not gone at an optimum time. Needless to say, they came back complaining of crowds, the food, the hour long wait for the haunted mansion, the cost of parking, and did I mention the crowds? Oh yeah, and they used one of their precious Fastpasses for Aladdin's Magic Carpets....

Grandma B - "I didn't know what it was! I just picked things we'd never ridden before!"

Poor showing Grandma B. :sad2:

Point is, they were very concerned that they would be standing in interminably long lines. They have faith in my mad planning skillz (and take credit for teaching them to me), but were still not looking forward as much to the Land part of the trip.

They were excited about the cruise as they are experienced cruisers. This was to be their 40-something cruise, and they're off on another one later this month. They had never, however, cruised DCL previously. They had heard good things about the line, though, and were excited to be able to carry their alcohol on board with impunity (duh, duh, DUHN...:headache:).

AK_ENTR2_7548022895.jpeg

This is Grandpa J and Grandma S (DH's dad and Stepmom.) They go to Disney World fairly frequently, but still hadn't been there from several years prior to this trip. They had no interest in the cruise portion and only joined us for a part of our time on land. They were perfectly happy to entrust all planning to me, and, in fact, were quite pleased to have everything done and paid for well in advance of the actual trip. They are the type of people who enjoy a Disney trip but wonder why on earth you'd need to spend more than 5 days there.

P1020812_1.jpg

And here, finally, we have Grandma J and Auntie M (see what I did there:rolleyes:), DH's mom and sister. They would be joining us for the last half of the land only portion of the trip. As you can see, there is some family blending going on in this trip, and it was up to me to keep the peace between the formerly married halves. Being wise, I planned only one day of overlap between the two, and everyone was on their best behavior, so it all worked out well. Auntie M had not been to Disney for about a decade (and didn't have great memories of her previous trip). Grandma J hadn't visited since around 1989, so quite a bit has changed at Disney in the intervening time (Captain Eo, notwithstanding). Both had zero expectations for the trip and were happy to let me handle all the arrangements.

And there you have it! Our merry band of Merrytime adventurers!

Episode II - The One with the Planning

No photos in this post, so feel free to skip if you're not into boring minutiae.

This trip was 3+ years in the making. No joke.

First, you need to know that I plan my vacations waaaaayyy in advance. Right now, I have tentative plans through 2024. So, long before the Bee was a glint in our eyes, I knew that our child's first Disney trip would be a big one. I knew that I wanted to wait until our child would be 3, and hopefully potty trained. I knew that I wanted to visit in early December. I knew, from the first concept drawings I ever saw of the Dream, that I wanted to sail on one of Disney's newest class of ships. And I knew that I wanted our families to be a part of it all. So, pretty much as soon as we broke the news that the Bee was on her way, we started selling our families on this trip.

I really started working on them in 2013. I asked questions and laid out the basic plans of what I wanted to do. The I sent them a survey.

No, I'm not kidding, and at least 50% of those surveyed thought it was the craziest thing they'd ever heard of. But, how else was I supposed to canvass their Disney likes and dislikes prior to building them the perfect vacation? After asking DH whether I was really serious, they all filled it out, and I used that information in forming all my plans (sometimes, to my detriment....but we'll get to that later). I also started sending out updates (multi-page manifestos), keeping everyone apprised of where I was in the planning process, what (if anything) they owed, and asking additional questions that came up during the planning. Yes, I am a little obsessive.

The Cruise

The very first thing I did was book our cruise (in May 2013). We were on the Disney Fantasy (Eastern Caribbean) for December 5, 2015 through December 12, 2015. I got us two connecting Category 4D Deluxe Family Oceanview Staterooms with Verandahs (6588 and 6590 if you're really interested). My parents refuse to cruise without a verandah (they're hard to please....this will be a running theme of the report), and I though DH might have a better time with his seasickness issues if he could see the ocean in the comfort of his stateroom. I requested a location towards the center of the ship for him, as well (I hoped there would be less rolling). After I made these reservations I realized that this was the level just above the lifeboats, and that this made them less desirable. The boats weren't a problem for us, though.

I requested the later seating, and a rotation of AERAERA. A lot of people with kids swear by the earlier seating, but our family has always been a late dining bunch. I also would arrange for DH and I to have an intimate dinner at Remy with just the two of us. My parents would have enjoyed it, but they don't like paying extra for food when they're already on a cruise. And this gave them a night to play with Bee all on their own.

I reserved two shore excursions. On St. Martin I arranged for the Seaworld Explorer submarine adventure. There aren't a lot of excursions for 3 year-olds to do. On St. Thomas I planned for DH and I to take the St. John Eco Hike. My parents were going to find something to do with Bee that day.

The Rooms

The plan was to then do a week of WDW after the cruise. Now personally, I would have preferred to go to WDW the week before the cruise, but at that time we were hoping Bee's Aunt D might be joining us as well, and so we scheduled WDW for later in the month. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to make it work with her school schedule and so cannot be counted among the cast. Regardless, I was going to need to find rooms on property for everyone (and that fit everyone's budgets) at what can be a fairly busy time of year. Preferably all in the same hotel. Also, some family members had put in a request to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. I knew that was going to be tricky to work out.

At first I thought about renting DVC points. I'd done it before with good results. But I also realized that in order to ensure I could get 4 studios at the WL in early December, I'd have to find someone with the WL as their home resort. Or more likely several people with WL home DVC resort. As I was despairing about how I could go about this and ensure that everyone had a good place to stay during their trip, I had an epiphany. I looked up some information, ran some numbers, and then said the words to DH which he'd been waiting over a decade to hear:

"I think it's time we had a serious conversation about buying DVC."

So DH rejoiced. I ran more numbers. Three weeks later, we were DVC members (I tend to make my most important decisions quickly). We chose a "loaded" resale contract, which gave us more than enough points to cover everyone who would be visiting with us for the week. We also chose a contract with WL as the home resort, which were happy with since we love WL. I never thought I'd be the kind of person to get a timeshare, but with Bee being 2 (at the time) I could see decades of Disney trips still ahead of us. Hopefully, it will pay off in the long term. In the short term, it guaranteed us the ability to keep all our families together for this trip. And exactly 11 months before our arrival dates, I secured us all rooms.

Our Family - December 12-20
Papa and Grandma B - December 12-16
Grandpa J and Grandma S - December 12-17
Grandma J and Auntie M - December 15-20

However, these were not the only rooms I reserved. Not wanting to chance missing the boat (and well aware that weather and travel in the winter can be sketchy) we decided that we and my parents would fly down the day before the cruise. We needed a room for that first night. Originally I planned to stay at one of the hotels near the port, but none of them really stood out to me. In particular, I knew my parents would want someplace where they could have a nice dinner that evening (see: hard to please), but I didn't want to rent a car to drive to the port with. So, I was undecided as to where to stay, when I had another epiphany. I'm a DVC member now! Why would I stay off property?! So, I managed to snag us each a room at the Boardwalk. It was a hotel DH had always wanted to stay at (although not one of my favorites). My parents had a garden view room and I saved the boardwalk view room for us (hey, they're my points, remember!).

The Tickets

Next up was tickets. Normally, I'd save the purchase of these until later, but I got the news that they would be soon increasing in price. So I encouraged our families to make their decisions as to type and length quickly, so I could secure them while still (comparatively) cheap. I suggested that everyone just buy base tickets. Although DH and I thrive on park-hoppers, I just didn't see us having the time to hop while running a toddler all over the place. I also didn't see us going to any of the waterparks this time, so we didn't bother with those upgrades either.

Ultimately, my family would end up with park-hoppers. This was because in July, Disney started calling people with reservations at the Wilderness Lodge and letting them know about the impending construction and expansion project going on there. I got the call in July, and my initial response was to tell the guy that: 1) I knew all about the construction, 2) that I wasn't too worried about it impacting my trip, 3) that I had 4 rooms I needed to keep together, and 4) that the only replacement room I would accept would be a monorail resort, so I did not expect he'd be able to help me. So he offered me a free upgrade to park-hoppers. I said I didn't think I'd be able to use them, but sure. I later found out I should have asked about additional fastpasses, which is what my parents were offered. These turned out to be "double secret" fastpasses, and I only wish I'd known that sooner. I would have had every darn member of my family asking for those when Disney called. But in all honesty, I just thought it was a nice gesture that they offered anything at all. Especially when I told them I wasn't all that put out by the situation.

I also got everyone (well, almost everyone) tickets to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. I say almost because I did ask beforehand if people wanted them. Grandpa J and Grandma S said no, it wasn't their thing. So, everyone else got tickets as their early Christmas present from us.

The Food

Things were calm, then, until the 6 month mark. This, of course, is when I had to get all my dining ADRs in. Some of DH's family had made some restaurant requests. Some had no clue what was on offer at Disney. I wanted to make sure that everyone had a chance at at character meal (and a chance to photograph Bee with Mickey). However, the surveys I'd sent out previously indicated that many of the attendees wanted to save money on food as much as possible, and not have too many sit down meals. So, I ended up making the following reservations:

December 4th (before the cruise) - Dinner at T-Rex
December 12th - Dinner at Rose and Crown
December 15th - Breakfast at Crystal Palace
Dinner at Ohana
December 16th - Breakfast wt Whispering Canyon
Dinner at Garden Grill
December 17th - Lunch at Be Our Guest
December 18th - Dinner (for DH and I) at Narcoosees
December 19th - Dinner at Raglan Road

These would end up changing a bit before the end.

The Touring Plan

I am not going to list every dang Fastpass we had, because it's just too much.

I will say that, originally, I had the idea that everyone could reserve their own fastpasses and it would be great because then everyone would be doing what they wanted. However, after reading a bit on fastpass reservation (and the voluminous threads about what to do) I decided that there was no way in heck I was going to let my families touch this one. I sent out a manifesto which said, in no uncertain terms, that I would be doing ALL the fastpasses, and that they would just have to trust me.

The basic park touring plans were as follows:

December 12th - Epcot
December 13th - Animal Kingdom
December 14th - DHS
December 15th - Magic Kingdom (including MVMCP)
December 16th - Epcot
December 17th - Magic Kingdom
December 18th - DHS
December 19th - Animal Kingdom
December 20th - Magic Kingdom

The Little Extras -

I decided to buy into Memory Maker. I'm something of an amateur photographer, so usually I prefer to take my own pictures. But I acknowledge that sometimes I need to actually be in the pictures. Although normally I'd only perhaps buy one photopass picture (with me in it) per Disney trip, I determined that with 4 families, that may not be touring together all the time, there might be a benefit to buying the CD. I also really liked the idea of having the ride photos included.

I also decided to buy a Tables in Wonderland card. That meant I'd be paying for all my families at pretty much every meal, but we'd all ultimately be saving 20%, so it'd be good.

STAR WARS -

So, I realized pretty early on that we'd be in WDW for the release of The Force Awakens. I thought Disney might do something special in the parks for the release, but as time went on there was no indication that anything was planned. So, instead, I planned to just get us tickets to the movie at DTD on the release date. As I prepared to flex my fingertips in the online race to get tickets, they released information about the special screening and DHS after-party. I texted DH the link, just as a "hey, look at this cool thing." Cue DH geeking out over text. It seemed a little too expensive for what you got to me, but DH really wanted to do it (and DH tends to get what he wants). So, I went online 15 minutes early to try and get us some tickets and 5 minutes before the official release time, I managed to get into the ticket system. I grabbed two tickets and, being a good Disboards member, told the boards what I'd done. Cue everyone saying, "What?! Already?!" and trying to get their own. Long story short - I got really lucky to find those tickets and WE were going to the party. :)

Last edited:
Episode III - The One Where We Finally Leave

December 4, 2015

So, it was finally the Big Day!

IMG_20151204_100427348_TOPa.jpg

Of course, it took a lot of last minute scrambling to get to this big day. For one, we needed to get our Christmas decorations up early if there was to be any time to enjoy them before the actual holiday. Also, I had decided to join a Fish Extender group on the cruise, and I had to finish up all of my gifts. I also had to make up detailed itineraries for our families so that everyone would know where they needed to be and when. I even laminated them! (Yes, I am an overachiever).

And of course, I had to pack. Not just me, but the Bee as well. I started getting her stuff together as soon as I switched her summer clothes out for the fall. As cheesy as I think it is, I made the decision to put all her outfits into individual plastic bags so I could keep all the little socks and matching hair ties and the like together. So she was done packing several days before we were to leave. I, however, was not. And I had to pack for 17 days, inclusive of costumes and evening outfits for the cruise. I don't do laundry on a trip unless I absolutely have to, and I didn't plan to do any this trip.

We ended up with 3 suitcases, 3 rolling carry-ons, an umbrella stroller, my purse, and DH's magic travel jacket (it's got lots of pockets). That turned out to be exactly one too many suitcases for us to handle on our own.

Although we normally leave on early flights so as to maximize our time in Disney World we had no plans to go to any parks this day, so there was no reason to rush. This left us time for last minute moving around of packed items (to get under the weight restrictions), and to take the picture above. We headed out around 10am. When we had just got on the road my parents called. They were already at the airport and were waiting for us. They are....punctual folk. We were completely on time (for once) by my reckoning, even though we had about an hour's drive ahead of us.

We normally would fly out of Detroit, but we had booked flights out of Flint because Southwest (our preferred airline) flies direct out of Flint to Orlando for reasonable prices. (You've probably heard of Flint. It's been in the national news a lot recently. Not for good reasons). Another good thing about the Flint airport is that they have really cheap long-term parking. We parked and hopped on the shuttle (with help from the driver because, as I mentioned, one too many suitcases). On the drive to the terminal we got to talking with the one other guy on the shuttle, who turned to be a long time DVC member! Then we made our way (very slowly) into the terminal and up to check our bags.

After relieving ourselves of some baggage we found my parents. We made our way quickly to the security check because we wanted to try and grab some lunch before boarding. This is where I made my first mistake. DH took Bee through the easy metal detecting scan, and I was left to coordinate all our packages and stuff that were going through the conveyor. I managed to forget that my laptop/tablet was in my purse. I had not taken it out to be scanned independently - which is an aspect of the security check I find particularly annoying. I knew that this meant I was going to have to go through an automatic additional screening process, so I sighed, and sent everyone else on ahead of me.

When I finally caught up they had already determined that there was about an hour until boarding and located a fast food spot for lunch. I sent DH with Bee to find us all a table and grabbed food. We all had a quick lunch and then immediately jumped into line for boarding. I had technically logged on a little late the day before to secure us seats, so we all had tickets in the mid B range. However, DH and I planned to board with the Bee during family boarding between the A and B groups, and we were pretty sure we'd be able to hold some seats together for everyone. I waited in the family boarding line with the stroller and managed to meet another Disney traveler. This woman was leaving on the same cruise we were the next day! I asked her where she was staying that night. She said she didn't know and that they would figure that out when they got down there. :scared1: I'm sure they found someplace, but as a consummate planner this just surprised the heck out of me.

We secured some seats and DH "saved" a couple for my parents. I know that some people look down on this practice a bit, but it wasn't a full flight or anything. My parents even ended up having a free seat in their row. We buckled up and got ready to fly. Bee has already flown several times before and never had any problems, so we weren't too worried about her.

DSCN0915.jpg

I did bring a whole bunch of toys to entertain Bee (her carry-on was full of them), but nothing really beats a Disney video on the laptop. My dad is friends with a Southwest flight attendant, and she had gotten us a sheet of free drink tickets, so all the adults relaxed with some adult beverages (for free!). Soon we were touching down in everybody's favorite airport - MCO! We made our way to the faux-no-rail and secured a seat in the front, so we could get this photo:

IMG_20151204_152845583.jpg

We entered the main terminal and admired the large Christmas tree decorating the center. I noted that everyone was going to have a lot more spectacular decorations to look at before the trip was through. My parents were amused by this sign, and I decided we should get the classic Orlando airport photo.

IMG_20151204_153327363a.jpg

We made it to the bottom floor and headed towards Magical Express. Bee was super excited at this point (or perhaps just glad to not be seated on a plane anymore). We let her run ahead a bit, but not too much. I wanted her to get some independence, but not so much as to bother people. We had recently been working with her on "situational awareness", or more plainly "try not to run into people!" She had struggled with it on a recent trip to Washington D.C., but was a lot better at it by the end of this trip.

We made it to the ME desk, and our Magic Bands worked fine. We walked right through the line and onto a bus. We only waited maybe 10 minutes before we were on our way. Bee wasn't all that interested in the informational programming or even the cartoons. She was having fun looking at what was outside. We told her to watch out for alligators, and that took her attention for a while ("We gotta stay away from the alligators!"). She also noticed several herds of cows ("HI COWS!!!"). For comparison, the other girl Bee's age on the bus fell asleep during the trip.

We stopped at Caribbean Beach Resort and another one (I think) before finally arriving at our destination - The Boardwalk Resort!

Last edited:
Episode IV - The One with the Boardwalk and Dinner

December 4, 2015 cont.

We arrived at the Boardwalk resort, and were immediately met by two CMs armed with tablets. They took us directly to the check-in desks. That's the kind of attentive service I was hoping for, as I knew it would please my parents. I had already checked us in 60 days prior, so the actual check-in process went very quickly. We finished before my parents, so I went over to them to find out their room number. I know it's not as important in these days where everyone has a cell phone, but I still have the habit of immediately figuring out what everyone's room number are first, so that you can get ahold of them. They told me the number, and before I could say anything else, the CM working with them looked directly at me and said, "It's close." It seems he recognized me as the trip coordinator and figured I was concerned about their room placement. I wasn't, but I was happy to hear they would be close to us.

We took the elevator upstairs and headed towards our room. It was pretty far down the hall. I was sort of expecting this as I know the incredibly long hallways are one of the hallmarks of the Boardwalk. Both my parents and DH would complain about the walk over the next day, but I didn't really have all that much of a problem with it. The room was fine, especially for just one night. Just so you understand, a room has to be really bad for me to be disappointed. I see them as nothing more than a place to lay your head. I require indoor plumbing and working heat/ac in my hotel rooms, and that's about it. But this was nice and, I believe, recently renovated. What was really nice was the view:

IMG_20151204_164725851.jpg

I thought it would be neat to watch Illuminations from there, but alas, we never got the chance.

Bee liked the balcony:

IMG_20151204_164554526_HDRa.jpg

Unfortunately, it was time for her to take a nap. So we pulled out the couch-bed and set her down. Now, I know what you're thinking. Doesn't the Boardwalk have those nifty Murphy beds under the TV? Why yes, it does. And we remembered that fact the next day, after it was too late to have Bee sleep on it.

While DH got Bee settled, I decided to find my parents. I opened the door...to see my dad coming out of the door directly across from ours. That is pretty close! Their room was very similar to ours, but with a view of the Swan/Dolphin. We later determined that they were directly above the croquet green (FYI - the Boardwalk has a croquet green). We then, of course, had to mutually visit one another's rooms, and Bee got to delay her nap a few minutes longer.

This is the point where my dad asked when they could expect to receive their luggage. I told him it would probably be 3-4 hours, and he looked shocked. Now I KNOW I put this information into one of my manifestos, and it saddened me that most of our families didn't bother to actually READ them, but I digress. He seemed perturbed that it would take so long and this became a point of contention for the remainder of the evening. Why did he want his luggage so bad? I don't know....he's hard to please. So, let this be a warning to you! Magical Express is not the world's fastest delivery service. Plan (and pack) accordingly.

Bee napped. I couldn't nap, so I played on my phone. And DH went out to play his game.

Have any of you heard of the game Ingress? It's this game you play on your phone. It's like geocaching, but with virtual portals. And you get together with other game players and team up to make virtual triangles and capture territory and stuff. Well, anyways, DH likes to play it. I usually am supportive of his hobbies, but this one is kind of annoying from time to time. Prior to going on this trip we made a strict rule: Thou shalt not play Ingress unless the Bee is napping. So, DH took his chance to get some game time on while the rest of us were resting. Eventually, though, he returned and we had to get ready for dinner.

Originally I had wanted to eat at Beaches and Cream, but that turned out to be basically impossible to get. My second choice was T-Rex, because I thought Bee would like it. I was able to get 6pm reservations there, but I wasn't happy with that because it would require us to rush directly off the ME bus and onto a DTD bus (should I say Disney Springs instead? Nah, DS is a silly abbreviation and you all know what I mean.). I searched the Disney site several times a day for, basically, 6 months, and finally, a couple days before the trip, managed to snag an 8pm T-Rex. So we were able to settle in before having to head out.

On the way to the bus I pointed out to my parents the gingerbread store made from gingerbread. They thought it was cute. We then waited about 10 minutes for a DTD bus. Now, this is where we found out something about the Disney buses we hadn't known before. DH and I have ridden Disney buses many times without significant problems, and even though I'd read some complaints about the transportation recently, I put this down to normal Disboards grousing. It is not. The transportation situation at WDW right now, and especially for DTD, is NOT GOOD. We got on the bus and took the seats in the very back. They were warm...quite warm....which I liked and DH found uncomfortable. Well, we later found out the seats were probably that warm because the engine was overheating. The bus wound its way to the Swan/Dolphin, and the Beach Club, and took the long way around (it seemed) for DTD. DH was getting antsy (because he wasn't sure exactly when our reservations were), and my dad was getting antsy (because he's hard to please), and Bee was annoying her grandmother (she had latched on to the whole alligator thing again and wouldn't stop talking about it), and then the bus stalled out in the middle of a turn lane. All the passengers started looking around at one another saying, "What's going on?" I had several moments of panic where I had to imagine explaining to my (hard to please) parents that, no, seriously....nothing like this had EVER happened to us on a Disney bus before. Luckily, the driver got the bus started and we made it to DTD, but it was a near thing!

So, we started heading towards T-Rex. I want to say that I really like the new bridge across the bay. Eliminating having to go the long way around this part of the marketplace was a great idea. We stopped for minute to watch the Rainforest Cafe alligator, and then made our way towards its sister restaurant. We had a good 15 minutes to spare, so we showed Bee and my parents some of the awesome Lego sculptures. We approached the restaurant and I was about to head to the check-in desk inside....when I realized the desk was OUTside....at the end of a long line of people. For the second time in 20 minutes, my heart sank. I had figured that was the line of people trying to get in without reservations, not a line of people WITH valid reservations. But, trying to act like this was totally normal and expected, I hopped into line.

It didn't take too long before we were handed a pager. Then it was probably a 10 minute wait (at the most) before we were called to our table (phew!). We were seated in the ice cave room, and that was pretty cool because the walls kept changing color. We amused ourselves with pointing out how the look of our clothes and things on the table would change with the ambient light. This became less amusing once our dinner was brought out. It turns out that some food turns rather unappetizing colors under certain shades of light. Regardless, we all thought the food was fine. Nothing earth shattering, but then we weren't expecting that. Bee alternately liked and was afraid of the dinosaurs. She's fascinated, and intimidated. She insisted on showing everyone around the restaurant one by one, but was scared whenever she'd get up close to one. My parents paid for their own dinner tonight because I didn't have TIW yet, and T-Rex doesn't take it anyways.

Afterwards, my mom commented that it was bound to be crowded as it was a Friday evening in December at a major shopping area, which is not something I had considered. My parents wanted to buy some pastries to keep in their room for breakfast the next day. DH and I both suggested the Boardwalk Bakery, but we weren't sure it would still be open by the time we made it back. My dad seemed a bit perturbed that I didn't know when it closed (hey, we all know I'm super organized, but no, I do not have the operating hours of every dang Disney store memorized!). So we walked the long way around back to the bus stop, but they didn't find anything they wanted at Ghiradelli or Starbucks. So we headed back to the bus and waited in a line for another 10 minutes for a bus to come. My dad was less than pleased with the transportation arrangements at this point, but I was willing to believe they were just having an off day (spoiler alert: they weren't).

The bus went directly back to the Boardwalk (thankfully) and the Bakery was still open. Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of options left at that time of night, but it was enough for my parents to find something. I picked up a couple items as well. Bee ran around with some boys on the lawn area behind the Boardwalk for a while, then we all headed back to our rooms. It had been a super long day and we were all ready for bed.

Next up: Embarkation day!

Last edited:
I'm signing on! I'm finishing my Dream TR from last March and going through cruise withdrawal so I'm helping it with other TRs! I love your DD, she's adorable! My sister has DVC and we stayed a night at BW after Christmas. I slept on the pull out dresser bed that you mentioned. It was more comfortable than the pull outs I slept on for the rest of the week at various DVC resorts! They do have egg crates you can ask for if you rent again and have to use the sofa bed!

Episode V - The One Where We Get to the Ship

Saturday, December 5, 2015

I set an alarm for the morning, but ended up not needing it as my natural alarm went off first and refused to let me lie still. Instead I got up to make some coffee, and before I was finished, Miss Bee was awake as well. I told her to keep quiet, while I slipped downstairs to get some juice. I found my way to the small Boardwalk store and purchased a small (overpriced) bottle of apple juice. Returning to the room Bee and I tried having a simple breakfast of pastries on the balcony. Unfortunately, that involved a bit too much sitting without entertainment for Bee, so she went back inside to watch TV. Luckily, DH was waking up at this point. I got some lovely pictures of the lake area coming awake, and enjoyed my coffee and eclair in silence.

Good morning Epcot resorts!

BoardwalkPanoramic_1.jpg

I love a good panorama.

Anyways, it took a while to get everyone up and dressed, and then to coordinate with my parents. We had plans to take a quick walk around the lake, but they weren't too interested. So DH, Bee and I took a little morning walking tour. Bee once again was running ahead and had to be reminded of her situational awareness. A greens-keeper's golf cart came out of nowhere and, even though she wasn't near it, it startled her. Oddly, this was pretty much the last time we had to remind her of that all trip. We visited the Beach Club lobby because DH wanted to see the gingerbread decorations there:

IMG_20151205_091135648%201.jpg

I liked that the carousel actually turns. Personally, I love the Beach Club and really want to stay there. But DH wanted to try the hotel of the hideous clown pool instead, and so we did. Someday, I will get to Stormalong Bay....someday.

IMG_20151205_091506786a.jpg

We next headed to Epcot, but only to the front gate to purchase my TIW card. At this point, Bee asked where Belle was and I (stupidly) told her that she could be found in France. I then pointed out the mock Eiffel Tower that could be seen over the trees. Bee, of course, wanted to go meet Belle immediately. I had to explain that this was not part of the days plans and she'd have to wait.

Short content break for budgetary discussions - So, I have a Disney Visa card which earns me points towards Disney vacations. I had been saving points for a couple of years, which I used to pay for a portion of the cruise costs. However, when I was paying off our cruise balance, my parents, knowing I get double points for Disney related purchases, asked if I could pay off their cruise for them (which they would reimburse me for later). I didn't see why I couldn't. So, I paid for both our cruises, and earned double points on those expenses. I then used those points to buy the TIW card (leaving me a good $40 in Disney dollars). The card saves everyone 20% on food and drinks at all the sit down restaurants we were scheduled at, but in order to get the discount I have to buy the meals (and have them reimburse me later). I, of course, use my Disney Visa to pay for the meals, so I get double points for everyone's food, which I can then apply to our NEXT Disney trip (Est. January 2018). I save 20%, my families save 20%, and I earn double points, using a card I didn't really pay for anyways, because I bought it using points. Everybody wins! The beauty of this set up continues to amaze me.

Okay, back on track.

We then hopped the boat back to the Boardwalk, and since there aren't too many folks returning from the International Gateway at that time in the morning, we had the boat to ourselves. We returned to our rooms and I spent some time rearranging items in our suitcases before we were to leave. When it was time to go we once again found ourselves in the predicament of having one too many suitcases. My parents' couldn't help because their hands were full. So DH went down to the lobby first and left me with some suitcases for the second trip. I really hate just sitting around with nothing to do, so I was rather miffed at being left to brood. Meanwhile, everyone else was hanging out in the lobby taking photos:

DSCN0923.jpg

We eventually made it down and outside to the valet area. After about 5 minutes of waiting, wherein DH revealed that he had somehow (in all this luggage moving) found time to purchase a gingerbread man from the store, Bee announced that she needed to visit the restroom. Because of course she did. I took her back inside and found the potty. Afterwards, our ride still had not arrived, so we waited a bit longer. I had scheduled us with FL Tours. I did not want to take the Disney transportation because of how late it arrives, and because we wanted to stop at a store first. Soon, our driver pulled up, and in a few minutes we were on our way.

The drive to the port somehow took longer than I thought it would. We did make a stop at a store not far from the port (a Publix, I think). There we bought some goldfish snack packs, some diapers (Bee is day trained, but nights are still iffy), and, of course, alcohol. Now I mentioned previously that my parents were pleased originally at the idea that they could bring onboard any alcohol they wanted, and I was pleased that they were pleased. So when DCL changed its policy in September I was a little miffed, but not on my own behalf. I ended up purchasing 3 bottles of wine, which I figured were more than enough for me for the entire 2 weeks. My parents purchased 5 bottles, one of which they gave to me to carry as part of the quota my stateroom was permitted. DH doesn't really like wine, and was spending the whole week on seasick medication anyways, so he didn't care at all. I am personally a rules monger, and saw no reason to bring any other alcohol on board. That being said, I can confirm that some people (who may not be as principled as me) did manage to sneak additional alcohol on in their checked luggage. Use this information at your own risk.

Bee needed to use the restroom (again) and we ended up taking a little longer in the store than we intended. We were glad to see our driver hadn't taken off without us in frustration. Soon we were on the road again, and driving over the bridge where you can finally see the little toy cruise ships off in the distance. Bee had trouble seeing them from her seat, though, so she didn't quite have the excited response I had hoped for. The ships got closer and closer, until we were turning into the port. We pulled up to the curb, and as fast as we could get out of the van (not that fast, we had a toddler to disengage) there was a CM there ready to tag and take our bags. I needed to spend a minute getting our papers in order and making sure we carried on the stuff we most needed (and the alcohol, of course). My parents kept their rolling suitcases with them because they keep certain valuables in them and wanted to hold on to them. I knew they wouldn't want to drag those bags all over the ship with them and that this would be an issue later on.

We headed into the terminal, and went through security.

Obligatory photo of the model ship:

P1010653_1.jpg

Minnie was just leaving as we were entering, but I knew we'd have a lot more chances to meet her later in the week. A CM directed us into the line labeled for silver Castaway Club members, even though I told him we weren't. Well, I wasn't going to complain. We lined up and I got out our "no we don't have Ebola" forms, which I'd forgotten to have everyone sign earlier. The line moved quickly, we got checked in, and had our pictures taken. There was a significant line to get the kid's club wristbands, but I had heard it was better to secure them before getting on the ship. So DH and I stood in line with Bee while my parents talked to a former snowbird CM who now was living the retired life in Florida. It turned out to be a good thing that we waited, because I realized I had never told DH (or anyone) the secret password I had set up for getting Bee out of the kid's club. It would have been bad if I hadn't been reminded of it at check-in (and of the need to tell others about it).

Then we were ready to board. We passed under the Mickey ears and got into line. We'd been in line for about a minute when Grandma B asked, "Is this line for pictures?" I told her I thought it was for the picture they have to take before you get on the ship for facial recognition purposes. The instant I said that I realized that couldn't be true, because they'd taken that photo when we checked in. There did appear to be an open walkway next to us, it's just that no one was getting in that line. Just then, someone did walk by and immediately entered the gangway. We realized we'd been standing in line for a photo in front of a silly background that we had zero interest in purchasing. We switched lines and headed up the gangway to our home for the next week...the Disney Fantasy!

Next Up- The Fantasy Becomes Our Reality!

Love your TR so far, and your DD is adorable :) We have one child right now as well, a little older than your DD and we have done several WDW and couple DCL trips separately. My ultimate vacation is to go on the Fantasy first and then a week long stay at WDW and in December too so I'm super excited to read your report. Hope we can make our combo trip happen in 2017... we just did WDW in Sep 2015 and DCL Dec 2015.
Can't wait to read more, keep it coming please :-)

Just realized that we are in Stateroom 6592 which is right next to where you guys were, also category 4D. Did you like the rooms/location?

Joining in! Loving you TR so far.

Have been on a couple of cruises but not DCL YET! Planning a trip on DCL for NYE2018 and reports like yours gets me so excited!

Can't wait to hear more.

Hey guys! Thanks for stopping by to post. I'll be continuing soon, but wanted to answer questions first.

Just realized that we are in Stateroom 6592 which is right next to where you guys were, also category 4D. Did you like the rooms/location?

My mom and I were just discussing this yesterday. The location was great. Close to the midship elevators (where all the action is), but not too much foot traffic. Not ungodly far from the aft elevators, either. I'd like to say there was no rolling, but there was. Mind you, we had some significant surf during the trip, so it's to be expected. The size of the rooms are considerably bigger than your average cruise stateroom. My parents' room next to ours was basically identical, except that they had the extra Murphy bed near the doorwall. That meant we had extra space for a chair to sit in (this should be what yours would be like as well). The lifeboats being just beneath us wasn't an issue at all. I'll talk more about the rooms later, but you've got a good selection there!

Fun trip report! We're heading out on the Fantasy in two weeks for the Star Wars Day at Sea cruise so its fun to read others' experiences!

Episode VI - The One with Embarkation

We were met at the entrance-way by a CM who asked our family's name and, per DCL usual, shouted it out to everyone in the lobby. Now, I know a lot of people like this, but I find it kind of weird. I'm just not a "shout our name to the world" kind of girl. We found ourselves in the middle of a rather crowded atrium, full of folks trying to fit into the 6 midship elevators. It was hectic and frustrating. Here's the obligatory "not filled with angry luggage toting people" photo of the lovely Fantasy atrium:

P1010718.jpg

Now as any good Disney cruise planner knows, this is the time when you either head to lunch or get into line to book your ticketed events. My personal plan was to do both. I was going to send everyone else off to lunch, while I went to wait in line. But alas, it was not to be.

You may recall my parents dragging some of their luggage onto the boat with them? Well, they didn't want to be lugging it around anymore. I HAD mentioned that to them, but they had insisted. So they wanted to head directly to our staterooms. However, it wasn't 1:30pm yet. I told them this. They said they knew and didn't care. I said they wouldn't be able to get into their staterooms yet. They reiterated that they didn't want to drag their luggage around. So, not wanting to belabor the issue, we just headed for the rooms. We decide to skip the whole mass confusion at the elevators and head up the stairs (3 decks) to our rooms. When we got there we found about 50 other folks milling around in the elevator area because the hallways to the staterooms hadn't been opened up yet.

Grandma B: "Huh. I guess they really mean it when they say the staterooms are not ready."

Cue me mentally slapping my forehead.

Luckily, it was only a few minutes until they let everyone file into their rooms for the week. We dropped our stuff off and took a few minutes to survey the room. As many other people have stated before me, the rooms are fairly roomy and there is a lot of storage space. A lot. Like, I had shelves that stayed empty the entire trip. That's basically unheard of when cruising. I'd also like to make mention of the round tub/shower. This is by far, in years of cruising and living on boats, the roomiest shower I have ever had the pleasure of washing in. Also, the overhead rain-type of shower head was also luxurious. The water temperature and pressure remained consistent throughout. It was particularly noticeable when contrasted (in the following week) with the less than impressive showers at the Wilderness Lodge.

Finally, my parents consented to go to lunch. Now, none of us are particular fans of buffet, and my dad openly hates them, so I knew Cabanas was a big no-no. Enchanted Garden also has a buffet at this time, but at least you get a little server attention if you eat there for embarkation lunch, so I had decided it was the better option. We headed down to the restaurant and were seated. I sadly do not remember the name of our server for that lunch, because he was just great. He immediately asked the "princess" what she wanted, and was quick to bring her a bowl of macaroni and cheese. He also put on her napkin and got her small sized silverware. Bee was very impressed. She got used to being made much of by the servers very quickly. I think it was something of a shock to her when we came home to Michigan and random people stopped referring to her as princess all the time.

We all actually enjoyed the buffet food, which is saying something for my (hard to please) parents. They were quite impressed that there were crab claws and the like to be had. This was the first of many times they would be impressed by the food on the trip. I had read that DCL was just middling in the food department (as cruise lines go), but my parents were seriously happy with pretty much every meal. They have, in fact, been raving about it to all their friends. So, there you go, a professional cruisers opinion on DCL dining.

I left the table early because I knew I was running out of time to get tickets to onboard events. So I went up to the port adventures desk and got in the line (which reached halfway around the atrium). I managed to get tickets to the Disney Junior breakfast, to the princess gathering, and to the separate Anna and Elsa gathering - all of which were scheduled for the 2nd sea day. I then went down to guest services to get tickets to the gingerbread making class. Now, why are these tickets not all handed out at the same place? God knows. It makes no sense why you would be running from one line to the next (and thank goodness I didn't have to rearrange any dining reservations, because I would have had to go to a 3rd location). But I digress. I stood in the much shorter guest services line....only to find out the gingerbread classes were sold out. At this point it is maybe 2:15pm. I had never heard of someone not being able to get these tickets, so I was kind of bummed. But now you may all learn from my misfortune: Get the gingerbread tickets first!

By this time DH and Bee were back in the room, and Bee was being put down for her nap. I noted to DH that there was a DVC member meet going on right then. I wasn't really interested in whatever sales pitch they were giving, but if there was DVC swag to be handed out I wanted to be on hand (plus, I wanted to get in on the possible stateroom credit action). So I went up to the meet, signed in, and got two nice DVC tumblers. They're my new favorite "go-to" glasses at home! I returned to the stateroom and found that some of our luggage had been delivered. Also, our cabin steward had been by while I was out. His name was James and he was from the Philippines (I think). Anyways, I started to unpack what we had on hand, while DH took his turn to explore the ship a little bit. The bag with our Fish Extender had been delivered, so I hung that out and put up the one magnet decoration I'd made beforehand (a Disney Christmas wreath which, coincidentally, fit perfectly around the DVC welcome magnet we'd received).

I want to take a moment to say how neat the door decoration thing was. I wasn't sure I'd like it, which is why I didn't bring much in the way of decoration myself. However, we received so many decorative things as part of FE gifts, that by the end of the cruise our door was covered with cheer. I'm kicking myself for forgetting to photograph the door before I took it all down, but it was some serious flair. I counted 30 magnets of one sort or another that we received. It really made the door more special (and much easier to find!).

Soon enough, we had to wake the Bee so that we could go to our muster station. I had been hoping we'd get one of the indoor stations, but it was not to be. We went out on the hot, sunny, crowded deck to stand with all the other sheep.

P1010660.jpg

I believe that's the Carnival Valor in the background. We saw her take off while we were still mid-muster.

Bee was not happy to have been awakened, and was putting forth some high quality whining.

Not ready for her close up:

P1010663.jpg

I wanted to go straight up to the sail away party, but DH said that Bee was clearly not up to it and should be put back to bed. I reluctantly agreed, but strangely, as soon as we walked back in to the ship (and the AC) Bee perked up. She indicated, in no uncertain terms, that she did NOT want to go back and nap more and that she DID want to watch the boat sail away. My parents weren't interested, so DH, Bee and I went up to Deck 12 to watch the festivities. We found a place on the rail where we could see everything and settled in. Bee seemed to enjoy the show (and her first distant glimpse of Mickey) and watching the ship pull away from the dock.

P1010670.jpg

DH and I finally felt like we were able to start relaxing. I noticed some pelicans flying overhead and pointed them out to Bee:

P1010675.jpg

Once we cleared the pier and were finally on our way out of port, our goal was to see the kids club. We knew we would be unlikely to have a chance to see it during a later open house event, and we adults wanted to check it out. We headed inside and down below, and this is when the rocking began to get noticeable.

Now, I grew up on boats. Rocking is nothing to me, but if you recall, DH is a land-lubber. So, of course, we all started watching him like a hawk. He already had his "patch" on, and he stated that he could feel the rocking, but that it wasn't too bad yet. (Spoiler alert: It got worse as the evening went on.) So we entered the Oceaneer club. Now, I expected this place to be pretty big, but even I was impressed. It had lots of little coves and hideaways, so you kept finding new areas everywhere. There were CMs everywhere trying to get the kids engaged in various activities, and Disney movies playing constantly on screens all over. Bee really seemed to like it.

P1010703.jpg

P1010695.jpg

Does that look comfy, or what?!

Bee particularly liked the hula hoops (Santa ended up bringing her one for Christmas).

P1010687a.jpg

We stayed until they started closing the open house portion. By this time the clubs were pretty much empty, likely because first seating for dinner was about to start. We headed back to the room and started getting cleaned up for dinner. At some point we must have stopped by the DVC info desk and picked up our DVC lanyards (because Bee is wearing hers in the photo below). Yay! More swag!

P1010715.jpg

Being raised to cruising, it's sort of in my blood to change outfits for dinner. Yes, even on the first night. That means that everyone had at least 2 outfits for every day of the cruise (not to mention all the WDW outfits). You may ask, "How did I manage to pack all of this stuff?" I'll tell you: I'm not sure. So, we all got into our nice dinner clothes and then headed next door to my parents' room for cocktails. I had told everyone not to bother with the show that evening, because it's almost universally panned by Disboards critics.

I had also told my parents about the All Hands On Deck cheese platter. We all love cheese platters, so I knew this would be a good fit. My parents had called down for one and asked (since they didn't know how much cheese there would be) how many people it would feed. They were told 1 person. I can only think that the CM on the line must have thought they meant "for dinner" because it is a size-able cheese plate which can definitely serve 2-3 comfortably. Well, because of the CM's info my parents ordered 4 plates. Yes, 4. They realized their mistake right away, but weren't going to send the stuff back. They just put it in the fridge and we didn't need to order another platter for several days. We also went to open a bottle of the wine we had brought on....and broke my parents' corkscrew. First try. Sadly, I always forget 1 thing whenever I go on a trip, and this time I had forgotten to bring my own corkscrew. Well, my dad managed to fix it well enough to be able to get the cork out, but would have to go and buy a new one soon.

FYI, they do NOT sell corkscrews in the ship stores. Why would they do that when they want you to pay a $25 corking fee? So, we had to wait until our first port to get a new corkscrew. We did cut the cocktails a bit short because we wanted to go to the tree lighting. We were a bit late and could only find a spot to see at the railing on Deck 5. There wasn't too much to see, though. Santa and Mrs. Claus came out, and the first family onboard that day was brought up to light the tree. Coincidentally, the "first family" was in my fish extender group, so it was interesting to see them in the flesh. They tossed some pixie dust into the air and......nothing. The lights didn't come on. The announcer commented that there must not have been enough pixie dust. Well, everyone went on their way and the lights flicked on a few minutes later.

Soon enough it was time for dinner. Our first night was in Animator's Palate, and I was excited to see the infamous Crush show. We were seated by ourselves, which was a bit surprising, not far from one of the big screens, but not right up next to it. We were introduced to our serving team, Rita and Frano. I know the DCL servers always get props for being excellent, and these two were no exception. I (and more significantly, my parents) have had a lot of good servers in the past, but every once and awhile you get seriously excellent servers who can literally make your cruise. These two were among that elite group. They immediately took to Bee and she to them. I wish I could tell you to request them, but Rita, by now, has ended her DCL run and gone back to Hungary (she's getting married this summer), and I'm not sure who Frano will get paired up with next. Just take my word as an experienced cruiser; they were awesome.

The dining room was fairly empty, and Rita even commented that we were some of her "die hards". No doubt some of the emptiness was due to it being a late evening on a very event-filled travel day, but almost certainly the rocking had something to do with it as well. It was rolling pretty good by this time. The servers were describing it as "pretty bad". I had a little trouble walking a straight line down the hallways, and poor Bee would spend the next 3 days tripping over everything. You know who wasn't having a bad time, though? DH. Clearly, the patch was working, because there is zero way he could have handled those kind of seas otherwise. He said he could feel the movement, and he felt like he should have been feeling sick, but he wasn't. So, if you're worried about seasickness, go to your doctor and shell out the money for the (not covered by our insurance) prescription patch. There are some side effects (DH was most disturbed by the blurred vision), but these effect were, in his words, "Much better than throwing up".

Crush came around and started talking to some people at a table near ours (to the great embarrassment of the poor lady he was addressing). My mom was seriously impressed by the technology for this show.

Grandma B: (whispering) "How do they do that?"

Me: (fluttering my hands mysteriously) "Its....MAGIC!"

We headed back to our staterooms and changed into our pajamas. We had asked James to put down the upper bunk, because I thought Bee would like it. I had thought, for some reason, that the stars on the ceiling above the upper bunk lit up, but they don't. A few days later we would find out that there is a special "nightlight" in that area of the room for little kids, but Bee didn't need or want it, so it wasn't a big deal. There were so many lights and such in that room that it took us the whole week to find them all. Seriously, I didn't know until the last day that many of them had a dimmer option.

P1010721a.jpg

I set an alarm for the morning, but we had no firm plans, so I wasn't going to be in a hurry to get everyone up. If Bee (especially) wanted to sleep in, I intended to let her.

Loving your detailed report. And giggling a bit at your descriptions of your *ahem* particular father! You seem to have a great attitude dealing with theirs!
Looking forward to all your updates!

Love you trip report and pictures so far! Looking forward to more!
We are doing our first eastern Caribbean cruise in March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter